ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville's Quanny Johnson

ocdavis31

Nov 9, 2013
Shaquan (Quanny) Johnson, Thomasville's all- everything athlete from 2011-12, died recently in an automobile accident. Quanny led the state in rushing in 2011 with over three thousand yards his senior year. He, along with Todd Gurley, were the Preps 2A all-state running backs. He was the player of the year in the Central Carolinas Conference and in Davidson County. Quanny was also named the male athlete of the year in Davidson County for his success in three sports. He played in the East-West all star game.
Prayers lifted for his family and friends. Another young life lost way too soon.

Reactions: 7heels
Sorry for yall's lost prayers to the Thomasville community...hate hearing news like this

Deepest sympathy to Mr.Johnson, his family and the Thomasville community.
He was a workhorse back for a program that required so much from anyone holding the position he held...I’ve wondered how someone conditioned themselves both mentally and physically to carry the ball time after time and taking so many
hits. I know the Bulldog family will remember his efforts and will miss him.
God bless.

Deepest sympathy to Mr.Johnson, his family and the Thomasville community.
He was a workhorse back for a program that required so much from anyone holding the position he held...I’ve wondered how someone conditioned themselves both mentally and physically to carry the ball time after time and taking so many
hits. I know the Bulldog family will remember his efforts and will miss him.
God bless.
Thanks, Lincolnton.
You’re right about the demands on the position in the Bulldog system. You may remember that, the year after Quanny, Gabe Brockett also led NC in rushing with over 3500 yards. Some say it’s the system, and with that many carries, you should get the yards. My viewpoint is that you have to be a spectacular athlete to gain that many yards and stay healthy when everybody in the stadium knows who is going to get the ball.

OC, you’re right, my friend. To hold that position would require athleticism and so very much conditioning. I sat there, at Thomasville, in 2012 and watched Gabe Brockett run through and over and around us, and thought, where do they get these backs that can carry the ball so many times and take so much.
Not many can do what they among other powerful Thomasville backs could do. Besides being athletic and conditioned it would require a coach who knew how to train someone for it and the rigors the position required, which they certainly had.

Last edited:
Thomasville has had some impressive high school running backs! Regardless of the system and / or the team it still takes a very talented back to put up huge numbers.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Thomasville has had some impressive high school running backs! Regardless of the system and / or the team it still takes a very talented back to put up huge numbers.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Bulldogs had some very good linemen during that time. Frank Ingram was a road grader who also made all-state. Jordan Hagens was very talented as well. Having a Hall of Fame coach certainly helped. What may be most impressive is that these numbers were attained while having one of the toughest schedules in the state, and moving deep into the playoffs despite a losing non-conference schedule.

Reactions: ITJ
Thomasville's line play was my personal inspiration for what I wanted to do growing up wanting to coach.

Not to take away from Lincolnton that year, and they were much better than us. But Quanny had a really bad ankle injury that game. He actually played through it for many games before that, but by the Lincolnton game it was really bad. I remember meeting him Thanksgiving morning for the ice bucket therapy. I have never had a player put his foot in that thing, never flinch and carry on a normal conversation with me like Quanny did that morning. He was one tough kid!!!!

Reactions: ocdavis31 and ITJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT