ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount @ Mount Airy

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
Next Friday 3 and 2 Starmount coming to Wallace Shelton Stadium. Bears' are 5 and 1. All three losses are to 2A schools with both losing to East Surry. Mt Airy was back to near full strength but had 2 injuries last night. Not sure how bad but neither player came back to the game last night.
Both Bears and Rams are putting up big numbers on the scoreboard. I actually was surprised at how fast and how quickly Mt Airy scored against South Stokes. They actually looked good in warmups and appeared to have some pretty good looking athletes. However, they did learn real quick the dangers of trying to pass on the Bears. First play of game was a good looking pass that Mt Airy picked off and took to the house.
Starmount has put 65, 59 and 34 points on the board in 3 of their last 4 games. I have no doubt Coach Grinton will have them ready to go flat out against the Bears next Friday.
I think this game will tell everybody a lot about Mt Airy's defense and are they ready to make a deep run in the playoffs, given that they stay healthy.

Mt. Airy by 30+ easily. Rams will play a lil better Defense than EW...but after seeing them(rams) against ES i'm not sold on the whole physicality thing. The Rams have a great back with tons of durability..but you will have to be able to stop Mt.Airy as they will be able to score at will. 52 14 MA.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Mount Airy 40+. Dezern will get the same treatment he did at PLP. Starmount may get a good start defensively but I don't see their offense keeping the defense off the field.

Last edited:
Mount Airy is a good football team. They will not be tested again until at least the 3rd round of the playoffs. They are just going through the motions. Anyone want to prove me wrong?

MA has improved every week. So sinse Ashe they have played hard and definitely not just going through the motions. Improving every week something they haven't done in a while. Coach Adkins and his staff are doing better job and working well together. I like what I see. 2 injured kids from what I. Hearing not as bad as thought will return soon.

MA has improved every week. So sinse Ashe they have played hard and definitely not just going through the motions. Improving every week something they haven't done in a while. Coach Adkins and his staff are doing better job and working well together. I like what I see. 2 injured kids from what I. Hearing not as bad as thought will return soon.
I was giving them a compliment. They are that good and they should coast through the rest of the season if they just play fundamental football. As I said, it will probably be the 3rd round of the playoffs before they have to compete.

I was giving them a compliment. They are that good and they should coast through the rest of the season if they just play fundamental football. As I said, it will probably be the 3rd round of the playoffs before they have to compete.
Hope everyone is wrong. The rams have two losses to two undefeated 2A teams, Starmount is talented just not a lot of depth but can put a pretty solid 11 on the field at one time. Ma is Ma it’s rare to see a team with the athletes they have play as physical as they do. Hope to see a good game Friday night will not only be good for both teams but also for the overall respect level of the conference

Seems this game is kinda flying under the radar figured there would be more chatter, I guess everyone assumes it will be a MA blowout

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
I agree with the reasons for the lack of chatter. And while Mt Airy should run and run and run, Starmount can be a surprising team, in either direction. But then, so can Mt Airy but to a lesser degree. It has been said on here by others, that Mt Airy can look like they are not in the game and then score 3 TDs on three plays three possessions. And my goodness they have a lot of players with a lot of speed.

Also, as someone else has previously said, the conference needs two or three other teams to step up and play well so the conference can get some of its reputation back. Not sure that position is completely fair but it is a position that is out there.

Reactions: buzzcoach
The JV football game with Mt. Airy is TENTATIVELY scheduled for Friday at 6pm at Starmount. We will make a decision by 2pm on Friday as it will depend on the weather conditions.

Why have they removed the varsity game from the NFHS Network? It was showing forThursday and now it is not. Does anyone know?

Starmount Middle beat Mt Airy in season opener…that team has a little of everything…keep eyes on them

That's right. They did. Lot of Mount airy boys playing rec ball though. I'd be a lot more scared of Mount airy. Their little 6th and 7th grade team is very good. I've gotten to see them play a few times. Let's turn out it's going to have some players coming. Stormount is two that should be a heck of a few years.

Sorry for posting this off topic. Got a question for you MA guys, how close is MA’s city limit to the VA border going up 52? Thanks

Probably so you have to buy a ticket. They should get rid of NFHS
I am sorry you feel that way about the NFHS network. It works well for someone handicapped and can’t make the game. We can still listen to the radio to hear it, although it is nice to use both simultaneously.

Reactions: sbbbfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT