ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomerygirls win 96-4.....

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
West Montgomery hosted Uwharrie Charter last night, and when I saw the score I couldn't believe it. WM won the game 96-4. Uwharrie is a new charter school in Randolph County, and I know WM is one of the best girls teams in 1A, but this is a little much. No reason for a team to get slaughtered by 92 in any sport in high school let alone pros. Shows a classless act by West and how it seems they just wanted to pad the stats... At some point you have to call off the dogs and just let the clock run out. This over the years is becoming more and more of an issue in HS basketball, as many articles I've read show more and bigger blowouts like this. One coach was actually suspended for winning a game by such a large margin. When as a coach do you draw a line and show a little more class to a defenceless team like this?

This would almost be impossible to do with the running clock mercy rule, with out trying to do it. not good

No 1A girls team in the state can score 96 pts without continuously trying to score; regardless of the competition. The coach should be disciplined for this. Maybe some anger towards the new school because I hear several ex WM students are going there and more will be.

quite the welcome to the new conference next year I guess....was the guys game that bad too?

Charter school first year in existence. I watched a charter school baseball team play in their first year and every time the opponent hit the ball I flinched. It was dangerous. The opposing coach told his kids to run base to base and not try to rip the ball when pitched. Very good team with excellent players that were able to place the ball to some degree.

I spoke to a couple of the WM GBK players last night and they said the 2nd string played the entire 2nd half. Not sure if they were pressing or not. However with the running clock you would think that. Depends on what the score was in the first half.

Whoever was on the floor for WM is irrelevant. A couple of years ago North Wilkes girls beat a team 120-7 and it was disgraceful as well. Just remember what they say about karma......

It is very hard to score 96 points with a running clock, but if the other team is coming down and shooting quickly and not getting back on D. I have a hard time telling a player of not try to score. A coach can limit the team by telling them to make so passes before you score. To me it takes both sides to make this score happen

Too bad, so sad. It is not the job of West Montgomery to stop themselves. Conference tournament starts next week, with the state playoffs following that. I'm sure West ran their offense to work on things in preparation for the conference and state tournament. Uwharrie is 3-20 and been outscored 1,360-436 so far this season. Don't want to get beat by 92? GET BETTER! Or, don't schedule the game. It was Senior Night for a group of girls that helped West go from winning 2 or 3 games a year to a 21-0 regular season (let's be honest, they will pound East too). Not their fault that their opponent is not prepared to compete at the Varsity level. I am tired of people getting butt hurt over teams getting blown out. I am sure that they knew what awaited them at West with it being Senior Night. Again, you don't want to get blown out you need to get better. Top teams should not have to slow themselves down because their opponent is incapable of stopping them. So goes life! If you aren't ready for it, it will smack you in the face and doesn't really care if you were ready or not.

actually it's you that has the loser's mentality. A couple of years ago North Wilkes had lost 75+ games in a row. Then they have some good players and beat a team 120-7 to show how they'd made it. West Montgomery did the same thing. By the way, North Wilke's star player went down on the opening tip of the Regionals at UNCG with a torn ACLand they got blown out...karma.

Stop it with the "butt hurt" comment. It's about competition combined with sportsmanship. Lose with class, win with class...guess that last part escapes you.

My daughters played for the school that has won the 9 in a row. In that 9 year period they have never scored 90 points and only 80 twice. Many times my kid had an open layup in one-sided games and she would pull the ball back. Often Bishop would go without scoring in the 4th quarter. Just last season they went the last quarter and a half without a single point scored during the state playoffs.

If our coach would have ever beaten a team like this he would have heard about during the game not after it.

Wow! Dude you have really lost your perspective. When a team is totally outmatched, it is the responsibility of the coach to keep that from happening. We are talking about 15-17 year old kids that are trying to help get a program started, and they deserve better than that.

Absolutely no place for it in High School athletics period.

Bulldognation2014... Im sure you would agree with this post as if you couldnt wait for something negative to come up about West Montgomery since you lost to them 3 out of 4 times in the past two seasons and everyone has called you out about making excuses. How grown are you to go up to West Montgomery Girls Basketball players/kids and address them about any issue. Im sure there was an adult there from West who could have answered your questions. That's what Cowards do. At this point we all need to worry about our own teams and not what anyone else does. Everyone knows that West coach has been doing this for years overall winning % speaks for itself so what we be the point of Padding stats now. West has had winning records for the last 4 seasons so they have nothing to prove. So if you werent at the game to see what went on BE QUIET... No coach or TEAM is perfect.

Really? This coming from the fan of Alleghany, which beat a team 63-6 in football? And nobody from Albemarle can ever question the integrity of a school that blows out an opponent. Albemarle won two games this year in football by 83 and 60 points. Get over it. Blowouts are all part of sports. Like I said, it is not West Montgomery's job to stop West Montgomery. Those bench players have just as much of a right to play and perform as the starters do. I would expect my players to play their hardest and best regardless of the score. It is the opponent's job to play defense.

This post was edited on 2/12 3:05 PM by FootballFan1467

There are several things WM could have done to keep from running up the score. Use it as a practice session as if they were playing a good zone defense; hence practice passing the ball and shooting the 3. The coach could have said make at least 3 passes before you shoot; and shoot only if you're wide open. There were options other than the one they chose. Uncalled for.

Maybe we are all wrong. I should have went about this totally different.

Congratulations FootballFan on your team destroying a helpless opponent. People that say it was wrong and inappropriate are just people that care about other young people. Please pay no attention to them it is totally wrong to care about others. Please continue to be arrogant and self centered because that is obviously the way to go. Be Proud.

LMAO

I am not commenting about WM as I was not at the game but just making a general comment about that philosophy/saying that I keep hearing all the time...Along the same lines that Alleghany84 stated earlier... the whole notion that it is the other team's job to stop the opponent is true when you are talking about college or pro sports. In interscholastic athletics where the main purpose is teaching life skills to adolescent kids, the whole idea of "it is their job to stop us" is a philosophy that is not part of the mission of what interscholastic athletics is supposed to be about.

One I actually like the girls team at WM. I have a lot of respect for the girls on that team and think the works of them. They are actually at a greater majority of our games. In regards to making excuses, I make none don't believe in them that has been well established. Are the free throws of 4/7 us to 19/29 them an excuse? It's a fact and assisted them in the W. Hell your own reporter even said we should have beat them the first night. Fact. Second night I said they out executed us down the stretch that gave them the w.

Funny you talk about last year. Lmao how was that 40pt loss to Atkins lmao. Hell atleast we held the lead for 3 quarters. Also last year we played 3 games in 3 nights. You guys at our gym we win, we played the next night you all were off, 3rd night we played at your gym and we ran out of gas plain and simple.

In regards to this situation, 96-4 is extreme. Coach could have controlled it. No reason to do that to hs kids for like it kick rocks lol.

Also looks as if we could face again in the 3rd or 4th rd we will be looking forward to it. We are not uwharrie charter.

In regards to the football scores. The 83 the coach was taking delay of game penalties to run out the clock. He honestly did I think everything he could. I was not at the game but with football you have to go all out for the most part or people get hurt from what I was told. I was a basketball player not football

I had a family member play for SD boys team in '12 when they went 24-6... I was talking to him about WM and he said they always have a little bit of a cocky and arrogant attitude. I am a high school coach and I'm telling you right now that I would NEVER... Repeat NEVER... show a team a loss that bad. WM averaged 3 points a minute or 24 points every quarter. Uwharrie from what I was told didn't score the first half at all.... Bishop never did that to anyone of their run. Cause Coach Robinson shows class and respect for struggling teams. And if WM was "getting ready for playoffs".. why don't they try putting quality teams on the schedule, because their schedule is crap. They play 3 good 1A school all year long; GSDS, South Davidson, and Albemarle.

The problem is that everyone thinks they deserve a trophy in today's society. I've played on sports teams in which our a$$ was handed to us and we lost football games by 60+. It sucks but we got over it. It eventually made us better though because we got tired of getting our tails whooped. It may be pointless to beat a team by 90, but it is up to that team to take that loss and turn it into something that can help them.

In life people are not going to take it easy on you. The sooner you learn that the better. Alleghany, you said you were/are in the Army. Did the guys there take it easy on you? Or did you take it easy on them? When you had challenges, did you not try to beat your competitor as best as you could? Or if someone was slacking while running, did you fall behind to make them not look as bad? I know comparing the Army to high school sports is a bit much but I'm just trying to share a point of view. In life people are going to want to beat you rather it is for a starting spot in sports, acceptance into a college or a job opening at a company. You are in charge of making yourself better, you cannot depend on others to take it easy on you.

Wow lol. It's not about everybody deserves a trophy. That is earned but it's about winning the right way with class. Now I do want to be clear those girls on WM are great kids and work very hard. There is always something from a coaching standpoint to get better at. Especially since WM had their second unit in. Can they execute in the halfcourt etc. Plenty of stuff to do. Sometimes the other team is that bad and it's tough for a coach to hold the score down but there is a running clock so it's not as hard as it was last year.

If you are getting ready for the playoffs then you know there are teams that can run with you even out run you so sometimes you must be able to execute in the halfcourt.

Once again I think this is more on the coach than players. Those kids there are good kids, the coach could have taken control and had them work on other things. IMHO

How much of a point spread does it take in Basketball to start a running clock? The game should be stopped when it looks like this could happen. How much of a victory can You celebrate if You win by 92 points

I hope the Principal and AD were not at the game because they could and should have stopped that madness.

Where and when did I say I was in the army. The closest I have ever been to being in the army was driving by a base once.

Not that anyone cares but footballstar_17 I agree with you 100% on everything. My senior year of highschool my highschool football team got beat in the 3rd round of the playoffs 69-21 in football, and I was just as upset if we would have lost 21 to 20. I was starting middle linebacker and I didn't feel like they were running up the score on us. We just couldn't stop them and I didn't expect them to take a knee every play to not make the score look so bad. Everyone gets their buts whipped one time or another in something during their life and it doesn't make a difference weather its by 92 points or by 1 point it is still just as devastating to the players. For whoever said they taught their daughter who had open layups to pull the ball back and milk the clock I personally would never have my players do that. If I was on the other team I would be pissed off even more that they didn't take the layup. Whether you lose by 90 or by 30 in bball the other team had to know going in they didn't have a chance in hell at keeping the game close. And the players on the other team know what teams are doing when they milk the clock, its not like they think Oh we gave up 60 points in the 1st half, now they can't score boy we are really playing good defense now. I meen the coach played his scrubs the whole 2nd half, and they need gametime practice too because what if a starter goes down in the future, I sure as heck would never have my team milk the clock. Hats off to a west mongtomery coach for not doing the politically correct thing and footballstar_17 I got your back.

I have much less of a problem with the four points allowed than the 96 scored. Hard for me to ask a player not to play D but I will pack a zone and give them open shots but if they do not hit them they are on D. I am not going to have my team fast break but walk it up the court and run the offense. Just by doing that I would think the offensive output is much less.

Starters play first four minutes of the first and second quarter and may be the first two of the third. If I have 11th and 12th players I want them to play a lot and you know they are going to hustle.

Have been told by coaches from Albemarle and ones that watched the film in scouting them that Albemarle could have scored more in those football wins.

Actually KW everyone cares that is the beauty of a chat forum. Everyone gets the opportunity to voice an opinion and as we learned a long time ago an opinion can not be wrong it is just different from the opinion of others. In this case, there are even 2 people that pull for the same school with a different opinion. I personally believe that it is the responsibility of leaders of scholastic sports teams to make better citizens. Do you want to live in a society where the strong feel no responsibility to help take care of the weak? This is a first year charter that is trying to get a program started. The playing field is not level. The beloved school that we both pull for has had no less than 8 opportunities this year against opponents that they could have beaten by 60 plus points, but because their head coach is a gentleman, that never happened. Once it became obvious that the opponent was not capable, any and all pressing/traps were stopped. He went to zone defense which is far more friendly to the opponent and cleared his bench very early in the game. Coaches do have a responsibility to help protect the integrity of high school sports, and thankfully the head basketball coach is that caliber of man.

You used a football analogy earlier so I will try to do the same. When one football team is clearly superior to another and the game is decided by the score, it would be demeaning to take a knee but it is appropriate to clear your bench, stop blitzing, and quit throwing. You don't go for it on 4th down, and you clearly do not fake punts. The same thing is true in basketball. You quit pressing, you quit trapping, you go to a zone which will provide less opportunities for steals, you stop running and then you allow your reserves (please don't use the word scrubs unless you are referring to the clothes that surgeons wear) to play within that context. And you don't wait until you are ahead by 50 to make these changes. You make the changes early in the game when it is apparent that you are playing a team with no chance. The stats of some of your Alleghany Trojans have been affected considerably this year by the fact that they are coached by a gentleman, and that is simply the way it is supposed to be. If you coach long enough, you will have been on both sides of that equation, and I can assure you that every team that gave your kids the respect that they deserved will get the same back. Very poor choice of words in calling The Right Thing To Do the politically correct thing to do.

Common courtesy and treating others as you would have them treat you is what we are talking about, and no one said take a knee but you do need to quit throwing and you need to quit throwing early to use the football analogy again.

Well i would prefer a coach have a win no matter what mentality than be a gentlemen and makes the games look closer than they are. But maybe thats just my defensive mentality coming out of kill or be killed from back in the day. I think coaches should care about their team and their team only and i think milkin the clock hurts your team in long run because eventually u r goin to run into a team where u have to bring your a game the entire time. I meen when u get more out of a practice then milkin clock away for 2nd half of a game i think it hurts the team. Who cares about the other team they will get better orr get over it. But hey thats my opinion but we can agree on one thing go trojans big game tonight. Lol

Thank god you're not coaching at the high school level. These kids play only 8 minute quarters with a running clock at a 40 point lead so they were making every effort to score.

PS: my daughter learned a lot more by pulling the ball out than taking an easy layup in a blowout and she'd be the first one to tell you that. NEVER had opposing parents/fans/coach/player mad that we didn't run up the score on them.

Win and all cost mentality says quite a bit about a person.

hey man everyone has different opinions thats what makes the world go round. I will not raise my daughter to not take an easy layup just cause the other team sucks (unless her coach tells her not to), and I'm sure she will turn out just fine just like your daughter did.

I am a former college athlete, and former varsity HS head coach. I've been on both sides of a big loss or win. Every coach that ever mentored me and gave me advice told me to always show sportsmanship. The entire purpose of the NCHSAA is to show sportsmanship and to get these kids read for life. What message are coaches that blow teams out sending not only to their school, but to schools that they crush? What is the point of kicking someone when they are down? All it shows is the coaches, schools, and parents that condone that kind of behavior are only concerned with winning, and not the lesson HS athletics are set up to teach. People can comment and tell me I don't know what I'm saying, or that I am crazy and don't know HS sports. Until you are an Athletic Director or a HS head coach it's hard to argue my point. What life lesson comes from winning 96-4?

We could go on and on about this but it will never change. This is basketball. You play to win and you play harder to get noticed. Our girls play as a team and a damn good one. There is no need for ADULTS to come on here and comment about children. Really. Our coach stopped coaching and told the girls to pull back. 2nd stream was put in during the 1st quater. What did you want them to do? Sit down on the court. Our girls practice and fight to win every game just as the others do. It is not our fault or the coaches that some girls do not possess the skills that others do. Really the team is getting beat by everyone. This should motivate them to come back harder and play. This score is normal in AAU. He is a good coach and some of you are mad. This is a sport right? Stop with the mess. We tell them to be competitive, then when they are they are punished. I understand that some of you want your 15 seconds of fame. Get your coaching up, and just admit that we are a great team. I am almost ashamed of being an adult and reading this mess. They can come to West if they like and we will have a space for them on the team.

We could go on and on about this but it will never change. This is basketball. You play to win and you play harder to get noticed. Our girls play as a team and a damn good one. There is no need for ADULTS to come on here and comment about children. Really. Our coach stopped coaching and told the girls to pull back. 2nd stream was put in during the 1st quater. What did you want them to do? Sit down on the court. Our girls practice and fight to win every game just as the others do. It is not our fault or the coaches that some girls do not possess the skills that others do. Really the team is getting beat by everyone. This should motivate them to come back harder and play. This score is normal in AAU. He is a good coach and some of you are mad. This is a sport right? Stop with the mess. We tell them to be competitive, then when they are they are punished. I understand that some of you want your 15 seconds of fame. Get your coaching up, and just admit that we are a great team. I am almost ashamed of being an adult and reading this mess. They can come to West if they like and we will have a space for them on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT