ADVERTISEMENT

Simmons Ratings - Week 1

Thats less than a gap than Robbinsville faces.
It would be the same if tarboro had to play a 1,100/1,200 school.
But yeah little fish

Your boy started the numbers debate by saying small fish.

660 is kind of small.

Robbinsville won it all in 14 and was smaller than every school except 11.

Murphy laid 60 on that state runner up. Pretty sure they wouldn't have faired much better with Robbinsville or Cherokee.
Again, why not complain about East Surry being #2? They got blown out too. Lost 4 games to Pamlico's 2, yet they are AHEAD of Pamlico. I'm sure Pamlico has returning players too.

I’ll be glad when somebody in the smc gets to play Tarboro, a strong run game and a good defense don’t scare anybody in the smc, hell thats every Friday night on multiple fields up here

Reactions: smcdom123
Again, why not complain about East Surry being #2? They got blown out too. Lost 4 games to Pamlico's 2, yet they are AHEAD of Pamlico. I'm sure Pamlico has returning players too.
I don't think East Surry has ever made it out of the west to play for the State Championship until last year and only played in the western finals once or twice and lost .

Reactions: BK13T-$
I don't think East Surry has ever made it out of the west to play for the State Championship until last year and only played in the western finals once or twice and lost .
Yet they are ranked second in this rating, which uses math instead of opinions to generate its power rankings. Pamlico is exactly the same. Never been anywhere until last year. Got blown out in the championship just like East Surry. And they are ranked a few places lower. But these guys are acting like they shouldn't be in the top 10. They are basing the ranking on conference history instead of what transpired last season. That's really all the opening rankings have to go on. The most recent body of work. So being the runner up shouldn't matter because they are from the East? That's crazy. Who says the west is all that? With the dominance of the SMC out west, it seems like it's just those top four teams and nobody else over there. I know as far as 1A, it's really just Tarboro and no one else, but I'm not over here saying that the east can murder the west though. But the Western boys think the east is jv football.

Reactions: TarVikes
Yet they are ranked second in this rating, which uses math instead of opinions to generate its power rankings. Pamlico is exactly the same. Never been anywhere until last year. Got blown out in the championship just like East Surry. And they are ranked a few places lower. But these guys are acting like they shouldn't be in the top 10. They are basing the ranking on conference history instead of what transpired last season. That's really all the opening rankings have to go on. The most recent body of work. So being the runner up shouldn't matter because they are from the East? That's crazy. Who says the west is all that? With the dominance of the SMC out west, it seems like it's just those top four teams and nobody else over there. I know as far as 1A, it's really just Tarboro and no one else, but I'm not over here saying that the east can murder the west though. But the Western boys think the east is jv football.
East Surry is the 2nd best team in the state returning their best players from last year including three D1 players. Unless they have a lot of injuries or just fall apart, no 1A or 2A team they play but Reidsville from the west will touch them. But the Reidsville game may be interesting and may tell where ES stands. They also will give Tarboro a better closer game IMO.... Who knows, they may win their first State Championship.

Reactions: ESguro

Pamlico would have been a 4th place team in the SMC last year and would do no better this year. That's what I'm saying.

East Surry is the 2nd best team in the state returning their best players from last year including three D1 players. Unless they have a lot of injuries or just fall apart, no 1A or 2A team they play but Reidsville from the west will touch them. But the Reidsville game may be interesting and may tell where ES stands. They also will give Tarboro a better closer game IMO.... Who knows, they may win their first State Championship.
The West 1aa was weaker than dish water. The 4th or 5th best 1a team from WNC made it to the 3rd round with a 3-8 record. East Surry got flat smoked by tarboro, and the same will happen this year, unless Mitchell or Murphy go big, then they will getbthumped by the vikings.

Where do you think last years East Surry team would’ve finished in the SMC?

The West 1aa was weaker than dish water. The 4th or 5th best 1a team from WNC made it to the 3rd round with a 3-8 record. East Surry got flat smoked by tarboro, and the same will happen this year, unless Mitchell or Murphy go big, then they will getbthumped by the vikings.
If East Surry gets the #1 seed in the west I just don't see anyone from the west going into East Surry's house and beating them, especially if they give Reidsville a good game at Reidsville. Remember last year was their first-ever trip to a State Champion Game and now they have that under their belt and are hungry to go back and redeem themselves. May not win but I predict a much closer game. It is still early and I may have a different outlook if Reidsville blows them out. Now when it comes to Reidsville and Mount Airy Reidsville will probably blowout Mount Airy young team because of their huge pre-1972 rivalries that had to be moved to a natural field a few years because of people from both sides going onto the fields and fights. If I remember correctly and may be wrong but I think they played a few years at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston Salem. Can't really see a repeat of that because these players were not even born then and not a rivalry anymore. Reidsville is ranked #1 in 2A and won the 2A State Championship last year.

Reactions: ESguro
Pamlico would have been 5th in smc....cherokee was winning at Murphy at halftime. Cherokee also hung with Mitchell in playoffs

Never understand why people get bent out of shape over rankings and polls. They mean 2 things very little and nothing. Just go play ! If Tarboro was ranked 45 would that keep them from going to the show ? Hell no ! Go play, do your job and it takes care of it’s self. Had a coach tell me “ if you got em gasping for air and all their getting is blood you got em “.

I agree! What matters is where you are at the end of the season. Swain is at 22 now......end of season we will be in top five. Just my prediction. I like our chances.

Never understand why people get bent out of shape over rankings and polls. They mean 2 things very little and nothing. Just go play ! If Tarboro was ranked 45 would that keep them from going to the show ? Hell no ! Go play, do your job and it takes care of it’s self. Had a coach tell me “ if you got em gasping for air and all their getting is blood you got em “.
We talk about polls because they come out a few weeks before the games start and most of us are ready to talk football and polls are the first thing that gets the ball rolling and fun to debate and as you said polls this early mean nothing but after midseason, they start to mean a lot.

I’ll agree. The first poll should come out the Monday before you start conference play. Just my thoughts! Good luck to everyone tomorrow night and injury bug please stay away.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
If it went off of last year then how is pamilco ranked higher than Robbinsville.

Thats dumb then. This should be about how good you are not how far you made it in the weak side of the bracket.

Pamlico would have been 5th in smc....cherokee was winning at Murphy at halftime. Cherokee also hung with Mitchell in playoffs
As a Tarboro fan, all I really need to do is point at the scoreboard and that kind of settles the argument. My issue with this discussion is that Pamlico would be 5th in the SMC. There is no scoreboard that can settle this, but you didn't see the body of work. Folks in the west saw (or heard about, or just looked at the box score on...) Pamlico one time. You know nothing. This is your narrative. East is weak, west is best and its all some of you care to hear. The rest of the season, you can mold it to suit your beliefs. That's fine. Pamlico was a much stronger team than you folks give them credit for and that team deserved a better fate in that championship game. Murphy did what a dominant team does. They made the other team look bad, which they did to all of SMC last year. Props to Murphy. Its sad the Murphy folks are always accompanied on this board by a lot of jock riders.

I can't argue with the history of the SMC. Their top teams have championships left and right and the conference is deserving of its clout. The teams have also been around since football was invented, so they've had plenty of time to build their resume, yet they are comparing themselves to teams that barely have 25 years under their belts. Polls and rankings are pointless, but they are also based off of the now, not the past. The SMC wins the tradition contest, no doubt. But God forbid there are opinions that say that other schools are ahead of their schools in the present body of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarVikes
Thats dumb then. This should be about how good you are not how far you made it in the weak side of the bracket.
No one knows how good you are this year until you play a few games. It's easier to rank that in college ball or pro than 1a highschool football before the season starts. Next ranking should be more accurate

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Swain finished third in the SMC last season. My opinion we underachieved with a young inexperienced team. But I watched Murphy vs Pamlico and I actually coached one of the players on Pamlico’s team in youth league here in Swain County. I anticipated it being a competitive game and I was absolutely wrong. Murphy destroyed them and they in my opinion did not have their best back and they still looked like they could do anything they wanted to them. It was bad. A blind man could have called the plays and the score would have been the same. If Pamlico played like that I know they would have finished fourth in our conference last season.

No one knows how good you are this year until you play a few games. It's easier to rank that in college ball or pro than 1a highschool football before the season starts. Next ranking should be more accurate
And each poll after next weeks will be better. NCPreps poll is as good as any I see every year because it is usually more aligned with the NCHSAA brackets then MaxPreps sloppy mess !

Princeton probably belongs in top 10 but Pamilco and Riverside shouldnt be.

Well they got beat 44-16.
Princeton (max198)(simmon195)
Pamilco (max135)(simmon148)
Ok? Wake Forest lost too, to a lesser rated team. It happens.
This whole conversation has been about where they should be ranked to start the season. And based on how they finished last year, they should have been placed at a high ranking to begin the season. But this is a new season, and they will be ranked from here on out by the way they play THIS season. Gee whiz.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
Shouldnt be ranked high just because your on the weak side. Its a state wide ranking.
They shouldn't been ranked top 10 last year if they was better teams ranked lower. I think you fell to grasp what ranking are trying to achieve.
Robbinsville went to 4th round. Mitchell went to 3rd rd. Your logic would have Robbinsville ranked higher than mitchell. I rank Mitchell higher because ranking are meant to rank best to worst not how far you make it playing non ranked competition.
Gee whiz!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT