ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Central - East Wilkes

Illuminati704

Apr 5, 2013
Must win game for East Wilkes. Wilkes Centrals already wrapped up a share of the title at minimum, but EW losing may be the worst case scenario for WC. EW will adjust and be laser focused next week. Folks going to this game better get there tomorrow to reserve a seat.

When I saw those teams early in the season, I never imagined there would be any question that EW would win when they played each other. Things can change a lot in two months.

Shouldn't matter other than for the MV title and playoff seeding, though. EW is the top 1A team in the league even if they lose; they'd be tied with Starmount if the Rams beat Ashe, but EW has head to head.

I can tell you the MA coaches were stunned when they heard that the Elkin-EW game was close, let alone that Elkin won.

When I saw those teams early in the season, I never imagined there would be any question that EW would win when they played each other. Things can change a lot in two months.

Shouldn't matter other than for the MV title and playoff seeding, though. EW is the top 1A team in the league even if they lose; they'd be tied with Starmount if the Rams beat Ashe, but EW has head to head.

I can tell you the MA coaches were stunned when they heard that the Elkin-EW game was close, let alone that Elkin won.

Hell even we were in Toast! lol. We 7 on 7'ed East Wilkes back in June and we played Elkin of course. I never expected that all. Guess East's easy start musta got them very lackadaisical because the last two games they haven't been theirselves.

East did have a lot of faults in it's pass prevention on defense when we went down there. We passed it good considering we were missing kids that start for us now. Ashe passed it good on them but let it slip away. Elkin's really invested in it's passing game and with the athletes they have they can really make noise and cause headaches with it. It's amazing to think but they could easily have 2 more wins right now. They came from behind on Ashe and barely let it slip away and North Wilkes was struggling to keep them down; they just ran out of time in that one.

Elkin will beat Alleghany next week and finish 5-6 which is good for them and they will be at home possibly.

This is what East needed though really. They needed a wakeup call and they got it. They have their biggest county rival next week who humiliated them last year; they got a good challenge ahead of them.

East didn't need a wake up call against our biggest rival. Each week East is playing teams that are able to exploit their weakness. WC is scary, but who knows.

EW without rb Damien Reid tonight was huge. The continuity in the backfield was no where near the same. He's a potential homerun hitter with each touch of the ball. Looks like there just may need to be some personnel changes in the defensive backfield. EW has a large roster of 40+ kids. Reid, Couch, and Woods with their height and speed are some if, not the best athletes on the team. You need them on the field, on both sides of the ball. Seems that against good passing teams..EW is on their heels..no pressure at all on the Qb..and the pass coverage has been lackluster. Zone D is ok if you have great downfield pass coverage, even if you dont have heat on the Qb..But..no pressure on the Qb..and not even decent pass coverage..will get you toasted on defense. Atkins is a magnificent coach. I'm sure he will adjust..and have this team focused from here on out. WC is a monster coming up next week. Also, EW line was dominated down the stretch on both sides of the ball. The Elks Qb had all day to wait for his receivers to get open..and get open is what they most certainly did. I don't know the Qbs passing yds for Elkin..but I would venture to say it was 350yds plus last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realfreedom
I hope adjustments are made. It seems he had better athletes on special teams coverage tonight.

I love that he attempts to not make guy's play both ways, but there comes a time when you have to get your best players on the field.

There is talent sitting on the pine that could at least give D line starters a play or 2 off.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Sometimes a loss is the best thing that can happen. The first year I lived in the area was Elkins 05 title run. I followed them all that season and I am a firm believer that they wouldn't have won a state title that year had Mount Airy not given them a dose of humble pie in the 2nd to last game. They were a different animal after that game. Blew East Surry out the next week and ran away with every game in the playoffs including thumpings of some pretty good squads in South Stanly, Cherokee, and a huge and fast Northampton team. Will be interesting to see how east responds next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Those rivarly games , i bet the cards come out lights out next week!! I say it every year it doesnt matter what either team has in those games, kids have known each other there whole life and want to beat yhea worse than anybody. I see it year in and year out with Mt Airy / North Surry and East Surry . Most years the bears win at north but come away with so many injuries that it kills them the rest of season. Aint no telling how many deep playoff runs east and north have cost the bears from injuries and emotion. Just be thankful the cards came away injury free and ready for battle next week. Now a huge congrats to elkin, good to see a little success, hopefully build on it , i can remember a many of teams shakin in their boots when they found out they were coming to the banks of the big elk

Couldn't agree more. EW will be fine. Better to identify those weaknesses now than 2 weeks into the playoffs. Sometimes a loss can be beneficial. I’m betting East Wilkes will be ready next week. In fact I think EW wins next week by 8-12 points.

I would have rather been in Toast, but the way our assignment schedule worked out, it made more sense for me to be at the MA game.

Believe me, 73-6 ain't a lot of fun to watch.
So that's your problem ! I am sure the fans of Mount Airy will like knowing you prefered not covering their game and had a problem with how coach holder coached his game ! And I speak for myself and not the school ! Don't pull my chain as you did on the other thread !.

So that's your problem ! I am sure the fans of Mount Airy will like knowing you prefered not covering their game and had a problem with how coach holder coached his game ! And I speak for myself and not the school ! Don't pull my chain as you did on the other thread !.

Like you put words in my mouth?

I told a couple of the coaches I'd have rather been at the NS game, and the mother of one of the players. Honestly, I think they would have rather been there too, if they hadn't had to play Bishop. You think a game like that is enjoyable for anyone, except for the kids who don't always get to play? Only other thing that can happen in a game like that is someone gets hurt in a blowout.

It all worked out. Robert did a great job with the game in Toast and it's up on our website now. And North's volleyball team made the West Regional final today (I had that one), so there's going to be a lot of Greyhound blue in Sunday's sports.

Last edited:
Like you put words in my mouth?

I told a couple of the coaches I'd have rather been at the NS game, and the mother of one of the players. Honestly, I think they would have rather been there too, if they hadn't had to play Bishop. You think a game like that is enjoyable for anyone? Only thing that can happen in a game like that is someone gets hurt in a blowout.

It all worked out. Robert did a great job with the game in Toast and it's up on our website now. And North's volleyball team made the West Regional final today (I had that one), so there's going to be a lot of Greyhound blue in Sunday's sports.
Well this was all Bull ... Have a good night !! Crap like this is why I can't make a simple post that hurts no one ...... No more comments please ! !

FNL..relax dude. You open the door for ill-received post sometimes, as you respond with so much venom dude. Plus it just seems like you're mostly looking to always take things personal and out of context. Who does that???

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Also hearing one of WC's primary deep threats has been out as well. Not sure of his status either.

Lol, its the defense right now that's making me cringe. WC likes to get you in open space 1 on 1 versus their athletes. EW will need to be fleet footed and not play on their heels, waiting for WC to catch the ball as they did against Elkin. EW literally stood at times and waited on Elkin's receivers to catch the ball. Just seemed that all EW was worried about was not letting the Elks get behind the secondary. However, they let the Elks catch everything, I mean everything in front of them and then turn it upfield.

WC offense is a machine in their own right. I was watching Hudl yesterday, seemed all of WCs main guys were playing but I’m not 100%. WC is just so balanced and will out formation you to death and run or throw out of it. It’s very effective. Friday could be a barn burner.

I was told Reid wanted to play against elkin but atkins sat him out in preparation for WC. Not sure how reliable that is but I did see Reid at the youth championship games on Saturday and he is still favoring that ankle. Unsure if he will be good to go or not. As for the defense, ew had a couple play makers that wasn't out there due to injuries as well. And added more to that list after Friday night. Hopefully adjustment's will be made this week to the secondary. Ashe county opened the door to our weakness in the pass defense and elkin exploited it. Moving forward teams that have a successful passing game will pick us apart If something isn't fixed. There is talent there to move around and make it work. Sadly as we all know if your offense scores 52 points you should be winning ball games. Hopefully Atkins has a good game plan together for Friday night. Should be a barn burner in Ronda.

That’s really unfortunate to here. Hopefully they’ll all be healthy and ready to go by Friday. I was really hoping East won Friday night. Granted nobody saw what happened coming, kudos to Elkin. The loss shouldn’t take anything away from Friday night.

I think EW can pull it out on Friday night despite the injuries.

IMO, East needs to get there best players on the field even if it means they go both ways. The D has to improve and I am not sure what else they could do. With proper substitution patterns they can keep the players fresh.

In the day there would have been 5 times this many posts for a game of this magnitude. Miss those days! Either Starmount and/or Elkin are going to have to become elite again for that ever to happen.

I think the game lost a little bit of luster after East’s surprising defeat last week. Combine that with a game of similar magnitude in Surry County and it might appear a little less appealing. I don’t agree with that but that’s how it goes.

For East to win, they must stop the big play. Jasiah Ferguson and Tyler Boles are going to get theirs but if EW can limit the big play and force WC to methodically drive down the field, then they have a great shot. Easier said than done.

For Central to win, they really just need to outscore EW, as cliche as that is. Also easier said than done.

Regardless, it should amount to a great game. Let’s get some predictions on here.

I’m going to say EW 34-22. Wilkes Central dominates the first half, East makes adjustments and shuts out Central in the second half.

This board was much more fun when Elkin and Starmount had people to post. East has always only had a few to post.

Two years ago East 24 - WC 21, last year WC 25 - East 0, this year my prediction is WC 35 - East 21

I was told Reid wanted to play against elkin but atkins sat him out in preparation for WC. Not sure how reliable that is but I did see Reid at the youth championship games on Saturday and he is still favoring that ankle. Unsure if he will be good to go or not. As for the defense, ew had a couple play makers that wasn't out there due to injuries as well. And added more to that list after Friday night. Hopefully adjustment's will be made this week to the secondary. Ashe county opened the door to our weakness in the pass defense and elkin exploited it. Moving forward teams that have a successful passing game will pick us apart If something isn't fixed. There is talent there to move around and make it work. Sadly as we all know if your offense scores 52 points you should be winning ball games. Hopefully Atkins has a good game plan together for Friday night. Should be a barn burner in Ronda.

The added injuries from Friday night I believe are good to go now!

Yaaaay. Let's go CARDS!! I picked us to lose against WC. Im a huge fan of EW. I want to believe this past Friday was an anomaly. Please prove me wrong. I'm still on the bandwagon. I'm a realist too though. WC will pose all of the problems that the Elks did during the course of the game. Except WC is waaaaay more explosive and waaaay more versatile than the Elks. It will be an uphill climb for EW on their best day. However, it can be done.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Come on. 3 weeks ago, East Wilkes was a clear favorite over Wilkes Central. They lost to their biggest rival. It happens. Not much has changed. East has got this!

Glad to hear the injuries are doing great. Hope to see them back out there tomorrow night! As for a prediction, I honestly don't know who will come out on top. But I'll say it'll be a 10+ point margin either way and will be another high scoring affair. I agree this game would have a lot more chatter if we hadnt lost last week. This game is now for a "share" of the conference title instead of the winner being the out right champ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT