ADVERTISEMENT

Turf

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Multiple schools this yr are getting turf ! Western NC is becoming turf heavy

Starmount , Forbush, Wilkes Central, East Wilkes , West Wilkes , North Wilkes , East Surry , Surry Central and North Surry and Alexander Central

Looks like Elkin is only one in that area that isn’t getting turf and also Stokes co isn’t either but I’m sure that may come sooner or later

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Haven't had a chance to step out on NS's yet but they did a heck of a killer job with it. We went with the company who installed North Iredell's field and they did a heck of job on it, super fast too. I followed it daily from start to end. SC's is being worked on now along with East's.

Elkin I feel for but honestly given their history of bad flooding it might not would be a great idea to give them turf. Just asking for a bad flood and them losing it all. A few years back they had to play around because they got flooded really bad during the season. Stokes County wise they have a different State Senator from us so it's up to whoever that is to give them the grant.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Any word on when South Iredell will get turf since North Iredell got their’s last year.

New Hanover Co will be replacing Laneys field with turf this year. then Ashley next year and Hoggard in 2026.
I heard that the BOE voted againts the Item #. However they are going to pay their share to re-turf Legion Stadium.

The turf at Legion Stadium in Wilmington was installed for the 2011 season. After 13 seasons, the field has out served it’s projected 10 year life expectancy. The field is hard and needs replacement.

It is way past time for all New Hanover County public high schools to have turf fields. For such an affluent county, the athletic facilities for not only schools but general recreation as well (except for Empie Park which is outstanding) are noticeably inferior to many less affluent counties.

I prefer grass as well but I get it. Take a school like Hoggard, they are usually good in football and get 1 or 2 home playoff games. Hoggard also goes deep into the playoffs in mens and women’s soccer as well as men’s lacrosse . By the end of the year their field is toast. Last year they never really recovered and by the end of football season the field looked as bad as I have ever seen it.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I prefer grass as well but I get it. Take a school like Hoggard, they are usually good in football and get 1 or 2 home playoff games. Hoggard also goes deep into the playoffs in mens and women’s soccer as well as men’s lacrosse . By the end of the year their field is toast. Last year they never really recovered and by the end of football season the field looked as bad as I have ever seen it.
Page putting down a turf field was a no brainer. With Football (V & JV), Soccer (M & W V & JV), Lacrosse (M & W V & JV), Field Hockey (V & JV), the middle schools also using the field for football, as well as it hosting numerous other events (like the Shrine Bowl Coaches Combine back in April) and being used as a public/community field. It was usually a mud bowl by late September.

Last edited:
Reactions: portcity FB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT