ADVERTISEMENT

Turf

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Multiple schools this yr are getting turf ! Western NC is becoming turf heavy

Starmount , Forbush, Wilkes Central, East Wilkes , West Wilkes , North Wilkes , East Surry , Surry Central and North Surry and Alexander Central

Looks like Elkin is only one in that area that isn’t getting turf and also Stokes co isn’t either but I’m sure that may come sooner or later

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
All of them are the results of NC Legislator getting government money to pay for them. No school system is paying a dime.

That government money probably should have been allocated better for school systems.

Real slap in the face to the people in the building to see the conditions of some buildings and the terrible teacher pay but turn around to see a state senator or representative patting themselves on the back for getting money for the turf while in the same breath talking crap about teachers.

Priorities

That government money probably should have been allocated better for school systems.

Real slap in the face to the people in the building to see the conditions of some buildings and the terrible teacher pay but turn around to see a state senator or representative patting themselves on the back for getting money for the turf while in the same breath talking crap about teachers.

Priorities
Or giving a new school such as Oak Grove money that they didn’t ask for to spend on athletics. By far the newest school and best facilities in Davidson County. Pork barrel.

Forest Hills is suppose to be getting a turf field also but Forest Hills is also getting an entirely new high school built behind the old high school. From what I was told there will be enough money left in the school construction to put the turf field in.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
This very easily could give school districts that pay football coaches 11 and 12 months the justification to cut them back 11 or 10 month employees with the argument they no longer have a field to take care of. Other coaches usually aren't paid for workouts over the summer so the argument could be why should football coaches? Maybe it's a reach but as charters and privates poach funds from LEAs, LEAs will be looking for more ways to pinch pennies.

Reactions: heelzfor2
Because of the unusual arrangement in Thomasville with the city owning and maintaining the field, I don’t ever see Cushwa having a turf field. Doesn’t make economic sense.
With City having resources and $ and such - If they have a very good crew that works on that field then keep it grass!

It’s all bout $ ; resources and do u have the crew to up hold a quality football field.

With City having resources and $ and such - If they have a very good crew that works on that field then keep it grass!

It’s all bout $ ; resources and do u have the crew to up hold a quality football field.
I don’t know why this happens repeatedly. But I just typed a long explanation of the relationship between the city and the school system and how the schools get such a sweet deal with Cushwa.
As has happened many times, as soon as I was ready to post, it disappeared.
Suffice it to say that the taxpayers of Thomasville, many of whom are in the Ledford and East Davidson districts, shouldn’t have to pay for turf at Cushwa. And even if the state pays, ten years later the city tax payer replaces it.
The time is coming when TCS will need to find a way to either buy Cushwa or build their own field. The 1983 freeze on school district lines keeps on giving.

I don’t know why this happens repeatedly. But I just typed a long explanation of the relationship between the city and the school system and how the schools get such a sweet deal with Cushwa.
As has happened many times, as soon as I was ready to post, it disappeared.
Suffice it to say that the taxpayers of Thomasville, many of whom are in the Ledford and East Davidson districts, shouldn’t have to pay for turf at Cushwa. And even if the state pays, ten years later the city tax payer replaces it.
The time is coming when TCS will need to find a way to either buy Cushwa or build their own field. The 1983 freeze on school district lines keeps on giving.
I don’t understand this response- I’m replying to you saying you hope they don’t ever get turf and all I said What I said

Maintenance and $ is key n that’s what they have so turf isn’t need when u have that

W
I don’t understand this response- I’m replying to you saying you hope they don’t ever get turf and all I said What I said

Maintenance and $ is key n that’s what they have so turf isn’t need when u have that
Wasn’t directing that at your comment. I agree. What I was trying to say is that the city of Thomasville already spends three times as much annually on maintenance as the schools pay in rent. That’s not sustainable now that there are more Thomasville taxpayers who live inside the city but outside the school district than those who live in the district.
That number above doesn’t include the $300k spent this year by the city on new lights. Or the $500k it will take to put in new bleachers on the visitors’ side where the concrete is crumbling.
Eventually the Thomasville City Schools will need their own stadium.
Sorry if that sounded like I was disagreeing. It’s just a lot more complicated than for most schools.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996

Disagree.....You need a good reel mower, an aerator or access to one, irrigation, some fertilizer and a coach willing to put in time. The last one of those variables is lacking with a lot of young coaches today.

I would add that the ability to apply some pre-emergence grass and weed control also helps. If the school doesn't have someone with the proper licenses or they lack the equipment to put it out a contract for those services is not unreasonable.

I think 10 years from now when the injuries have piled up and these fields start having to be replaced we will look back on the trend and realize it wasn't in the best interest of the players. I also agree with the Shelby poster. I used to know a coach who would say; tis good to be around when the grass is brown.

Finally, tax payer money for this purpose is why many in Raleigh should be voted out.

Disagree.....You need a good reel mower, an aerator or access to one, irrigation, some fertilizer and a coach willing to put in time. The last one of those variables is lacking with a lot of young coaches today.

I would add that the ability to apply some pre-emergence grass and weed control also helps. If the school doesn't have someone with the proper licenses or they lack the equipment to put it out a contract for those services is not unreasonable.

I think 10 years from now when the injuries have piled up and these fields start having to be replaced we will look back on the trend and realize it wasn't in the best interest of the players. I also agree with the Shelby poster. I used to know a coach who would say; tis good to be around when the grass is brown.

Finally, tax payer money for this purpose is why many in Raleigh should be voted out.
If it ran by the city they have more resources then a school does. So I can understand why Most schools prefer turf

W

Wasn’t directing that at your comment. I agree. What I was trying to say is that the city of Thomasville already spends three times as much annually on maintenance as the schools pay in rent. That’s not sustainable now that there are more Thomasville taxpayers who live inside the city but outside the school district than those who live in the district.
That number above doesn’t include the $300k spent this year by the city on new lights. Or the $500k it will take to put in new bleachers on the visitors’ side where the concrete is crumbling.
Eventually the Thomasville City Schools will need their own stadium.
Sorry if that sounded like I was disagreeing. It’s just a lot more complicated than for most schools.
Oh ok I follow u now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT