ADVERTISEMENT

South Stanly HFC Vacancy

Seems like odd timing. I understand last year was difficult but based on the other recent thread sounded like things were trending in the right direction.

The switch is late in the year, but the right coach can make a turnaround. The schedule looks tough. Getting kids to buy in on a new face may be easy looking at the numbers returning. Well, I wish the past coach good luck. I am sure both sides are relieved after folding up last year.

The switch is late in the year, but the right coach can make a turnaround. The schedule looks tough. Getting kids to buy in on a new face may be easy looking at the numbers returning. Well, I wish the past coach good luck. I am sure both sides are relieved after folding up last year.
Where did the coach go?

Reactions: MagisterO
Is there a young coach out there who can make this program better? I like what South Davidson did with hiring a young coach. Honeycutt got them excited and was competitive in the first year.

Reactions: davisdorm
Is there a young coach out there who can make this program better? I like what South Davidson did with hiring a young coach. Honeycutt got them excited and was competitive in the first year.
In Stanly County the coach will need to fill a vacant teaching slot. Several years ago they put an emphasis on coaches that taught math.

In Stanly County the coach will need to fill a vacant teaching slot. Several years ago they put an emphasis on coaches that taught math.
Lot of those floating around looking for football jobs.
But a Winston-Salem school just filled their head job with a math teacher. Only position they had open

Last edited:
South I would assume would have the potential to be good as they are in area by their lonesome and so I think if u get your community kids to buy in , the community and get kids to possible transfer in then I think south could do well. They do have a tough schedule and Idk how good the facilities , admin support n all that but if they are decent then a Good young smart coach could do well there.

They need like a coach Minor or Byrd or something like that to come in n change the dynamics and culture

Teaching opportunities may be available. Send resumes to Athletic Director-Sean Whitley to sean.whitley@stanlycountyschools.org

The posted ad said teaching slots might be available. I think that means a community coach could be considered. In Cabarrus, I don't think that would ever happen. Do you see the trend in teaching positions going open where small schools will go back to a local guy doing the coaching? In this Stanley county case at south, was the former guy history or p.e.? Is he staying so they don't have a position?
North Stanly has hired a non-faculty head coach (interim), so you may see the same thing happen on the southern end of the county.

Not sure I'm a fan of the head coach not being in the building during the day, but I guess if it's an absolute necessity, then so be it.

At SSHS, the former coach (Ocher) was commuting quite a distance daily. I don't know his plans, but I would not be surprised if he were to try to find a position with less of a travel burden.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
North Stanly has hired a non-faculty head coach (interim), so you may see the same thing happen on the southern end of the county.

Not sure I'm a fan of the head coach not being in the building during the day, but I guess if it's an absolute necessity, then so be it.

At SSHS, the former coach (Ocher) was commuting quite a distance daily. I don't know his plans, but I would not be surprised if he were to try to find a position with less of a travel burden.
Personally I’m OK with a Non Faculty HC as long as there as strong staff in place n they understand what HC wants n such - Ik many don’t hire non faculty HC but sometimes u have to hire who u can’t get n Non Faculty as HC isn’t a bad thing but is uncommon

History shows us that non-faculty coaches have never really worked; unless they are in a non-classified position and still working in the building day-to-day. But hiring a coach who works at the local body shop (has happened before; in this conference) has never been a successful venture for any school that went that route.

Football Head Coaches should be in the building.
I agree but sometimes u have to do what u have so Ik there some county allow non faculty to bc a HC and all but very few do n it’s rare so but I feel like if they do hire someone as a Non Faculty- They need have a contract to have commitment n all to ensure they are going be there like they should

Reactions: CherokeeKid
I think the others are writing the HC should be in the building is for more than football. I am a strong advocate of coaches in the hallways.
But wouldn’t assistant coaches do that ? I mean I don’t know why many are against non faculty members as HC bc I have question what’s the difference when a coach goes to SC (after he retire here) and is Just Coach I’m sure he not at building all day if he just coaching n not teacher correct or am I wrong?

But wouldn’t assistant coaches do that ? I mean I don’t know why many are against non faculty members as HC bc I have question what’s the difference when a coach goes to SC (after he retire here) and is Just Coach I’m sure he not at building all day if he just coaching n not teacher correct or am I wrong?
The coaches I know in SC do not have a primary job and then come to school after lunch. They are Coach/AD or they have other responsibilities at the school.

I wrote “coaches” in the hallways meaning assistants, too.
A school has to do whatever works best for their situation. Stanly County struggles with retaining teachers. One principal’s prerequisite for the HFC several years ago was to be certified to teach math. That slims down the applicant pool.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Doesn't work that way some times. Especially at small schools.
Thunder is correct. His teaching opening was math. Principal said to me, “do you have any idea how hard it is to get a qualified math tea her and retain them?” He hired three science teachers in two years and all left. Rural area, off the beaten path, with small very LEA supplements with not too distance counties with very good pay. This is why the non school employee is a becoming an option for head coaching positions.

Thunder is correct. His teaching opening was math. Principal said to me, “do you have any idea how hard it is to get a qualified math tea her and retain them?” He hired three science teachers in two years and all left. Rural area, off the beaten path, with small very LEA supplements with not too distance counties with very good pay. This is why the non school employee is a becoming an option for head coaching positions.

That sometimes is the only option. You don't want to move a PE teacher or put them out of a job for a football coach, granted I know some schools do that, which I don't agree with many times unless the PE position was married to a coaching position then said coach stepped down from coaching.

Math and science teachers are hard to find everywhere. Mainly due to testing standards, especially in math.

I asked before in my social media and ask what do coaches teacher n sadly I didn’t get big response I wanted but ones who did respond- Majority were Non PE guys but 1 so I’m curious what actual % is of coaches who do football are Non PE teachers

A WSFCS only had a math position open for a football hire this year. Took awhile to fill it. I know some very qualified applicants were turned away because of this.
Very simply this is NC not SC where they do not let things like education get in the way of their football programs. That is a direct paraphrased quote from a SC principal.

Very simply this is NC not SC where they do not let things like education get in the way of their football programs. That is a direct paraphrased quote from a SC principal.

You stole that..... and he's not far away in Chesterfield County.

Reactions: Eaglemeister
Seems like odd timing. I understand last year was difficult but based on the other recent thread sounded like things were trending in the right direction.
Nah- I’ve said multiple times in the past it wasn’t and a lot of what was coming out was a smokescreen..

That is correct. We open our doors in August Hosting a JV only schedule this year. Definitely an opportunity that is one of a kind

Reactions: ref4e
I agree. Charters offer competition and alternatives to the low-performing schools. If you feel threatened by having an alternative to the status-quo of your current public school situation, I just can't see why. Charters do not take money away from the public schools. Yes, they take kids away, but every public school in NC is fully funded. Can public schools fill vacant positions? No. Are teachers leaving the profession from public schools? Absolutely. Are teachers leaving Charter schools? Not at the same rate. Ask someone why. Fewer fights and incidences? Yes. Charters have generally better test scores, college admission rates, and even if they are not as competitive in every sport, they offer their students the opportunity to be a part of a team. I would suggest anyone that is against alternative ways to educate look at test scores, violence in the school setting, etc. and suggest why we accept mediocrity more often than achievement.

On the contrary. When a student from a school goes to a charter that school writes that charter a check. Physically writes a check. Got that? I agree it has led to the wussification of kids. You made your point on that. But our tax dollars should not be paying for kids to develop those characteristics. Solutions? Get the public schools better. I agree. But it's nothing really but segregation just masked in higher learning. Make schools better. Pay better, and make people have to solve problems. I understand charters. Disagree with them however. We are already raising a land of kittens, who can't deal with social issues, charters just accentuate that. Be a private school. Or .... Gasp.... Get your butt involved in the public schools to make them better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT