ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
East Surry at West Wilkes

The Pilot Cards return to action last week proved to be an epic one for them as they just annihilated Forbush’s porous defense to an easy win at home. This week they take the long trek from Pilot down to Millers Creek to play West Wilkes who is a lot like Forbush but bigger and slower. This will be a good test for East to see if they can handle guys on the equal size chart and being ball controlled. That doesn’t happen very much.

West may be annoying for a little while but I just don’t see them hanging with East. East has too many athletes and size to match. West can’t handle athletes well and if your line is physical they will bend after a while.

MA at Elkin

Whoever designed Elkin’s schedule needs to be inspected.. What an awful setup they have. The Elks return home for homecoming with MA as the team to play. Oy vey.. Hard to find excitement there.

Alleghany at Starmount

The Rams return home with a challenge many would scoff at, but one they shouldn’t in Alleghany who is hanging in there despite a tough schedule and injury streak. Their record is very deceiving and the Rams are very susceptible to trap games as PL Prep showed earlier in the year. They played EW to the wire and exploited them a couple of weeks back which i’m sure the Rams coaches have studied on the film they’ve gotten. I think at the end of the day Starmount’s going to be too powerful to contain but Alleghany should make them earn it for a bit anyways. Alleghany’s just trying to stay healthy for the playoffs at this point.

Forbush at North Wilkes

After getting thumped by the Cards last week Forbush is again looking for some sort of life boat to save their season as they had to Hays to be Senior night for a very loaded NW team. The Vikes meanwhile are coming off a way too close affair with Surry Central last week where they let SC pass it down their throats all night and made a close game out of it on their homecoming, not anything to be proud of. The Vikes finally woke up in the last quarter but that’s not what a program should want at any point if they want to contend. This week they have a solid shot at redemption as they face a Forbush team who used to be what NW is now, Big and loves to run the ball. NW needs to step it up on defense in order to win these next two games and make a chance in the playoffs. However easier said than done. Forbush meanwhile needs a W to send the season on a good note. Not an easy draw moving forward. I just see NW’s RB having a better night than Forbush’s QB. The bush is still struggling to find some different playmakers and it might cost them late.

South Stokes at North Stokes

Ahh yes the old directional Stokes county game. This has been a truly back and forth rivalry the past few years and quietly a fun one. Diamond Dave’s always had the best luck against the Danbury Vikings and last year was one of his finest. Down a whopping 7-0 at the half South battled back to win 14-7 in an ugly game that showed that South wouldn’t be denied late in the year and it lead to a 3 game win streak and the 2nd round of the playoffs. This year again both teams come into this game beat up and down on the records. North is in their season finale before the bye next week, South meanwhile has Elkin left next week to end the season. Both badly need the win more for momentum sakes, I just think South’s the better team. North’s had # issues all year and still does, South meanwhile is trying to build up the junior class for next year. A win here will prop them into a better playoff spot but to get there they gotta win.

North Forsyth at West Stokes

The Wildcats have senior night tonight vs a stubborn conference foe North Forsyth who’s had some really hard fought games the past 3 years vs West dating back to the old WPAC. West played Reidsville well last week but shot theirselves in the foot when it mattered and you can’t do that vs the Rams. NF meanwhile drew a beat up North Surry team focusing on conference play on a short week and rolled to a win they badly needed after not doing so hot the previous few weeks.

This is a big matchup for both teams. West needs the W to maintain consistency and set in stone their playoff spot. NF meanwhile is either last team in or the first one out of the playoffs and they badly need that W to get in. A upset over West would prove super helpful in the longrun. Easier said than done though. West is a hard place to play always and NF struggles to maintain both consistency and offense. Until they get a grip on that side of the ball it will always be hard for them. A Taylor vs Williams matchup however is always fun. They both love to contest each other. NS beat NF in an upset last year as we just out coached him, and we did in the spring but NS was so beat up we couldn’t hang. If Williams is to do anything he has to shake off the troll on his shoulder and I’m still not sure he can do that year. NF is a very fast squad but West is fundamentally better when it matters. That is hard to beat.

Ashe County at South Caldwell

Another no pick matchup here. Ashe had a rough week last Friday vs Freedom as they proved to be too overwhelming for the Huskies. It doesn’t get any easier as they head to play South Caldwell this week. The Spartans are in a youth movement and have had many struggles this year as a majority of their wins have came against very bad teams in West Caldwell and Hickory Hawks, a private team. Needless to say they aren’t very impressive but they’ve played the bigger teams well to make up for it so it makes this one a very hard game to pick. I just plead the 5th here; an Ashe upset would make me very happy.

Morehead at Walkertown
Reidsville
at McMichael
Carver at MIC
Bishop at WS Prep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT