ADVERTISEMENT

To schedule or not to schedule?

recycled2

Feb 15, 2012
Please consider this:

In each playoff bracket teams will be seeded by place in conference finish (1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on number of teams in conference) and then within that group by overall record. I have noticed several teams such as East Cateret, Avery and others, schedule tough nonconference opponents. this results in more losses which means a lower playoff seed and potential traveling in the 2nd or 3rd rounds as opposed to hosting playoff games.

Should a coach schedule to get better or schedule weaker opponents to get a better seed in the playoffs?

Should the state for seeding purposes only consider 1A games and not punish teams playing up one or more divisions? I favor this approach. Should East, Prep or Avery receive a lower seed for playing 3A or higher teams? I think not, seeds should only be based on playing 1A teams. With this teams are free to schedule who they want to develop their teams without running the risk of getting a lower seed as the result. You could even stipulate that teams must play at least 10 games vs 1A teams, most if not all do this.

What are your feelings on the subject?

I see your points but still think that a team is better off scheduling a tough out of conference schedule. A team like Hayesville or Avery might sacrifice a 3rd round home game this year by playing the schedules they did, but will be a lot better prepared for the type of competition they'll see in that 3rd round game. Plus the state has built in some protection on the issue by seeding based on a 22-game record, which allows some losses to be dropped (assuming you play a full schedule). I guess the best approach is to play a 24-game schedule with 2 or 3 really tough out of conference games, so that your kids get a taste of what that kind of competition looks like but it doesn't affect their 22-game record for seeding purposes. With that being said, I kind of prefer the old method with the preset brackets based solely on conference finish rather than overall record.

I agree, I don't think you can ever worry about seed when you are scheduling. Your team will always improve with scheduling tougher games regardless if you win or lose. Plus on a 23 game schedule you can drop 1 non conference loss anyway.

This is an interesting topic and one that I've given some thought to this year because of the removal of the pod system in the 1A.

Will teams with a strong pool of talent in a given season knowingly schedule pitiful games out of conference to avoid potentially having to make lengthy road trips in the early rounds of the state playoffs?

As an example, would a rural school like Cherokee or HD, who I assume would prefer not to have to spend the money for travel, try and avoid a possible road game at Bishop by scheduling weak in the non conference knowing they had good teams this year?

Disclaimer: I'm not accusing either of them of that, it's just a good example because of the distance involved.

Lord have mercy on whoever draws Hiawassee Dam. That will be the longest trip of your life!

lord our basketball team played there and it took forever. the saying murphy to manteo well they forgot Hiw Dam cause is another 30 min past murphy and no cell phone service. I thought i was at the end of the world.

Originally posted by gal durnit:
Lord have mercy on whoever draws Hiawassee Dam. That will be the longest trip of your life!
It's not the end of the world...but you can see it from there.

Just imagine going to Robbinsville on Tuesday, Mt Airy on Thursday and HD on Saturday. Travel like that means probably no chance of winning. It can happen.

I am like O&R, I still like the old brackets where you know who you play and when.

Lol it's not that bad coming to HD just think of all the beautiful scenery you get to see plus all that quality time with the wife

Cherokee not scheduling many cupcakes. Beat 4A Reynolds, 2A East Rutherford, 2A Franklin. And a couple of bigger schools in the Gatlinburg Christmas tournament! Heck, about everybody Cherokee plays conf. or non-conf. Is bigger than the Braves!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT