ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest 9 - Vance 7 ,, Final !!!

Wild finish! Watched it on TV. The first few minutes promised a high scoring game, being 7-7 very early, but then the defenses said no sir. Fitting that the defense made the winning score with less than a minute left. Defense wins championships, literally in this game.

The last few sequences from this game was crazy. From the botched snap, to the blocked kick, to the fumble in the end zone. Vance really shot themeselves in the foot tonight.

Both defenses were absolutely ruthless tonight. The BEST two defenses in the state (looking at you BG).

Wake's offense was able to run the ball with more success, but Vance was able to stop them petty well.

It's going to be hard for Vance to make it back to the championship next year based on who they have to play against. I fully expect Wake to be back here next year tho, undefeated.

Reactions: fooozzzballfan
Just watched this game. Vance started off well, 2nd play threw a bomb took 7-0 lead. Then the rest was totally a defensive battle. Huge mistake by Vance on special teams there at the end with the bad snap on the punt. Got lucky blocking that fg. But that fumble in the endzone done it. I dont know why you would call what looked like a read option play there. Good ball game though. Tough way for any team to lose!

crazy ending, vance tough break after the block kick ball went dead at the 1

snap the ball to the qb, if he cant get around the end then heave it.
high school qb and the lack of experience under center these days

Didn't see the game but what happened on the blocked kick?

Can't make mistakes like that vs a team like wake forest. Congrats WF

Tough break Cougs. Kids played their butts off. Gotta knock the champ out. Just couldnt land the big punch.

Now that the season is done I have to ask. Is Summerville hurt? Ankle maybe? I watched him the last 3 games and he never took off once. Several times tonight and in the MP game he had real estate to take off. They never ran zone read and had him keep it in 3 games. Brand tell him not to run?

Just an unfortunate snap on the punt put Vance in a bad Hole very late in the game,, Vance stopped Wake and then blocked the field goal attempt,, then fumbled on the next play in the End Zone for the Safety,, Kids played a Great game !!!

The last few sequences from this game was crazy. From the botched snap, to the blocked kick, to the fumble in the end zone. Vance really shot themeselves in the foot tonight.

Both defenses were absolutely ruthless tonight. The BEST two defenses in the state (looking at you BG).

Wake's offense was able to run the ball with more success, but Vance was able to stop them petty well.

It's going to be hard for Vance to make it back to the championship next year based on who they have to play against. I fully expect Wake to be back here next year tho, undefeated.

Don't think so. This is it for WF for a while. Lots of seniors and jv not too great. Richmond's jv's near WF jv's 41-18.

Don't think so. This is it for WF for a while. Lots of seniors and jv not too great. Richmond's jv's near WF jv's 41-18.

Hmm really? I'll have to look at it. Who do you think is up next in the east? I know Richmond looked really good this year, but they went west this year.

Just poor blocking by WF. 2 Vance players got through, one untouched up the middle.

Why did they start on the 1 after the block? I thought the rule was if blocked FG crosses line of scrimmage the team took over at spot of kick or the 20 if kick was inside the 20.

Couple pretty good ones tomm. Hell...had another one tonight in Weddington. Why dont we wait until tomm before we do " I told you so"

Basically the whole team is back especially on defense. Losing white jr the QB and no.6 but thats it basically.

Couple pretty good ones tomm. Hell...had another one tonight in Weddington. Why dont we wait until tomm before we do " I told you so"

Nothing else to prove. There is no other team that's playing right now that's putting the clamps on an offense such as Wake Forest like Vance did. Unfortunately for Vance, they ran into a defense that is as equally as good, if not better.

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
Nothing else to prove. There is no other team that's playing right now that's putting the clamps on an offense such as Wake Forest like Vance did. Unfortunately for Vance, they ran into a defense that is as equally as good, if not better.

The team that scored 27 tonight in the state final scored ZERO against Catholic. ZERO

Reactions: Crest9496
So now 3a doesnt count..How bout 4a?? That count? Catholic played two state title winners and gave up 6 pts.

Catholic played Christian who plays nobody! Christian schedule is a middle school level schedule (exaggerating, but its garbage), they almost lost to Providence Day for heavens sake. Christian hasn't proved anything to me. Their championship is worthless with the teams they have to play. It's embarrassing. Only reason why CC didn't win this game is because their offense is no where near as explosive as last year.

Weddington, while good, is not on the level of the top 3 teams in the I Meck. They aren't beating Hough, Vance, or Mallard Creek. They'd have a tough time against North Meck.

If we're just going by point CC gave up 24 to Marvin Ridge.

Edit: Christian's championship is not worthless. I take that back. But it's not even on the same level as Weddington's.

In the first half, Vance lined up to punt... 5 on line, 2 gunners on right....can’t see top gunner in the frame, but I’m assuming both are on, slot is covered. Wing on right, two up backs and punter....that’s 4 in the backfield. Timeout is called , wing moves over to left.... official on left side has wing off....still can’t see both gunners. Echols takes the snap and runs the fake for a TD. Official on left immediately drops flag at the snap and the call is not enough on the line. I’m still assuming both gunners were on...right side.....that’s 7 on line.

I have no horse in the race as far as who wins, but I just took notice because that’s the same punt formation we’ve been running for years and not many other teams do it.

Vance coaches didn’t appear to argue the call so there may have been something I couldn’t see on TV. I just know we would have lost our minds if the fake would have went for a TD and the refs made a bad call.

Why did they start on the 1 after the block? I thought the rule was if blocked FG crosses line of scrimmage the team took over at spot of kick or the 20 if kick was inside the 20.
Vance player jump on the ball after the block on the one yard line, if he would of left the ball alone it would of came out to the 20 yard line

Reactions: MilltownUSA
In the first half, Vance lined up to punt... 5 on line, 2 gunners on right....can’t see top gunner in the frame, but I’m assuming both are on, slot is covered. Wing on right, two up backs and punter....that’s 4 in the backfield. Timeout is called , wing moves over to left.... official on left side has wing off....still can’t see both gunners. Echols takes the snap and runs the fake for a TD. Official on left immediately drops flag at the snap and the call is not enough on the line. I’m still assuming both gunners were on...right side.....that’s 7 on line.

I have no horse in the race as far as who wins, but I just took notice because that’s the same punt formation we’ve been running for years and not many other teams do it.

Vance coaches didn’t appear to argue the call so there may have been something I couldn’t see on TV. I just know we would have lost our minds if the fake would have went for a TD and the refs made a bad call.

It was a lot of time left in the game so I'm assuming that's why the staff didn't get too upset. But yea, it seemed legit from my end.

Reactions: KM2ASU
Vance should have ran a QB sneak to run out the clock to send the game into ot. But hindsight is 20/20.

May be but the nose tackle was blowing them up. Think they were afraid he would push the much smaller (!) center back.

I dont know why you would call what looked like a read option play there. Good ball game though. Tough way for any team to lose!

It was a straight dive off tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT