ADVERTISEMENT

Tutf fields

Highschoolgridiron

Sep 10, 2018
Are any SMC schools considering switching to turf athletic fields? I believe that Cherokee and Hayesville already have.

I sure hope and dont believe that Murphy will ever switch to turf field. Most of kids I have talked to prefer grass.

I sure hope and dont believe that Murphy will ever switch to turf field. Most of kids I have talked to prefer grass.
Before they became more prevalent it was cool to say you played on turf. While the surfaces have improved over the years - most players would prefer to play on a well maintained grass field. That's the catch for schools with multiple sports teams, band, etc. using the same field, it usually pays to go with the artificial turf.

Before they became more prevalent it was cool to say you played on turf. While the surfaces have improved over the years - most players would prefer to play on a well maintained grass field. That's the catch for schools with multiple sports teams, band, etc. using the same field, it usually pays to go with the artificial turf.
Yea we got to practice on one once and we thought it was big time back in the day, of course it was more like carpet back then. They look cool from the stands and I get the durability quality. The two biggest downsides for me personally is the heat off of the rubber fields in the summer. Murphy youth league wears black on black jerseys and pants. You can feel the heat coming off those fields in the summer/fall like an oven. It makes it rough on the kids on days like that. Then I also think the risk for injury is worse on the turf fields. We lost a kid at WCU stadium playing Pisgah in 17 for a big part of the season with an ankle injury. I personally think the injury would not have been as severe on grass. Sometimes too much grip is a bad thing. But to each school their own. I dont believe it will ever be a problem at Murphy.

The big trick is trying to save up enough money to put it in (800,000+) and then knowing that it doesn’t last forever. So you’d be needing to replace it in a little over a decade.

If you’re worried about losing 3,000 bucks of gate by not getting a home game (see the Asheville newspaper article about Murphy’s legitimate scheduling difficulties, there is absolutely no way that this is an affordable option.

My opinion is that its no big loss. Grass is better.

Reactions: GreyGod623
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT