ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount Head Football Coach (Updated 5-15; Greg Lloyd hired)

Sandy Grinton record at North Iredell was 13-30. North Iredell is not a powerful 3A program and its a tough place to coach. Its pretty much parents and poltics that run the program. Grinton just hasn't had alot of talent to work with. For the past several years Starmount talent has been down

2012 1-10
2013 3-7
2014 6-5
2015 3-8

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Sandy Grinton record at North Iredell was 13-30. North Iredell is not a powerful 3A program and its a tough place to coach. Its pretty much parents and poltics that run the program. Grinton just hasn't had alot of talent to work with. For the past several years Starmount talent has been down

2012 1-10
2013 3-7
2014 6-5
2015 3-8
That's a damn good point man You're right. But they've had middle school teams that have supposedly been great just like their JV team this year. Now I don't think we got to play them at East but they got handled pretty good by Mount airy and they had a bunch of kids playing varsity from that JV team that didn't play. They have got to get some people in there that are going to want to get in the weight room. Get those kids running. And build it from the ground up. I know we have great middle school coaches Mount airy has great middle school coaches. I'm assuming Starmount has some good ones too. Just seems to me when they come out they definitely pass the eye test. But when they get on the field they last about a quarter. Again somebody really good

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I think he's done a great job. I don't think the last 4 or 5 years have been very good. But he really hasn't had very much talent. Regardless of what people say. They've got some size. But not that much speed. Making themselves a one-man show the last 2 years I think was a terrible decision. Yes they were good for a quarter quarter and a half against good teams but once they shut that one player down it was over. I don't think that this is a desirable job. I think if a guy went in there like a BW. And told everybody to get lost that he didn't give a crap what they were going to put their kid or where they wanted to play their kid or if they wanted to transfer or whatever. And they would give him this person three or four years. Then I think he could possibly have a good team. But right now it's become like a Wilkes county School. Where your dad knows best. But really he don't know squat. They need to get rid of that first. Sandy is a first class individual. Regardless of what you think about is choices in his personal life. He cared about the kids he worked his ass off to try to help them and he taught them a lot. I don't think you'll find many kids that graduated or that played for him that won't say the same thing. I have a few that I know that think the world of him.
Over 25 applicants and it’s been posted two days
That's a damn good point man You're right. But they've had middle school teams that have supposedly been great just like their JV team this year. Now I don't think we got to play them at East but they got handled pretty good by Mount airy and they had a bunch of kids playing varsity from that JV team that didn't play. They have got to get some people in there that are going to want to get in the weight room. Get those kids running. And build it from the ground up. I know we have great middle school coaches Mount airy has great middle school coaches. I'm assuming Starmount has some good ones too. Just seems to me when they come out they definitely pass the eye test. But when they get on the field they last about a quarter. Again somebody really good
STM has been very good at the middle school the past 5-6 years even beating Pilot middle a few of those years “little boaz” years. The good MA kids in school right now were just as good then as they are now and was one of the few teams to beat STarmount in middle school those years. Then four of the kids that were very good on those middle school teams transferred to Reagan, which hurt sandy alot especially at the quarterback position. Not making excuses because Starmount still had good players however the offseason training has been very sub par the past five years and it shows. Starmount will always have enough skill to finish second in the conference with not much struggle but they have failed to get over the hump. And by the hump I mean beating the MA’s and East surrys of the world. Not fair at all to put all of that on Sandy due to those two programs being at an all time high the past five years however Starmount has had more talent than their record has shown of late. Just getting that talent to put in the work all year long and every single Friday night has been tough. I will miss Sandy a lot, I just hope he can get his mind and heart right again. Being a football coach is tough and even tougher at a school like starmount that has high expectations year in and out.

Over 25 applicants and it’s been posted two days

STM has been very good at the middle school the past 5-6 years even beating Pilot middle a few of those years “little boaz” years. The good MA kids in school right now were just as good then as they are now and was one of the few teams to beat STarmount in middle school those years. Then four of the kids that were very good on those middle school teams transferred to Reagan, which hurt sandy alot especially at the quarterback position. Not making excuses because Starmount still had good players however the offseason training has been very sub par the past five years and it shows. Starmount will always have enough skill to finish second in the conference with not much struggle but they have failed to get over the hump. And by the hump I mean beating the MA’s and East surrys of the world. Not fair at all to put all of that on Sandy due to those two programs being at an all time high the past five years however Starmount has had more talent than their record has shown of late. Just getting that talent to put in the work all year long and every single Friday night has been tough. I will miss Sandy a lot, I just hope he can get his mind and heart right again. Being a football coach is tough and even tougher at a school like starmount that has high expectations year in and out.
Well said

I’m hearing that Starmount is hoping to name a new head coach mid-May.

The plan was to keep it open to applicants for 2 weeks. Next Tuesday should be 2 weeks.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Those are called rumors? That’s why I said earlier, we just stick to documented facts.
I enjoy this board and I understand what you are trying to say but stating that "we just stick to documented facts" is laughable. The majority of the board (and some of the best threads ever) is based on rumors - and the fact that sometimes those rumors turn out to be correct.

I enjoy this board and I understand what you are trying to say but stating that "we just stick to documented facts" is laughable. The majority of the board (and some of the best threads ever) is based on rumors - and the fact that sometimes those rumors turn out to be correct.
I know exactly what you are saying., but when we start stating that a coach, teacher or administrator has been fired. I want to see it officially. He stated the person has been fired.

Are we talking about the principal or the coach or are there transgressions tied together?
Did the principal fire the coach and the coach tell it all? Who knows all in a situation like this? The athletes don't deserve this.... I hope the naming of the new coach ends this.
Deana loves Starmount and I think she would make a great principal if she could do that and NCPreps together. The kids would love her and listen to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
To the rumors above if that were the case I would think the NCHSAA and local authorities would be involved and they haven’t.

I don’t like the fact that a good personal friend of mine is being attacked by rumors. I’d be careful what I say on here.

Starmount has a new principal in Jonathan Frasher and he is working really hard. There are some exciting days ahead for the Rams.
Every school has some type of issue in their past. Starmount is moving on in a great direction.

I would advise to stay on topic about the coaching search. Interviews will be around May 2 and a head coach should be named around mid-May.

To the rumors above if that were the case I would think the NCHSAA and local authorities would be involved and they haven’t.

I don’t like the fact that a good personal friend of mine is being attacked by rumors. I’d be careful what I say on here.

Starmount has a new principal in Jonathan Frasher and he is working really hard. There are some exciting days ahead for the Rams.
Every school has some type of issue in their past. Starmount is moving on in a great direction.

I would advise to stay on topic about the coaching search. Interviews will be around May 2 and a head coach should be named around mid-May.
It's nice we got that mess straightened out ! Thank you, Deana.

BW could make the program better just by sitting in a golf cart at the 20 yard line. Kids loved playing for him.
Ha yes. You got a bunch of good coaches living in that area don't you. Grissom still there. Haire still lives there. They'd probably start out with a slew of transfers on the wussy rule if those guys teamed up. But boy would they get better haha

Last edited:
I was told he wasn’t interested in playing at the next level. Three Rams are going to Greensboro College this fall: Steven Sullivan, Alex Mora, and Xavier King.

This is job is a 12-month paid position. I’ve been told several coaches have inquired and find that lucrative.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
This is job is a 12-month paid position. I’ve been told several coaches have inquired and find that lucrative.
That benefit makes the job very lucrative. I know for sure that Guilford, Forsyth and Davidson counties do not pay but for football season.

Sure he did he's looking for his next talent ride it won't come for two three years though granite city got that covered
Yeah but we have some good kids coming up. I hope he stays. Not a big fan of how he was hired but not sure we would of done as well with Dave

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT