ADVERTISEMENT

Understanding the new playoff

nightowl512

Nov 28, 2009
Bryson City, NC

Wish he had mention the issue of split conferences wether or not a team has to win the overall conference or just their classification to be seated with the overall conference champions. I was thinking you had to win the whole thing but I looked back at the old rules when still using MaxPreps and they just had to win their classification so I guess that's how it still is.
NCHSAA in their rules haven't been very clear on some of this they released a form on just the playoffs seeding which states that conference champions are seated first based on their RPI then everyone else but theie handbook states it like he does seating the second place teams in 7+ conference after them.
Highschool OT states...
"Reminder: second-place teams are seeded amongst the wild-cards. The only difference between these teams and the wild-cards is that their spot is automatic even if they have one of the lower RPI scores."

Last edited:
He wrote....
"Sadly it is also possible that there are schools who have no idea this is coming, because their Athletic Director and or their football coach doesn’t pay attention to the NCHSAA."
Isn't that part of their job especially the athletic director?

Reactions: Griddie
He wrote....
"Sadly it is also possible that there are schools who have no idea this is coming, because their Athletic Director and or their football coach doesn’t pay attention to the NCHSAA."
Isn't that part of their job especially the athletic director?
You would think. Personally I don’t mind this new system. I just wish they would reduce the rounds and go back to subdividing at least in 1A and 4A to equal our the enrollment disparity

You would think. Personally I don’t mind this new system. I just wish they would reduce the rounds and go back to subdividing at least in 1A and 4A to equal our the enrollment disparity
Not terrible, I would like to see a couple small tweaks. There should be a small benefit to playing up a classification even if you lose. Also I am not crazy about teams that don’t win conference outright seeded with outright winners. I understand they are at a disadvantage playing 2a teams but still don’t like the idea of them being seeded above the outright conference champs. Now I am fine with the being seeded after champs and before any 2nd place teams. This should still give them 1 maybe 2 home playoff games.

Last edited:
This system sucks.
If you lose to a 4a by 3 it's the same as losing by 30 to same 4a school
It doesn’t suck there is some tweaking they could do. Would you prefer the old bracket style? To me that sucked because you played the same teams for three rounds before playing anyone else.

dividing into 6A would still be more disparities. Just do the eight like we had and let the NCHSAA do the extra work. They are paid a LOT and more than enough to get it done for the kids and communities

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I agree with giving extra value for a smaller school playing a bigger one.
Example CO uses same the RPI system but if a smaller school beats a bigger one it counts more but only if they win. The bigger schools gets two exemptions playing smaller school though it does hurt them to play more then 1 class down even in with the exemption example a 4A play a 3A it's counts like playing another 4A but if they play a 2A it's counts like playing a 3A so for NC would change that and just give them two straight exemptions or they won't schedule a smaller school.
But they have a class value system...
1A....1.323
2A...1.521
3A...1.749
4A...2.011
They have a 5A.. but anyway so like Mitchell for example first 3 games were 3A win 4A lost 4A win...2-1 winning percentage of .667 under this system it would have been .95. NC can use a different value system and I wouldn't count wins over higher class in split conference not sure but I don't think CO has split conferences.

But I wouldn't use margin of victory I don't like running up scores on weaker team and it takes away from scheduling quality teams if margin of victory counts as much as strength of schedule.

Last edited:
Here's something that seems odd to me. NCHSAA realize on MaxPreps to report scores to them so they can do the RPI rating ( assuming they do it and not MaxPreps) and MaxPreps realize on the scores to be reported to them which is why RPI keep changing for a few days because some games aren't reported quickly.
But the thing is MaxPreps employees 65 people keeping up with every sport in every state. NCHSAA according to LinkedIn employee's 197 and they just have North Carolina so why can't they keep up with the scores themselves?

Here's something that seems odd to me. NCHSAA realize on MaxPreps to report scores to them so they can do the RPI rating ( assuming they do it and not MaxPreps) and MaxPreps realize on the scores to be reported to them which is why RPI keep changing for a few days because some games aren't reported quickly.
But the thing is MaxPreps employees 65 people keeping up with every sport in every state. NCHSAA according to LinkedIn employee's 197 and they just have North Carolina so why can't they keep up with the scores themselves?
Since Adams and Strunk left the NCHSAA has progressively gotten worse and worse on an annual basis, and that includes shirking responsibilities due to utter laziness, not just incompetence. Ridding of subdivisions is a prime example, including the way they got it done.

Wish he had mention the issue of split conferences wether or not a team has to win the overall conference or just their classification to be seated with the overall conference champions. I was thinking you had to win the whole thing but I looked back at the old rules when still using MaxPreps and they just had to win their classification so I guess that's how it still is.
NCHSAA in their rules haven't been very clear on some of this they released a form on just the playoffs seeding which states that conference champions are seated first based on their RPI then everyone else but theie handbook states it like he does seating the second place teams in 7+ conference after them.
Highschool OT states...
"Reminder: second-place teams are seeded amongst the wild-cards. The only difference between these teams and the wild-cards is that their spot is automatic even if they have one of the lower RPI scores."
for a split conference: to be seeded as a conference champion a team must finish 1,2,3 overall in conference and/or have a .500 overall win percentage. If neither of those happens highest finishing team in a given classification is seeded as a wild card.

for a split conference: to be seeded as a conference champion a team must finish 1,2,3 overall in conference and/or have a .500 overall win percentage. If neither of those happens highest finishing team in a given classification is seeded as a wild card.
Yeah I've read that even posted it, they also have a separate playoffs rules release
2021-2022 NCHSAA Team Sport
Contest Limitations, Playoff, and Seeding Format where this comes under automatic qualification so it wasn't clear as to if just pertains to meaning the highest finishing team in their classification (if they didn't win the overall conference) is just a automatic qualifier or if they are seated at the same as other overall conference champions.
But I read an article on the older playoff system when using MaxPreps instead of RPI and in it the highest finishing team in their class is seated with the overall champs so that probably hasn't changed.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT