ADVERTISEMENT

SMC 2018!!! What are your thoughts!!!

Friend from Rville tells me this years line may be the smallest they have fielded in quiet some time.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Friend from Rville tells me this years line may be the smallest they have fielded in quiet some time.
Very young! I believe there will be a couple of freshman on the line. It’s going to be a huge learning curve. Gotta start somewhere. Will not know exactly how things will be until the season starts. But I am not worried how many years have I heard Murphy or Swains line will be dismal? It didn’t seem to mess their season up.

Believe when there young like that it'll hurt when it counts, when there tha seasoned vet that's been thru tha fire and tampered it'll count then to!! Tha way its lookin with what's comin up I believe will all go thru peeks and valleys!! Glad I'm around for our peeks tho!! Still believe we're gonna go deep in tha playoffs this year!!!

Very young! I believe there will be a couple of freshman on the line. It’s going to be a huge learning curve. Gotta start somewhere. Will not know exactly how things will be until the season starts. But I am not worried how many years have I heard Murphy or Swains line will be dismal? It didn’t seem to mess their season up.

Playing keep the ball away will not work with a smaller line.

I watched all our spring practices and so is ours. Turn out was pathetic. I think we had mid-20's all week. Only real size and experience we had on the line was Shope. We lost a great guard/,linebaker mid-week who from what I hear won't be back and our left tackle has been on the football field 6 times in his life and looked as though he'd never seen a weight room. There was a big 280 lb senior I saw get very few reps on offense, none with 1st string, which made no sense to me. A center who was offensive mvp on JV's two years ago didn't even come out. Our new starting center is Doc Dyers grandson who quit last year. Take that for what it's worth.

From what I saw if we make the "big 3" i'll be surprised.

I watched all our spring practices and so is ours. Turn out was pathetic. I think we had mid-20's all week. Only real size and experience we had on the line was Shope. We lost a great guard/,linebaker mid-week who from what I hear won't be back and our left tackle has been on the football field 6 times in his life and looked as though he'd never seen a weight room. There was a big 280 lb senior I saw get very few reps on offense, none with 1st string, which made no sense to me. A center who was offensive mvp on JV's two years ago didn't even come out. Our new starting center is Doc Dyers grandson who quit last year. Take that for what it's worth.

From what I saw if we make the "big 3" i'll be surprised.
so you have picked out my starters , left tackle you are referring to 6' 5" that benches 275 with very long arms , had two players quit before spring ball "sad" but next man up , and whomever wins the center spot, you and the rest of the parking lot want to be coaches can bet your sweet A$$ he earned it.

Reactions: mbdfan
so you have picked out my starters , left tackle you are referring to 6' 5" that benches 275 with very long arms , had two players quit before spring ball "sad" but next man up , and whomever wins the center spot, you and the rest of the parking lot want to be coaches can bet your sweet A$$ he earned it.
also since you were there every day you noticed I rotated kids all week.

How does Murphy always seem to have couple of starters quit ? Not bashing just asking . Seems like every year on these board y’all say someone ain’t coming out

Tough guestion, it's probably the high standard of the program and not the same desire or fire in the kid. I know from experience with my sons some want it and some don't.

Reactions: BravesGWY
I am glad the mods removed the myopic content from a certain Robbinsville fan.

Murphy wins the conference with Swain and Cherokee several steps behind. Robbinsville who has not been right since Plymouth whupped them several years ago will come in 4th.

10 kids could quit down there in Murphy and they'll still be fightin for tha gusto!!! They've got a coach that's been there at tha school coachin longer then I've been alive, tha kids believe in him!!! Lake man please don't open that bag of cats again, its rville, Murphy, swain and everybody else in our conference!!! Your callin down tha thunder from on high with that line up!!

Heard our boys looked pretty good in that 7 on 7 aginst Franklin but who knows what that translates to till tha big boys get lined up in tha trenches!!!

Wow, touchy much? I was just giving my honest assessment of what I saw at spring practice. Not a parking lot want to be coach as you referred to and don't have any kids on the field. I did play for Murphy my whole life till I graduated in '86 though and know a good line when I see one.

I hope we go 15-0 this season but from what I saw it's going to be an up-hill battle.

The attrition on Murphy's offensive line is concerning, but I have faith the coaches will come up with the appropriate solutions.

The lose of Cruse looms large, on both sides of the football, no way to deny that. It's an unfortunate turn of events for a very talented footballer.

Murphy fans, the kid that is transferring to Christ School for baseball, does he play football too?

Murphy fans, the kid that is transferring to Christ School for baseball, does he play football too?
He was the starting QB on JV two years ago, but tore his ACL very early in that season. He hasn't played football since and from what I gathered wasn't going to play football anymore even if he had stayed at Murphy. His future is definitely in baseball.

Reactions: TigerDen2
Got to check out some Cherokee / Christ school 7 on 7 . I don’t think anyone in the conf will have better skill kids than us . My question is Crowe can def throw but will he be able to move around and can our line hold them out. We got stud in Evans . smith and Mintz look big and strong receivers . The wild card is the tight end Santa Maria heard he cleaned 345 as a soph . If Christ school has lineman like their skill kids whew

Reactions: G_all_W_day_Y
1- murphy top dog in smc, great coach most talent.
2 _ cherokee keeping their kids away from swain now
3 robbinsville is my sleeper pick, could finish 2nd great coach, best back in smc
4 Swain great program and fans.
5 rosman great football town, will not be a push over.
6 hayesville better then last season
7 Andrews who knows

Reactions: Thatoneguy...
Got to check out some Cherokee / Christ school 7 on 7 . I don’t think anyone in the conf will have better skill kids than us . My question is Crowe can def throw but will he be able to move around and can our line hold them out. We got stud in Evans . smith and Mintz look big and strong receivers . The wild card is the tight end Santa Maria heard he cleaned 345 as a soph . If Christ school has lineman like their skill kids whew
That seems like a fair assessment about the Braves to me. Cherokee regardless of record always has very talented skill positions throughout the years. They are quick and nimble and make explosive plays. It was always unfortunate for them when they'd make a great play only to be negated by mental errors or penalties. They finally got the formula to work and it has paid off. Honestly and I've stated this before, this past year should not have been the 1st state championship. They have been hosed by a plethora of obstacles be it transfers, discipline, injuries or in the most recent latter years under performance and inadequate coaching. You guys have the coach and always had the athletes and now confidence. This makes for another statement year for the Braves and this year the bring the Championship tag wherever they play.

I think we are young behind the starters but all the starters are multi years starters . Crowe threw well But under-threw several deep balls. He has a very nice arm just wonder how the offense will change with him throwing and not running

Got to check out some Cherokee / Christ school 7 on 7 . I don’t think anyone in the conf will have better skill kids than us
I don''t know about all that GWY, you didn't have the best skill kids in the conference last year and quite frankly I don't see it this year either, regardless of how the conference standings shake out.

What the Braves had last season was the best "individual" skill player in the SMC and he's gone. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cherokee's only loss on the season was when they finally went up against someone that could match up with them athletically and force someone other than Mintz to beat them.

Now don't get me wrong, I know Evans is a fine player and has an FCS offer, but a lot of that is about projection at the next level due to his size and potential. No offense intended to Evans, but as far as the high school level goes, he's not in Tye Mintz's league.

Last edited:
Honestly and I've stated this before, this past year should not have been the 1st state championship.
Well the Langston Wood, Carr Crowe, Saunooke, Arkansas, etc. bunch should've won small 1A in 2007 from a pure talent perspective.

And everybody knows Cherokee would've cakewalked in small 1A in 2012 with Tisho, Panther, Wildcatt, Smith, etc.

Last edited:
Well the Langston Wood, Carr Crowe, Saunooke, Arkansas, etc. bunch should've won small 1A in 2007 from a pure talent perspective.

And everybody knows Cherokee would've cakewalked in small 1A in 2012 with Tisho, Panther, Wildcatt, Smith, etc.
Exactly. The latter group would of torched the field. And cannot forget Spencer McCoy left Cherokee and had a productive career at R’ville and Swain. And I’ve mentioned how Cherokee became a different team with Mintz. He legitimately made them better. Nothing against Evans but Mintz was the factor they needed and it was really about not letting him hurt you.

The attrition on Murphy's offensive line is concerning, but I have faith the coaches will come up with the appropriate solutions.

The lose of Cruse looms large, on both sides of the football, no way to deny that. It's an unfortunate turn of events for a very talented footballer.

Did the Mugharbil kid participate in spring ball? I love watching that kid play. Murphys line will be fine.

He looks very good at workouts. There is not a harder working kid out there. My opinion, and bare in mind that it is just mine, he will be the best lineman Murphy has had in 15 or 20 years before it is all said and done.

Totally agree

Best college prospect on the line since Shawn Johnson. You can't teach size and he has plenty of it, and the work ethic to match. It says something that he was Murphy's best player on JV despite have never played a down of football in his life.

Even if he doesn't grow another inch the next three years he's already got next level size at 6'5, along with really good footwork thanks to years of playing soccer. And most importantly he has an excellent head on his shoulders, so grades will not be an issue towards any college opportunities.

With all that said, he's only going to be a sophomore and he's only played one year of organized football, so people need to be patient with him and the rest of Murphy's offensive line, because they're going to be really young. Shope is the only returning starter and I would say there's a good chance that he's the only senior starter on the o-line this year.

'Dogs may take a lump or two early on playing big experienced teams like Pisgah and Franklin, but by the end of the regular season I think the line will be in good shape.

Last edited:
i love how everyone is underestimating the jackets this year, With a strong sophomore group. if you remember all their skill players were freshmen starting in there last game against rosman in the first half because of a few mistakes a lot of seniors made and won plus hayesville has been trying to build there program for 4 years with a very smart and determined coaching staff i think this year you will see a different hayesville yellow jackets!!!

i love how everyone is underestimating the jackets this year, With a strong sophomore group. if you remember all their skill players were freshmen starting in there last game against rosman in the first half because of a few mistakes a lot of seniors made and won plus hayesville has been trying to build there program for 4 years with a very smart and determined coaching staff i think this year you will see a different hayesville yellow jackets!!!
Hayesville has some nice looking skill kids coming up and a couple more returning, but if the line play doesn't dramatically improve it will be hard for them to compete with the better teams in the league.

we had some nice line men come up from jvs last year and two who have been really getting after it in the weight room i must say the atmosphere from when i played to now has changed drastically plus we have 3 nice quarterbacks who can come in and deliver the goods!! been awhile since we have saw that. i'm not saying we are the best in the smc but i believe we will turn some heads this year

we had some nice line men come up from jvs last year and two who have been really getting after it in the weight room i must say the atmosphere from when i played to now has changed drastically plus we have 3 nice quarterbacks who can come in and deliver the goods!! been awhile since we have saw that. i'm not saying we are the best in the smc but i believe we will turn some heads this year

Ending the losing streak against Towns County will be a good starting point for the Jackets. A 5 week gauntlet (Sept 14 - Oct 12) against Mt Heritage, Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy will definitely be a way to gauge how much the Jackets have improved. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT