ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby Coach Wilbanks Question

SL I could not agree more. That is one of those sour grape post. Shelby roster numbers are always quite high compared to ADM numbers. It just suggest the participation level per the amount of students is significantly high and can create issues relative to playing time. Sorting out playing time for less skilled players when you have 57 on the roster according to Maxpreps would be difficult for any staff sort out.
What the original poster doesn't mention is the 23 Shelby seniors. They more than anyone are playing their last high school game and most likely their last football game ever. They have been through the grind 3-4 years.
Not a lot of thought put in to the original comment. Congratulation Shelby on another great season.
Raider,
First, I agreed with the original poster but also understand that sometimes playing time for all is not possible. JV’s brought up at end of the season should not expect playing time in a game. However, any kid that has given 4 years to the program should be considered for a few snaps once the game is secured. Just seems like the right thing to do if possible
On a side note:
What does roster #’s have to do with ADM and playing time? ‘Bout the dumbest comparison I ever heard.

And speaking of one of those senior players mentioned, I hope this finally ends that one Team Mom/Grandma’s reign of terror over the program. It’s past due. Her drama, near fights, and bashing of other people’s kids/players goes away.
Lol I don’t no what she gonna do without Shelby Football

Lol...Shelby High School is an all boys school except for the 5 girls on the Women's powerlifting team. Classic Cleveland County chicanery! :)

Are you stupid or just do not have good reading comprehension? My comment was only about the SENIORS that did not play in a blowout win.

Crest makes sure Burns kids get plenty of PT. Maybe Shelby needs to clue up?

Yall both should be very aware of the subs, as they got plenty of playing time against Crest and South Point.... :)

Cleveland County migration: Burns to Crest to Shelby. Like clockwork supported be a sun dial.

The senior argument is invalid. Football teaches life lessons, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Life's not fair. The same argument applies to "everybody gets a trophy" everybody got a ring, everybody contributed to the team in one way or another. In the real world as well, boss's teachers, coaches even overlook us common folk in the work place all the time. Is it fair? No, but besides stomping your foot like a pre-teen princess and pouting, nothing will change. Unless mommy and daddy donate 100,000 dollars to the program/school as a bribe.

And speaking of one of those senior players mentioned, I hope this finally ends that one Team Mom/Grandma’s reign of terror over the program. It’s past due. Her drama, near fights, and bashing of other people’s kids/players goes away.

Great point, I dont know whom you are speaking of but these are the issues that a Shelby HC has to battle that other programs dont. I know all programs have parent issues etc but I used to go and support some former kids of mine at their youth and middle school games at SHS and their parents were atrocious in the stands yelling at coaches to put "nookie" or Bebe" in and give them their reps. So I can only imagine the trickle down or the behind the scenes battles. Shelby doesnt have the issue of developing athletes cause these kids are born with it but the coaches face other battles mountain schools or less athletic schools dont face. The hardest part is keeping a tight ship and they have done that for a long time with the past 2 HCs.

It happens at almost every school. Mama, Daddy, Mamaw, Papaw, Uncle Dave, Aunt Susie or someone in the family ain't happy 'lil Jo Jo didn't get in the game or didn't get enough plays 'cause " Lord knows he's better than that other kid that's playing'. It's a hard job for coaches to coach the team and then worry about who didn't get in or get enough snaps so they don't get a phone call from the AD saying someone had complained about it. Coaches aren't perfect and with the exception of Knotts or Probst, I don't any of them think they are either. They make mistakes too and forget things.

I understand some frustration over it but my goodness, going on social media and blasting the coach is a little much in my opinion. It's just sad really that they can't just turn that into a teaching lesson and say "look son, life isn't fair, sometimes things just don't go your way but you will get a championship ring for your efforts in the games you did play in and practicing like a champion". Life goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT