ADVERTISEMENT

SMC championship

Crazy that Swain was picked to win it this year, now looking at a potential winless season. Will the Murphy v Robbinsville game be streamed anywhere?

Robbinsville wins going away.
Well who knows, they very well might but then again you're also the same poster that said Copper Basin could beat Robbinsville.. so you'll just have to excuse me and everyone else for not putting remotely any stock in your opinion on the matter.

Personally I've got Robbinsville winning by one or two scores. Murphy is still below their standard offensively, especially in terms of generating big plays, just too one dimensional at this stage.

Last edited:
Interesting that the assumption is it will be one of these two teams, but they are looking like the top two at this point. Knights by two scores.

Swain will beat Hayesville and possibly cherokee
Swain can't score and I see the only chance to win a game this season will be Hayesville as it look as Hayesville has the same issue. Cherokee can score but their defense is questionable. It's hard being a maroon machine fan this season after being pick to win conferences this year.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
What exactly is happening at Swain? I was one of those thinking Swain would be at the top this year considering the defensive front from last year and the big boys would be able to make up for skill position losses. Unfortunately, I have been so preoccupied with other things this year, I haven't been able to watch more than the game I go to each week other than week 1. I haven't seen an SMC team play this year other than Robbinsville vs. East Surry. SMC really down as bad as they seem or just a lot of growing pains for younger teams? I know Robbinsville is much better than their record from the game I saw. They just had a lot of mistakes and still tried to comeback against East Surry.

I think Robbinsville wins this one, but I would actually like to see Murphy pull it out. I like to see some parity. But I don't really have any mind to judge having seen to little this year.

I think Murphy matches up fine physically and athletically with Robbinsville. Honestly, based on those two things I would actually pick Murphy to win a close one this year, even on the road. But I don’t think it’s a physical thing as much as it is a mental one. Robbinsville just flat out has Murphy’s number and has, IMO, since 2014 when Coach Gentry told them to get better. I think they took that to heart and pretty much declared war on Murphy at that point. They play like somebody stole all their belongings every time they play Murphy now and they have come out on top more often than not ever since. It’s not just varsity football either, but pretty much every sport from youth league through varsity too. At some point, Murphy is gonna have to decide that enough is enough, and turn the tables on this thing. Winning Friday would be a good start.

Well who knows, they very well might but then again you're also the same poster that said Copper Basin could beat Robbinsville.. so you'll just have to excuse me and everyone else for not putting remotely any stock in your opinion on the matter.

Personally I've got Robbinsville winning by one or two scores. Murphy is still below their standard offensively, especially in terms of generating big plays, just too one dimensional at this stage.
I guess it’s difficult to sense sarcasm online. All serious though, Murphy was a much better team last two years compared to this year. They’ve also only played one good team in Franklin and got smoked. Those two wins vs 3A schools are against two of the worst in their conference. Robbinsville while not nearly as good as last year has played better competition as well. I’m still picking Hayesville though in a shocker to win the SMC!

I guess it’s difficult to sense sarcasm online. All serious though, Murphy was a much better team last two years compared to this year. They’ve also only played one good team in Franklin and got smoked. Those two wins vs 3A schools are against two of the worst in their conference. Robbinsville while not nearly as good as last year has played better competition as well. I’m still picking Hayesville though in a shocker to win the SMC!
Reading this board, I always find it funny that the 3a teams Murphy plays are only “good” if Murphy loses to them.

Also, Murphy is much better this year than the last two, at least IMO.

Murphy was a much better team last two years compared to this year. They’ve also only played one good team in Franklin and got smoked.
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Murphy is as good or better at nearly every position this season than in 2023 apart from RB, I mean this is basically the same team from last year but a year older. The problem for Murphy is that aforementioned RB Stalcup, completely carried the offense last year and losing him has been a massive loss no way around it. If you put Stalcup on this year's Murphy team they are a western regional finalist type of football team in my opinion, even with their lack of passing game. One player can make a massive difference at the 1A level, Hayesville looks like a shell of themselves without McClure flying around making play after play and disrupting things.

As far as Murphy's competition goes, they've played a very tough schedule for a 1A team so far. Franklin was obviously very good but to say that's the only good team they've played so far is just not true. Murphy was very fortunate to beat Heard County GA, they had athletes everywhere and would easily handle every other team in the SMC this year besides Robbinsville. West Henderson was a solid football team too, not anywhere near what they were last year but still good enough to beat most of the SMC handily.

Last edited:
Reactions: NC nole fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT