ADVERTISEMENT

Smoky Mountain Football

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
Twitter report:

105.7 WRGC Sylva

Smoky Mountain head football coach Chris Brookshire resigned today, 04/02. May be going to Mars Hill. Replacement search starts immediately.

Maybe Brindley can take the job at Smokey, he is available now as he applied for free agency this morning. It would be a good hire.

I think Coach B did a great job at Smokey getting kids excited to play. There were over a 100 kids in that meeting teared up when he announced to them. It was a tough decision for him. I do think he will coach again soon and I'm almost certain it will be at the college level.

Comments like that are not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not true. Only staff issue was not giving him the teaching slots he was promised since day one. If there were some internal complaints he would have cut them loose.

I promise you there was no loss of respect for anyone. If there is ever a problem Coach B would fix it. Even if it meant removing a coach which I'm sure wasn't the case. Kids loved playing for him. It's hard not to like him or get along with him. He's such a people person with a big personality. It draws people to him in my opinion. I would loved to have had the chance to play for him. Wish him nothing but the best.

Is he ever going to stay with one program for more than 3 years? He campaigned hard for the Tuscola job. The grass is not always greener somewhere else.

Don't worry, there aren't too many Smoky Mountain fans on here to upset. This isn't a basketball or baseball forum!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Well, one of their feeder elementary schools spells it Smokey, so not the biggest faux pas. Jackson County Schools can't even figure it out.

They obviously haven’t figured out how to win either.. I really hope that Jackson County makes the right choice. All I’m going to say is Jackson County doesn’t have to look very far to be successful.

2 things to consider. Will they stay in house and hire Cagle, or the young prodigy Klipa? They love him up there and his wife is the head girls bball coach. Or will they finally put the money on the table and lure a Brooks brother home? Anything else will be a surprise.

I hope they give it to Klipa he may be the best option, look at what his wife has done with girls basketball. The kids love him and I think he took build the program to be something special and they wouldnt have to worry about him being lured away.

Well I wanted to stay out of this thread..but word (and very reliable) has it that Multiple jackson county officials have been in touch w both Brooks brothers and it's josh's job to turn to down...that decision will be all about family as sm will have met or exceeded every request or need that has been ask for...I'll give SM some credit they are doing all they can to build a winner..

I'll give SM some credit they are doing all they can to build a winner..
That may be true but I just don't see the Brooks brothers leaving Franklin. Smoky Mountain and Franklin have similar level athletes, but Franklin is a football school and Smoky is a basketball/baseball school.

I know Franklin wasn't always a football school but that groundwork has been laid over the last twenty years to make it such. Would the Brooks brothers be interested in investing the time (and it would most definitely take time) to get Smoky to the level as a program that Franklin currently is at? I guess it depends on how strong the pull to "go back home" is.

Ultimately it comes down to Three F's
FAITH
FAMILY
FOOTBALL
There entire family(families) both live in franklin..bekah is the new volleyball coach at franklin...in the end I think SM will have made an offer almost anyone would have accepted but in the end it will be family before football..as far as building a winner at SM..They would win ..

Brookshire to Madison County? Seems like a strange move to me. If true, I hope he will stay long enough to right the ship there.

They offered the job to the Brooks brothers last time and basically gave them all they wanted. They really would be crazy to leave what they have in Franklin, for the baseball/basketball school in Sylva. You can only do so much when the administration and AD really only care about the round ball. They won't give you what they promise, which is a big reason why this job is open again. And will be again in the near future.

I can't see them leaving Franklin for Smoky. That's not a shot at Smoky at all. I say that just due to the fact they've built a mountain power in Franklin

I have a question about coaching jobs in Western North Carolina. How come every job that opens up winds up hiring a Western Carolina Grad assistant or Pisgah Assistant Coach OR they talk about Franklin. No offense but what in the hell has any of the programs ever really won? How about pursuing an AC Reynolds assistant coach or a Asheville High assistant coach. Even better, the upstate of SC is a powerhouse NATIONALLY in high school football. Dorman, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Byrnes. There must be a coach from one of those programs looking for a shot. It's actually quite comical. How many of those Pisgah, Franklin or Western coaches besides the Cherokee coach has done anything? Not trying to be a jerk. Just truthful

I have a question about coaching jobs in Western North Carolina. How come every job that opens up winds up hiring a Western Carolina Grad assistant or Pisgah Assistant Coach OR they talk about Franklin. No offense but what in the hell has any of the programs ever really won? How about pursuing an AC Reynolds assistant coach or a Asheville High assistant coach. Even better, the upstate of SC is a powerhouse NATIONALLY in high school football. Dorman, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Byrnes. There must be a coach from one of those programs looking for a shot. It's actually quite comical. How many of those Pisgah, Franklin or Western coaches besides the Cherokee coach has done anything? Not trying to be a jerk. Just truthful

Briggs did a great job at Cherokee the past few years. He's also finally had some talent there with the Mintz kid and a bunch of hogs up front. Anyway, why would anybody from ACR or Asheville want to leave to go to a struggling program that won't hire assistant coaches? And you would have to be a complete idiot to leave any school you mentioned in SC to go to NC. Those schools down there are so far ahead in the way they run football, care about football, and take care of their coaches. This is why coaches are trying to get out of NC as soon as they can. Coaches that leave SC should be a red flag if they come to NC.

Which Pisgah assistant is getting the Madison job? Or is Cagle trying to go out that way. It is so late already that you have to wonder who in the hell would take that job.

Congrats to him. And good luck! Won't have the same support for football there like he's seen at Pisgah. But, I wish the new HC well!

There are a couple of items in this post that need to be addressed. First of all, the schools you are mentioning west of Asheville can't stand to hire someone, "not from around here" and put themselves in a box with the parents, who truly run everything. Tuscola hit a home run hire with Donnie Kiefer and arguably again with Pursley. Truth is, even in Waynesville, most parents do not want a coach that they can't control and is not from "insert county" which the school is located. The coaches, head and assistants, at schools such as ACR and Asheville know the dirty truth. Everything West of Asheville is a joke athletically. It is not 1975 anymore and even the good programs are very below average when you get off the mountain. I don't want all the Smoky Mountain Conference 1A schools coming on here, because they play no one with a heartbeat when they get in the playoffs. I was very happy for Cherokee and Kent Briggs, that was an awesome story, but athletically if they played Reynolds they would get beat by 40. WNC has nothing for 2A ball and up because of the demographics and dying industry and communities. They are a retirement Oasis now that all the industry has relocated. I will give the people in Canton credit, they believe they are still relevant, because it is 1970 every day in Canton. Those people live in a time warp, not saying it is a bad thing, but it is truly a throwback community. A least until the paper mill leaves, then they will be Andrews, right before the developers come into town and turn it into Hendersonville west.

Reactions: BlueVols
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT