ADVERTISEMENT

Who stands a chance to beat these two schools in 2017

No Clinton....cmon man you know Shelby and the word "lost" arent allowed in the same sentence on these boards
proxy.php

That's a shame. And yes it is evident teams are spreading it out a lot more around here. I guess it takes a superior team to line up and run it down the oppositions throat.
I dont care i still love it...smashmouth football 3 yards and a cloud of dust....getting home before 10 on Friday nights......out west its only halftime lol

He doesn't care, he still loves smashmouth football, and he loves to be home in his onesie by 10pm on Friday nights, but.....

https://ncpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/time-for-a-change.34025/

Last edited:
Reactions: swett2victory
He doesn't care, he still loves smashmouth football, and he loves to be home in his onesie by 10pm on Friday nights, but.....

https://ncpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/time-for-a-change.34025/

I would like them to become alil more diverse cause when you have to play a team twice and they seen all your best running plays nice to switch it up on them i even said we dont have to throw it 20-30 times....and as far as the other comment i love you internet/social media gangsters tough guys.....all talk....i like this site i dont feel like getting blocked so ill keep whats really on my mind to myself

i love you internet/social media gangsters tough guys.....all talk....i like this site i dont feel like getting blocked so ill keep whats really on my mind to myself
Way too serious and sensitive sometime. You can throw jabs at us, Shelby, but whenever we throw a jab back, you get edgy. You can be very hypocritical. Relax. *in my Aaron Rodgers voice*

Last edited:
Reactions: blkgolddynasty
Way too serious and sensitive sometime. You can throw jabs at us, Shelby, but whenever we throw a jab back, you get edgy. You can be very hypocritical. Relax. *in my Aaron Rodgers voice*

Show me a personal comment i made about you or anyone one else.....talk about teams all day fine, cool

Show me a personal comment i made about you or anyone one else.....talk about teams all day fine, cool
Show me the same. What's so gangsta' and tough about me saying you like to be home in a onesie by 10 pm on Friday nights? That was sarcasm.

Last edited:
If shelby goes small 2a I think they win it all with no real hick-ups, if they go big...well they've got South Point, Reidsville will be the team to beat in small 2a if Shelby goes up, but Mountain Heritage, Brevard, Hendersonville, and Lincolnton will all have solid teams this year.

If shelby goes small 2a I think they win it all with no real hick-ups, if they go big...well they've got South Point, Reidsville will be the team to beat in small 2a if Shelby goes up, but Mountain Heritage, Brevard, Hendersonville, and Lincolnton will all have solid teams this year.
Lincolnton lost a lot. They will not be close to what they were in 2016.

South Point returning 17 starters from 2016 state championship team. Adding in a JV team that won the conference as well. We will contend but Shelby is loaded and will be the team to beat in 2017.

From what I understand Reidsville lost sme key guys too, I still think lincolnton is second in their conference and makes it to at least the second or third round

Last edited:
How many games did you attend just curious how you came to that conclusion?.......im sorry all bias aside that was a damn good Clinton team last year you dont finish 13-1 being decent seems like a slap in the face to a outstanding group of young men and coaches that had a great season and worked their tails off

I saw 3 of their playoff games on tape and that rivalry game with the 1A school. There are teams throughout the state loaded with outstanding groups of young men.

You can be a horrible team and be 13-1 depending on who tyou play. That said, I never said Clinton was bad. Based on who they played, they were a good team.

They would have lost to Shelby, Huss, Monroe, Reidsville, East Lincoln, and I dare say Lincolnton.

It's about match ups. They had no answer for NS Jax spread offense in the 2nd half. They didn't even slow it down and NS spread was sufficient, but nothing like the offense of the teams listed above.

Which school is Clemson in this case

Shelby

They would have lost by 35 or more.

In the NS game they ran the same run play in the 2nd half a few times in a row while they were behind. Their passing game was simple to defend, yet some how the game would have been close?

Monroe's lightening fast defense would have eaten them alive and even with the back up QB and Monroes limited passing game, they would have won 21-0. Huss would have scored 40 at least.

Ok boss guess we dont belong with the big boys.....all those teams would of beaten us ok :cool:

I dont care i still love it...smashmouth football 3 yards and a cloud of dust....getting home before 10 on Friday nights......out west its only halftime lol

Oh if only u knew what I knew. All I can say is get ready! Go horses.

Oh if only u knew what I knew. All I can say is get ready! Go horses.

Ole Bob gonna go out throwing?....i figure d with Arnette gone maybe Coach Bell would have more responsibilitys this year and maybe some say so in offensive game plan....i still remember that offensive system he ran on the JV

Last edited:
I thought it was weird how we went straight from 4A to 2A. You'd think the nchsaa would have some special rule so that in these situations a school would progress down and be 3A then 2A, but whatever.

Reminds me of reading about Allen Jay back in 1970. They were a school with 300-400 kids playing 2A ball because there were no other 1A schools in the area. They went all the way to the Eastern State championship game where they played Ahoskie, who had consolidated that year and had 1200 kids. A 1A size school played a 3A-4A size school and lost 28-12 with only 23 players on the roster. I've thought about writing a book chronicling that season.

I thought it was weird how we went straight from 4A to 2A. You'd think the nchsaa would have some special rule so that in these situations a school would progress down and be 3A then 2A, but whatever.

Reminds me of reading about Allen Jay back in 1970. They were a school with 300-400 kids playing 2A ball because there were no other 1A schools in the area. They went all the way to the Eastern State championship game where they played Ahoskie, who had consolidated that year and had 1200 kids. A 1A size school played a 3A-4A size school and lost 28-12 with only 23 players on the roster. I've thought about writing a book chronicling that season.

I think there was a number of years that Thomasville played up for the same reason. Even won at least one, maybe more state c-ship. OC or other Tville fan can confirm.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I think there was a number of years that Thomasville played up for the same reason. Even won at least one, maybe more state c-ship. OC or other Tville fan can confirm.
Not sure if we ever "played up" above our numeric classification. But we certainly have been among the smaller schools in 2A in certain years.
The bigger issue for Thomasville, as with some other schools, is the diversity of the school system population. Last year, the system had 31 percent of it's student populace who were Latino. In a typical year, there may be one ore two Latino students on the football team. So if you have 700 students, with half being male, and a third of those students not playing football, you are in effect a 1A school playing 2A football. Not an excuse, just a part of the dynamic that has changed in the last decade.
The retirement of Allen Brown dramatically affected Thomasville football. But even prior to his retirement, other factors have made it more difficult to consistently win at the 2A level. The realignment has added to that difficulty. I figure us to be in the middle of the pack for the next couple of years. Time will tell.

Not sure if we ever "played up" above our numeric classification. But we certainly have been among the smaller schools in 2A in certain years.
The bigger issue for Thomasville, as with some other schools, is the diversity of the school system population. Last year, the system had 31 percent of it's student populace who were Latino. In a typical year, there may be one ore two Latino students on the football team. So if you have 700 students, with half being male, and a third of those students not playing football, you are in effect a 1A school playing 2A football. Not an excuse, just a part of the dynamic that has changed in the last decade.
The retirement of Allen Brown dramatically affected Thomasville football. But even prior to his retirement, other factors have made it more difficult to consistently win at the 2A level. The realignment has added to that difficulty. I figure us to be in the middle of the pack for the next couple of years. Time will tell.

OC, hate to hear it. I guess the soccer team will do well, though.

I have no clue. Tville used to get numbers as a 1A school that 3A and 4A schools had. From what I hear, kids would rather be out in the streets than playing football nowadays. My how times have changed...
Wow!
It starts at home. I wonder if the community has activities for young kids to get involved(sports)..................man, is it that bad out that way

Wow!
It starts at home. I wonder if the community has activities for young kids to get involved(sports)..................man, is it that bad out that way
Thomasville benefitted for many years from connectivity with high school, middle school and youth sports. George Cushwa and later Allen and Benjie Brown, made sure that they supported the lower programs. Sometimes by passing down equipment, but most importantly, with offensive and defensive schemes and systems. Youth teams typically ran a simplified form of those and kids knew the terminology and techniques long before they played varsity football. Somewhere along the way, that stopped.

In my opinion, another development had a negative impact. Though well-intentioned, the middle school "fifth quarter" concept has had unintended consequences. Designed to give backup players and seventh graders a chance to have game action, it did something else entirely. It gave coaches an excuse to take their "stars" and play them both ways. While it may improve the coach's record, it does nothing to develop other players. Many times, they get no reps in practice. Often, those players give up and never play again. Some of the best high school athletes I have seen were kids who grew a foot in three years, added thirty pounds and finally developed athletically. Those kids are often the same ones who give up when the coach doesn't give them any attention. It catches up with the program with lower numbers.

The latest threat to youth, middle and high school football, is AAU football. As opposed to AAU basketball, that sport is played at the same time as the rec and school versions. Typically, teams are made up of players from several schools and towns. So there is no real camaraderie developed among players who will spend their careers developing and growing together. It also increases that "daddy ball" sense of kids being free agents, rather than a part of a team. None of that is good for high school sports...and most importantly, for the kids.

In Thomasville, when you add the above to the dramatic increase in Latino kids who typically don't play football, the white flight by families who perceive Thomasville as a failing system, and the absence of the attraction of playing for a dynasty, the obvious result is low numbers.

Lastly, all of this has totally decimated any semblance of a booster organization. There virtually isn't one. It's a long way from the boosters group that gave George Cushwa a new car when he retired. Which means the program doesn't have the resources to continue the program in a first class manner. It's a big circle that keeps on rolling downhill.

Thomasville benefitted for many years from connectivity with high school, middle school and youth sports. George Cushwa and later Allen and Benjie Brown, made sure that they supported the lower programs. Sometimes by passing down equipment, but most importantly, with offensive and defensive schemes and systems. Youth teams typically ran a simplified form of those and kids knew the terminology and techniques long before they played varsity football. Somewhere along the way, that stopped.
There is a devil out there and someone somewhere in that town did not like the movement and the negative energy started spreading. From the sound of this passage sir, it seems as if Tvill had a future and an answer for youth sports. It is sad to know Tvill had the support from some great leaders and it had to come to a sad end.

In my opinion, another development had a negative impact. Though well-intentioned, the middle school "fifth quarter" concept has had unintended consequences. Designed to give backup players and seventh graders a chance to have game action, it did something else entirely. It gave coaches an excuse to take their "stars" and play them both ways. While it may improve the coach's record, it does nothing to develop other players. Many times, they get no reps in practice. Often, those players give up and never play again. Some of the best high school athletes I have seen were kids who grew a foot in three years, added thirty pounds and finally developed athletically. Those kids are often the same ones who give up when the coach doesn't give them any attention. It catches up with the program with lower numbers
I see where the population is dropping based on this well described essay

The latest threat to youth, middle and high school football, is AAU football. As opposed to AAU basketball, that sport is played at the same time as the rec and school versions. Typically, teams are made up of players from several schools and towns. So there is no real camaraderie developed among players who will spend their careers developing and growing together. It also increases that "daddy ball" sense of kids being free agents, rather than a part of a team. None of that is good for high school sports...and most importantly, for the kids
AAU, if I am not mistaken(like you said), this is basically a group of kids who basically grow up together as a team. They know nobody else, dont care for nobody else, and dont play with nobody else but that group of kids since an early age on to a later future. The Bold words are correct

In Thomasville, when you add the above to the dramatic increase in Latino kids who typically don't play football, the white flight by families who perceive Thomasville as a failing system, and the absence of the attraction of playing for a dynasty, the obvious result is low numbers
I still dont see why Latinos are not recruited as kickers if anything. Latinos as we all know are typically short, stocky, and athletic. Just have never figured out why there are no population in football.

Lastly, all of this has totally decimated any semblance of a booster organization. There virtually isn't one. It's a long way from the boosters group that gave George Cushwa a new car when he retired. Which means the program doesn't have the resources to continue the program in a first class manner. It's a big circle that keeps on rolling downhill.
So basically there is no community support whatsoever. I am curious how far over the next high scholl is located. Are kids transferring to those other schools for different reasons?

Ledford class of 2017...264. East Davidson...186. Thomasville...119.
Of course, Ledford will drop eventually, but not for a couple of years.

Thomasville has 640 students at the high school and only 119 graduates. You do the math. To add insult to injury, the Bulldogs only have four home football games. We typically don't travel that well, though the natural rivalries and close proximity of opponents may help.

Ledford class of 2017...264. East Davidson...186. Thomasville...119.
Of course, Ledford will drop eventually, but not for a couple of years.

Thomasville has 640 students at the high school and only 119 graduates. You do the math. To add insult to injury, the Bulldogs only have four home football games. We typically don't travel that well, though the natural rivalries and close proximity of opponents may help.
Correct:
Central Davidson
Ledford Senior
North Davidson
West Davidson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT