ADVERTISEMENT

The truth about Albemarle!!!! Northeastern cometdogs

gradepro

Nov 16, 2013
No more bulldog football and although they will play on the comets field no more comet football. A new school name and new mascot is the reality. Looks like the comet sidelines are gonna have some new faces, and my bulldog buddies are gonna be applying for memberships to the GradePro skybox, donated by someone who wishes to remain anonymous. Taking nominations for new mascot. Go 8 in the state swimming championships this weekend

Well it looks like my bulldogs and myself may be a thing of the past at about the same time. I only made 3 games this past year and my bulldog buddy bluebones only made 1. Time age and health problems have taken us about out of the mix. Also my wife has had multiple strokes and I am her caregiver. Doing all I can to keep her out of a nursing home. Anyway I followed the dogs this past year mainly on nc preps. Bluebones and I have enjoyed following the bulldogs for the last 20 or so years and have seen the best of times together. However if this all comes to pass I will follow the new cometdogs or whatever the hell they will be called with great interest. Looks like my football days will have to be lived through nc preps. Anyway thanks for the invite gradepro and wish your son the best in the states. Go Dogs

When will all this go down. How many more seasons do i get to hate the old albemarle football.

The word on the street is that your albemarlle hating days are over, because when kids go back in the fall is when changes will take place

The school name should be "North Albemarle". And a Bulldog as the mascot.

KW, your days of hating Albemarle are over. I know your tickled to death and saying Karma's a "You know what". But we will walk away with 5 state Championship's that we brought to "Back Water" Stanly County, and "Our Kids/Athletes" will be working on a sixth at "Pee Body" North Stanly.

If We don't realign again till 2017, the Team should better on both sides. We will have numbers. I'm being positive. I know the Students don't want to lose AHS and I have to be in Their corner now. The route is going, if You can't beat em, join em

And still 2nd in the conference.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Sorry guys, I had to do it.

I still can not wrap my head around this as being even a remote possibility. Wow, times, they are a'changin'. If it happens in Stanly County, it can happen anywhere and everywhere.

Funny I was speaking to somebody last night about the realignment and from what I understand there are 3 options and one makes no sense but I am still finding out info on all three. The first one is easy the last two I didn't quite understand need more info.

1) 7 team conference - south Davidson, West Mont, East mont, AHS, NS, SS, CC all in one conference ** this is based on AHS still being around
2) essentially upping the #'s in 1a where you would have North Rowan back in our conference as well as some other schools
3) we would have or be joining a conference with other charters including some out of gaston county.

Like I said I know option 1 still finding more info on the other two.

The truth...word is that North will look for a new coach. (That solves the issue with other coaches in the county being displaced with the closing of Albemarle. They can just slide down the hill to NS.) I like the idea of Albemarle kids playing home games at NS. THEY'VE NEVER LOST ON THAT GRASS.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The real truth... Sell some popcorn...attend the BOE meeting tonight. Can you say July 4th? There will be more shouting at board meetings over the next few months than there was when the squirrel went berserk in the Mississippi First Self-Righteous Church.
devil.r191677.gif
Gonna be some angry folks either way.

For all intelligence...there is counter-intelligence. This war has just begun. I expect things to be tabled and a number of community forums to be planned. You bake a ham, and I'll fix the tater salad.

There are 2 petitions on facebook to "stop this madness". I would encourage everyone to please sign them and also to attend the board meeting tonight. Make this board and the commissioners listen to the people!!!!!!!!!

"Women on the town council? In Mayberry? NEVER."
wink.r191677.gif
The times...they be a'changing. This board will be hard to influence.

You know that the Home side at North is always full at HomeGames. Imagine seating hundreds more. They need to break ground if this comes about.

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
And still 2nd in the conference.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Sorry guys, I had to do it.
Probably. North will have more overall talent but WM will have a HUGE advantage in coaching until Eddins gets enticed to find greener pastures!

TW

IF they merge...Northern Stalbemarle will become a large 2A. (Could the numbers push both WS and NA to small 3A?) I can see the merged schools playing Central Cab. and West Rowan. Ouch....

The numbers I seen was 1100 to WS and 900 to NS leftover balance of kids to the magnet. 1100 is 3a I believe and 900 is large 2a.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
Funny I was speaking to somebody last night about the realignment and from what I understand there are 3 options and one makes no sense but I am still finding out info on all three. The first one is easy the last two I didn't quite understand need more info.

1) 7 team conference - south Davidson, West Mont, East mont, AHS, NS, SS, CC all in one conference ** this is based on AHS still being around
2) essentially upping the #'s in 1a where you would have North Rowan back in our conference as well as some other schools
3) we would have or be joining a conference with other charters including some out of gaston county.

Like I said I know option 1 still finding more info on the other two.
I doubt number three. When a lot of charters get in a conference the problem is non conference scheduling for football. Same thing was in place this realignment but it was changed before the final plan.

The numbers I seen was 1100 to WS and 900 to NS leftover balance of kids to the magnet. 1100 is 3a I believe and 900 is large 2a.
The numbers for Albemarle and South total 900 or very close to it. North 590 and West 820 for a total of 1,410.

The NCHSAA is doing the conference / classification realignments now. They will take information from Stanly County Schools, which will be estimates, to determine the placements of schools. Cabarrus County gave the NCHSAA info with Mount Pleasant being redistricted taking students from Central Cabarrus which put them up to 3A numbers for the 2009 realignment. The redistricting did not happen and MP ended up 3A with 2A numbers.

My point is that Stanly County will provide the NCHSAA with the estimates which I expect will come from the numbers being used for this. With 570 at Albemarle, which we all question, that should be a big positive in realignment for the "new" schools. Take 570 from the 900 and you are dispersing 330 students net (some of these are actually West and North students). Where will they go is the question? If North gets 200 they are at 780 and West goes to 950 with the remaining. Once again still too many questions to make a determination about this but the NCHSAA will be basing their plans on two districted schools and the magnet or three districted high schools which disperses a net of 470 which I expect will be almost exclusively sent to North and South. As I have written if South gets their students from southeast Albemarle and remains at 1A numbers they are state title contender in football, basketball, and track right away. Baseball has been very strong and should only get better.

The new names will be the Consolidators for NE and the Annexers for SW.

AHS is already a state contender in those sports. I can see clearly you are a favorite of the closure of AHS. I'm sorry this is a political strong arm because the county is upset like you stated previously about not getting more money. They are going after the city school with the most diversity and under priviledged kids. If you are around this community you can clearly see they are not for this they don't want it period. Consolidated schools as shown time and time again does not work in small communities.

Most of the Young People have stated on the petitions that They want to finish High School at Albemarle. When it comes down to it They should have a voice in this.

OK I will say it its just a legal way to desegregate the school system looks like to me

@FOOT, if Albemarle does close (In which we will get more answers tonight), NS + ALB = Total Domination of West Montgomery
smokin.r191677.gif

People, People, People. I wouldn't buy to much into what this idiot board has proposed. Even if they close down Albemarle this year....when votes come back around, then vote their arses out, clean up the mess, and let's see where we stand. "Together We Stand, Divided We Fall".

I will not be able to make it tonight, but I have faith that parents, students, alumni....hell the "Community" will divert the absurd proposition.

As far as this being a way to desegregated, I'm not sure JS. I not aware of the ratio between the schools, but this could be possibly true.

I want the best for the students honestly. But when it comes to politics, they can be on fire and I wouldn't throw a water balloon at them....

AHS is already a state contender in those sports. I can see clearly you are a favorite of the closure of AHS. I'm sorry this is a political strong arm because the county is upset like you stated previously about not getting more money. They are going after the city school with the most diversity and under priviledged kids. If you are around this community you can clearly see they are not for this they don't want it period. Consolidated schools as shown time and time again does not work in small communities.
Acutally you are incorrect. I would prefer for something to be done to keep it open. My biggest reason for posting here is to counter point false information being put out. I have did it with western Stanly people in the past also.

I am not a supporter of closing Albemarle nor South closing based on a personal preference but I do think within five years both schools will have less students than they do today and I think we will see continued academic and budget struggles. My concern is if nothing is done soon we may be in a much worse situation. Our biggest hope is an economic boom to bolster the incoming tax dollars but it is questionable if that will be seen.

I would prefer for something to be done to keep it open. I have always pushed for a complete redistricting. In the past when Albemarle's district expanded slightly it never went toward the western end of the county. I know from your post in the SNAP and here you think Albemarle's district has shrunk geographically which is incorrect but the enrollment has dropped drastically in all four schools for various reasons.

AHS is already a state contender in those sports.
Obviously but South is not. Based on where I would expect the lines to be drawn I do not see North being a state contender in those sports. Personally, I do not think any school decisions should be made based on athletics. Sports should be a part of the school but not a determining basis.

Doesn't South have 4 state baseball titles and a softball state title? Maybe for west and north but when you have a lot of kids getting athletic scholarships unless you are willing to fork uponey for their college it should be a factor.

The only schools on the county to not win anything in regards to state titles in west and north correct?

Doesn't South have 4 state baseball titles and a softball state title? Maybe for west and north but when you have a lot of kids getting athletic scholarships unless you are willing to fork uponey for their college it should be a factor.

The only schools on the county to not win anything in regards to state titles in west and north correct?
South has three baseball titles all in the last five seasons. South won a softball title in the late 1990's and another three years ago. West Stanly won a softball title two years ago. Both have had very strong softball programs for a long time. Stanly and surrounding areas have strong fast pitch.

Albemarle has been strong in football winning several titles since dropping to 1A. Very impressive 15 years. Also won two girls track title in the 1980's and a golf title in the late 1990's. The wrestling team won at least one state title and like the football program set some team and individual national records. Albemarle no longer fields a wrestling program.

Greystone won a state title in women's cross country a few years ago.

I think all the schools have probably had individual state champions in some sports although not sure about that.

Maybe for west and north but when you have a lot of kids getting athletic scholarships unless you are willing to fork uponey for their college it should be a factor.
I have been involved with a lot of student/athletes that have went to college on athletic scholarships. Often the scholarship is very little athletic with a lot of money coming from other sources within the school the athlete could get as non athlete student if they got in the school. The athletic grants for all men's sports have been cut severely to meet Title 9 requirements especially at football playing schools and more so D1A/D1AA due to the number of scholarships allowed.

One of the strengths of App State's football program when they were winning D1AA titles was using grants for out of state players and using partials or no athletic grant for in state kids. They had it down to science on how to use 50 some scholarships. On the contrary had one I am close to that went to a D2 school and did not pay a penny to attend and got Pell Grant money to himself.

There are two numbers that I would be interested in. One is how many students from Albemarle received athletic scholarhips and two is what was the percentage of the athletic money as compared to full tuition, room, and board. Kudos to you for getting some of your players to schools where they are taken care of. For too long Albemarle did not do very well with girls sports.

One thing I think we will both agree on that is very bothersome is when you have a D1A/FBS football recruit cannot get into a D1 school due to academics. It is happening again right now.

Originally posted by gradepro:
North stanly won a state title in soccer in 1993
My bad. Should have remembered that one. My apologies to Ben Parry who set the state record for goals scored that season and went on to an strong career at UNCC.

So, just wondering out loud. What becomes of the nicest Football facility in the county? Surely, it won't just sit in neglect, not being used and eventually waste away.

You just answered your own question, abiggdogg. It will sit in neglect, not being used and waste away. This board doesn't give a crap about athletelic's. Now is that sad or what!!!!!!!!!

To all concerned. The're's a good article on the board meeting last night on facebook that came from the Snap on line. It's a good place to make comments as a lot of people are on facebook and don't read nc preps. I posted a comment and urge everyone that is on facebook to do the same. Just remember the sqeaking wheel always get's the grease!

Hey Deana. You have got to be loving all the activity Albemarle is giving preps in the off season. Makes me sick to even think about it. Afraid the outcome will not be to my liking. Good luck to your rams in bb. We may hook up again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT