ADVERTISEMENT

West Rowan at Hibriten

I kinda have same feeling bout this game as I do bout that East Lincoln/WestC rematch. The numbers can't lie. If they stomped Crest like they did and made that GREAT defense of theirs ineffective, along with the play of Hibritens defense against Watauga, the odds are against them. WR is a whole different animal from what Hibriten has faced. On paper, it goes toward West Rowan as a victor by 14 to 21 points. I know games aren't played on paper.

Main key to a Hibriten win: stay on the blocks like never before and get these holes open. Every yard will have to count. Keep pressure on QB cause secondary will need the help

I kinda have same feeling bout this game as I do bout that East Lincoln/WestC rematch. The numbers can't lie. If they stomped Crest like they did and made that GREAT defense of theirs ineffective, along with the play of Hibritens defense against Watauga, the odds are against them. WR is a whole different animal from what Hibriten has faced. On paper, it goes toward West Rowan as a victor by 14 to 21 points. I know games aren't played on paper.

Main key to a Hibriten win: stay on the blocks like never before and get these holes open. Every yard will have to count. Keep pressure on QB cause secondary will need the help
I hope you are right but I don't see the stats you are referring to. Hibriten scores more points than we do and their defense gives up less. If you would elaborate just a little more. I don't even see us 3 point favorites much less 14 to 21

So what does Hibriten like to do on offense? They hang up some big numbers so what's the deal? Are they a option team? A spread team???

I hope you are right but I don't see the stats you are referring to. Hibriten scores more points than we do and their defense gives up less. If you would elaborate just a little more. I don't even see us 3 point favorites much less 14 to 21

They may do it(score more) but their schedule is softer than yalls was. That's what everyone thought bout the Burns game but Hibriten came to play and they layed a whooping. Burns lost to Crest. You guys ran through em. So chances are West game may very well be down to the wire with the slight edge...or 14 to 21

My prediction is West 28 Hibriten 24
So what does Hibriten like to do on offense? They hang up some big numbers so what's the deal? Are they a option team? A spread team???
Very physical option team . They have lots of speed. There offense is very efficient. I have not seen you guys play but you have your hands full. They remind me of some of the great South point teams of the past

Very little, but just when you think run, they will pass..... but only 3 or 4 times a game.

Very little, but just when you think run, they will pass..... but only 3 or 4 times a game.
That's what I figured. Well, we will just have to see how we match up I guess. Our defense is very fast and physical I am sure we will have a game plan for it. We have seen versions of it this year but not ran like Hibriten does. We figured it out at SouthPoint last year in the second half.

Hibriten has 1 of their better offensive lines this year. Linemen never get any credit but they cream people on trap blocks and get down field and block as well.

Hibriten has 1 of their better offensive lines this year. Linemen never get any credit but they cream people on trap blocks and get down field and block as well.
You got that right. A team is not putting up offensive numbers like you guys without a great O-line. The game is won in the trenches and the guys there usually never get recognized.
Your offense looks very impressive.

West Rowan should have this one. Hibriten still hasn't been tested. They scrimmaged South Point and lost but that didn't count.
A scrimmage means absolutely nothing. Especially at this point in the season. So much has probably changed about each team.

this has never been my favorite offense but Hibriten runs it better than any. Obviously it works, so what can I say.... keep running it!

It is an offense that was installed by coach Cannon some 18 years ago....it is efficient and difficult to game plan for, (see GA Tech and Navy), it produces offense and distributes the ball to the best athletes. We get "solid" and "fast" kids physically, but minus a Lipford or Quin Smith, we just don't have the prototype 6'3 QB throwing to 6'4-6'5 receivers on a consistent basis. and Typically in 2A-3A you don't need that type of dynamic offense to be successful.

Reactions: patsfball
West Rowan fans, is number #95 out for the year or is he playing again? I saw that he got injured a while back.

Also for you WR visitors, Perkz BBQ on Hwy 18 would be a good place to stop for dinner. He cooks on site. It will be on your right just past Pendry's funeral home if you are coming from HWY 321. If you come HWY 90/64, you will turn left at the stoplight (to go to Hibriten you turn right) and it is about a quarter mile down on the left (Just before you get to Pendry's funeral home).

Just out of curiosity, does Hibriten have a lot coming back besides that soph RB to reload and take the new 2A conf that they'll be in pretty easily?

Just seems like it's just gonna get easier for em. This post should be on another thread and I'm jumping ahead of myself but...I went ahead and typed it up anyway.

Just out of curiosity, does Hibriten have a lot coming back besides that soph RB to reload and take the new 2A conf that they'll be in pretty easily?

Just seems like it's just gonna get easier for em. This post should be on another thread and I'm jumping ahead of myself but...I went ahead and typed it up anyway.
I think about 3-4 juniors start and a handful of sophomores start or get decent playing time.
Patton returns there qb, fb, and rb so I'm sure they'll be tuff next year.

It is an offense that was installed by coach Cannon some 18 years ago....it is efficient and difficult to game plan for, (see GA Tech and Navy), it produces offense and distributes the ball to the best athletes. We get "solid" and "fast" kids physically, but minus a Lipford or Quin Smith, we just don't have the prototype 6'3 QB throwing to 6'4-6'5 receivers on a consistent basis. and Typically in 2A-3A you don't need that type of dynamic offense to be successful.
I found some highlights the 2nd year Hibriten ran it. Compared to today the offense is much more smooth and fast.

Reactions: Hibriten97
Hibriten has others coming back as well. #21 is a junior at safety, he can tote the rock; #27 the other safety is a Soph. he can tote the rock to, he runs like a mad man. You'll get your chance next year to see him run mad! The middle Linebacker #36 is a junior. #42 is a soph who will be at b-back for next year, along with #32 a Soph. He got moved up for the playoffs, but I believe the B-back position is in good hands for the future. # 5 can ball another soph. The QB #4 another soph has gotten opportunities playing quite a bit this year on varsity. I would say that next year looks bright. On the line #56 starts as a soph, #62 another soph. is at center. #52 the good sized kicker returns as he is a junior on the OL, DL. #45 another soph starts on the DL. #53 is a soph, rotating in on DL. Then there is #25! I probably left someone or a few out. I think Hibriten will be alright!

I plan on being at this game as the last game I took in for Hibriten was against Freedom.

Seems like Hibriten's offense just has not been challenged, will West Rowan's defense be able to? Slow them down enough? Get some turnovers?

Last edited:
I plan on being at this game as the last game I took in for Hibriten was against Freedom.

Seems like Hibriten's offense just has not been challenged, will West Rowan's defense be able to? Slow them down enough? Get some turnovers?
I would be willing to bet that Hibriten has a pretty difficult time by the second half moving the ball. They'll want to get as much as they can early. I've been to several West games since 08 including the South Point games and they are as good of an option defense that you'll see. Though talent changes they are very well coached.

Reactions: Mt.Ulla-falcon-fan
Two well coached teams for sure. Either team could win this game depending on the others output. IMO Hibriten is a bit better and will win this game.

I would be willing to bet that Hibriten has a pretty difficult time by the second half moving the ball. They'll want to get as much as they can early. I've been to several West games since 08 including the South Point games and they are as good of an option defense that you'll see. Though talent changes they are very well coached.

I would have to agree. Not with Hibriten having difficulty part, but with the fact that we usually handle this type of offense well. We have seen this style offense a good bit over the years. A few teams in our conference run versions of it. However we have not faced a team that runs this offense this Efficently nor has the talent as does Hibriten.
This year missing assignments in pass coverage has been our issue not stopping the run. No way to know how we will stack up with Hibriten. I think we will be the best defense they have seen and I believe they will be the best running team we have seen. Hope for a good game with no injuries to either team.

If we can hold them under 21 we should win. We can't get in a scoring battle with them. We have to control the clock and keep their offense on the side line.

That my friend shall remain a mystery. Can't give away secrets like that. Y'all don't need any help.
I was looking at you guys earlier in the year, #95 has a motor! Then I read were he was hurt, coach says that he is OK. Have not seen the young man since on the field. Hopefully he is going good.

I was looking at you guys earlier in the year, #95 has a motor! Then I read were he was hurt, coach says that he is OK. Have not seen the young man since on the field. Hopefully he is going good.
Very scary injury. He had to be carried to the EMS unit. Kid is a beast. I honestly don't know his return probability. Was a bad injury. I think he is ok now but don't know anything else.

Man, sounds like as long as he can get back to normal activities, that is the main thing! He was a beast! His day to day is what is important, hope everything is working out for the young man!

In 2010 WR focused on the FB and QB but the pitch was there all night.
Was WR's head coach on staff when Young was there?

Coach Nixon was the OC during the 3peat. He was hired I believe in 04 or 05 to coach the OL. He left to coach at North Rowan then he returned when Coach Young stepped down

Last edited:
Reactions: beamer24
Man, sounds like as long as he can get back to normal activities, that is the main thing! He was a beast! His day to day is what is important, hope everything is working out for the young man!
In 2010 WR focused on the FB and QB but the pitch was there all night.
Was WR's head coach on staff when Young was there?
He was, as well as the Line backer coach and the defensive ends coach. So you have at least three that game planned against this offense 6 years ago.

I seen Havelock play orange high last Friday orange gave up 45 points going to that game Havelock won 14-7 that's was a good defensive game winner. Of west craven Havelock game will winner state. They will play Hibriten Hibriten beats west rowan 49-21 beats south point 55- 28

Just watched some game film of Hibriten against Burns and McMichael. HOLY COW that little QB is fast! Burns was 100% lost as to stopping that Hibriten offense. It was big play after big play.
Against this offense you must game plan to totally take out two of the three in the back field. IMO concentrate on the QB and the Pitch to the RB. These two have blazing speed and are the bigger long run threats. The full back is an animal but I would make them beat me with him He is a great player but less big play potential. Our defensive line is very good. They will handle him half the time at least.
After watching two of their games I have come to the conclusion that the Hibriten offense cannot be totally stopped but must be limited. Their defense while good is not as good as several we have already faced this
year. I believe we should be able to move the ball on them.
Their game with Wataga is how to beat them. Keep them in the 20-28 point range and out score them in a close game. Hibriten will not be shut out nor blown out.

Your observation is pretty accurate.... Hibriten has too many weapons to be shut down, at best you try to limit. With the exception of Watauga no team has come anywhere close to stopping this offense. Defensively - good luck! If the normal Hibriten defense shows up West Rowan offense will know it. They are quick to the ball, aggressive, and skilled. I think this will be a great game - should be a 4th rounder instead of 3rd.

Much respect for both programs - may the team with the most heart win!

Your observation is pretty accurate.... Hibriten has too many weapons to be shut down, at best you try to limit. With the exception of Watauga no team has come anywhere close to stopping this offense. Defensively - good luck! If the normal Hibriten defense shows up West Rowan offense will know it. They are quick to the ball, aggressive, and skilled. I think this will be a great game - should be a 4th rounder instead of 3rd.

Much respect for both programs - may the team with the most heart win!
Not slighting the Hibriten defense at all. Just saying their offense is their best unit

Hibritens defense did enough to stop Watauga in a close one. If Watauga wasn't lackluster on defense they'd been a defeat in Lenior with players heads hanging low. Of course there was turnovers which kept Watauga in the game. Hibriten came in a different breed fri against Burns and NO turnovers. Makes a huge difference. If Hibritens O commits just ONE turnover in a game like this it could be difference in moving fwd or hitting the pine floor.

WR fan asked me bout the offense and someone answered it for me so good job. Very limited passing. Ran the ball more than Butch Carters old offense at South ha ha. Or so it looked like. Can't fault em, if it works, go with it.

I want Hibriten to win as much as the next man on the home side but with all the predictions of a win I'm just not sure. Any team rolling into Lenior that beat down Crest leaves me scratching my head. Not sure how the rest of Lenior community feels lol

Reactions: marsgreen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT