ADVERTISEMENT

2022 1A Girls Basketball Thread

Albemarle WBB 65
Christ the king 31 Final
Congrats on a big win, BDN. Based on rankings, I don't think anyone expected a blowout.

Got a question for you...I'm hearing South Stanly, for the second straight year, could not get enough girls out to put a varsity team together. Is that true? If so, what do you think is the problem down there?

SSHS has not had a decent girls team in many years, but it's inconceivable to me that they are unable to get 7-10 girls together to put a team on the floor.

Congrats on a big win, BDN. Based on rankings, I don't think anyone expected a blowout.

Got a question for you...I'm hearing South Stanly, for the second straight year, could not get enough girls out to put a varsity team together. Is that true? If so, what do you think is the problem down there?

SSHS has not had a decent girls team in many years, but it's inconceivable to me that they are unable to get 7-10 girls together to put a team on the floor.
Thank you, SS has enough girls but all were freshmen so they just ran a JV girls schedule. Our JV girls played them and to be honest it was the right move. As far as reason I’m not sure. SS has a great softball program and descent to pretty good Vball program and I think a lot of the athletes stick to that one sport. With us small 1a’s to be successful across the board kids need to play multi sports. To be honest our basketball girls are mostly 3 sport athletes. So playing fall leagues is very difficult. Most run track/cross country play soccer and Vball lol.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Key Games 12/21

Bishop McGuinness(6-0)#2 RPI 1A vs Dudley(7-3)#24 RPI 3A
Southside(8-1)#12 RPI 1A vs Rolesville(9-1)#16 RPI 4A
Draughn(5-2)#16 RPI 1A vs Ashe County(7-1)#5 RPI 3A
Perquimans(5-1)#4 RPI 1A vs Warwick Va.(5-1)

I believe Bishop is still the favorite, but you have a lot of competitive teams in Mtn Heritage, Cherokee, Albemarle, Rosman, Draughn, E Wilkes and Robbinsville.
Bessemer City has vastly improved.
E Randolph has a D1 signee in Snotherly and took down previously undefeated Manteo.

I watched Uwharrie at the Davidson-Randolph Tourn. They really struggled and lost to a then 0-10 E Davidson team. I don’t see them being as competitive as last year.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Just my opinion I think after bishop you have Mountain Heritage, Cherokee, Albemarle, Rosman, Robbinsville. In no particular order. Some teams have played tough non conference schedules that is what I’ve based my opinion on.

Just my opinion I think after bishop you have Mountain Heritage, Cherokee, Albemarle, Rosman, Robbinsville. In no particular order. Some teams have played tough non conference schedules that is what I’ve based my opinion on.
Way to early playoff matchups based off rpi
You would have bishop cherokee rosman on one side and Albemarle Mountain heritage on the other side with north Rowan etc.

Reactions: 97Cougar
I know your not supposed to compare scores but is albemarle overrated? They lost by 30 to bishop. I think mountain heritage, bishop, rosman, and Cherokee are top 4 in no particular order.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I know your not supposed to compare scores but is albemarle overrated? They lost by 30 to bishop. I think mountain heritage, bishop, rosman, and Cherokee are top 4 in no particular order.
I honestly wouldn’t look at scores early on from Albemarle. Of the 17 kids 10 are freshmen and sophomores. Additionally a lot of schools are in fall leagues etc Albemarle is not most of their kids are 3 sport athletes. Not making excuses but that was the very first game at Bishop and Bishop caught fire hitting I believe 10 3’s at an extremely high %. Lol The girls had to go through that learning process. My opinion they are extremely talented with size and speed also young. So the growth and focus the remaining part of the year would be what is to watch. They are getting consistent now. Earlier on for example when they played hopewell they were up 22 lost focus and hopewell made that a game to just this past week against north played really well and consistent

Reactions: KW23
Also I don’t believe you can look at much early on. Last year almost everybody had murphy early on not much talk about bishop. I like to look at things in pieces and how teams respond. Then when it hits playoffs it’s all about who is playing well matchups and locations.

Reactions: KW23
I haven’t seen E Wilkes play, but they did well in the Mary Garber beating E Surry and 4A W Forsyth and only lost to E Forsyth by 2, who is a top ten 4A school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT