ADVERTISEMENT

Madison vs. Reidsville

Oh hell, you’ve done it now!
Yeah, You guys need to take it easy on some of these Shelby posters. After all, with Crest now dominating Cleveland County football and Shelby showing signs of decline the anxiety and stress levels for the three in one poster and his brothers in arms have to be getting at pretty unhealthy levels. Now all they can do is trash Reidsville football.o_O :cool: :po_O

Yeah, You guys need to take it easy on some of these Shelby posters. After all, with Crest now dominating Cleveland County football and Shelby showing signs of decline the anxiety and stress levels for the three in one poster and his brothers in arms have to be getting at pretty unhealthy levels. Now all they can do is trash Reidsville football.o_O :cool: :po_O
Well at least they are still good at something.

To understand this you would need to understand Madison County. Poor, rural, lots of poverty, drugs, history of political corruptness with the "Ponder Machine" and the list goes on and on and on. Seriously, they used to call it "Bloody Madison" for a reason. I think the nickname originated during the Civil war but it carried through many generations. If you ever get a chance, Google it, but the point is those people are just different up there. It's in the water. 😆
It was “Bloody Madison” because confederate troops tortured and killed a group of people (men, women, and children) they claimed were Union sympathizers. Madison didn’t really support the Confederacy because there wasn’t a slave population in the area and many were actually pro-USA Unionists (as was Zeb Vance before he decided to side with NC as governor during the war). Hence, the Confederacy looked at it as a hostile area. This incident is known as the “Shelton Laurel massacre”.

Didn’t need to Google it but I imagine it says something similar, most of my family is out of Madison, Yancey, and Mitchell and they have never had anything to do with Confederate flags going back to that incident.

Also know that the Ponder Machine has been gone for a long time. Zeno and E.Y. Ponder have been dead for decades so no need to worry about small town politics.

Footnote: the TV show Archer is written by Adam Reed from Asheville and had a character named Sheriff E.Z. Ponder in one of the season 3 episodes, a nod to the Ponder Machine.

Last edited:
It was “Bloody Madison” because confederate troops tortured and killed a group of people (men, women, and children) they claimed were Union sympathizers. Madison didn’t really support the Confederacy because there wasn’t a slave population in the area and many were actually pro-USA Unionists (as was Zeb Vance before he decided to side with NC as governor during the war). Hence, the Confederacy looked at it as a hostile area. This incident is known as the “Shelton Laurel massacre”.

Didn’t need to Google it but I imagine it says something similar, most of my family is out of Madison, Yancey, and Mitchell and they have never had anything to do with Confederate flags going back to that incident.

Also know that the Ponder Machine has been gone for a long time. Zeno and E.Y. Ponder have been dead for decades so no need to worry about small town politics.

Footnote: the TV show Archer is written by Adam Reed from Asheville and had a character named Sheriff E.Z. Ponder in one of the season 3 episodes, a nod to the Ponder Machine.
I know for a fact yancey county didnt fight for the confederacy being from yancey myself but the amount of knowlege i retain about surrounding areas is about as much i did of geometry lol i was sold at bloody madison lol

Reactions: jumbob and Ooooner
I drive 235 miles one way every weekend to watch my grandsons play for Croatan (JV and Varsity)...but I have to admit they are somewhat better than a 2-8 squad..............kudos to those Madison parents and grandparents and whoever makes the trek to Reidsville.................Will miss the Reidsville game again this week as Croatan is traveling to Southern Nash (3A playoffs)....................
That is awesome. That tells me you are one good grandpa.

Madison is in our 1A/2A conference and they aren’t a threat. It’s sad that either Madison or Owen gets a free playoff bid because neither school takes football seriously these days. Back in the day both programs could deliver the wood but not any more.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Madison is in our 1A/2A conference and they aren’t a threat. It’s sad that either Madison or Owen gets a free playoff bid because neither school takes football seriously these days. Back in the day both programs could deliver the wood but not any more.
Owen wasn’t too long ago for good football but that whole community has had major demographic changes.

As for Madison, going back to 80s, they’ve just looked for years they could be locally relevant.

When were they strong?
Just wondering because I’ve never really heard ol’ timers mention Madison much either like the stories that can be conjured up for other programs.

2012 was the only really great team they've ever had, theyve always been a physical team but if you look back all of their teams between the 70s when they first consolidated and today 95% of those teams were between 0-10 and 4-6 the other 5% were between 5-5 and 6-4 plus the 2012 team, I remember one of their teams in 2016 was 5-6 and they were alot more competetive than their record I think they beat a 10-3 brevard team so a sub 500 record doesnt mean a teams bad but when you only have one really good season in 50 years of football it probably means youre progams not so good, Owens a different story entirely they went from being a treat to win conference for the better part of 30 years to being lucky to win more than one game a season.

2012 was the only really great team they've ever had, theyve always been a physical team but if you look back all of their teams between the 70s when they first consolidated and today 95% of those teams were between 0-10 and 4-6 the other 5% were between 5-5 and 6-4 plus the 2012 team, I remember one of their teams in 2016 was 5-6 and they were alot more competetive than their record I think they beat a 10-3 brevard team so a sub 500 record doesnt mean a teams bad but when you only have one really good season in 50 years of football it probably means youre progams not so good, Owens a different story entirely they went from being a treat to win conference for the better part of 30 years to being lucky to win more than one game a season.
I think Ben Rhodarmer could have got the program in about as solid of shape as it could be if he would have stayed there but he chose not to be there long.

Owen went from gritty Swananoa valley/ Black Mtn. boys and rabid support to a community of old, wealthy “Halfbacks” but not the football variety.

One of the earliest "Mountain" teams I remember playing Reidsville was the 1954 Andrews team. I remember they wore Red and White uniforms. I think it was the Western 2A finals. Are they still around?

Owen wasn’t too long ago for good football but that whole community has had major demographic changes.

As for Madison, going back to 80s, they’ve just looked for years they could be locally relevant.

When were they strong?
Just wondering because I’ve never really heard ol’ timers mention Madison much either like the stories that can be conjured up for other programs.
They were never that good but Madison was much more physical. They didn’t have a lot of athleticism but had some of the best ferocious tacklers in our conference. Usually could beat them but black and blue the next day.

Reactions: mhhs94
One of the earliest "Mountain" teams I remember playing Reidsville was the 1954 Andrews team. I remember they wore Red and White uniforms. I think it was the Western 2A finals. Are they still around?
Still exist. In Cherokee County with an ADM of 221 in a 9-12 school.

Reactions: mhhs94
Still exist. In Cherokee County with an ADM of 221 in a 9-12 school.
last year was one of andrews best teams in school history they have d1 lineman last name west still on the team this year in a roaster of 19 players he sticks out like a sore thumb lol, murphy usually gets the cream of the crop in cherokee county

This was one of the old stories I heard just the other day about that Andrews vs Reidsville game in 1954. A gentlemen I know that grew up in Swain County was talking about Andrew’s ‘54 season and how good of a season they had.

He also mentioned some tough playoff games of different Mtn. Teams against NC School of the Deaf, I believe, from back in those days so I thought that was pretty neat.

This was one of the old stories I heard just the other day about that Andrews vs Reidsville game in 1954. A gentlemen I know that grew up in Swain County was talking about Andrew’s ‘54 season and how good of a season they had.

He also mentioned some tough playoff games of different Mtn. Teams against NC School of the Deaf, I believe, from back in those days so I thought that was pretty neat.
Reidsville beat an undefeated Andrews team 21-7 in that 1954 Western 2A Finals game. Ask your gentleman if anyone recalls a play where a Andrews player tried to tackle a Reidsville RB (probably Donnie Coker) near the goal line on a sweep play around right end and the Andrews player suffered an injury to his collarbone or shoulder. I have always wondered who the Andrews player was and the extent of his injury. I remember he was down on the field a long time.

Also, does Andrews still wear Red & White uniforms. I thought they had some of the best looking uniforms of any of the teams during that era.

Reidsville beat an undefeated Andrews team 21-7 in that 1954 Western 2A Finals game. Ask your gentleman if anyone recalls a play where a Andrews player tried to tackle a Reidsville RB (probably Donnie Coker) near the goal line on a sweep play around right end and the Andrews player suffered an injury to his collarbone or shoulder. I have always wondered who the Andrews player was and the extent of his injury. I remember he was down on the field a long time.

Also, does Andrews still wear Red & White uniforms. I thought they had some of the best looking uniforms of any of the teams during that era.
Memory like an elephant. Maybe that slogan needs to be changed to memory like The Mule.

Why have they not forfeited this game yet? I'd be ashamed to waste my school's resources by taking my team over 3 hours to get whooped, knowing that we didn't truly earn a playoff spot (split conference technicality). If the game was less than an hour away with our unearned playoff spot, then sure. Or if the game was 3 hours away, but we earned the playoff spot, then ok. But knowing that we didn't do anything to be here, PLUS having to travel so far away just to play a game in which our players will be embarrassed.....ain't no way.

For the good or bad of it, this will be the last week for those seniors. Hopefully they enjoyed the moments and will walk away tonight with their heads held high regardless of the score.

How’s that line go….I hate you for this, you make me sound like a parent.

Memory like an elephant. Maybe that slogan needs to be changed to memory like The Mule.
Ha! Of course that game was played in Kiker Stadium. Reidsville was driving towards the end zone away from the field house towards Morehead Street.

I see Bobby Cooke at the Bojangles on Freeway from time to time so maybe he will remember the game.

Reactions: Ooooner
end of first quarter

Madison 0
Reidsville 20

R - Jariel Cobb 7 run (Kendre Harrison pass from Dionte Neal), 6:07 first quarter
R - Dionte Neal 69 pass from Al Lee (pass failed), 3:44 first quarter
R - Paul Widerman 2 run (pass failed), 0:21 first quarter

Reactions: ReidsvilleRam90
HALFTIME
Madison 0 0
Reidsville 20 23

R - Jariel Cobb 7 run (Kendre Harrison pass from Dionte Neal), 6:07 first quarter
R - Dionte Neal 69 pass from Al Lee (pass failed), 3:44 first quarter
R - Paul Widerman 2 run (pass failed), 0:21 first quarter
R - Markez Horne 14 interception return (Cam’ron Jones pass from Neal), 11:11 second quarter
R - Cobb 1 run (Grady Barrett kick), 2:57 second quarter
R - Jones 72 pass from Lee (Widerman pass from Neal), 1:14 second quarter

Rams have scored on every possession

Halftime numbers
Lee 7 of 9 for 216 yards passing; Harrison 3 receptions 42 yards, Jones 2 receptions 76 yards.
Flippen leading rusher with 2 carries for 43 yards, Cobb had 33 yards on 3 carries.
Rams have only run 18 offensive plays; Madison 30 plays for 52 yards

2 more second half scores ... 58-0 running clock

R - Jones 42 pass from Lee (Barrett kick), 10:28 third quarter
R - Johnniyus Sharpe 21 run (Diontay VanEaton pass from Sharpe), 8:24 fourth quarter

58-0 final ... next up West Stokes ... Rams won the previous meeting 49-8 about a month ago

Why have they not forfeited this game yet? I'd be ashamed to waste my school's resources by taking my team over 3 hours to get whooped, knowing that we didn't truly earn a playoff spot (split conference technicality). If the game was less than an hour away with our unearned playoff spot, then sure. Or if the game was 3 hours away, but we earned the playoff spot, then ok. But knowing that we didn't do anything to be here, PLUS having to travel so far away just to play a game in which our players will be embarrassed.....ain't no way.
Probably the pride of seeing something through to the end even if it doesn’t work out for them. I mean, high school careers are short enough as it is without just quitting when you still have time to play one more time with your teammates. Heck, half the teams in the playoff know they’re not going to be here more than a week or so but they’re sticking it out as well.

NCHSAA should have a rule that a team has to be at least .500 to qualify for playoffs ... split conferences are the problem ... maybe if they go to 7 classes, the issue will be solved.

Reactions: Rammer16
Probably the pride of seeing something through to the end even if it doesn’t work out for them. I mean, high school careers are short enough as it is without just quitting when you still have time to play one more time with your teammates. Heck, half the teams in the playoff know they’re not going to be here more than a week or so but they’re sticking it out as well.
Do you agree with some 0-10 teams getting in, which is a regular occurrence in 1A, and choosing to participate?

NCHSAA should have a rule that a team has to be at least .500 to qualify for playoffs ... split conferences are the problem ... maybe if they go to 7 classes, the issue will be solved.
Their not going to pass a rule like that because about half the teams don’t meet that criteria and the NCHSAA isn’t going to effectively delete a week of playoffs and the money that brings in. Likewise, going to 7 classes would lead to even MORE playoff teams needed.

I admit it’s weird but there’s always been multiple teams with bad/losing records in the playoffs (at least in the past 4 decades that I know of). It’s not really a big deal, basically a solution looking for a problem to solve.

Their not going to pass a rule like that because about half the teams don’t meet that criteria and the NCHSAA isn’t going to effectively delete a week of playoffs and the money that brings in. Likewise, going to 7 classes would lead to even MORE playoff teams needed.

I admit it’s weird but there’s always been multiple teams with bad/losing records in the playoffs (at least in the past 4 decades that I know of). It’s not really a big deal, basically a solution looking for a problem to solve.
If they go to seven divisions, maybe only 32 will make the field in each class instead of 64 as it is now ?? One would hope.

Reactions: Rammer16 and jumbob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT