ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Going On At Shelby?

XChamp15

Jan 21, 2015
After reading about losing a few kids to other schools this off season and the Crest fans rubbing their noses in it, I contacted a friend connected to the Shelby program. (Not a coach) He confirmed that 6-8 players had transferred out and coaches expect more to leave. He said he thinks kids are chasing rings.

Anyone in the know have details why the Shelby football program seems to be imploding?

It is a shame that a program with the history of Shelby has one "down" year and other coaches in the county are evidently poaching the talent.

Shelby will be fine in the long run, you can bet on that.

I want comment on the R word, I will say alot of kids at Shelby think because we will probably start a sophomore Qb we might not have great year this year.
So guess u could say ring chasing.
I remember in 15-16 Coach Ware talking about us having 60-70 kids on sidelines, and he felt most were ring chasing...
Guess it can happen.

Easy there, Tiger, there are 2 other schools besides the school named after toothpaste.

Kings Mt is trying to build a national powerhouse with the new coach, I see SC players moving in there if anytihing, maybe even some from Gaston next door. Burns is mostly goat herding and bigfoot country, would be harder for them.

Km coach use to winning with cream of crop, I need to see how he does with KM this 1st year. I do belive he's good coach

Reactions: Chopper747
He by no doubt a great hire...just wanting to see how things will change and how he does

What factor does residency play in Cleveland County? Is there open enrollment?
You just had to file for a transfer and as long as you can get them there it usually gets approved unless they have attendance issues the year before

Hypothetically speaking if I was a decently good football player and a rising senior entering more than likely my last year of play, could I be blamed for wanting to play with other seasoned players instead of a team on a 2 or 3 year build up?

By the way other than what I read here I know absolutely nothing about anyone transferring schools.

You just had to file for a transfer and as long as you can get them there it usually gets approved unless they have attendance issues the year before
I tried to tell people that on here a couple of years ago. One person said that they even went and asked a football coach and the coach said it wasn't true, which I knew it was. As long as you stay in the county, you can go to any school in the county you want as long as it's not over capacity. Been that way for years.

Don't think that's Necessarily the way it is, I know years back to transfer u had to even sit a year out of sports, but think that disappeared years ago.
But I belive the rule is u have to live in that schools border lines, and with a legal guardian.
Is that rule followed? Doubt it
Think there's ways around it

Reactions: Ifthehorseshoefits
Don't think that's Necessarily the way it is, I know years back to transfer u had to even sit a year out of sports, but think that disappeared years ago.
But I belive the rule is u have to live in that schools border lines, and with a legal guardian.
Is that rule followed? Doubt it
Think there's ways around it
That is how it works in elementary school because I am an educator in Cleveland County Schools

Yeah prob down there, but even it has to be approved by schoolboard, my daughter should go to James Love but goes to Jefferson we transferred cause my wife did work at Health Dept. Easier for transport.
But we did have to fill out paper work and why transfer.
At high school I belive what I said above is truth.
Weather it stands by school board idk.

Yeah prob down there, but even it has to be approved by schoolboard, my daughter should go to James Love but goes to Jefferson we transferred cause my wife did work at Health Dept. Easier for transport.
But we did have to fill out paper work and why transfer.
At high school I belive what I said above is truth.
Weather it stands by school board idk.
Oh yeah. You have to fill out paper work and get approved but they very rarely deny transfers unless you have been a attendance problem or if the school you want to go to doesn’t have room in that certain grade level or you don’t have means of transportation.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
I looked it up, parts u said are right, the rule is still in it about sitting out 365 days for sports.
So we know that's not followed.
U can goggle it... other things listed in there,

I looked it up, parts u said are right, the rule is still in it about sitting out 365 days for sports.
Yeah I agree they don’t follow that rule at all. I wonder if it is suppose to be the same if a player comes out of county

Doesnt the NCHSAA transfer rule change come into play? The rules were changed several years ago with the 1 time allow to change schools without a physical move and immediately play sports after entering 9th grade or the start of a high school practice. You could get a second transfer and immediately play if you have an actual physical move.

I've always been told the nchsaa doesn't really get too involved with eligibility issues that they usually leave it up to the county boards

Shelby player tried to transfer to Crest last year was denied and told he had to sit 365.. I think kid ended up going to Stuart Cramer..obviously his paperwork and residency thinks where in question so it doesn’t always work out..

Reactions: Ifthehorseshoefits
Shelby player tried to transfer to Crest last year was denied and told he had to sit 365.. I think kid ended up going to Stuart Cramer..obviously his paperwork and residency thinks where in question so it doesn’t always work out..
I do not know first hand knowledge of this particular one but you can't specifically say you are going to another school as a transfer to play a sport. If you say anything about wanting to switch to play a sport, that triggers the 365. Switch for classes offered, easier for guardian to arrange drop off or pick up from work or even just to get away from hanging with the wrong crowd at old school, you are good to go as long as school isn't over capacity.

I do not know first hand knowledge of this particular one but you can't specifically say you are going to another school as a transfer to play a sport. If you say anything about wanting to switch to play a sport, that triggers the 365. Switch for classes offered, easier for guardian to arrange drop off or pick up from work or even just to get away from hanging with the wrong crowd at old school, you are good to go as long as school isn't over capacity.
Kid was very transparent, told them it was a football move, and was denied. Good player, too. Sub 4.4 40, 10.9 100 meters. I’m sure he will end up on a college roster as a db, or could easily go for track as a sprinter, rising senior.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the days where you went to school where you lived, stayed with the friends you made in elementary school, and played sports with the kids you grew up with? I married a Crest girl the first time around and I was adamant that we would live in the North end and that our future kids would absolutely be Bulldogs.

Whatever happened to the days where you went to school where you lived, stayed with the friends you made in elementary school, and played sports with the kids you grew up with? I married a Crest girl the first time around and I was adamant that we would live in the North end and that our future kids would absolutely be Bulldogs.
I blame it on the parents. It's more important to win a state championship then to stay committed to your friends and community. What lessons are being taught here?

Kid was very transparent, told them it was a football move, and was denied. Good player, too. Sub 4.4 40, 10.9 100 meters. I’m sure he will end up on a college roster as a db, or could easily go for track, as a sprinter, rising senior.
I figured, because most transfers are not denied in the county because all the high schools are under capacity.

Thanks bro, I guess in that statement I meant we had alot of kids that wanted a ring but didn't put much effort in playing
Yea man I mean it’s true. As far as kids leaving or any schools recruiting kids idk.

Clinton is under a microscope right now for “supposedly” doing same thing. I highly doubt they are poaching anyone from a school with a pedigree like Shelby. Clinton might be getting kids from schools that haven’t sniffed titles but I’m shocked to hear it could be happening at Shelby. SMH.

Last edited:
Reactions: shelbyfan1
I blame it on the parents. It's more important to win a state championship then to stay committed to your friends and community. What lessons are being taught here?
Some moves are for a genuine reason besides championships. I personally took my kid to another school for better coaching and more like minded teammates. I had paid for years to attend a certain school in Cleveland County because I was out of county. Switched to the charter school in Shelby going into 6th grade(trust me when I say that school will never hurt Cleveland County athletes unless a County school has archery). Kids team won a state championship in the charters sport association Pinnacle was a part of in 9th grade and then made the move to SC to where KM new coach came from in its 1st year open. Best decision ever. Very competitive teams with teammates with the same goal of playing next level. Top notch coaching and academics were excellent. Kids team had the 2nd highest GPA in the country for thier sport.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
Some moves are for a genuine reason besides championships. I personally took my kid to another school for better coaching and more like minded teammates. I had paid for years to attend a certain school in Cleveland County because I was out of county. Switched to the charter school in Shelby going into 6th grade(trust me when I say that school will never hurt Cleveland County athletes unless a County school has archery). Kids team won a state championship in the charters sport association Pinnacle was a part of in 9th grade and then made the move to SC to where KM new coach came from in its 1st year open. Best decision ever. Very competitive teams with teammates with the same goal of playing next level. Top notch coaching and academics were excellent. Kids team had the 2nd highest GPA in the country for thier sport.
Listen, I'm sure there are some that are legit. But let's be honest here, most of them are moving to play for a better team or opportunities. Especially, if the 6-7 players transferring from Shelby are true, do you think all of them, all of a sudden need to move? I don't think so.

Listen, I'm sure there are some that are legit. But let's be honest here, most of them are moving to play for a better team or opportunities. Especially, if the 6-7 players transferring from Shelby are true, do you think all of them, all of a sudden need to move? I don't think so.
Totally agree. It's about the opportunity, moving or not moving. I wasnt saying they moved for family reasons, classes or something like that. I see it as sports related like most,but if it's within the rules, I am ok with it personally.

Reactions: nwguilford007
That 365 rule only applied to one transfer from Burns to Crest years ago. No other school has been held to that rule period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT