ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby High School

hornet62

May 11, 2010
Why isn't Shelby never ranked nationally? Also will Shelby be interested in playing in the Corky Kell Classic in Atlanta against some of the best teams in Georgia and the nation if it could be arranged? Also if a game with Colquitt County,Camden County,or North Gwinett three of the best teams in Georgia and the nation if possible.

We keep trying to kick Shelby & Crest out of the Nest. They have no interest playing out of state games. I would love to see Shelby play Dillon. Lmao! They will travel to Georgia when Hell freezes over. They're 2A! They would also have to play the top teams in NC. You would win the lottery before that happened. Lmao!

Both are 2A & 3A powers of NC. That's where it ends.

Last edited:
The Corky Kell has never had out of state teams. After a bunch of posts here that this was changing I had a promoter that runs a couple of events that know the people that run that. They told him it was for GA teams only currently with no change planned at the time.

Hornet remember when Washington County, Charlton County, and then Buford had their runs in 2A. Woukd you have wanted them to be your GA representative against St Thomas Aquinas, BT Washington, or may be Miami Northwestern those years?

Would you have sent Clinch County to play Colquitt last year of trying to match the top few teams in GA?

That is somewhat the equivalent of what you are proposing.

Btango. That might explain why they never responded to the Creek 2 years ago/

Hornet remember when Washington County, Charlton County, and then Buford had their runs in 2A. Woukd you have wanted them to be your GA representative against St Thomas Aquinas, BT Washington, or may be Miami Northwestern those years?

Would you have sent Clinch County to play Colquitt last year of trying to match the top few teams in GA?

That is somewhat the equivalent of what you are proposing.
I have seem all those teams play and a 2A team in GA. did beat Colquitt County at their place. Those teams can be beat both teams only put 11 guys on each side at a time and you can't judge how big a kid heart is. Let the kids play and if they lose at least they will be gaining some experience for the future. Even IMG can be beaten.

What year did Colquitt lose to an AA school and what was CC's record that season?

The question I pose, is if Georgia was going to send a team to play the best squad in Florida or Texas or DeLaSalle this past season would you want them to send A state champ Clinch County or Colquitt? They both play only 11 players on the field at a time.

Before Shelby, Crest, Havelock, Scotland, or New Bern travel to GA I would prefer to see them match up with the best team in NC's big 4A classification but if Colquitt or another school wants to pay them so be it.

Last edited:
The Colquitt team now is not getting beat by a 2a program. That's 11guys with a totally different type of depth. Anything can happen, but I doubt it

I was looking at Rivals top 100 in 2017 and saw players from Crest and Shelby but no Mallard Creek.So than I looked at Rivals top 100 in 2018 and saw a player from Shelby but still no one from Mallard Creek.Very interesting.

Mallard Creek probably has about five in the top 25 in the state. Crest has one and Shelby now has one.

Wish Crest and Shelby could have worked out home games with Mallard Creek.

The
I was looking at Rivals top 100 in 2017 and saw players from Crest and Shelby but no Mallard Creek.So than I looked at Rivals top 100 in 2018 and saw a player from Shelby but still no one from Mallard Creek.Very interesting.

Creek still has week 5 open. Let me guess..schedule is full right?? Very interesting

Mallard Creek probably has about five in the top 25 in the state. Crest has one and Shelby now has one.

Wish Crest and Shelby could have worked out home games with Mallard Creek.

Three rivals 4 stars in Jones, Gibson and Moore

Two 3 stars in Douglas, and Clement

Committs-

Douglas- South Carolina
Gibson- NC State
Jones- UNC

Mallard Creek has more FBS players on this years roster than Crest & Shelby together. LMAO!

Why isn't Shelby never ranked nationally?

Shelby is a 2A school. Most years I think many of us would agree that Shelby is a top 25 team in North Carolina and sometimes even a top 15 team (the past two years they have been very solid, for example), but they have no business being within a hundred miles of any national poll.

There are plenty of ass whippings available for Shelby in North Carolina if they chose to look for them (they don't), so there's really no need for them to travel to Georgia or Florida to find a loss. They could do that here and save themselves a lot of travel time and money in doing it.

I will say this, however...match them up against the 2A champ in any state you want to pick on a neutral site and I think they would represent North Carolina very well. Dillon is the only 2A team I've seen anywhere that I would give a slight edge to going into the game. For their classification, they are very, very good. You'll have a hard time finding many 2A schools anywhere in the southeast that can match their size, speed and athleticism.

Shelby is a 2A school. Most years I think many of us would agree that Shelby is a top 25 team in North Carolina and sometimes even a top 15 team (the past two years they have been very solid, for example), but they have no business being within a hundred miles of any national poll.

There are plenty of ass whippings available for Shelby in North Carolina if they chose to look for them (they don't), so there's really no need for them to travel to Georgia or Florida to find a loss. They could do that here and save themselves a lot of travel time and money in doing it.

I will say this, however...match them up against the 2A champ in any state you want to pick on a neutral site and I think they would represent North Carolina very well. Dillon is the only 2A team I've seen anywhere that I would give a slight edge to going into the game. For their classification, they are very, very good. You'll have a hard time finding many 2A schools anywhere in the southeast that can match their size, speed and athleticism.
Pretty easy to do when the Coach RUNS THE SCHOOL.....SC.... . . .. nuff said....

I will say exactly what I have said for a long time. That Shelby team that I saw in Raliegh last year was outstanding. Fast, physical with a outstanding duel threat QB. They would have been a handful for anybody.

Depth and numbers matter and just like Dillon playing at home in week one couldn't sustain it for 4 quarters against MC in 2013 I suspect the same would happen to Shelby .

Most 4aa teams just get worn out o er 4 quarters playing MC especially late in the year when they really dial up the pressure and intensity.

Shelby was 840 last alignment.

Make no mistake, Shelby has an awesome team and the program has churned out wins. Would just like to see them play a little bit better competition in one or two of their non conference games. Absolutely one of the top venues to go to a high school game in the state. I would really like to see a couple of the very best 4A schools go there and play them in a split the gate. Teams would make money and it would be a good game. It would also tell us where Shelby stands as the best "team" in the state.

I agree with hokie, they are a very good squad and not many schools with less than 1,000 students is going to beat them.

I can remember when little ole Alcoa,TN with about 550 was ranked nationally. Don't see why Shelby couldn't be ranked one day.

Maryville got a lot of love during their streak also but there were years that many did not think they were the best in Tennessee.

I saw Joliet Catholic play when they were a top ten team in a few polls. Almost liking watching Charlotte Catholic. Team probably top five in Charlotte. About 900 students but they were ranked until they lost in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs to the eventual state champion.

Maryville got a lot of love during their streak also but there were years that many did not think they were the best in Tennessee.

I saw Joliet Catholic play when they were a top ten team in a few polls. Almost liking watching Charlotte Catholic. Team probably top five in Charlotte. About 900 students but they were ranked until they lost in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs to the eventual state champion.

Rudy, Rudy...

Shelby was 840 last alignment.

Make no mistake, Shelby has an awesome team and the program has churned out wins. Would just like to see them play a little bit better competition in one or two of their non conference games. Absolutely one of the top venues to go to a high school game in the state. I would really like to see a couple of the very best 4A schools go there and play them in a split the gate. Teams would make money and it would be a good game. It would also tell us where Shelby stands as the best "team" in the state.

I agree with hokie, they are a very good squad and not many schools with less than 1,000 students is going to beat them.
btango, Shelby's non conference schedule for 15 was A C Reynolds {only loss Shelby}, Freedom {only loss to Shelby}, and South Point {only losses to Shelby and Crest}. Out of 11 games 6 were against 3A. You will be hard pressed to find a more loyal fan to Shelby, but they have no business playing MC, and vice versa. Why would MC want to play a 2A school. Gaffney which would be a great draw due to proximity will not for that reason.

I agree that is an impressive schedule for a 2A or even a 3A team! This thread started because of a poster wanting them to play Colquitt County, one of the top teams in the nation. Before a team goes out of state to play the best team in one of the big time football states I would prefer to see them play the best teams in their home state.

MC appears to want to play any team that will give them a challenge and help them financially so they can play 11 regular season games.

The problem for SC schools is the playoff seedings and the points system.

Rudy, Rudy...

Correct. I have spoken with some folks that know Rudy including the guy that played his roommate or friend in the movie. The real life guy is actually the bartender in the movie scene.

Met Rudy at the Lincolnton (NC) Chamber of Commerce meeting about 18 years ago and at Notre Dame about six years ago. Nice, funny, very short.

This Shelby, Crest, Mallard Creek argument seems a little silly to me at times but who am I to judge. I guess I will put in my two cents. I am impressed with what all three programs are doing. Each program has some things that it does really well. I believe at this moment that Mallard Creek is easily the most talented team in the state and on paper should be the best team in the state. Mallard Creek's advantage over every other team in the state is their overall depth of talent. I also believe that if you are a one dimensional team against any of these three teams but especially MC in particular than your chances of beating them are slim to none. MC wears you down with size and talent over four quarters. It just a fact. You basically have to hope that you catch MC off guard or distracted. When MC is focused it's almost like watching a pride of lions fight over a carcass. Not pretty..
Crest High's top end talent is very good and should not be dismissed by Charlotte high school football fans who have not seen it up close. Many years and there are years where if these two matched up, MC would be more talented 1-22 than Crest but Crest would have 5-6 players just as talented or more talented than what MC has on the field. For example if Crest and MC played this year, MC would have the more talented starting 22 but Crest would have the most talented player and probably best player on the field with Justin Foster. Crest is producing NFL players every few years and a couple of current world class sprinters who were football players at Crest. It's extremely possible that we will get to see a Crest alum(d-line) vs a MC alum(o-line) in NFL battles in the very near future.
Although there is one Shelby poster who annoys the heck out of me, what Shelby has done and is doing is quite impressive. MC would beat Shelby 9 times out of ten but MC would have to come to play and not take them lightly. MC's overall size on their o-line would eventually take over the game and Shelby would not be able to do a lot about it. In saying that, Shelby's skill guys on offense would be just as good as MC's skill talent. Shelby's skill talent is usually just too much for many schools to handle. Think about it, Shelby is a 2A school who started two FBS receivers, had back to back college qb's, and other offensive skill guys signing with schools or receiving college attention already. Shelby would easily handle the majority of NC'S 4A teams. It would definitely take one of the elite 4A's to beat them on a regular basis. Also while Shelby's schedule is not quite as tough as MC's schedule, AC Reynolds, South Point, Freedom, Crest, and Kings Mountain aren't exactly chopped liver and is tougher than many 4A schedules. While Dillon is outstanding and many pump them up because they play MC, Shelby beats Dillon 6-7 times out of ten in my opinion.
All three teams are kings of their respective classes right now and I will not slight or throw shade at what any of these three have accomplished on the field. MC's goal seems to be national relevance, Shelby's goal is state titles, and Crest's goal seems to be that it wants to be biggest/baddest bully on their block lol. That is also the way that each seems to schedule games. MC is the heavyweight champ currently, Crest is the light heavy champ, and Shelby is the middleweight champ. There you go.

Correct. I have spoken with some folks that know Rudy including the guy that played his roommate or friend in the movie. The real life guy is actually the bartender in the movie scene.

Met Rudy at the Lincolnton (NC) Chamber of Commerce meeting about 18 years ago and at Notre Dame about six years ago. Nice, funny, very short.

I played against Gordy Gillespie. Not much of a innovator but his teams executed and played harder than anything I saw then or since. Great teacher of techniques

This Shelby, Crest, Mallard Creek argument seems a little silly to me at times but who am I to judge. I guess I will put in my two cents. I am impressed with what all three programs are doing. Each program has some things that it does really well. I believe at this moment that Mallard Creek is easily the most talented team in the state and on paper should be the best team in the state. Mallard Creek's advantage over every other team in the state is their overall depth of talent. I also believe that if you are a one dimensional team against any of these three teams but especially MC in particular than your chances of beating them are slim to none. MC wears you down with size and talent over four quarters. It just a fact. You basically have to hope that you catch MC off guard or distracted. When MC is focused it's almost like watching a pride of lions fight over a carcass. Not pretty..
Crest High's top end talent is very good and should not be dismissed by Charlotte high school football fans who have not seen it up close. Many years and there are years where if these two matched up, MC would be more talented 1-22 than Crest but Crest would have 5-6 players just as talented or more talented than what MC has on the field. For example if Crest and MC played this year, MC would have the more talented starting 22 but Crest would have the most talented player and probably best player on the field with Justin Foster. Crest is producing NFL players every few years and a couple of current world class sprinters who were football players at Crest. It's extremely possible that we will get to see a Crest alum(d-line) vs a MC alum(o-line) in NFL battles in the very near future.
Although there is one Shelby poster who annoys the heck out of me, what Shelby has done and is doing is quite impressive. MC would beat Shelby 9 times out of ten but MC would have to come to play and not take them lightly. MC's overall size on their o-line would eventually take over the game and Shelby would not be able to do a lot about it. In saying that, Shelby's skill guys on offense would be just as good as MC's skill talent. Shelby's skill talent is usually just too much for many schools to handle. Think about it, Shelby is a 2A school who started two FBS receivers, had back to back college qb's, and other offensive skill guys signing with schools or receiving college attention already. Shelby would easily handle the majority of NC'S 4A teams. It would definitely take one of the elite 4A's to beat them on a regular basis. Also while Shelby's schedule is not quite as tough as MC's schedule, AC Reynolds, South Point, Freedom, Crest, and Kings Mountain aren't exactly chopped liver and is tougher than many 4A schedules. While Dillon is outstanding and many pump them up because they play MC, Shelby beats Dillon 6-7 times out of ten in my opinion.
All three teams are kings of their respective classes right now and I will not slight or throw shade at what any of these three have accomplished on the field. MC's goal seems to be national relevance, Shelby's goal is state titles, and Crest's goal seems to be that it wants to be biggest/baddest bully on their block lol. That is also the way that each seems to schedule games. MC is the heavyweight champ currently, Crest is the light heavy champ, and Shelby is the middleweight champ. There you go.
Very good analysis!

Gillespie built a dominant program at JC.

Dare we deem them the Shelby of Illinois high school football.

Some good stuff here but I disagree with the Dillon analysis. At full strength the 2012-2013 would have handled Shelby most years. Crazy physical squads.

The Dillon teams I have seen have had more size and are probably more physical than Shelby. The recent Shelby teams have been able to open up the field with pass and still run the ball well. Great matchup!

Some good stuff here but I disagree with the Dillon analysis. At full strength the 2012-2013 would have handled Shelby most years. Crazy physical squads.
the 2013 and 2014 teams for Dillon were really good. Coach Hayes is a great coach. 2013 was one of Dillon more talented teams with a couple of future Gamecocks on roster. I believe the MC/Dillon game was the best thing to happen to the Creek program. MC had no idea what they were walking into playing at Dillon. I also believe MC beats Dillon by 3td's at the end of the 2013 season. 2013 Dillon may have won a few years against Shelby but I believe Shelby would win more than they would lose if they matched up every year. Both teams won state titles that year. Many Charlotte posters underestimate Shelby's talent because you haven't seen them much in person and the one crazy fan they overhypes them.Talent wise Shelby is not your normal 2A school. MC and Butler are the only two schools in Charlotte that I believe can consistently beat Shelby. In 2013 Dillon would have been lining up against a Shelby team that ran a no huddle spread offense that featured a future college qb who passed for over 3,000yds and four receivers who either received offers or who are playing college football. Add in some college rb's to that mix. Shelby would have spread Dillon out and make them tackle athletes in space. Shelby also had more than a few college prospects on the d side led by a 255lb who was as physical as any high school linebacker I've seen and I've seen a few. Shelby scrimmages Gaffney every year and usually scrimmages Independence, Providence, and a few other big schools to get ready for the season every year. 2A Shelby has manhandled these 4A schools a few times during these scrimmages which is probably why a few of their fans like to chirp on here in my opinion.

The Dillon teams I have seen have had more size and are probably more physical than Shelby. The recent Shelby teams have been able to open up the field with pass and still run the ball well. Great matchup!
I would love to see this match up also. Each team would present some challenges for the other. Dillon's ability to handle the no huddle spread offense of the Golden Lions and keeping Shelby's offense off the field would decide the game.

the 2013 and 2014 teams for Dillon were really good. Coach Hayes is a great coach. 2013 was one of Dillon more talented teams with a couple of future Gamecocks on roster. I believe the MC/Dillon game was the best thing to happen to the Creek program. MC had no idea what they were walking into playing at Dillon. I also believe MC beats Dillon by 3td's at the end of the 2013 season. 2013 Dillon may have won a few years against Shelby but I believe Shelby would win more than they would lose if they matched up every year. Both teams won state titles that year. Many Charlotte posters underestimate Shelby's talent because you haven't seen them much in person and the one crazy fan they overhypes them.Talent wise Shelby is not your normal 2A school. MC and Butler are the only two schools in Charlotte that I believe can consistently beat Shelby. In 2013 Dillon would have been lining up against a Shelby team that ran a no huddle spread offense that featured a future college qb who passed for over 3,000yds and four receivers who either received offers or who are playing college football. Add in some college rb's to that mix. Shelby would have spread Dillon out and make them tackle athletes in space. Shelby also had more than a few college prospects on the d side led by a 255lb who was as physical as any high school linebacker I've seen and I've seen a few. Shelby scrimmages Gaffney every year and usually scrimmages Independence, Providence, and a few other big schools to get ready for the season every year. 2A Shelby has manhandled these 4A schools a few times during these scrimmages which is probably why a few of their fans like to chirp on here in my opinion.

2012 Dillon had two SEC olineman on it. The 2013 versions defense was very good led by the one LB whose name escapes me. Kid was a maniac. Think he went on to play at USC.

The X factor with playing Dillon is the prison yard they play at in the middle of the city. Already can't wait to go back this August

Reactions: shutdownD24
2012 Dillon had two SEC olineman on it. The 2013 versions defense was very good led by the one LB whose name escapes me. Kid was a maniac. Think he went on to play at USC.

The X factor with playing Dillon is the prison yard they play at in the middle of the city. Already can't wait to go back this August
#34 Joe Blue.This kid was bad! He got recruited by USC,passed all the required tests,and at the last minute they didn't accept him.I don't know anything about SHELBY but this would not be an easy win.

Last edited:
#34 Joe Blue.This kid was bad! He got recruited by USC,passed all the required tests,and at the last minute they didn't accept him.I don't anything about SHELBY but this would not be an easy win.

Yup, that was the kid. Good fullback, great LB. Also had another SC recruit on DL if I remeber correctly

Reactions: shutdownD24
#34 Joe Blue.This kid was bad! He got recruited by USC,passed all the required tests,and at the last minute they didn't accept him.I don't anything about SHELBY but this would not be an easy win.
I agree 100%. It would be a great matchup. No easy wins either way.

Many Charlotte posters underestimate Shelby's talent because you haven't seen them much in person and the one crazy fan they overhypes them.Talent wise Shelby is not your normal 2A school. MC and Butler are the only two schools in Charlotte that I believe can consistently beat Shelby.

Good post.

Some of the posters here are film junkies and a few do get out to see other teams. I have seen Shelby play at least once in each of four decades and have pretty consistently seen them play one or two games a season for several years. Several state title games I moved on at halftime due to their superiority.

I think most seasons Shelby is handled by a couple of Charlotte teams and has very close games with four or five while the rest are Shelby wins with the margin spreading wider in their favor as they go down the line.

I think Dillon would be able to matchup athlete for athlete for the most part and would defend those athletes and the spread better than any other 2A teams in the Carolinas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT