ADVERTISEMENT

Will Murphy coach David Gentry return?

I said it was a vote but I was told that by a guy that works in media at murphy.

There will be a vote at a later date, I assume relatively soon. Once a decision is made the county commissioners will still have to green light any taxation involved.

Your looking at the minimum 50-60 million for the building alone.
It's going to be more than that to keep all the under capacity and dilapidated schools in the county maintenced, repaired and open. Murphy High was a dump seventeen years ago, it's shambolic at this point. Years of bandaids for a gunshot wound is what got us here.

Reactions: recycled2
The original agreement between counties and the state was counties paid for building and grounds and the state funding went to supplies and salaries. The state by using adm numbers forces county’s to pay for more and more staff and supplies. This leads to dilapidated schools. Small counties just don’t have the tax base to do both. They also make construction cost astronomical with all their regulations on building and who can build.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Yeah. Now think of a county with 17 k people total trying to build a 50 million dollar building while funding 20 teacher salaries and half the school costs.

Also that school bond was passed after another one was just finished that required necessary remodel for several schools as well as building 2 new middle schools.

Lets not forget, Robbinsville was down starting linebackers in both games and Anderson was on a bad ankle.Murphys best 4 lineman (Yousef, Rayburn, Posey,Satterfield) played against Robbinsville..Satterfield was hobbled.. Murphys big D1 lineman could do NOTHING with the Robbinsville lineman..Murphys best lineman (Rayburn) could do nothing to stop the Robbinsville lineman also. I can assure you if Murphys best 2 lineman could do nothing that there were no lineman sitting on the sidelines that would have had any success either..It was very clear who the better team was. The core of this team is coming back..Grown bad ass men.
Robbinsville line will be better this year than last..Mark it down
I think your wrong about #73 ,i graded the film him and #50 played pretty good.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Just a hunch, there's a large UT fan contingent here and orange isn't a color associated with Murphy, Andrews or Hiwassee Dam, so it makes a lot of sense on the surface.

Orange isn't a common color in WNC either, only other school in the mountains that uses it to my knowledge is Rosman. I'm not a UT fan but I would be good with orange and white, it's not that common and it looks good if done right.

Please God don't let this happen! I have always hated the fact that most people there are Tennessee fans. You live in the TAR HEEL STATE!

Not knocking any schools color but the talk in Robbinsville for a while was how all the SMC schools had went to black uniforms..Needless to say,Knights fans were not happy!! Lol...I could really care less.
I have always been jealous that I played at Murphy before the black pants started. However, those yellow numbers on the away jerseys have got to go! Need to go back to black numbers on the away jerseys.

Reactions: recycled2
Lol. I'm a UT hater but I do think it's a good color scheme.

It seems to me you get more UNC fans on the Andrews side of the county and more UT fans on the Murphy/HD side. Im guessing it has something to do with what stations came in best in each part of the county back in the day?

Reactions: mbdfan
It seems to me you get more UNC fans on the Andrews side of the county and more UT fans on the Murphy/HD side. Im guessing it has something to do with what stations came in best in each part of the county back in the day?

Could it be that Carl Pickens played at UT and didn't Andrews have a guy at UNC(Ballard? Not sure of name) and a walk on basketball player (Roper.)? Sorry I stink at names.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Could it be that Carl Pickens played at UT and didn't Andrews have a guy at UNC(Ballard? Not sure of name) and a walk on basketball player (Roper.)? Sorry I stink at names.

You got the names right and that could be it, too. Varian Ballard was the Andrews grad UNC football player in the late 90s--although he finished up at A&T and if you look at old UNC rosters he didn't even list Andrews as his hometown. But Jeff Blaylock also played football at UNC in the 80s out of Andrews and was a pretty good LB for them, so that could be part of it. And Dr. Roper played basketball at UNC in the mid-80s. Still seems like Murphy has bigger UT fan base that anywhere else in WNC, even though 4 or 5 schools west of Asheville have sent star players to Knoxville.

Guess they could split the difference at the new school and be sky blue and orange.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
Guess they could split the difference at the new school and be sky blue and orange.

There are a lot of ways that color scheme could be horrendous, but if done well it could be really nice. The UNC-Clemson ACC championship game where both teams wore colors was really attractive.

That would be weird to go from black and yellow to that, however.

Please God don't let this happen! I have always hated the fact that most people there are Tennessee fans. You live in the TAR HEEL STATE!

I think there are more UGA fans in the area now. It's just easier to connect with a team 2 hours vs. 6 hours away. I had ties to UT from the moment I was born so I grew up with it.

Lets not forget, Robbinsville was down starting linebackers in both games and Anderson was on a bad ankle.Murphys best 4 lineman (Yousef, Rayburn, Posey,Satterfield) played against Robbinsville..Satterfield was hobbled.. Murphys big D1 lineman could do NOTHING with the Robbinsville lineman..Murphys best lineman (Rayburn) could do nothing to stop the Robbinsville lineman also. I can assure you if Murphys best 2 lineman could do nothing that there were no lineman sitting on the sidelines that would have had any success either..It was very clear who the better team was. The core of this team is coming back..Grown bad ass men.
Robbinsville line will be better this year than last..Mark it down

The only reason Rayburn didn't have that many tackles was because they hardly ran to his side. Don't blame Dee he's a very smart Coach. We are also talking about the SMC lineman of the year as a junior. We shall see this year if we have football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT