ADVERTISEMENT

winston salem prep

KW23

Feb 9, 2011
How r they goin to be this year? any chance they knock off any of the big 3 east surry walkertown or mt airy?

Doubtful.

They'll be alright (good athletes and some size), but they don't have much in the way of numbers or experience. They should be on par with Atkins/Bishop and a notch or two above North Stokes.

How long before they start dominating like in basketball? No way these schools should be allowed to compete at the 1A level. It's joke and the coaches better wise up and vote to change the policy or it's gonna spiral out of control. And while they are at it kick the Bishop's of 1A up to at least 3A. No advantage should be given to a school that isn't available to EVERY school.

Yawn.

You realize Prep is an actual public school under the control of Forsyth County Schools, right? When the state inevitably creates a separate class for charters & parochial schools, they aren't going with them.

As for Bishop's "advantage", find me the last time they won a playoff game...I'll wait. Aside from Charlotte Catholic's run in 4A the last 2 years, no private or charter school has come within a prayer of winning anything in football.

Carry on.

Yawn.

You realize Prep is an actual public school under the control of Forsyth County Schools, right? When the state inevitably creates a separate class for charters & parochial schools, they aren't going with them.

As for Bishop's "advantage", find me the last time they won a playoff game...I'll wait. Aside from Charlotte Catholic's run in 4A the last 2 years, no private or charter school has come within a prayer of winning anything in football.

Carry on.

I will carry on. Is football the only sport they play? And if you deny they have an unfair advantage then you must be living with your head up your arse. Private schools and charter schools have NO business competing with public schools. Bishop and Catholic belong in the NCISSA or whatever it is. If they choose not too they should play up a minimum of two classifications. If you want a level playing field then follow the rules of public schools. If not everything you say is that white stuff on top of chicken crap.

I will carry on. Is football the only sport they play? And if you deny they have an unfair advantage then you must be living with your head up your arse. Private schools and charter schools have NO business competing with public schools. Bishop and Catholic belong in the NCISSA or whatever it is. If they choose not too they should play up a minimum of two classifications. If you want a level playing field then follow the rules of public schools. If not everything you say is that white stuff on top of chicken crap.

Nobody has ever denied that the charters have an advantage, particularly in club/country sports, but to make a big deal about it for football (what your original stupid comment was about) is laughable. If anything those schools are at a disadvantage because of the lack of cohesive youth programs to build from, hence why they've never won a thing.

Don't worry though, the charters and parochial schools will all be shuffled off into their own classification before too long and you can move on to the next boogeyman like open enrollment counties.

Hey BD....here's some news for you: CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!! Is that hard for your peanut brain to understand?

Hey BD....here's some news for you: CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!! Is that hard for your peanut brain to understand?

I got your peanut brain... and I understand that. You are gonna love life when you actually can't come on this board and gloat about how awesome your villians aren't!! Too bad there's nothing you can do to stop the fact justice will finally be served and the mighty powerhouse that is Bishop will no longer be relevent..... not that they ever have in anything other than girls basketball...... enjoy the football season.

Bishop posters: have you seen the proposed conferences for '17......if so, your thoughts? mine is this: you will go broke at the gate

I think it'll be fine.

The scenario that I saw wouldn't be a ton different from what it is now, the league would just be swapping Walkertown (moving to 2A) for South Stokes (back to 1A). It takes away a local school for Bishop sure, but they've been playing the Sauras every year in non-con since they left anyways and they've always brought big crowds (especially last year).

If anything I think it's good for the league as a whole. Mount Airy and East Surry have made it known they don't like the fact that the league is centered more in Winston-Salem and hurting THEIR gates, so this will level things for those two, while not hurting Bishop/Atkins/Prep in the same area much, if at all.

My duaghters attend a charter school and play sports. We have a distinct advantage over true public schools ESPECIALLY 1A schools - PERIOD. Anyone that says different is lying.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Dave2kMA,

Where have you seen that proposal? The one and only proposalI have seen will send East Surry and Mount Airy with Alleghany, East Wilkes, Elkin, and Starmount in one conference. Bishop, N Stokes, S Stokes, WS Prep, Atkins, and Carver(will be 1A) would be the other conference, adding the new charter school in Kernersville a possibility as well. That leaves West Stokes and Walkertown going with Lexington, Thomasville, etc. I have seen this proposal and heard of this one from multiple people.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
From what I heard, the state did two different proposals, one where things largely stayed the same (the one I saw) and one where they really shifted things around (yours). I hadn't seen yours until today though, so thanks for posting.

I don't see how Bishop would go broke at the gate with that one either. I know the East Surry's and Mount Airy's of the world have complained about a lack of traveling fans from Prep/Atkins in the past, but it's never been an issue because of their proximity to Kernersville. When they've played at Bishop in both football and basketball, it's made for a pretty fun atmosphere. If they actually commit to getting better and put some more resources into their programs, it'll be even better.

The folks at North Stokes would be the ones most upset with that arrangement I bet, especially given how upset they were with the last realignment. Long way until 2017 though, so we'll see where the merry-go-round stops.

My duaghters attend a charter school and play sports. We have a distinct advantage over true public schools ESPECIALLY 1A schools - PERIOD. Anyone that says different is lying.

I've always respected Griddie's opinion. Thank you for finally confirming what everyone in the state already knows but those actually involved in the charter schools refuses to admit (NCHSAA, Most charter sports parents, charter administration, etc.). I respect you even more now.

I would hope Mount Airy and Bishop would still play as non-conference Basketball games. It would be good for both as they have a lot of respect for one another. I just have never thought they belong in the same conference. This is mainly meant for basketball. If Bishop had a larger football stadium then their football program may get better. Just my opinion as it never seems to mean a lot. LOL Good luck and a safe season to ALL !

Last edited:
Where can one find these proposals? Sounds interesting.

North Stokes is never happy with anything. They were one of the main causes for the lame conferences we have had to deal with the last 2 years.

I like the idea of the proposal Dave mentioned. I reckon North and Surry Central's in the MVAC yes?

Griddie there is a little matchup coming up soon. I hope to see you there. And the Jets may get shot down!!!!!

I would hope Mount Airy and Bishop would still play as non-conference Basketball games. It would be good for both as they have a lot of respect for one another. I just have never thought they belong in the same conference. This is mainly meant for basketball. If Bishop had a larger football stadium then their football program may get better. Jusy my opinion as it never seems to mean a lot. LOL Good luck and a safe season to ALL !

photo,

I can't imagine they wouldn't continue to play each other in pretty much every sport sans football, where the Bears already have a glut of long running non conference opponents. But from a basketball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc etc etc standpoint, the schools have always been great rivals, so it would make sense for them to continue competing.

no pity for North Stokes here boys...the the football coach who served as AD pushed hard for the league as it is now...then he bolts for Brevard, gets the hook and is now at Ne Guilford....as for MA continuing to play BM, they may in some but now all.....if they change leagues they'll have to play each other in playoffs and that may be a factor

Dave2kMA,

Where have you seen that proposal? The one and only proposalI have seen will send East Surry and Mount Airy with Alleghany, East Wilkes, Elkin, and Starmount in one conference. Bishop, N Stokes, S Stokes, WS Prep, Atkins, and Carver(will be 1A) would be the other conference, adding the new charter school in Kernersville a possibility as well. That leaves West Stokes and Walkertown going with Lexington, Thomasville, etc. I have seen this proposal and heard of this one from multiple people.

Would this proposal then put Surry Central, North Surry and Forbush with the current Mountain Valley 2A teams (Wilkes Central, West Wilkes, North Wilkes, and Ashe)? I think many of the Mount Airy and East Surry affiliated supporters would prefer this potential conference.

NWWatchdog,

Yes this would put Surry Central, North Surry, Forbush, Wilkes Central, West Wilkes, and Ashe in the same conference. I would agree that Mount Airy & East Surry would be very happy to move to this conference. I don't think either have much sympathy for North Stokes since they are the reason for this unfair conference to begin with, although it is more of the former AD at fault than anyone else. The MVAC and the new NW1A would be a very good conferences with old rivalries. I am sure MA would continue to play Bishop, but I have heard SCS will not allow ES, SC, or NS to play charter, catholic, or non public schools as non-conference opponents.

NWWatchdog,

Yes this would put Surry Central, North Surry, Forbush, Wilkes Central, West Wilkes, and Ashe in the same conference. I would agree that Mount Airy & East Surry would be very happy to move to this conference. I don't think either have much sympathy for North Stokes since they are the reason for this unfair conference to begin with, although it is more of the former AD at fault than anyone else. The MVAC and the new NW1A would be a very good conferences with old rivalries. I am sure MA would continue to play Bishop, but I have heard SCS will not allow ES, SC, or NS to play charter, catholic, or non public schools as non-conference opponents.

Not sure how accurate that last part is. Bishop has been playing North Surry in a few sports (basketball, soccer, softball off the top of my head) since the realignment made the Northwest a straight 1A league and are doing so again this year.

Side note: I don't think anyone has any sympathy for North Stokes. Nobody really wants them in their league, so they're kind of the black sheep of Stokes/Surry county. If there's going to be widespread change in 2017 that sees the Northwest become even more Winston-Salem based, I've no doubt Bishop, Atkins and co. would love to see them placed elsewhere.

To be honest I'm loving this new setup and I hope it works. It will return to the way the conferences used to be and a nirvana will be back. I loved the 2009-2012 conferences but I doubt that will ever happen again.

East/MA are better off with Elkin and Starmount anyways. Better gates and better rivalries. That conference had good rivalries and was always a tossup. It will be rougher for Alleghany though but since Sessoms is there they won't be in as bad shape as they were 10 years ago. I always loved the MVAC because it's always pure football weather in Wilkes Co come October/November. We get to keep Central and Forbush in there and not have to waste non con slots. Plus it's been ages since we played Wilkes Central and West Wilkes in a regular season.

The Stokes/Forsyth league will be tricky as hell though. The 1A route would go perfect but there's the 2A's that make it interesting. West and Walkertown will be left out and if Carver stays 2A like they want to do then it will be tricky. They could always make the new conference a split one but North Stokes will complain about having to play 2A's. You could put McMichael and Morehead with the 2A schools but that would mean your still one short. Tough choices. About the best option would be making the PAC like it was in 2009-2012 and put Walkertown in that conference. Put West Stokes with the Reidsville and Co and call it a day.

But then again we are not the state eh? Things hopefully will go perfect this go round because I don't think anyone loves the set-up we are in now.

Since it is pretty likely that Atkins Tech will be 2A, I would be curious as to what effect that will have on realignment.

Also, I am wondering if everything being posted here is totally accurate. McGuinness, looking at their schedule, seems to be playing N. Surry in a lot of sports...soccer, tennis, basketball... They don't play Surry Central in much and never have. I doubt McGuinness would care much about whether or not they keep playing East Surry since East Surry beats McGuinness in most sports. As for N. Stokes, McGuinness has been playing N. Stokes forever since before McGuinness joined the NW Conference, so I don't see why they would be opposed to being in a conference with them. And in a small conference, McGuinness can schedule who they want for non-conference, so I doubt they will go broke. The Winston Teams travel to the other Winston Schools. S. Stokes and N. Stokes always bring a good crowd to McGuinness, especially South. But again, if Atkins is 2A, what will that do to realignment? Too many question marks to predict realignment.

North Stokes dropped West Stokes this year for football probably one of their best gates of the year. I think the coach that left for Brevard pissed a lot of people off in the county. His team sat on the visitors side pulling against West in 2011. Considering stokes county had never won anything in football that was classless.

Well, I caught the Phoenix yesterday up at Simeon. They will definitely be a factor. They've got a big o-line and are athletic across the board. Running game looked good against Bassett (George Washington was a different story....they hurt Prep with the blitz). Not too much of a passing game. Defense looked decent.

As of right now, I can't favor them over the East Surry's and Mount Airy's of the world. They will make them sweat though. I would not want to play this team towards the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT