ADVERTISEMENT

Smoky Mountain Football

There are a couple of items in this post that need to be addressed. First of all, the schools you are mentioning west of Asheville can't stand to hire someone, "not from around here" and put themselves in a box with the parents, who truly run everything. Tuscola hit a home run hire with Donnie Kiefer and arguably again with Pursley. Truth is, even in Waynesville, most parents do not want a coach that they can't control and is not from "insert county" which the school is located. The coaches, head and assistants, at schools such as ACR and Asheville know the dirty truth. Everything West of Asheville is a joke athletically. It is not 1975 anymore and even the good programs are very below average when you get off the mountain. I don't want all the Smoky Mountain Conference 1A schools coming on here, because they play no one with a heartbeat when they get in the playoffs. I was very happy for Cherokee and Kent Briggs, that was an awesome story, but athletically if they played Reynolds they would get beat by 40. WNC has nothing for 2A ball and up because of the demographics and dying industry and communities. They are a retirement Oasis now that all the industry has relocated. I will give the people in Canton credit, they believe they are still relevant, because it is 1970 every day in Canton. Those people live in a time warp, not saying it is a bad thing, but it is truly a throwback community. A least until the paper mill leaves, then they will be Andrews, right before the developers come into town and turn it into Hendersonville west.
Excellent post and I agree. After moving here from Florida, the high school football here in WNC is about the equivalent of 9th grade football in SC, Georgia and Florida. Even Reynolds would struggle in those states. This is ok, however, I have never seen the amount of athletic delusion that I've heard here with very little clue as to what it takes to be a D1 football player even though there are almost none here.The amount of allowance of parental involvement is astounding as is how high school coaches are treated and viewed here. High School football in WNC is an absolute joke.

Last edited:
Excellent post and I agree. After moving here from Florida, the high school football here in WNC is about the equivalent of 9th grade football in SC, Georgia and Florida. Even Reynolds would struggle in those states. This is ok, however, I have never seen the amount of athletic delusion that I've heard here with very little clue as to what it takes to be a D1 football player even though there are almost none here.The amount of allowance of parental involvement is astounding as is how high school coaches are treated and viewed here. High School football in WNC is an absolute joke.

Well do us all incompetent unathletic hillbillies from WNC a favor and please drive back to Florida in the left lane at approximately 45 mph.

The only exception I would take, Rulz, is that it isn't 1980's anymore instead of 1975. In '75 Reynolds wasn't very good. Asheville was up and down. I seem to recall that Sylva-Webster was still competing pretty strongly into the early 80's until the McConnell's went batbleep crazy and ran off Babe. Tuscola was in the 3rd round in both 85 and 86 and lost both games by a total of 2 TD's. Pisgah became a roughly .500 ball club after '77.

I hear that smoky is getting 2 coaches from Pisgah. Seems that former head coach David Pressley is tagging along with your new head coach. He has a new job at smoky to go along with his coaching position. Who's gonna run the program?

I hear that smoky is getting 2 coaches from Pisgah. Seems that former head coach David Pressley is tagging along with your new head coach. He has a new job at smoky to go along with his coaching position. Who's gonna run the program?
I am the sure the Head Coach will!!

I am the sure the Head Coach will!!
Just asking a question!!!!!!!!!! Why are you so defensive. Why would a coach that's supposed to be retired and also supposed to retire from the school system altogether want to get back in the game as an asst. Coach. He's already "retired"from coaching twice at the same high school. Once as head coach and once as an asst. Coach.Its not just me wondering about it. I just asked it out loud on this thread. I've always read your posts on here as a Pisgah fan. By your response that doesn't seem to be correct??

Reactions: mbdfan
Just asking a question!!!!!!!!!! Why are you so defensive. Why would a coach that's supposed to be retired and also supposed to retire from the school system altogether want to get back in the game as an asst. Coach. He's already "retired"from coaching twice at the same high school. Once as head coach and once as an asst. Coach.Its not just me wondering about it. I just asked it out loud on this thread. I've always read your posts on here as a Pisgah fan. By your response that doesn't seem to be correct??
Go ask him, not worth an adult discussion

Go ask him, not worth an adult discussion
So your not a Pisgah fan? I don't need to ask him anything. But one things for sure alot of people are wondering.I guess your a smoky fan now. But you seemed to be a Pisgah fan until now. I went back and looked at your posts and it was always Pisgah until now?? Now why is it that your suddenly defending smoky mountain?

That's exactly what I was thinking, wouldn't even miss someone like that.
Exactly. There is a boatload of those types that many would love to see go back from where they came.If it was utopia why come here?

Reactions: PBBear51
Maybe he's bored with retirement and wants to go help the new HC? Kinda like a mentor in a way. Everybody knows they need coaches on staff at SM, and if they were able to find him a job that's a show of support for the new HC. Good start.

Well do us all incompetent unathletic hillbillies from WNC a favor and please drive back to Florida in the left lane at approximately 45 mph.
We are a little faster in Florida than 45mph. Perhaps this is the speed of football you are used to in Waynesville

Typical Florida superiority complex.But will claim to have moved here for the scenery and people.Leave a gated community only to come here and buy into another one
Oh and they all have a jimmy buffet story.

Exactly. There is a boatload of those types that many would love to see go back from where they came.If it was utopia why come here?

It use to be that way with the majority.Not sure it's still the same since a rich Florida transplant has been elected twice to the U.S. Congress.Not that I had anything to do with it.Just saying.

Getting salty in Milltown. Notice anything missing in the article?

https://www.themountaineer.com/spor...cle_9f0f739a-6355-11e8-83f2-e3f35d9b81f2.html

I noticed it when I read the article yesterday, no mention of the current coach, and what seems like a couple parting shots....

…………for teaching him the “right way to run a program.”

…………”not only from an x’s and o’s standpoint, but from a discipline standpoint.”

Might just be the view from my foxhole.

I noticed it when I read the article yesterday, no mention of the current coach, and what seems like a couple parting shots....

…………for teaching him the “right way to run a program.”

…………”not only from an x’s and o’s standpoint, but from a discipline standpoint.”

Might just be the view from my foxhole.

The off the field drama that Brindley was going through played a part in him leaving and not mentioning the head coach in the article.

That's what many people have been incorrectly told. Not the case.

Not true, it was at least 25%, the other being the fact that he was demoted and he is more than qualified to do his own thing. I think Pressley going is a great move for the new SM coach and will only help him, besides you can only do so much when Napoleon is still in town in your current situation. Best of luck to both Coaches on a successful future and I think the exuberance of the new coach and the veteran leadership of DP will bode well for the Mustangs. I just hope the new sports editor at the local Liberal fake news producer in Haywood County can survive a season without the Lil' General in Milltown hanging him out with Que and the Gang in Chapel Hill, you know, like he did with the last one.

Last edited:
Getting salty in Milltown. Notice anything missing in the article?

https://www.themountaineer.com/spor...cle_9f0f739a-6355-11e8-83f2-e3f35d9b81f2.html

Oh yeah, that was the easiest read between the lines eat S statement of all time. It should be chippy when the Bears and the Mustangs get after it this year. Not sure when it is on the schedule, hopefully, it is right after they lose to Greenville, TN by 40 or 50. That might give the Mustangs a chance, but they will have to actually play defense to do that. Something they haven't done in about 3 years.

We are a little faster in Florida than 45mph. Perhaps this is the speed of football you are used to in Waynesville

SCfanblue, never apologize for telling the truth. They can make jokes, complain and take shots at you, but you told the truth. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't always make it drink.

What did Smoky commit to Brindley that they wouldn't to Brookshire? Or did they feel burned for his pursuit of the Tuscola job and decided that they wouldn't?

What did Smoky commit to Brindley that they wouldn't to Brookshire? Or did they feel burned for his pursuit of the Tuscola job and decided that they wouldn't?
Brookshire lost 2 assistant coaches this year, and was unsure if he would be given the teaching positions to replace them. He also lost a coach after his 1st season because SM failed to come through with the teaching postion they promised him. And he lost another coach before his first season, because SM failed to help his spouse get a job, AS THEY Promised prior to moving 8 hours to the mountains. So, this is help to Brindley.

Oh yeah, that was the easiest read between the lines eat S statement of all time. It should be chippy when the Bears and the Mustangs get after it this year. Not sure when it is on the schedule, hopefully, it is right after they lose to Greenville, TN by 40 or 50. That might give the Mustangs a chance, but they will have to actually play defense to do that. Something they haven't done in about 3 years.
Y'all are hilarious! Strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. By the way, who said we were going to loose any games?

If you actually knew or realized the speed of football I am used to you sure would be eating a lot of crow haha but anyhow.. best of luck to the new coach at Smokey. I’d imagine Canton folks are upset.. since they lost their head coach and all.

Reactions: RealityRulz
If you actually knew or realized the speed of football I am used to you sure would be eating a lot of crow haha but anyhow.. best of luck to the new coach at Smokey. I’d imagine Canton folks are upset.. since they lost their head coach and all.

We never lost our head coach. Brett Chappell is our head coach.David Pressley retired several years ago. Ricky was an assistant.

We never lost our head coach. Brett Chappell is our head coach.David Pressley retired several years ago. Ricky was an assistant.
Yeah man I’m aware of that haha just in my eyes your “head coach” is now head coach of the ponies

Maybe that’s why all the dissension among the ranks ! He will leave canton just like he left east . No discipline will catch up to you sooner or later !

I understand the discipline part. I coached against a Chappell led Pisgah team, and during our game alone they committed 4-15 yard personal foul penalties for late hits. Guess who the first person to meet the players was coming off the field, and not to discipline them either? The Head Coach, who gave all of them a congratulatory chest bump and fist pound. Not very good from a leadership perspective when you are supposed to be molding young men into future leaders on and off the field.

Last edited:
I understand the discipline part. I coached against a Chappell led Pisgah team, and during our game alone they committed 4-15 yard personal foul penalties for late hits. Guess who the first person to meet the players was coming off the field, and not to discipline them either? The Head Coach, who gave all of them a congratulatory chest bump and fist pound. Not very good from a leadership perspective when you are supposed to be molding young men into future leaders on and off the field.
LOL....new poster...and you waited till now to talk about this... In five seasons I've never saw him give a chest bump for a personal foul or a good play and I haven't missed a game... Had one play for him...He does discipline players.... Your way off... So..did we beat you?And now you wanna talk on here about his coaching.. IF you are a coach...You'd have taken this up after/during the game with him if you had a problem..Or at least I think you would have...A leader takes up for his team on the field...Not on a message board....I know he takes up for his players..But not on here..Are you a leader?

We did take it up with him. You must have a foggy memory. And if a coach is mentioning this about him who was on his staff, I don’t think I’m that far off my man!!!

Last edited:
We did take it up with him. You must have a foggy memory. And if a coach is mentioning this about him who was on his staff, I don’t think I’m that far off my man!!!
He should have done a little better with who had on the sidelines...

Guess he couldn't pick his staff. Come to think of it...I do remember some whinners.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
I remember when Coach Chappell made then do pushups in a game with fans watching.when they got a personal foul.
I don't know how we went from a Pisgah assistant getting a head coaching job to attacking the current coach. Guess it probably has something to do with that five straight wins streak. Which by the way no other Pisgah coach has done.

I wouldn’t call it attacking but everyone in Haywood County that doesn’t live under a rock knows the assistant left because of the head coach.. but then again what do I know.

Reactions: 91ths
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT