ADVERTISEMENT

Texas HS vs. NCAA Bowl Attendance

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
@MaxPreps
The Texas HSFB State Championships have attracted larger crowds than the majority of the NCAA College Football Bowl Games
1f632.png
High school sports >

DwAAegfUUAAulGP.jpg

For one, bowl games are terrible. Expand the playoff and kill some of those bowl games.

Second, NC just doesn't have the support like a state like Texas does. We like football, they breathe football. It's their life and blood.

This is neat... but it is kind of apples to oranges. Bowl games aren’t all that exciting. I don’t begrudge the players who miss to prepare for the NFL, but no matter how you slice it, it takes away from the fans’ experience. Toss in many bowl teams having to chase their team to a neutral sight 500+ miles away on a weekday or during the Christmas Holiday... its a recipe for mediocre attendance.

I saw an overhead shot of the Gator Bowl crowd. They might have sold 38,000 tickets, but I bet there weren’t 30,000 in the stands. It was sparse.

This is neat... but it is kind of apples to oranges. Bowl games aren’t all that exciting. I don’t begrudge the players who miss to prepare for the NFL, but no matter how you slice it, it takes away from the fans’ experience. Toss in many bowl teams having to chase their team to a neutral sight 500+ miles away on a weekday or during the Christmas Holiday... its a recipe for mediocre attendance.

I saw an overhead shot of the Gator Bowl crowd. They might have sold 38,000 tickets, but I bet there weren’t 30,000 in the stands. It was sparse.

The few times have been twenty plus years ago it was packed.

FBS bowl system is obsolete - it has served its purpose and run its course. It is time to expand the playoffs and make the National Championship something that's earned on the field. FCS, D2, and D3 all determine their National Champions this way - as do HS and ALL professional leagues. It's time for the NCAA D1 bowl ($,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.¢¢) monopoly to be restructured. Most of the bowl games sucked anyway; most of them are also meaningless.

You cannot compare bowls to this. This is basically a local drive. Yes it might be a couple of hours. But if a team like Wake Forest is playing in Orlando, how many students are many that trip? My wife wanted to go to Disney World and I did not want to make that trip. A Friday night in a Texas stadium is better than most Saturday stadium in many FBS and FCS stadiums during the year. And until lately the weightrooms and facilities were better!!!

Reactions: PrepFanNC
The few times have been twenty plus years ago it was packed.

I’d agree with that. 20 years ago. I went to the 1995 Peach Bowl and it was packed. No longer. I don’t blame the players for sitting out, but it weakens the game in many ways.
I really think that people know what the deal is. They know that a playoff can/would work. It’s been working in so many other levels of football (literally every other level).

I like a field of 8.. but go ahead and make it 16 so no one can possibly be left out (when is #17 going to be capable of winning it all anyway?). Allow any and all other teams to have a bowl... 6-6, 7-5... hell, 3-9... I don’t care. But we’ll all have something to watch and be excited about watching with a playoff.

Reactions: StallionSWO1
If they go to eight they should drop the conference title games. I am not in favor of 16 but I do like eight!

Think 8 is the number and agree with the conf title games. Do not think the group of 5 should get an automatic. I think in some years you would get a legit UCF team but in others you could get a 3 lossTemple if your not careful..Also think they need to clean up some of the scheduling disparity.

You cannot compare bowls to this. This is basically a local drive. Yes it might be a couple of hours. But if a team like Wake Forest is playing in Orlando, how many students are many that trip? My wife wanted to go to Disney World and I did not want to make that trip. A Friday night in a Texas stadium is better than most Saturday stadium in many FBS and FCS stadiums during the year. And until lately the weightrooms and facilities were better!!!

Alot of Texas schools also play on Saturdays during the regular season(not every Saturday but 2-3) duringn the season

Power 5 conference winners should get automatic bids, then 3 at large. Gives the little conferences a chance too, though they probably want 16 so that every conference winner would get an auto bid...

For one, bowl games are terrible. Expand the playoff and kill some of those bowl games.

Second, NC just doesn't have the support like a state like Texas does. We like football, they breathe football. It's their life and blood.
No one has support like Texas does, it's on another level out there, even schools that are awful draw big numbers and have state of the art facilities.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Go to 16 teams, drop one non conference game.Drop conference championships games, and take the winners of each division as long as they have above a 70% over all winning percentage.
The teams this year would include in no particular order:
1. UCF
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. OKLAHOMA
5. UBA
6. BUFFALO
7. BOISE STATE
8. FRESNO STATE
9. WASHINGTON
10. GEORGIA
11. FLORIDA
12. ALABAMA
13. APP. STATE
14. NOTRE DAME - WILD CARD
15. TEXAS A/M - WILD CARD
16. LSU

Go to 16 teams, drop one non conference game.Drop conference championships games, and take the winners of each division as long as they have above a 70% over all winning percentage.
1. UCF
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. OKLAHOMA
5. UBA
6. BUFFALO
7. BOISE STATE
8. FRESNO STATE
9. WASHINGTON
10. GEORGIA
11. FLORIDA
12. ALABAMA
13. APP. STATE
16. LSU
What constitutes a “division”?

1. UCF
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. OKLAHOMA
5. UBA
6. BUFFALO
7. BOISE STATE
8. FRESNO STATE
9. WASHINGTON
10. GEORGIA
11. FLORIDA
12. ALABAMA
13. APP. STATE
16. LSU

No reason for half of those teams to be considered.

1. UCF
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. OKLAHOMA
5. UBA
6. BUFFALO
7. BOISE STATE
8. FRESNO STATE
9. WASHINGTON
10. GEORGIA
11. FLORIDA
12. ALABAMA
13. APP. STATE
16. LSU

I will pass.

You want schools to give up a game.
Conferences to give up a title game.
I am guessing this would make the bowl games even less important with less participation because you are going to get a skeleton team from any losers here.

Who is UBA? I’d be better with the teams actually ranked in the top 20. Putting a MAC team or a second rate conference is pointless. A 70 point loss in the playoffs.

Alot of Texas schools also play on Saturdays during the regular season(not every Saturday but 2-3) duringn the season

This is not even a little true. I moved from NC to TX in 2003 and have lived in 2 different towns where I have avidly supported the local football teams attending 95% of the games. There has never once been a Saturday regular season game for either team but numerous Thursday night

I just really have a problem with the term "meaningless game". If somebody is keeping score then the game has meaning. It may be "meaningless" to us know it all spectators and draft gurus but tell the winners and losers of those games that they were "meaningless". I saw the same excitement from LSU and OSU players from winning "meaningless" games as i did from the Clemson players last night. Tell Benny Snell the RB from Kentucky congratulations for playing and winning such a "meaningless game". Don't undermine or belittle the efforts of these players and coaches by labeling the extra game they are awarded as "meaningless". I do agree the system is outdated and needs to be revised but truthfully the games are not for us the games are to reward the players and staff on a successful season.

I think 2 other things that have not been mentioned effect bowl attendance : 1) bowls used to be conference affiliated so people would make plans in advance knowing that even if their team didn't make it they could support the conference of their team. 2) media coverage- all games are national games now as opposed to regional. Why pay and deal with the logistics of going to the game that is a thousand miles away when you have a better seat at home?

And one more thing, since i am on my soapbox, what is the point of Trevor Lawrence ever playing another snap? If he is already projected to be a number 1 pick then aren't the rest of his games at Clemson meaningless?

This is not even a little true. I moved from NC to TX in 2003 and have lived in 2 different towns where I have avidly supported the local football teams attending 95% of the games. There has never once been a Saturday regular season game for either team but numerous Thursday night

Just because it's not true where YOU moved to does not mean it's not true. I watched 2 high school football games on 2 different Saturdays in the HOUSTON area. Look at the schedules before you accuse someone of lying.
Sounds like you're on drugs.

In Texas, specifically the Houston area, a lack of referees has caused games to be moved to days other than Friday. Some schools that use a multi school district central stadium often play Thursdays.

Reactions: Chopper747
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT