ADVERTISEMENT

Southeast Halifax (8-1) @ Wilson Prep (8-1)

HowerinJr

Jan 9, 2010
So I had to choose between driving 1:30 to Plymouth and watch Tarboro end another game early against Washington County or attend the biggest game in the 1A east at Wilson Prep for the Tar-Roanoke conference championship. So I can listen to Tarboro on 98.5 and I will get home a lot quicker if I don’t leave the Wilson city limits, so that solves that.

I’ll be giving updates along the way. I want to see if either of these teams has any hope beyond the first couple of rounds in the playoffs.

I will point out, if your team ends up playing at Wilson Prep during the playoffs, the visitors seating might hold 60 fans if they are skinny.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
Wilson Prep stopped SE three and out. The Trojans gave up 40 yards but eventually stopped the Tigers 20 yards away. Most of the 1Q is gone. No score.

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
Trojans get their initial first down of the game with the help of a pass interference penalty. Wilson Prep’s DL has a size advantage over the SE O Line and their triple option has struggled for any push up front. 0-0 end of one.

The Trojans manage to flip the field with a huge 35-yd pass play. They are getting little to nothing on the ground though.

Wilson Prep’s option offense looks like the same play over and over, like a good boxer’s jab. They just put the Trojan defense to sleep defending that play and then they had a wide open 50-yd pass play…dropped. Yikes. Missed opportunity. Still no score.

First turnover of the game goes to the Tigers. Flips the field on the Trojans and puts their backs against the wall.

Touchdown for Wilson Prep on a 1-yd dive off the left side. 8-0 Tigers. 1:47 (2).

WPA on offense finds so many ways to shoot themselves in the foot. They really seem to need their defense to give them the short field so they have any chance to score. Halftime and the Tigers lead 8-0.

Back to hostilities in the 3rd. WPA procedure penalties kill their first drive. Big 30 yard punt return by the Trojans has them hovering just outside the red zone to start their first drive of the half.

Trojans score a TD on a 4-yd QB sneak. SE gained about 15 yards on the drive on QB sneaks. WPA slides a nose guard over center on the 2-pt conversion and it doesn’t matter. We are tied at 8-8, 6:34 (3).

WPA takes the next drive down for a TD. The Tigers overcame several penalties and a 4th and 11 along the way. WPA 16, SE Halifax 8. 3:05 (3).

WPA gets the ball back. Familiar sight, offense walking backward followed by an official withe the football. This team would be better if they could line up and clean up the silly stuff.

WPA gets the ball back. Familiar sight, offense walking backward followed by an official withe the football. This team would be better if they could line up and clean up the silly stuff.
And they overcome it…long TD run puts more points up for WPA. Two point conversion…offensive holding penalty…overcome that by SE giving them a face mask penalty right back. 24-8, WPA, 8:01 (4).

Turnover by the Trojans. Tigers run the recovery back all the way, but there’s a penalty. It gets called back. This is just silly.

After the turnover, WPA will punt the ball away on 4th and 35. Oops, make that 4th and 40 on a delay of game. Up 16 though and the Trojans haven’t been able to get much done at all tonight. I don’t think this one is in doubt.

WP 24, SE Halifax 8. Final.

The Tigers really need to be more disciplined in the playoffs. Way too many silly penalties, unsportsmanlike, delay of game, false starts, holding, illegal forward pass. If there was a rule about it, I think they got flagged for it at least once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT