ADVERTISEMENT

Simmons Ratings - Week 1

You don't think teams that played in the championship game should get any love?

Seeing as how the week 1 rankings are pretty much based off of last season, why shouldn't they be near the top?

Seeing as how the week 1 rankings are pretty much based off of last season, why shouldn't they be near the top?

Pamilco would've finished 4th or 5th in smc last year. I dont think you should be ranked high just because your the best in the east if your not even top ten in state.

Tarboro is in the same conference as Pamlico, so they pretty much played nearly the same schedule, and played eastern 1A teams in the playoffs. Are you insisting that Tarboro isn't a top team? Can they not contend in the mighty SMC?
Pamilco would've finished 4th or 5th in smc last year. I dont think you should be ranked high just because your the best in the east if your not even top ten in state.

The first week poll is totally based on recent history. As in last season. It's not a program history rankings. I would definitely argue against Pamlico if that was the case.
I suppose that is understandable if taking into account recent history. Hopefully we can change that this year.

Come now people. This is a preseason rating. We know nothing except what happened later year and what each program typically does year over year. I am pretty sure that even Brian would say week 1 ratings are suspect. I doubt he goes team by team and makes rating adjustments based on who graduates and who returns. The ratings will get more and more accurate as the amount of current data grows. If you are bent out of shape about preseason rankings, you are way too invested.

Reactions: mbdfan
I don't know much about Western schools, so I can't comment. All I know is Pamlico officially are state runners up. That counts for something in power rankings, fair or unfair. East Surry lost 4 whole games last season, but finished in the state championship game, and look at where they are. No problem with that?
So Thomas Jefferson was better than Robbinsville last year?

Sorry, I am seriously hearing the teacher from the Peanuts.

tenor.gif

Wah, wah, wah...Smoky Mountain...wah, wah...East is weak...wah, wah.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarVikes
The SMC is apparently the best conference in the history of football and I can’t even name a team other than Murphy that plays in it.

Hey Junior! Im not complaining but anyone with any football knowledge knows after tarboro the next 9 teams will be western teams most of the time.

Who is the last team other than Murphy to win anything out of the SMC? Please educate me.

Just saying I know how weak Tarboros conference is - and it is still rated higher than the SMC. What does that say about the SMC?

North Stanly ranked 5th? They will be lucky if they win 5 games this year.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Just saying I know how weak Tarboros conference is - and it is still rated higher than the SMC. What does that say about the SMC?
Tarboro's conference is rated higher because Tarboro is in it. Take Tarboro out and the SMC is actually rated higher...but that's kind of like saying, if not for the tornado tearing your house down, it was a great day.

Tarboro's conference is rated higher because Tarboro is in it. Take Tarboro out and the SMC is actually rated higher...but that's kind of like saying, if not for the tornado tearing your house down, it was a great day.
Murphy blew everybody out in the SMC last year just like Tarboro did in their conference. If you take Murphy out of the SMC- where does it stand?

I don't know much about Western schools, so I can't comment. All I know is Pamlico officially are state runners up. That counts for something in power rankings, fair or unfair. East Surry lost 4 whole games last season, but finished in the state championship game, and look at where they are. No problem with that?

Murphy laid 60 on that state runner up. Pretty sure they wouldn't have faired much better with Robbinsville or Cherokee.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Murphy blew everybody out in the SMC last year just like Tarboro did in their conference. If you take Murphy out of the SMC- where does it stand?
I understand that, but the SMC was around when Methuselah was born and they can quote you chapter and verse every championship they've ever won.

Reactions: ncvol2381
Murphy scored 28 on Robbinsville with their RB. They scored 60 without him and could've scored more. The smc has placed 3 different teams in the title in 5 years.
4 different teams in the last 8 years.

2011 Swain 1aa champs
2011 murphy 1a champs
2012 swain runner up
2012 murphy runner up
2013 murphy state champs 1a
2014 Robbinsville 1a state champs
2014 Robbinsville runner up
2016 murphy state champs 1a
2017 Cherokee 1a state champs
2018 murphy 1a state champs

Reactions: Gps62
East Surry returns a lot of their playmakers from that team including 3 Division 1 prospects.

I guess that's the recipe for being the strongest conference in 1A. Stay small.
Tarboro' recipe is stay away Wallace Rose Hill and that size schools. Just look at how many c-ships they have since they became the biggest fish in the pond.

Tarboro' recipe is stay away Wallace Rose Hill and that size schools. Just look at how many c-ships they have since they became the biggest fish in the pond.
Well Tarboro won 3 championships in 2A within the last decade so

Anybody that thinks SMC isn't one of the strongest conferences in NC football, hasn't looked at the record books.

Tarboro' recipe is stay away Wallace Rose Hill and that size schools. Just look at how many c-ships they have since they became the biggest fish in the pond.[/QUOTE
we've won four being the small fish in the pond

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT