ADVERTISEMENT

Madison vs. Reidsville

Reidsville opened 2022 playoffs with 76-14 win over Madison.

2016....1st round of playoffs...Reidsville 64 Madison County 7........................................................................................2022 1st round of playoffs...Reidsville 76 Madison County 14......little over 200 miles one way, from one school to the other.......................

Everytime I read about Madison playing, the complaints come back on this board that they play dirty and have poor sportsmanship. Seen it with Reidsville, and even Shelby complaints on here years ago.

Reactions: mhhs94
Everytime I read about Madison playing, the complaints come back on this board that they play dirty and have poor sportsmanship. Seen it with Reidsville, and even Shelby complaints on here years ago.
being in a conference with them for almost 50 years thats all you ever hear that and being bad at football, nothing against the team personally thats just who theyve been for half a century

• Wow
Reactions: Chopper747
Can someone fill us in on Madison? Just curious as during the playoffs, I like to get to know the other team. Their strengths, weaknesses. What is the community like?, etc….
Madison High School was opened in the fall of 1974. The schools were combined in name only in 1974. It consolidated the high schools previously located at Hot Springs, Laurel, Mars Hill, Marshall, and Spring Creek.

Reactions: mhhs94 and Ooooner
its kind of a shame madison made the playoffs and hendersonville didnt reidsville would still win but it would be more of a 35-14 game than a 56-7 one

Last edited:
I drive 235 miles one way every weekend to watch my grandsons play for Croatan (JV and Varsity)...but I have to admit they are somewhat better than a 2-8 squad..............kudos to those Madison parents and grandparents and whoever makes the trek to Reidsville.................Will miss the Reidsville game again this week as Croatan is traveling to Southern Nash (3A playoffs)....................

I'm sick a mnd tired of rewarding mediocrity. 2-8???? Why? Give top seeds a bye. How many people do think are making the 200 plus mile trip to watch this game.
Madison won the the 2a portion of the whc without beating the only other 2a team the only other 2a team in the conference 2-8 owen, right now the conference is comprised of 3 competetive 1a teams 2 really bad 1a teams and 2 really bad 2a teams its not really fair who ever wins the 2a portion of the conference gets a playoff bid, thats why ive been lobbying for years to have 2a hendersonville rejoin our conference hopefully it all works out next realignment id like to see brevard, hendersonville and polk join the whc and draughn patton and the rutherford county schools go back to being in a conference with shelby and burns and rosman rejoins the smc.

Last edited:
Madison won the the 2a portion of the whc without beating the only other 2a team the only other 2a team in the conference 2-8 owen, right now the conference is comprised of 3 competetive 1a teams 2 really bad 1a teams and 2 really bad 2a teams its not really fair who ever wins the 2a portion of the conference gets a playoff bid, thats why ive been lobbying for years to have 2a hendersonville rejoin are conference that hope fully it all works out next realignment id like to see brevard, hendersonville and polk and draughn patton and the rutherford county schools go back to being in a conference with shelby and burns and rosman rejoins the smc.

Reidsville could play Brevard in the 3rd round they are always hard nosed

is this the town of Nadison or county. I once knew a coach back in the 60’s that coached Madison, if my memory serves me and this goes back a ways but I believe his last name was Currin? He was a friend of my father. Dint know how successful he was winning and losing but he was popular guy I think. The last time I researched him I think he was a past president of the NC coaches Assoc

Wiz...Reidsville's foe is Madison County (in the mountains)...the TOWN of Madison is in Rockingham County (same as Reidsville)...their high school used to be Madison-Mayodan but they consolidated with Stoneville around 30 years ago to form McMichael High School...............Interesting fact, Dave Gutshall actually coached at Madison-Mayodan before going over to Burlington to coach Cummings High School (he was the man in charge during their early glory years),...later retired and coached in South Carolina....Gutshall married a girl from Madison area (Rockingham County)...............................................

Reactions: Chopper747
Madison won the the 2a portion of the whc without beating the only other 2a team the only other 2a team in the conference 2-8 owen, right now the conference is comprised of 3 competetive 1a teams 2 really bad 1a teams and 2 really bad 2a teams its not really fair who ever wins the 2a portion of the conference gets a playoff bid, thats why ive been lobbying for years to have 2a hendersonville rejoin are conference that hope fully it all works out next realignment id like to see brevard, hendersonville and polk and draughn patton and the rutherford county schools go back to being in a conference with shelby and burns and rosman rejoins the smc.
I'm not just trying to single out you guys. I know it read that way but I was really trying to make the point the nchsaa and sports in general continue to dumb down the reward for success. Split conferences suck. Hopefully when we go to expanded divisions, we won't have these issues.

I also wanted to make point that for players, fans, coaches etc it's nothing fun about it. I'll give it credit, if the team has never made the playoffs or it's been a long time. However, with the current rules that doesn't apply often. Good thing about it is that the visitors will have new concessions and bathrooms on the visitor side. Good luck and if you need any good places to eat dinner or hotel info let me know.

Wiz...Reidsville's foe is Madison County (in the mountains)...the TOWN of Madison is in Rockingham County (same as Reidsville)...their high school used to be Madison-Mayodan but they consolidated with Stoneville around 30 years ago to form McMichael High School...............Interesting fact, Dave Gutshall actually coached at Madison-Mayodan before going over to Burlington to coach Cummings High School (he was the man in charge during their early glory years),...later retired and coached in South Carolina....Gutshall married a girl from Madison area (Rockingham County)...............................................
And still coaching at Spartanburg Dorman

To understand this you would need to understand Madison County. Poor, rural, lots of poverty, drugs, history of political corruptness with the "Ponder Machine" and the list goes on and on and on. Seriously, they used to call it "Bloody Madison" for a reason. I think the nickname originated during the Civil war but it carried through many generations. If you ever get a chance, Google it, but the point is those people are just different up there. It's in the water. 😆

Who was. The coach before Gutshall , or. Before him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT