ADVERTISEMENT

1A WHC top 2 varsity girls basketball teams

Is this the year that the top 2 WHC varsity basketball teams win it all?
MH has had a good team for years, along with a great coach. Their deep playoff runs have ended the previous 2 seasons with losses to teams with a lot of size. But this was a supposed to be rebuilding year for mh but I think this is the biggest, deepest, most athletic team they have had in the previous 3 seasons. Their guard play is outstanding. As far as Avery is concerned, they have played with a big chip on their shoulder after a regional finals appearance 2 years ago, and a big snub last year. I know Heaven Nelson is a great player and the leading scorer on the team, but MacKenzie Franklin is the star and leader of the team. When she plays well, the whole team plays well. 3 of Averys 5 have been without her playing. She is a matchup nightmare who can do it all. And Avery is tough to beat at home as mh can attest to. I can't wait to see how these playoffs turn out.

Mountain Heritage seems to have a competitive team, year in and year out. But it seems like they can never pull through at the end. IMO, they end up in the same boat losing in the 3/4 round.

Mountain Heritage seems to have a competitive team, year in and year out. But it seems like they can never pull through at the end. IMO, they end up in the same boat losing in the 3/4 round.
I disagree. You tell me what western 2a team in the west can beat them? Hannah Tipton is too big and strong to be stopped. Salisbury is overrated. Forbush is inconsistent. The best 1a teams have a better chance of beating them. Remember ma dominating Forbush

There are a few decent teams. R-S Central and E Burke both gave MH close games this year.
I do disagree that Salisbury is overrated. They play in an extremely tough conference, much like MH. Bryanna Troutman is a beast.

-Salisbury, E Rutherford, Bush, Ledford, Wilkes Cent etc. Any night someone can have a off night, or get into foul trouble. I just think the 2A is up in the air.

I do have much respect for the MH program and the playoffs should be fun to watch.

Could happen but Avery has a tough path in 1A, East Surry has to be the favorite at this point.
East Surry is the favorite but Avery is all seniors. And that means everything. If they lose then all of them know that their is no next year. They will be underdogs for sure, but if a team overlooks them like bishop did two years ago they will run you out of the gym. Keep in mind east Surry got a star transfer and Avery lost two good sophomores that transferred to Mitchell. Also, it is hard to beat a team 3 times in one year. So east Surry could lose to ma in the playoffs.

Also, it is hard to beat a team 3 times in one year. So east Surry could lose to ma in the playoffs.
This is what the Avery's and Murphy's of the world will be rooting for.

It's crazy what a massive difference one player can make. Last year Murphy destroyed East Surry and 'Dogs returned pretty much everyone besides their star post Beckner, Cardinals gained Sutphin and this year East Surry find themselves favored in a potential rematch.

Last edited:
There are a few decent teams. R-S Central and E Burke both gave MH close games this year.
I do disagree that Salisbury is overrated. They play in an extremely tough conference, much like MH. Bryanna Troutman is a beast.

-Salisbury, E Rutherford, Bush, Ledford, Wilkes Cent etc. Any night someone can have a off night, or get into foul trouble. I just think the 2A is up in the air.

I do have much respect for the MH program and the playoffs should be fun to watch.

That is true but their off night's are better than most teams good nights

This is what the Avery and Murphy's of the world will be rooting for.
I think that Murphy and Avery are a lot better than people thought they would be. That Addison girl is a great player for you guys

It's crazy what a massive difference one player can make. Last year Murphy destroyed East Surry and 'Dogs returned pretty much everyone besides their star post Beckner, Cardinals gained Sutphin and this year East Surry find themselves favored in a potential rematch.
I would love to see an Avery Murphy rematch in the final 8 to go to the final 4 . It would be a backburner. Two teams that have made it to the final four the last two years evenly matched backcourt and interior. By the way ma was not better than any of those teams. Both years Avery or Murphy could not hit anything and ma had an unexpected player hit everything.

I think that Murphy and Avery are a lot better than people thought they would be. That Addison girl is a great player for you guys

I would love to see an Avery Murphy rematch in the final 8 to go to the final 4 . It would be a backburner. Two teams that have made it to the final four the last two years evenly matched backcourt and interior. By the way ma was not better than any of those teams. Both years Avery or Murphy could not hit anything and ma had an unexpected player hit everything.
Not a rematch a matchup

Having seen both, they are both capable of deep runs. Avery has better overall size than Heritage. Heritage shoots the ball better all around and has a much deeper bench. At least in the games I have seen.

Both teams are very balanced in their attack.

Unless someone upsets one or the other, they should meet again in the WHC tournament. (Did I mention, hopefully Mitchell will defeat both, I know, I know. But hey a guy can wish can't he). Crazy to think 5 of Mitchell's 9 losses this year are to these 2 teams.

Good luck to both in the playoffs, (unless Avery meets Mitchell).

But as others have said think E. Surry is the favorite at this time.

Go Mountaineers

Having seen both, they are both capable of deep runs. Avery has better overall size than Heritage. Heritage shoots the ball better all around and has a much deeper bench. At least in the games I have seen.

Both teams are very balanced in their attack.

Unless someone upsets one or the other, they should meet again in the WHC tournament. (Did I mention, hopefully Mitchell will defeat both, I know, I know. But hey a guy can wish can't he). Crazy to think 5 of Mitchell's 9 losses this year are to these 2 teams.

Good luck to both in the playoffs, (unless Avery meets Mitchell).

But as others have said think E. Surry is the favorite at this time.

Go Mountaineers
Yeah averys football team being bad meant Avery started basketball earlier than most WHC teams. So they have a two week layoff leading up to a potential matchup with Mitchell. Avery will be rusty coming out so they could lose to Mitchell or they could meet in 3rd round of playoffs maybe. Like I said
on another post Averys seniors will have to be carried out on a stretcher before they lose Good underdog role. I will say this I know how much a state title would mean to those seniors and the whole WHC in general. Much like the underdog lady mountaineer did in the early 2000s

East Surry also gained some pretty good freshman. They have some size and can score, but they can really defend.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
East Surry also gained some pretty good freshman. They have some size and can score, but they can really defend.
Oh yeah they are a talented team no doubt. Averys weakness is their depth. Foul trouble would kill them. The two sophomores that transferred to Mitchell hurt their depth. They would have to get ahead and make the starters play 25 plus minutes and wear them down in the 4th. Mh girls were exhausted after that game Tuesday cause starters had to play almost entire game but they made shots when it mattered

I would say another strength of ES is how versatile they are as well. The transfer is just not a big she can handle it and shoot it as well. Very talented player.

I would say another strength of ES is how versatile they are as well. The transfer is just not a big she can handle it and shoot it as well. Very talented player.
The same for Franklin for avery. Listed at 5'9 I think 5'11 though. Plus Franklin played in the 60 best nc varsity girls camp last year. She guarded bigger girls and did a great job. This area doesn't get the recruiting like the triad cities do.

I think Avery girls are the best 1A team in the state. I've seen others, but what they bring to the table is a little different. They have every position covered plus a bench that 3-4 can play. In girls, especially 1A, that will be hard to beat.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
It's going to be hard for most 1A teams to have a player that can stop a 6'3"/6'4" player that can handle the ball and score inside.

I think Avery girls are the best 1A team in the state. I've seen others, but what they bring to the table is a little different. They have every position covered plus a bench that 3-4 can play. In girls, especially 1A, that will be hard to beat.
Nice to get some respect. Now we have to go earn it. We have not been ranked in the top 10 for the last 3 years for no reason

It's going to be hard for most 1A teams to have a player that can stop a 6'3"/6'4" player that can handle the ball and score inside.
Oh I agree 100 percent. Talent wise east Surry. Experience Avery. Whoever wants it more. Keep in mind Avery has 1 senior that has started all 4 years and 2 that has started 3 years. Plus the other 2 seniors have really improved. But there is a lot of work to be done before they could meet. East Surry has to get by ma and ua possibly and Avery will have to beat the smc tough sledding for both

I saw them beat a really good Central Cabarrus team and it wasn't even close. I'm sure they can handle others as they aren't most 1A teams. I will be surprised if they do not win the 1A state this year

I saw them beat a really good Central Cabarrus team and it wasn't even close. I'm sure they can handle others as they aren't most 1A teams. I will be surprised if they do not win the 1A state this year
Yeah they played great in that game. They can win it. But you need some luck as well

Oh I agree 100 percent. Talent wise east Surry. Experience Avery. Whoever wants it more. Keep in mind Avery has 1 senior that has started all 4 years and 2 that has started 3 years. Plus the other 2 seniors have really improved. But there is a lot of work to be done before they could meet. East Surry has to get by ma and ua possibly and Avery will have to beat the smc tough sledding for both

Is Avery going to have a serious drop-off after this year on the girls side?

I look for Heritage to possibly be a little stronger next year if that is possible, with some experience for the younger players and only losing a few seniors.

I look for Heritage to possibly be a little stronger next year if that is possible, with some experience for the younger players and only losing a few seniors.
Yea Mitchell will be good as well. All juniors and 1 senior next year
Oh yeah heritage will win state in next 3 years if not this year. If projections are right mh should at least make it to final 4. Ledford is coming on strong beating #2 Salisbury last week but they might be going east.

Oh yeah heritage will win state in next 3 years if not this year. If projections are right mh should at least make it to final 4. Ledford is coming on strong beating #2 Salisbury last week but they might be going east.
Sierra Chandler was great but Tipton is just as good with more size and a d1 prospect 4 sure

Reactions: Heritage 84
It will be interesting to see if Ledford goes to the east region. Looks like they could go either way. They are a different team with the return of their post player McCall Denny. IMO Lyrik Thorne, is one of the top 3 pt guards in the 2A state.
Also, looks like E Davidson may head east as well. That's another competitive team that typically does well come playoff time.

Mitchell starts 2 jr. And 3 soph this year. Plays a couple more jr as well. Both jr. starters have played varsity ball since they were freshman. The guard is extremely quick but very small. The post player is not a threat on offense but plays very good defense. But again she is very small for a post player.

Very odd Sr. Night this year, no seniors. Mitchell "should" be better next year, but as with football until someone beats Heritage they remain the favorite. Overall, the WHC, will be down compared to this season.

Now back to this season, good luck to all WHC teams in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Mitchell starts 2 jr. And 3 soph this year. Plays a couple more jr as well. Both jr. starters have played varsity ball since they were freshman. The guard is extremely quick but very small. The post player is not a threat on offense but plays very good defense. But again she is very small for a post player.

Very odd Sr. Night this year, no seniors. Mitchell "should" be better next year, but as with football until someone beats Heritage they remain the favorite. Overall, the WHC, will be down compared to this season.

Now back to this season, good luck to all WHC teams in the playoffs.
[/QUOTE]

I think Mitchell should be a favorite for 2nd in the conference next year in the girls. Boys also have a good chance to take over 2nd as Madison graduates a few seniors.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
It will be interesting to see if Ledford goes to the east region. Looks like they could go either way. They are a different team with the return of their post player McCall Denny. IMO Lyrik Thorne, is one of the top 3 pt guards in the 2A state.
Also, looks like E Davidson may head east as well. That's another competitive team that typically does well come playoff time.
Oh yeah ledford is always tough. The Mitchell girls were great in the late 90s back when they were in 2a and ledford beat them 3 consecutive years in the regional semis and regional finals. If somebody can stop Tipton they can possibly beat them Tipton plays on a new jersey traveling team so she has played against great point guards. I would love to see that matchup

Now back to this season, good luck to all WHC teams in the playoffs.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah my bad there is two starting juniors. Yea that one sophomore cloer I think can shoot the lights out and Hannah McMahan is very quick. Hard to keep her out of the lanes Regan McKinney for avery did a lot better job guarding her in the 2nd game. Her and Franklin are averys best defenders

You are right. I think many people use to look forward to the Ledford/Mitchell Co match up come playoff time in the 90s/early 2000s. Great crowds and always competitive games.

You are right. I think many people use to look forward to the Ledford/Mitchell Co match up come playoff time in the 90s/early 2000s. Great crowds and always competitive games.
Yeah then an underachieving Mitchell team in 2002-2003 suddenly realized come playoff time that they are seniors and if they lost in playoffs they were done. They were lucky to be 13 seed that year with 12 losses. Then they killed everybody in playoffs the red springs team they beat had 3 6 footers and Mitchell run them girls in the ground with their speed. Truly amazing performance that year. Playoffs can bring out best in teams

Yeah then an underachieving Mitchell team in 2002-2003 suddenly realized come playoff time that they are seniors and if they lost in playoffs they were done. They were lucky to be 13 seed that year with 12 losses. Then they killed everybody in playoffs the red springs team they beat had 3 6 footers and Mitchell run them girls in the ground with their speed. Truly amazing performance that year. Playoffs can bring out best in teams
Ledford east Davidson tonight be a good game

Is this the year that the top 2 WHC varsity basketball teams win it all?
I think Avery and Heritage both have a chance for a deep run. Avery has 3 starters from their regional finals team 2 yrs ago and Heritage... well they’re Heritage. I think Mitchell could possibly be a tough out for a lot of teams in 1a. They start 3 sophomores and 2 juniors but they have grown a lot as this season progressed. I had high hopes for Madison after a solid season last yr and they returned all 5 starters, but they have kinda fizzled at the end of the season. Good luck to all WHC teams in the state playoffs.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I think Avery and Heritage both have a chance for a deep run. Avery has 3 starters from their regional finals team 2 yrs ago and Heritage... well they’re Heritage. I think Mitchell could possibly be a tough out for a lot of teams in 1a. They start 3 sophomores and 2 juniors but they have grown a lot as this season progressed. I had high hopes for Madison after a solid season last yr and they returned all 5 starters, but they have kinda fizzled at the end of the season. Good luck to all WHC teams in the state playoffs.
I agree with you 100 percent. Bout Madison they lost to Owen. Wow! It was a tough game at Madison. But we had 23 point lead at avery s gym. And Mitchell has definitely got more consistent. I could not believe we beat them by 20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT