ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscola season outlook

nueman

Oct 6, 2001
any info on what’s expected from the mountaineers this season?

Interesting Misinterpretation, I admire you homerism. They will have a great line, but if the offensive play calling was like last year, the worst offense in Tuscola history, I do not see much great out of this team. They should have never dropped Coach Pursley's triple option. That was completely stupid. Guaranteed points in high school games. As much as improved as the defense was last year, they would have won two to three more games with the triple option. I didn't see to much out of this coaching staff that makes me think they are remotely ready for the big time, especially on the offensive side of the ball. When you have marginal athletes you need great Coaches like Pursley and Keifer. The players played hard, but the decision making on the sidelines was suspect. Running off your best assistant and only person with any big time playing experience at the upper level is horrible too. But it is all OK, as long as Old Red's .500 brigade is back in charge, because after all, "They are from around here." The boys club is back together again. 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 at best, and Chappell will beat the brakes off them again. They just want it more in Canton. Haywood County football on the West side, due to an influx of non-natives, is glorified TC Roberson now, without the athletes. But all the Tuscola fans can hope the spiraling of the "Tuscola way" is not all but dead now.

Mighty grim outlook Mr. Rulz's. I hate that you are not as optimistic as I am. I understand that Coach Keifer and Pursley are tremendous coaches with tons of success. That I agree with you on. However, that garaunteed offense that you speak of...where was that against Pisgah. Even though I am no football expert, Pursley did not base his offense around the triple option. Tuscola was more of a belly/down series based team with the triple as merely a constraint play. But, who am I? I was also told that "the best assistant coach" resigned and was in no way forced out. As far as this season, I believe Tuscola will be far superior to Pisgah up front. It will be a tough game for certain, but I believe this is the year.

I personally think Tuscola will finish second in the conference this season. I look for this to be a big season for the Mountaineers.

Tuscola lost to Acr, Asheville, and Erwin by a combined 117-6 last year. Count me in the I’ll have to see it to believe it category.

Will they even have a coaching staff by the time the season starts? Dropping like flies from the other sports

ehsw02,
I thought we were discussing this season, not last. We will see. I don't think Erwin will enjoy what they are going to encounter this fall with the Mountaineers. They don't seem to like facing ground n' pound offenses.

Reactions: THESAVIORS
ehsw02,
I thought we were discussing this season, not last. We will see. I don't think Erwin will enjoy what they are going to encounter this fall with the Mountaineers. They don't seem to like facing ground n' pound offenses.

Erwin beat Tuscola 43-0. Forgive me for thinking that means the Mounties will be irrelevant this year as well.

Apology accepted. I will apologize in advance for what our Mountaineers are going to do to your mighty warriors this fall.

Apology accepted. I will apologize in advance for what our Mountaineers are going to do to your mighty warriors this fall.
Look man.. No one wants a great season more than me . But making callouts this early is foolish. Do the talking on the field.Actions and points speak louder than words ever will. For what its worth i hope you are right. But one game at a time.

I know your reservations and a little hesitant to say anything at this point. This staff and these players are built for this. They have been through the fire and steadfast when so many have turned their backs on them. They have paid their dues in and out of season, put in time while people like us sit around and wait on football season. They are killing themselves to represent a community that will bolt the first sign of hardship. I'm sorry I have more faith in them than you do. The difference in myself and you is that if we fall on hard times, I won't start cyring, complaining, and calling for eveyones head. I don't think it will be an easy season, but this is a seasoned senior laden team. Sit tight, be cautious, and play it safe 91. I stand by my predictions!

Dont question my faith in the team. And i dont sit idle and wait for season to come. I am active and volunteer .And as i said i hope you are right. Other than that one misspeak your post is spot on.

No need. You guys deserve to score at least a point against Erwin.

Maybe the schools attorney will send Erwin a letter begging to let Tuscola score.

Lol. That was a good one. On a serious note, you guys think you will finish in the top 4? Let me make this clear...In the conference.

I honestly have no clue of what to expect, I am hoping for some improvements now they are into the second year with a new system, either way I will support them as I have every year.

Reactions: 91ths
Gracious 02 Erwin wins a few games against Tuscola and now yall think you are world beaters. Historically Tuscola has beat the shit out of Erwin for years.....

Reactions: footsoldier
Heelz, Erwins days are numbered. Too much turmoil, lack of trust, and deception in house. Their first 5 games are going to be brutal. They lost key coaches that were extremely vital to the offensive and defensive side of the ball. You don' t just replace a coach Sexton and coach Tarr. That is just naming a couple. It should be very interesting!

Reactions: heelzfor2
Gracious 02 Erwin wins a few games against Tuscola and now yall think you are world beaters. Historically Tuscola has beat the shit out of Erwin for years.....

Historically Tuscola was actually relevant, but this isn’t 1970 anymore. Also gone are the days of Erwin going 0-11, or 1-10. Erwin has been a doormat in the past, but that’s changed over the last decade.

Heelz, Erwins days are numbered. Too much turmoil, lack of trust, and deception in house. Their first 5 games are going to be brutal. They lost key coaches that were extremely vital to the offensive and defensive side of the ball. You don' t just replace a coach Sexton and coach Tarr. That is just naming a couple. It should be very interesting!

I’ll give you Tarr. He is an outstanding offensive mind, and played a gigantic role in the success at Erwin over the past decade. On the other hand it hasn’t been completely due to the coaching staff as to why Erwin has been successful. Players like Garrett and Austin Brown, Shaquan Curenton, Martese Jackson, Damien Ferguson, and on and on have been the reason for Erwin’s success.

I lost respect for Sexton when he didn’t open the job to outside candidates and hired his buddy. Simple as that.

There is a reason when we play teams with similar or better athleticism we struggle. The advantage Erwin has is they out athlete a lot of their opponents. Simply get the ball in space and move the ball down the field. I’m not going to talk down the staff, but in my opinion I would say the jimmys and joes have played a larger role than the x’s and o’s.

erwin has athletes that can play period. i cant say at this point but tuscola will have to play their best to beat erwin .just my opinion

Erwin has way too much talent for anyone to predict a victory this early, and I understand they’ve replaced the vacancies with some good coaches. Tuscola will be somewhere in the middle of the pack, definitely not top 2. I’m still shaking my head for Tuscola letting Coach Sexton go, and I’m not at all surprised with what’s going on now on the hill. The Waynesville elite and school board have exactly who they want in at AD, all in the name of politics and the buddy system. The new AD and principal will and are dragging Tuscola athletics (and academics) into the ground. If I were a coach there, I’d be looking for a new job, especially if I weren’t Tuscola alumni. This is excruciating for me to see, especially being a graduate and former athlete there. The players loved and looked up to Coach Chambers, and no one bled Black and Gold more then he did. He brought more then football knowledge to the school. Reap what you sow Tuscola!

Erwin has way too much talent for anyone to predict a victory this early, and I understand they’ve replaced the vacancies with some good coaches. Tuscola will be somewhere in the middle of the pack, definitely not top 2. I’m still shaking my head for Tuscola letting Coach Sexton go, and I’m not at all surprised with what’s going on now on the hill. The Waynesville elite and school board have exactly who they want in at AD, all in the name of politics and the buddy system. The new AD and principal will and are dragging Tuscola athletics (and academics) into the ground. If I were a coach there, I’d be looking for a new job, especially if I weren’t Tuscola alumni. This is excruciating for me to see, especially being a graduate and former athlete there. The players loved and looked up to Coach Chambers, and no one bled Black and Gold more then he did. He brought more then football knowledge to the school. Reap what you sow Tuscola!
Coach Chambers? Austin? Where did he go?

Coach Chambers? Austin? Where did he go?
The principal took away his afternoon weight class and gave it to his buddy, the new athletic director. This, along with all the other BS, he left. The way I understand it, morale is at an all time low there. The girls basketball coach resigned (former AD) and the girls soccer coach, too. A long time PE teacher and assistant coach was also moved from Tuscola to North Canton to make room for the new AD in the PE department. The way I understand it, she was a Pisgah graduate.

Last edited:

Correct. The AD has come a long way since pounding Pursley on this message board after getting canned. Don't worry, Pisgah doesn't have to worry about Tuscola. They can kill the program on their on with nepotism. They put the .500 Ol' Red gang back together. It is fairly evident they will never learn and the School Board, who is in love with Canton, gives them the rope to hang themselves. Can you blame them?

Slider, your post is spot on except for one item. The Waynesville elite (nor most anyone else) is not excited about the new AD. Most of the community is shaking their heads about this. The principal should be embarrassed but he evidently does not know enough to realize what he has done or he just does not care. IMO. two of the last three principals at Tuscola have been horrible but the Board of Education is fine with promoting their buddies at the expense of the kids. Hate to see it.

Best guess, but I would say reality and shinetime never graced the field of battle for Tuscola. They probably were track all americans like our other super hero's on here. You guys keep bringing up "good ole boy system", but the reality is that it's just not "your boys" in there. Jealousy would be my guess, because you guys are probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Our current principal and newly crowned AD are Tuscola people. They want it to be great. They want individuals, if possible, that are from here. People who bleed black and gold. Why would you not support them instead of bashing them? Ahh...Idiots! I forgot who I was speaking about. The only time you guys support are when you know for CERTAIN we will be great. Then your "chest thumpers"! Well I'm telling you right now, we are going to be really good this fall. Get on board while were still loading the train, or go to the other side of the county!

Misrepresentation wasn’t chambers a (Tuscola Guy) ? Who the kids absolutely loved ! Your argument holds no merit . You are in the clique and anyone who disagrees is not . To much going on at the the hill for the Mounties to have as good a season as you predict . I guess this makes me an idiot to but on the other hand this makes you the resident HOMER !

I'm certainly not in the clique as you say. I just disagree with pansy's like you. I do not necessarily like the coaches on the hill, but I do believe they are working hard to improve our football program. Coach Chambers was probably at best an adequate coach. I'm not sure why everyone believes he was so "loved" as you say. Good try dad!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT