7 North Moore
8 South Stanly

I would say it should be 3 East Montgomery
4 Walkertown (beat East Surry)
5 East Surry
6 North Stanly
7 North Moore
8 South Stanly

Griddie, that wont work. In order to put EM in front of Walkertown you have to ignore the fact that Walkertown split the conference championship (which is fine in my eyes because MA won the draw) and only look at records. If you do that, then that means that Walkertown falls down to 7 in the midwest (due to record). Head to head only matters if records are the same.

Gotcha brother, makes sense, thanks. I really like this new format. Hope they stick with it.

Looks like Mountain Island Charter had to forfeit two conference games and will now be 8-3 on the season (has been updated on MaxPreps). TJ and Pine Lake both get the wins so TJ is now tied for the conference with Bessemer City with 5-1 conference records. TJ gets the tie breaker for their head-to-head win over BC. Does this have any significant impact on the 1A playoff projections?

Bess City is not a #1 seed due to the forfeiting of games by MIC (TJA gets #1 seed) and Walkertown is not a 1 seed (MA won that draw)

Bess City is not a #1 seed due to the forfeiting of games by MIC (TJA gets #1 seed) and Walkertown is not a 1 seed (MA won that draw)
Yeah , others were wondering (including me) why Walkertown was 3 seed. I noticed he updated today, but still has them there.

So who does East Surry play? Swain or Pine Lake Prep?

Walkertown and ES lost the draw to MA for the #1 seeding.

In my eyes it should be like this:

3MW East Montgomery
4MW East Surry
5MW North Stanly
6MW North Moore
7MW Walkertown

1MW, 2MW and 8MW stay the same.

Which would put ES playing Pine Lake.

With a win over Lakewood tonight how/will that affect James Kenan's seeding? Or are we a virtual lock to play Tarboro first round

With a win over Lakewood tonight how/will that affect James Kenan's seeding? Or are we a virtual lock to play Tarboro first round

It wouldn't matter unless they would end up splitting the conference title (Princeton and North Duplin would have to lose and I don't see that happening). Plus they would have to win the draw between the three.

Starmount at West Montgomery
Swain Co at North Stanly

Cherryville at Whiteville
Avery at East Montgomery

Walkertown at East Wilkes
PL Prep at East Surry

Bess City at North Moore
South Stanly at MA

Thoughts & corrections appreciated

Bareman, that's what I have come up with but the 2nd round matches would be different than what I see I think.
1 WM/8 Starmount winner faces
5 NS/4 Swain Cty (I thing SC would be home team in first round due to higher seed)

3 EM/6 Avery winner faces
2 EW/7 Walkertown

1 MA/8 SS winner faces
5 PLP/4 ES

2 Whiteville/7 Cherryville winner faces
3BC/6NM (also BC will be at home due to higher seed)

Guess we'll find out Saturday.

the only thing that's "questionable" is Swain with a 5-5 record hosting a 7-3 North Stanly....

Swain is 5-5 but they finished as a conference runner up to Murphy. NM would have to travel to Swain I believe..

Well if that is the case then it is total BS if a conference runner up has to travel and play a team that finished 4th in a conference. I would still pull for NM but that is not right and takes all incentive for playing a tough non conference schedule away. If conference finish isnt important, why draw for a conference champion when their is a tie? Jist give it to the team with the best record. Just my opinion.

But if Swain is 4th seed in West and north Stanly 5th sees in MW then records will not matter correct? I love this new system but this is a little rare. North Stanly a better record but Swain came in 2nd in there conference

Last edited:
Well if that is the case then it is total BS if a conference runner up has to travel and play a team that finished 4th in a conference. I would still pull for NM but that is not right and takes all incentive for playing a tough non conference schedule away. If conference finish isnt important, why draw for a conference champion when their is a tie? Jist give it to the team with the best record. Just my opinion.

You can play a tough non-conference schedule, just make sure that you win your conference. Why should 2nd place be rewarded?

On the flip side Swain played a tough non conference schedule. Then when got to 1A competition won 2nd in their conference with just one loss

You can play a tough non-conference schedule, just make sure that you win your conference. Why should 2nd place be rewarded?
I pretty sure the records are used only for seeding. Afterwards, the higher seeded team is the home team, regardless of record. We'll find out tomorrow

based on what I've been reading today on Twitter, it shouldn't take long to get the brackets out. 99% of the games have been played

This system takes that incentive away WM. South Davidson is fielding calls for next year as we speak. They have become the pretty girl at the dance suddenly. I think if they don't change this system teams will schedule as weak a non conference as possible so they have better chance for playoff seeds.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I wish we had a tougher non conference schedule, but if this is the case to heck with it. The higher seed and playing at home is worth more if this is the case. If my team finished second in a tough conference and the reward is traveling over 4 hours to play a team that finished 4th in a much weaker conference, I'd not be very happy about that. Time to schedule the High Mountain Home School team.

BC will be seeded as a #1 because they are big 1aa and Thomas Jefferson will be seeded as a #1 in little 1a. Had we both been in same division, we would have been seeded as wildcard. But on a great side note... The playoff process is one of great wonder and amazement. I'm totally shocked that every other state in the country has not adopted our model because it... Is... Awesome!

A Jacketfan

Reactions: wormyone42
Once again, awesome job Brian. You appear as close as you can get to being spot on.

This formula is by far the best and most interesting that I've seen. So I am 200% confident that the NCHSAA will bleep it up.

Reactions: gurnade
This modeL is so great a #1 seed will be going on the road in the 2nd round to play a team that finished 5th in the same conference. Illiterates at the NCHSL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT