ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers

Coaches leave, principals leave, teachers leave, math students leave, band students leave, science Olympiad students leave. Band students transfer all the time. When Mr. Jones left Harding students left and the band fell off. When Dr. Gray left WC students left. WM band director is leaving and some of those students are going to WC. Hopewell gets a bunch of band transfers. Northwest school of Arts gets dance, band, and oratory transfers also.

3 of the largest HS in NC are Myers Park, Ardrey Kell, and SM. All over 3k. They are locked for transfers, but get residency/home school moves yearly. They just happen to be 3 of the best academic schools in the state. So parents are moving to them for academics but no one cares. They only fuss when its football and basketball players moving. If moves are made legally and are legit have no issue. If its falsified or games played they should be punished.
I used to argue this exact same point for years but think we have reached a tipping point. Are there legit reasons to transfer? Sure....but we have moved way past that now. Parents are now moving kids not because of opportunity but as away to handle grievances and in many cases because of their own egos. Lots of unintended consequences filter through and I continue to see it grow now in the workplace.

On a personal note I have found it to make HS sports far less enjoyable. No doubt I have become the old guy " get off my lawn" dude.

Nothing can be done now as it is just evolution but it just sort of sad.

I used to argue this exact same point for years but think we have reached a tipping point. Are there legit reasons to transfer? Sure....but we have moved way past that now. Parents are now moving kids not because of opportunity but as away to handle grievances and in many cases because of their own egos. Lots of unintended consequences filter through and I continue to see it grow now in the workplace.

On a personal note I have found it to make HS sports far less enjoyable. No doubt I have become the old guy " get off my lawn" dude.

Nothing can be done now as it is just evolution but it just sort of sad.
The root of the issue is our love for football, a more selfish society, and how football was marketed in its onset. Football was marketed as a team game. Hard nosed, no Is, and you play through pain, and just do what the coach says. The powers that be profited off of this mantra to the detriment to the player. Just look at the NFL and how they hid concussions, CTE and had non guaranteed contracts. If a player got out of line they could be immediately cut. Players played through pain routinely. Some of the 60s through early 90s football even at the HS level would be outlawed now. It took over 100 years of college football for players to be legally compensated. Football was basically legalized slavery if we are honest.

-Now that society has changed to an I society at the same time players/ parents get more freedom and coaches are adjusting it has created this selfish space where folks only care about themselves and who gets offers. They will leave a program in minute to try and find a better situation. Instead of the new coach saying stay over there they welcome the problem parent. Combine this with the health aspect of the game and we may not have football as we know it in 30 years.

The root of the issue is our love for football, a more selfish society, and how football was marketed in its onset. Football was marketed as a team game. Hard nosed, no Is, and you play through pain, and just do what the coach says. The powers that be profited off of this mantra to the detriment to the player. Just look at the NFL and how they hid concussions, CTE and had non guaranteed contracts. If a player got out of line they could be immediately cut. Players played through pain routinely. Some of the 60s through early 90s football even at the HS level would be outlawed now. It took over 100 years of college football for players to be legally compensated. Football was basically legalized slavery if we are honest.

-Now that society has changed to an I society at the same time players/ parents get more freedom and coaches are adjusting it has created this selfish space where folks only care about themselves and who gets offers. They will leave a program in minute to try and find a better situation. Instead of the new coach saying stay over there they welcome the problem parent. Combine this with the health aspect of the game and we may not have football as we know it in 30 years.
Grew up on the Southside of Chicago not far from where the Butkus family lived. Alot of those early 70s Bear players tended bar or worked other gigs during the summer. Unreal to think of now.

It's the evolution of the culture. Not just sports. I'm not surprised at the trickle down affect. But your right...I was a huge HS sports fan for 30 + years. Still have an interest but not nearly at the same level.

Grew up on the Southside of Chicago not far from where the Butkus family lived. Alot of those early 70s Bear players tended bar or worked other gigs during the summer. Unreal to think of now.
A friend (former ACC hoopster) grew up in Baltimore. His father played in the NBA in the 1950-60's and had an insurance business. Practiced early morning or late evening at an armory. They lived in a regular neighborhood of medium priced houses. Neighbor was Alan Ameche, Heisman and long time NFLer. When he and his beauty queen wife moved in my friend told me several of the Colts helped them with the appliances. He and his father walked over to help and Johnny Unitas was wearing shorts and a plain white tshirt with hard soled black dress shoes while putting tile down in the bathroom. At the time Unitas was the top QB in the NFL. Unreal.

Haven’t heard much on Chambers and we usually do. How are they looking for next season? Any key additions or subtractions?
Has the competitive landscape shifted such that another program close by now has the top players, or will Chambers continue to have the upper hand in terms of the caliber of transfer athletes joining the program next season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT