ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on at Richmond?

Originally posted by crysnake:
In case you didn't know, It's the program, fans and Raider spirit, not the coach.
The coaches & players were the ones that helped create the program. The fans are the current worst thing about Richmond.

I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing, but there seems to be a divide when it comes to opinions. Just looking on social media and talking in public, you can see a GENERAL trend in the pro hoggard crowd and the anti hoggard crowd.

Hoggard put Richmond in the best postition to win, Richmond has nowhere near the depth and talent they have had in the past. What tenured succesful Coach outside of Richmond would want to work there? The expectations have become higher than the talent level. Than you have to deal with some looney and delusional fan base every day. The success they had was because of Hoggard. Great program, but the State Champs no longer have to go through Richmond.

Rockinghams lack of growth and people moving. I could easily see Richmond moving down to 3a in 5years.

This post was edited on 3/27 8:40 PM by nepsy7

Heard it was a done deal the coach at West Montgomery was going to be the next coach.

Richmond moving to 3A will take at least a decade, if ever. ADM numbers are still in the top tier of 4A. But it is true that many bright and talented people (not to say that there aren't any right now) are going off to college and not coming back. There's nothing there anymore. RC was a mill county, and with outsourcing came the decline of RC. I'm a RC native, Hamlet to be exact, and I graduated from college in 2014 and am now taking a teaching and hopefully coaching position in the near future with CMS. Nothing there for myself or my family. Graduated from RSHS in 2008 and I vowed not to come back. Sad to say it, but it's not the same. But we can still be title contenders. But the days of pure dominance over all are over and have been for at least 15 years. Can't wait to see who the next coach is! My prediction: Hales, Eddins, or Wood.

This post was edited on 3/27 10:55 PM by UNCGrad2014

Hoggard put Richmond in the best position to win. "Really", I all I saw, was how great he was at making excuses! He literally ruined the Raider program and in the process, totally messed up the Jr. High program to boot. Finally, when the nepotism factor kicked in, most of the true Raider faithful, had enough! The program needs to clean house and get someone in there that really wants to win. This is a good first step! Later

Originally posted by jabr:
Heard it was a done deal the coach at West Montgomery was going to be the next coach.
I wouldn't count on it. He has a great situation where he's at and knows there's unreal expectations at Richmond. Plus, there is some alleged skeletons in the closet from his younger days at Richmond.

Originally posted by Football-Friday:
Originally posted by jabr:
I wouldn't count on it. He has a great situation where he's at and knows there's unreal expectations at Richmond. Plus, there is some alleged skeletons in the closet from his younger days at Richmond.
closet-skeleton.jpg

ONE OF THEM SKELETONS WHICH I DONT KNOW WHO CLAIMS IT: The Booster Club paying the players for every big play they made

IS THIS CONSIDERED ONE OF RCs BOOSTER CLUB BY-LAW?[/B]

W. Montgomery as head coach and AD? I wouldn't leave that. And some of those skeletons are true. Was going down when I was playing. But no one is perfect. As far as the junior high program... that's not all Hoggard's fault. Previous superintendent came up with the bright idea to eliminate the junior highs. That's what really killed our feeder schools. Those rivalries between the junior highs used to be epic to the point that RSHS coaches would come in droves to attend. Fun fact: Dannel Ellerbe wasn't a starter in 9th grade, but he's an Super Bowl champion now. This new system would've possibly eliminated him from his untapped potential that was realized at RSHS. So many kids that used to play simply don't anymore because of the Academy going to one team. Now, where I have an issue with Coach is when he now has all schools running his offense. I never agreed with that philosophy because of this scenario that we're currently at. The coaching search needs to be proficient and soon because there's a lot of work to be done in terms of new philosophies.

I just hope it's going to be someone OUTSIDE of the school to take over and one that has a PASSING GAME!!

Be glad that the Idiot Slayer has been dormant. What you imply is that the players and fans would win without coaching. That is a ridiculous statement. The program, with changes throughout each and every coaching change, is the coach...like it or not.

I have always thought the idea that the ninth grade academy has hurt Richmond football is way overblown. Freshman playing JV has not hurt the programs in Charlotte, New Bern, Crest, Havelock, Shelby, et al although I would like to see more freshman only games where possible. Freshmen having their own team at Scotland has not worked out too bad and I expect moving them to the JV has not either. The larger schools in some states and ares will branch out and have a separate freshman team or try to get some games for freshmen only competition. The numbers to have four separate ninth grade teams also makes it pretty tough to have the numbers and I am sure at least one if not more of the schools had trouble having enough ninth graders to have decent numbers.

The best program in the Carolinas the last ten years is Byrnes near Spartanburg SC. They are a 9-12 school that run a spread offense. Every team that feeds to Byrnes from the middle school down to the youngest youth ball run the Rebels offense and defense. It is required to throw the football every so many plays in the youth league. Every team has a name that ends with Rebels.

Would you rather win the Richmond County four school 7th and 8th grade championship or build players that will be more ready to play in high school?

The philosophy of running the same.system throughout the school system is a great idea IF the system can translate into some similar form of it if there is a new coach. I highly doubt that the next coach's base offensive philosophy will be the triple option. There in lies the problem. It's definitely going to be a transition. And to be honest, I hope that we struggle at first. It'll hopefully make the majority of the fans that have become unfairly judgemental a dose of reality.

UNCGrad2014

i would like to know who you are man. i left richmond in 2008 to and i played a little football in my day!!!![/URL]

Please do not bad mouth the individual at West Montgomery. He has done for the young men at that school then any 1 person I know. He is the very definition of character and integrity. If he chooses to head down to RC and take over that program, I wish him the very best of luck. But do not question the man that he became in the last few years. You will not find a better human being to coach your sons then this individual. He is no longer the AD at West, as of this past fall.

@Nep, I beg to differ!

What tenured succesful Coach outside of Richmond would want to work there? The expectations have become higher than the talent level. The success they had was because of Hoggard. Great program, but the State Champs no longer have to go through Richmond.

Rockinghams lack of growth and people moving. I could easily see Richmond moving down to 3a in 5years.

What coach leaves Butler, Jack Britt, Scotland Co. Independence, and even your beloved Mallard Creek one day. I promise you Richmond Co. still has enough talent to contend for a state title year in and year out and also win one or two. There was success before Hoggard and there will be success after Hoggard leaves. So it's ok for a coach to leave the program but it's not ok for the program to get rid of a coach. I promise you the State Title steal has to go through Richmond Co., bring the right coach in to a Historic program and watch that sleeping giant wake up. Go ask the Alabama fan base or Nick Saban. We will never be 3A Mallard Creek will go 3A before Richmond Co. does
………………………………..

Originally posted by dcov33:
@Nep, I beg to differ!

What tenured succesful Coach outside of Richmond would want to work there? The expectations have become higher than the talent level. The success they had was because of Hoggard. Great program, but the State Champs no longer have to go through Richmond.

What coach leaves Butler, Jack Britt, Scotland Co. Independence, and even your beloved Mallard Creek one day. I promise you Richmond Co. still has enough talent to contend for a state title year in and year out and also win one or two. There was success before Hoggard and there will be success after Hoggard leaves. So it's ok for a coach to leave the program but it's not ok for the program to get rid of a coach. I promise you the State Title steal has to go through Richmond Co., bring the right coach in to a Historic program and watch that sleeping giant wake up. Go ask the Alabama fan base or Nick Saban. We will never be 3A Mallard Creek will go 3A before Richmond Co. does
………………………………..
Currently zero 3a schools in Meck County. Hasn't been one as long as I can remember. Mallard Creek area one of the fastest growing in the state with the 485 beltway nearly finished. Residential and commercial development at a level not seen since the mid 90's in this area. They will eventually have to build another HS and that coupled with a HC change may effect the dynamics at Mallard creek but not until that scenario plays out will you see a decline.

Dcov- If you believe Hoggard was a good coach ( I think you do) then what would be the reason for the obvious decline? If they can contend for a state title year in and year out then why hasn't that happened? Lossed to NW Guilford, Wake county teams at home. Long way from a state title...

Dcov33

I believe the new trend in CMS.. Win in Charlotte, than move on to South Carolina and double your salary. Yes it's inevitable that all the coaches will eventually leave. You're comparing Richmond to Alabama and Richmond is not a sleeping Giant. lmao! You do realize that Mallard Creek is located in Charlotte NC and people are moving out of Rockingham daily? Unless Rockingham gets a few Manufacturing plants that equate to jobs than 3A is definitely in the future.

Please no promises because as of now, the state title does not and has not went through Richmond in years. The last 5 State Championship Teams. Richmond has not had a team that would come within 21 points of the 5 previous State Champ Teams.

You are fooling yourself if you believe any tenured coach with success who resides in the state of NC is beating down the doors trying to Coach at Richmond. The only guys i could see interested in the Richmond job. Coach already on staff, Out of State guy who is clueless on what he is signing up for, Tenured guy who just wants to finish up his retirement for 2 years and their desperate.

You guys did not get rid of the Coach. You ran him off. Him moving close to his family was probably about 15% of why he left the program. The other 85% was because of the delusional fans that believe Richmond should have been winning more State Championship during his tenure.

Well, we know why we lost to the Wake Co. school, everyone in the stands can answer that question. In 2013 the head coach would not start the 3year starter against NW Guilford; there was beef between the head coach and the child's mother.

B4 Hogg was there what was Ed Emory Record, B4 Ed Emory got there what was Daryl Barnes Record, B4 Daryl Barnes got there what was Hal Shuler Record, B4 Hal Shuler took over for Daryl what was Daryl Record.

Daryl Barnes 1987-1990
Hal Shuler 1991-1996
Daryl Barnes 1997-2000
Ed Emory 2001-2006
Hoggard 2007-2014

I been around long enough to realize Charlotte Powers that last long enough until another Charlotte-Mecklenburg Co. school is the King up there. I lived through the West Charlotte then Independence, then Butler, now Mallard Creek in 3 years it will be another Charlotte school. I remember when Meck Co. schools would get roasted by those schools in the East. The NFL, growth in Meck Co. and UNC Charlotte is helping you guys out.

Agree 100% with nepsy. As I stated on another thread.....Because of all the crap on various social media sites about Richmond over the last few years, only two types will apply for this job.

1. Someone on staff that enjoys the players.
2. An idiot.

Originally posted by dcov33:

What coach leaves Butler, Jack Britt, Scotland Co. Independence, and even your beloved Mallard Creek one day.
We're all a little surprised that Coach Palmieri is still here, to be honest with you. Coach P is a Florida guy, and he's never kept it a secret that he would ideally like to be coaching further south. We figure he's gone as soon as one of the cushy Georgia jobs opens up or something along those lines. Until then, though, we'll continue to appreciate what he's doing to raise awareness for North Carolina football around the region, and he will definitely be missed once he does decide to move on.

Nepsy, your post is damn near flawless, but there is one thing I would like to pick at. You state Richmond wouldn't be within 21 points against the past 5 state champs. 2010 Butler won the state tittle, and Richmond lost to them early in the season 21-7. Other than that, I agree with what you are stating.

Wiseman83.

That same year in the playoffs, Butler rolled into Richmond and beat them 48-21

Dcov- If you believe Hoggard was a good coach ( I think you do) then what would be the reason for the obvious decline? If they can contend for a state title year in and year out then why hasn't that happened? Lossed to NW Guilford, Wake county teams at home. Long way from a state title...
Nepsy, While it most likely isn't the ONLY reason Hoggard is leaving, it is no secret that he has wanted to move back home for several years. Maybe the time is just right for him now. But let's not let facts get in the way of you and others running down Richmond County & their fans.

Originally posted by 1Twister:

Nepsy, While it most likely isn't the ONLY reason Hoggard is leaving, it is no secret that he has wanted to move back home for several years. Maybe the time is just right for him now. But let's not let facts get in the way of you and others running down Richmond County & their fans.
1twister- That's me your quoting and not Nepsy and I have been pretty careful to state "some" of the Richmond county fans.

I don't think the state title runs through Richmond anymore and the statement that they can compete for a title year in and year out is just false in my opinion. There has been little evidence of that in the past 4-5 years

Why he left is his business but I do think that the Richmond County fan base overrates this HC position as it stands in 2015. They are the 2nd best team in their conf and losing ground not making it up. I think Richmond will end up with a good coach but I am hearing names thrown around on other boards like Knotts, Barnes, Hales, Bailey... I don't think that is happening

Hales is accurate. The others are pipe dreams. Is Richmond dominant as in the past? Not even close. Can it still contend for state titles? If that defense tightens up, absolutely. Defense has been the Achilles heel for Richmond for the last 7-8 years. That may be the most important hire of all, the DC.

I think a CMS HC that does not have a conflict with family or a wife having a very good job in Charlotte may be very interested and expect some names have been thrown in the hat. CMS teaching schedule and the way they are treated does not make happy campers but having big time talent and more pay than most jobs keeps them in the position.

The job at Richmond is great within the confines of Richmond Senior. Great schedule, good pay, and strong admin support. It is the BS one puts up with from the outside and especially when they have a young family. Emory did not give a crap because that is how he was and he had no young children or teenagers.

Originally posted by Blue and Gold22:

1Ttwister- That's me your quoting and not Nepsy and I have been pretty careful to state "some" of the Richmond county fans.

I don't think the state title runs through Richmond anymore and the statement that they can compete for a title year in and year out is just false in my opinion. There has been little evidence of that in the past 4-5 years

Why he left is his business but I do think that the Richmond County fan base overrates this HC position as it stands in 2015. They are the 2nd best team in their conf and losing ground not making it up. I think Richmond will end up with a good coach but I am hearing names thrown around on other boards like Knotts, Barnes, Hales, Bailey... I don't think that is happening
Then I apologize to Nepsy. Look, most of us realize the talent level is not where it was. We also know that other systems have caught up with us in areas like year round weight lifting (something Richmond did before most anyone else in NC). Add to that, the Charlotte area has professional trainers and former pro players offering private position coaching and we are behind the 8-ball so to speak. But, Richmond still has lots of talent and athletes and fields a team that can compete with 95% of the schools in NC year in and year out. Some years we can even compete for the "crown."

I realize for most bigger city folks, it appears that we are much more rabid than most other fans. And it is true. And yes we have some clowns to go with it. But the issue lies beyond just football. Richmond County has lost everything else we had. Nascar is gone and so are the jobs. Just about the only thing left to be proud of is Raider football. So yes we hang our hats on hometown pride, the Richmond Raiders. Maybe a little too vocally, but it is what it is.

1Twister

Originally posted by 1Twister:

1Ttwister- That's me your quoting and not Nepsy and I have been pretty careful to state "some" of the Richmond county fans.

Then I apologize to Nepsy. Look, most of us realize the talent level is not where it was. We also know that other systems have caught up with us in areas like year round weight lifting (something Richmond did before most anyone else in NC). Add to that, the Charlotte area has professional trainers and former pro players offering private position coaching and we are behind the 8-ball so to speak. But, Richmond still has lots of talent and athletes and fields a team that can compete with 95% of the schools in NC year in and year out. Some years we can even compete for the "crown."

I realize for most bigger city folks, it appears that we are much more rabid than most other fans. And it is true. And yes we have some clowns to go with it. But the issue lies beyond just football. Richmond County has lost everything else we had. Nascar is gone and so are the jobs. Just about the only thing left to be proud of is Raider football. So yes we hang our hats on hometown pride, the Richmond Raiders. Maybe a little too vocally, but it is what it is.

1Twister
I have zero issues with passion. I wish the Charlotte schools had more of it. With that passion comes the down side and I get that. My thought process isn't with the rabid fan base as much as it with the talent level and execution on the field. I think Richmond has fallen behind some for all of the reasons above and then some.

I agree with UNC- The defense has been dreadful and not nearly championship level in several years. So much debate over the run heavy offense but watching them on defense at times has been rough. There in lies the problem. I don't think you guys get the athletes you used to get . They still be at the school they just don't seem to be committed to playing Raider ball. When that changes I think then you are a threat year in and year out.

I agree with UNC- The defense has been dreadful and not nearly championship level in several years. So much debate over the run heavy offense but watching them on defense at times has been rough. There in lies the problem. I don't think you guys get the athletes you used to get . They still be at the school they just don't seem to be committed to playing Raider ball. When that changes I think then you are a threat year in and year out.
NM
This post was edited on 4/6 10:09 PM by 1Twister

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT