ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby Fans

The reason you are constantly on here begging for teams to play you is that NOBODY wants to play your pumped up high school all star team nor should they. Shelby and Crest play HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. IMG does not. Its a prep school for Division 1 athletes.

Go play Gorman, go play Aquinas, Bosco or the other 4 or 5 regional or national recruiting powers. Then play split squad scrimmages for the rest of the season.

There is a reason you arent allowed in the Florida high school playoffs. You dont play high school football. Crest and Shelby or any other NC school have as much business playing IMG as they do playing App state or ECU. They would be at a HUGE competitive disadvantage. It has zero to do with being scared or getting a " educational experience".

These high school super teams have been getting out of hand the past few years. It would be better if they formed their own prep league. You even have a few public schools that morph into super teams but they're disguised or inconspicuous. They do make a decent scrimmage games for regular high schools to prepare for the season.

I have no issue with the IMG format. It's an extension of what already happens in many sports. If you have the ability to send your kid to Bradenton then good for YOU.

Where my issue starts is when coaches, parents and the fan base try and make this sound like a HS football program and try and get the Mallard Creek, Shelby's and Crests of the world to play them.

Shelby is already playing a nationally elite HS program this year. By anyone's standards. Mallard Creek has played several. What they have zero interest in is having their kids compete against a school that recruits nationally, has a virtually unlimited budget for coaching, faculties and travel and currently has easily 20-25 national recruits on its roster. Including 2 of the best 4 DL in the country and probably 6 or 7 of the best 50 HS players in the country.

It's silly to even discuss.

Some coaches complained that the they recruited the opponent's players that shined against them.

IMG's biggest issue has getting rising seniors that are elite but the underclassmen not as much for the most part. This can result in a lack of team chemistry and familiarity. The rising senior is brought in because they are a stud or he is needed to fill a position. He gets a huge break on the more than $60,000 tuition, room, board, facilities, medical, training, and staff costs. Obviously the better well known they are and more big time the schedule the easier it is for them to get elite players earlier. I see playing them as a way to assist and support this concept.

Some coaches complained that the they recruited the opponent's players that shined against them.

IMG's biggest issue has getting rising seniors that are elite but the underclassmen not as much for the most part. This can result in a lack of team chemistry and familiarity. The rising senior is brought in because they are a stud or he is needed to fill a position. He gets a huge break on the more than $60,000 tuition, room, board, facilities, medical, training, and staff costs. Obviously the better well known they are and more big time the schedule the easier it is for them to get elite players earlier. I see playing them as a way to assist and support this concept.

They aren't governed by any state association so I have zero issue with their recruiting efforts and frankly I have more issue with HS coaches claiming they are recruiting THEIR kids. They were never their kids.

But let's not play like they are Kings Mountain or even Dutch Fork for that matter. They are a preparatory school for potential college and professional athletes. Their sole function has always been to prepare them for a potential windfall fall 6-8 years down the line for IMG.

Do I think they can be beat?? Of course...They are still 16-17 old kids and focus against top notch competition is always gonna be a problem. However, let's not make this a apples to apples comparison. It's more like apples to lobster tail. 99% of the HS teams in the country have zero business entertaining playing a IMG or Bishop Gorman. A far more entertaining 3 hours is a Shelby versus Southpointe and much better use of my time.

100% in agreement B&G especially the opponent remark.

I think Centennial, just like last year, gives them all they can handle.

The reason you are constantly on here begging for teams to play you is that NOBODY wants to play your pumped up high school all star team nor should they. Shelby and Crest play HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. IMG does not. Its a prep school for Division 1 athletes.

Go play Gorman, go play Aquinas, Bosco or the other 4 or 5 regional or national recruiting powers. Then play split squad scrimmages for the rest of the season.

There is a reason you arent allowed in the Florida high school playoffs. You dont play high school football. Crest and Shelby or any other NC school have as much business playing IMG as they do playing App state or ECU. They would be at a HUGE competitive disadvantage. It has zero to do with being scared or getting a " educational experience".
Man you just do not get it you just feel uncomfortable outside of the mountain and if a kid get the chance to fulfilled his dream by going to IMG my are you hating on the kids you should be glad the kids want to make something of themselves and get a good education and hopefully make it to the pros so they can help their parents and give back to their community. If little old Bishop Sullivan has the courage to play IMG and you don't with all talent you claim you have. Put up or shut up even Cardinal- Gibbons is talking about scheduling IMG even Northeastern and big time Shelby and Crest just want to stay in the mountains and explore the world and see what's going on. (Knowledge is the new money. Have a bless day and let the kids have some fun before they graduate high school.

hornet, if you read Blue and Gold's first sentence he writes that he is fine with IMG and could care less if they recruit.

B&G travels around for the best high school games. You may see him in the Triad one week, Charlotte the next, then South Carolina, and in the Sandhills. I think he has probably went to the Triangle for some games. Also, he is not from NC.

Man you just do not get it you just feel uncomfortable outside of the mountain and if a kid get the chance to fulfilled his dream by going to IMG my are you hating on the kids you should be glad the kids want to make something of themselves and get a good education and hopefully make it to the pros so they can help their parents and give back to their community. If little old Bishop Sullivan has the courage to play IMG and you don't with all talent you claim you have. Put up or shut up even Cardinal- Gibbons is talking about scheduling IMG even Northeastern and big time Shelby and Crest just want to stay in the mountains and explore the world and see what's going on. (Knowledge is the new money. Have a bless day and let the kids have some fun before they graduate high school.

LOL...Knowledge is the new money. You pick that up off a bumper sticker??

Here's the deal champ. Grew up in Chicago, lived in Ohio from roughly 88-96 and have watched teams from all over the country play. I love HS football but guess what.....IMG isn't high school football. As I stated previous I have zero issue with the format of the school and haven't said anything even close to derogatory about it or the kids. IMG cant play in their own state playoffs....that tells you all you need to know. Many states ( Texas) wont ALLOW their schools to play IMG .

IMG talks to all sorts of schools few end up taking the bait. Bishop Sullivan has the $$ and like most the schools IMG plays also actively recruit and provide financial incentive to play there. It has ZERO to do with courage. Its the same reason UNC doesn't play the Carolina Panthers. They don't play under the same rules or even close.

LOL...Knowledge is the new money. You pick that up off a bumper sticker??

Here's the deal champ. Grew up in Chicago, lived in Ohio from roughly 88-96 and have watched teams from all over the country play. I love HS football but guess what.....IMG isn't high school football. As I stated previous I have zero issue with the format of the school and haven't said anything even close to derogatory about it or the kids. IMG cant play in their own state playoffs....that tells you all you need to know. Many states ( Texas) wont ALLOW their schools to play IMG .

IMG talks to all sorts of schools few end up taking the bait. Bishop Sullivan has the $$ and like most the schools IMG plays also actively recruit and provide financial incentive to play there. It has ZERO to do with courage. Its the same reason UNC doesn't play the Carolina Panthers. They don't play under the same rules or even close.
Here's the real deal Mr. Blue and Gold 22 I grew up NC.lived in NY,lived in GA. and saw teams from all over the country even in Hawaii and Okinawa have seen some of the best talent in the country in the GA. metro area most states have transfer rule now even NC. if a school has the courage to play IMG based on all you have said then power to them it might help some kids who wasn't on some college recruiter radar get notice so be happy for the teams that have the guts to play IMG plus IMG is bring a lot of money to Florida and it's all politics man if it was so bad then why don't Florida stop the high schools in Florida from playing IMG. The NCAA clearing house isn't stopping the kids from IMG from going to college so why should we complain? Let the kids play because every D1 recruits that listed as a four or five star recruit is all hype most of the time once they get out on the field you see that they put their pants on one leg at time just like you and I. You cannot instill that type of attitude in your team or individual players fear no team no matter how they are rated or where they recruit from you got to believe man. My coaches taught us to fear no team I don't know what your coaches taught you guys when you played football. We were not the biggest of team probably one of the smallest in the conference but we were in the best condition and had the biggest heart of any team we played, we didn't care what your classification was because once you crossed those white lines it was on man. Have no fear and by the way Knowledge Is The New Money didn't come off no bumper sticker. I'm surprise you never heard that expression before. Peace my man. I'm out.

They aren't governed by any state association so I have zero issue with their recruiting efforts and frankly I have more issue with HS coaches claiming they are recruiting THEIR kids. They were never their kids.

But let's not play like they are Kings Mountain or even Dutch Fork for that matter. They are a preparatory school for potential college and professional athletes. Their sole function has always been to prepare them for a potential windfall fall 6-8 years down the line for IMG.

Do I think they can be beat?? Of course...They are still 16-17 old kids and focus against top notch competition is always gonna be a problem. However, let's not make this a apples to apples comparison. It's more like apples to lobster tail. 99% of the HS teams in the country have zero business entertaining playing a IMG or Bishop Gorman. A far more entertaining 3 hours is a Shelby versus Southpointe and much better use of my time.
You have your opinion and I have mine and if IMG or Bishop Gorman is playing in my neighborhood I'm going to see them two play I can see a Shelby or Southpointe any time you don't get a chance to see an IMG or Bishop Gorman or a Booker T. Washington from Florida that often in person. Most fans doesn't I should say. Peace.

I have never seen IMG in person. Have seen BTW. Have been to a couple of Gorman practices.

Have you contacted a team to play IMG in 2018?

I have never seen IMG in person. Have seen BTW. Have been to a couple of Gorman practices.

Have you contacted a team to play IMG in 2018?
Yes I got one who isn't afraid and is willing to play IMG in the 2019/20 season in NC. They have a played a top tier team in the country a few times.

This is 2017 coming up, then 2018. So not until 2019?
At least they are willing to play IMG, as you know most schools in NC. have a two year contract so 2018 will be the last year of their contract so they will consider the 2019/20 season. Btango you have a lot of contact with AD's and Coaches in NC. why don't you check with some of them ask them about a 2019/20 game against IMG at their house could be an endowment game since they will be doing their new contracts and schedules. Thanks.

hahahahaha!

Sidebar: there are no real mtns in NC(visit Colorado) and CC is not in the mtns.
That's not true man there are a lot of mountains in NC. the military even do mountain training in certain parts of the mountains in NC. plus we eastern call anything on the other side of Charlotte the mountain in football. Thanks and have a bless day. Peace.

At least they are willing to play IMG, as you know most schools in NC. have a two year contract so 2018 will be the last year of their contract so they will consider the 2019/20 season. Btango you have a lot of contact with AD's and Coaches in NC. why don't you check with some of them ask them about a 2019/20 game against IMG at their house could be an endowment game since they will be doing their new contracts and schedules. Thanks.

Will that game draw a big crowd? Why would they do it as an endowment game?

Absolutely it will draw a big crowd not even from it own fans but from football fans all around the area.

We agree it will draw a big crowd but why would the home team ever do it as an endowment game?!?!?

That's not true man there are a lot of mountains in NC. the military even do mountain training in certain parts of the mountains in NC. plus we eastern call anything on the other side of Charlotte the mountain in football. Thanks and have a bless day. Peace.

I was making a joke. I see what you mean, if you live in a flat area any hill over 10 feet is a mountain.

Reactions: coondog8585
Why in the world would a public school want to play a team that doesn't play by the same rules? You want to test your team? No way. You want to test them against fair competition. You aren't scheduling college teams, and there is no reason to schedule these national all-star teams.

Last edited:
I don't think he knows what an endowment game is btango.
As long as the NCHSAA get their 25pct. the NCHSAA don't care either way because everybody involved if they agree on the money to be paid is going to get some money in their pocket even the team that's traveling to help off set their traveling expenses, a team like Shelby won't be losing any money any way.

Why in the world would a public school want to play a team that doesn't play by the same rules? You want to test your team? No way. You want to test them against fair competition. You aren't scheduling college teams, and there is no reason to schedule these national all-star teams.
Have you ever seen IMG play in person Whitemiles Davis? Everybody that play for IMG isn't an All Star man and most don't go D1 or to the pros. The way you are thinking NC Football is always going to be considered sub standared to SC.,GA.,Texas,Florida,California,VA.,and every other states if you guys don't get on board and start playing some of the best teams in the country and get out from under your comfort zone of just playing your in state teams that you know you can beat every year.

I don't think he knows his butt from a hole in the ground.
I might not have a butt but I have a heart and isn't afraid to play or go against someone because all of the hype and press they receive from attending a camp,didn't your coaches teach you if you played any ball at all not to fear no man or player because of the hype? Do not believe the hype man you got to show me on the field that you are better than me. You got to have faith in yourself brother, just like when you go after the prettiest young lady you ever saw, you got to have that confident in yourself. (Knowledge Is The New Money). Check out who said the mentioned quote you might be able to build some confident and some moltivation in yourself, and believe you and your team can compete with the best.

Have you ever seen IMG play in person Whitemiles Davis? Everybody that play for IMG isn't an All Star man and most don't go D1 or to the pros. The way you are thinking NC Football is always going to be considered sub standared to SC.,GA.,Texas,Florida,California,VA.,and every other states if you guys don't get on board and start playing some of the best teams in the country and get out from under your comfort zone of just playing your in state teams that you know you can beat every year.
We're playing South Pointe this year. They are a real school and within an hour of Shelby. Makes sense. As far as the rest, don't care. Don't care to see IMG play. I only want to see the teams on Shelby's schedule. If I wanted to watch nationally recruited programs, I'd watch college. High school is kids.

I might not have a butt but I have a heart and isn't afraid to play or go against someone because all of the hype and press they receive from attending a camp,didn't your coaches teach you if you played any ball at all not to fear no man or player because of the hype? Do not believe the hype man you got to show me on the field that you are better than me. You got to have faith in yourself brother, just like when you go after the prettiest young lady you ever saw, you got to have that confident in yourself. (Knowledge Is The New Money). Check out who said the mentioned quote you might be able to build some confident and some moltivation in yourself, and believe you and your team can compete with the best.
I'm 42. This is among the dumbest things I've ever read. Congrats.

I'm 42. This is among the dumbest things I've ever read. Congrats.
Why are you getting hostile if the kids want to better themselves and get the opportunity to go to college for free and maybe make the pros, you should be happy for them. As long as that the way the game is played and they aren't doing anything against the NCAA rules and if Shelby don't want to play national ranked teams and just stay local then that their right. Oh,by the way Mr. Eric Thomas one of the most well known motivation speaker in the sports world and other occasions that one of his (QUOTE), so just remember what's he trying to tell you,break it down man and you might get it. And let the kids play football against the best so they can look back on their high school playing days and say we played against one of the best high schools teams in the country and beat them. Remember you got to believe that you can. Think positive and get out from under your comfort zone. The football world is bigger than just Shelby. You want to be the best you got to play the best. Peace whitemilesdavis. I'm out.

The NCAA has nothing to do with regulating IMG. That's the problem they are not regulated. Cannot participate in state playoffs in Florida. Some people do not agree with IMG's setup. Therefore they prefer not to assist IMG by scheduling them.

They had 22 ranked players in the last graduating class. That means 2 star or up by one of the major three recruiting services. Two were 5 stars which there were about thirty total in the whole class. They will have more ranked players this year.

All that does not mean they cannot be beaten. Many are rising seniors so they may not be as jelled as a team. There a couple of teams on their schedule this year that will challenge them. Private schools and huge urban area publics with liberal enrollment policies. A smaller less talented team may catch the perfect storm, you never know.

Last edited:

You continue to make this about heart, courage, fear and confidence. Your arguments are silly. First off. IMG is not the best. The New England Patriots are the best football team currently and neither Shelby or Crest are scheduling them. The reason is because the PAtriots dont play HS football and....neither does IMG.

As I have stated before....The reason you keep coming on here begging for teams to play IMG is because 95% of the HS teams refuse to. Why?? Again..they dont play HS football.

There are hundreds of schools across the country that recruit within their cities. I know..I played for one all the way back in the olden days. There are a handful that do it regionally. Gorman, Bosco, Aquinas etc,etc.... IMG is the only prep facility that actively recruits and pays for kids on a national basis. Nothing wrong with any of it , just dont keep talking about courage and heart. Its stupid.

Tell ya what...... When IMG stops recruiting and paying for play and they operate with only the kids who live within a 5-10 mile area of the campus give someone a call. I am sure the boys from Cleveland County would love to play that team. Otherwise....stop telling us about courage and fear.

The football world is bigger than just Shelby.

Wrong. As far as High School football goes, that is it. I care about Shelby and Shelby only. The only teams that I am at all concerned with are because how they relate to Shelby. That's it. High School football is not a national sport for me. It is local. Very local. If it became otherwise, I would stop watching.

You continue to make this about heart, courage, fear and confidence. Your arguments are silly. First off. IMG is not the best. The New England Patriots are the best football team currently and neither Shelby or Crest are scheduling them. The reason is because the PAtriots dont play HS football and....neither does IMG.

As I have stated before....The reason you keep coming on here begging for teams to play IMG is because 95% of the HS teams refuse to. Why?? Again..they dont play HS football.

There are hundreds of schools across the country that recruit within their cities. I know..I played for one all the way back in the olden days. There are a handful that do it regionally. Gorman, Bosco, Aquinas etc,etc.... IMG is the only prep facility that actively recruits and pays for kids on a national basis. Nothing wrong with any of it , just dont keep talking about courage and heart. Its stupid.

Tell ya what...... When IMG stops recruiting and paying for play and they operate with only the kids who live within a 5-10 mile area of the campus give someone a call. I am sure the boys from Cleveland County would love to play that team. Otherwise....stop telling us about courage and fear.
I believe NC. has a transfer rule in place now. So if a kid that doesn't live in a 5-10 miles radius of your school and he's a good student/athletes then he cannot play for your team? How many kids have transferred into Shelby or Crest that live outside the 10miles radius you set up for IMG? Now you aren't even making sense when you bring in the New England Patriots into the conversation when we are talking about high school football. Do you think all the kids from Gorman,Bosco,Aquinas,etc are all local kids from the area and parents don't move to those area so their kids can attend the schools you mentioned above so they can have a better chance of getting an athletic scholarship and go to college and hopefully one day play pro ball. Man I don't beg for nothing all I do is ask, the coach might say yes and they might say no but if you don't ask you will never know would you? If IMG don't play high school football why is it that they don't go undefeated every year? There are a lot of regular public high schools that can play with IMG and beat them plus if the NCAA isn't knocking them then let the kids play I bet if you go to Shelby and Crest and do a survey of the kids and ask them do they want IMG I bet you that 100pct would say yes. Try it man and see for yourself don't take my word for it. The kids have more heart and confident in themselves than the majority of the coaches does. Peace my man I played a little ball in the old days myself and not your coach our coaches taught us to fear no teams because they put their pants on one leg at a time just like we does. We were taught and train different than you guys were.

Wrong. As far as High School football goes, that is it. I care about Shelby and Shelby only. The only teams that I am at all concerned with are because how they relate to Shelby. That's it. High School football is not a national sport for me. It is local. Very local. If it became otherwise, I would stop watching.
Man you don't know what you're missing if you just watch Shelby football there are a lot of good teams out there wouldn't you want to Shelby bring in a national ranked team that you hear about all the time on ESPN or read in a sports magazine? Local high school football is good but I also love to see teams that get a lot of ink also to compare what we have against the best and believe it or not it's that not much different in talent and ability most of time it's the coaching the little things that make the different in a win or lost. Peace whitemilesdvis and good luck with Shelby this upcoming season.

The NCAA has nothing to do with regulating IMG. That's the problem they are not regulated. Cannot participate in state playoffs in Florida. Some people do not agree with IMG's setup. Therefore they prefer not to assist IMG by scheduling them.

They had 22 ranked players in the last graduating class. That means 2 star or up by one of the major three recruiting services. Two were 5 stars which there were about thirty total in the whole class. They will have more ranked players this year.

All that does not mean they cannot be beaten. Many are rising seniors so they may not be as jelled as a team. There a couple of teams on their schedule this year that will challenge them. Private schools and huge urban area publics with liberal enrollment policies. A smaller less talented team may catch the perfect storm, you never know.
That's all i'm trying to say to the Shelby and Crest guys,IMG is not unbeatable and your teams could be the ones to pull off the upset with the talent that you have on the Shelby and Crest teams you got to catch them at the right time the beginning of the season, that the key right there before they jelled. Bishop Sullivan caught them the last game of the season last year in Virginia Beach,VA. and only lost 16/6 and Northeastern scrimmage Bishop Sullivan in their jamboree last season in Elizabeth City and gave them all they could handle. We had 28 kids from one public schools get an athletic scholarship one season and they weren't unbeatable, one of the kids did go to South Carolina on a football scholarship and started as RB and was very good. Some coaches don't care about the way IMG do things and some coaches does that the nature of the beast as one coach said to me football is football and it entail blocking and tackling and if you do that good and control the lines of scrimmage you have a good chance of winning the game.

I believe NC. has a transfer rule in place now. So if a kid that doesn't live in a 5-10 miles radius of your school and he's a good student/athletes then he cannot play for your team? How many kids have transferred into Shelby or Crest that live outside the 10miles radius you set up for IMG? Now you aren't even making sense when you bring in the New England Patriots into the conversation when we are talking about high school football. Do you think all the kids from Gorman,Bosco,Aquinas,etc are all local kids from the area and parents don't move to those area so their kids can attend the schools you mentioned above so they can have a better chance of getting an athletic scholarship and go to college and hopefully one day play pro ball. Man I don't beg for nothing all I do is ask, the coach might say yes and they might say no but if you don't ask you will never know would you? If IMG don't play high school football why is it that they don't go undefeated every year? There are a lot of regular public high schools that can play with IMG and beat them plus if the NCAA isn't knocking them then let the kids play I bet if you go to Shelby and Crest and do a survey of the kids and ask them do they want IMG I bet you that 100pct would say yes. Try it man and see for yourself don't take my word for it. The kids have more heart and confident in themselves than the majority of the coaches does. Peace my man I played a little ball in the old days myself and not your coach our coaches taught us to fear no teams because they put their pants on one leg at a time just like we does. We were taught and train different than you guys were.

If knowledge is the new money as you say then you dont have a nickel. If you think Bishop Gorman is getting their players strictly from Summerlin and West Vegas you have no clue. They actively recruit Socal and plenty other areas.

Man you don't know what you're missing if you just watch Shelby football there are a lot of good teams out there wouldn't you want to Shelby bring in a national ranked team that you hear about all the time on ESPN or read in a sports magazine?

Nope. Don't care about that at all.

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
I know I'm new on here, but I just felt compelled to throw my input in anyways. I interned at IMG a few years ago (Sports Therapist). Then I interned at 2 different colleges. One was a SOCON powerhouse and the other was a lower-tier ACC school. With that being said, in my opinion IMG had more of a college feel to it than the actual colleges I was at. If you've never seen their facilities and their program up close, then you just don't even know. What you hear and what you see are two different things. It's literally unreal. So much extravagance with so little restraint. With everything that I experienced there taken into context, I really don't even understand how IMG plays any sanctioned "high school games". I went to a public high school and IMG is anything but. It's more like a 24/7/365 job. They would beat any team in NC this year, easilyyy. As they should though. I don't have anything against them, the staff, or how they choose to do things down in Bradenton. But, by doing things the non-traditional way that they have chosen to do they have also chosen to exclude themselves from convos like this. All NC teams and other non-recruiting high school's have nothing to gain from playing IMG or teams like them. Period. It's like McGregor vs Mayweather. McGregor calling himself a "boxer" and thinking that he belongs in the same ring with Mayweather is ridiculous. Just like saying IMG is a "high school" team and should be on the same field as our NC high schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT