ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby Coach Wilbanks Question

XChamp15

Jan 21, 2015
Can someone from the Shelby high coaching staff explain how you beat a team 34 to 0 in the state championship game and have seniors on the sideline that never get in the game? Kids that have dedicated their entire year to helping the Shelby program and you cannot find one series of downs late in the fourth quarter for those kids to say they played in a state championship game?

All I have ever heard about Coach Wilbanks is what an outstanding, Godly man he is. Seems he was more concerned with “winning big” than the young men on the sidelines.

With this philosophy I expect more defections from the program.

Can someone from the Shelby high coaching staff explain how you beat a team 34 to 0 in the state championship game and have seniors on the sideline that never get in the game? Kids that have dedicated their entire year to helping the Shelby program and you cannot find one series of downs late in the fourth quarter for those kids to say they played in a state championship game?

All I have ever heard about Coach Wilbanks is what an outstanding, Godly man he is. Seems he was more concerned with “winning big” than the young men on the sidelines.

With this philosophy I expect more defections from the program.

Interesting....we saw several players in the game in the 4th quarter that we had not seen much this year. We were checking the roster to see what class they were. #13 got several carries in the second half. Several 2nd and 3rd stringers in at DLine, defensive secondary and linebacker. A couple sophomores and freshmen from the JV team got in late in the game too. What exactly are you reaching for?

If this is true that’s irresponsible. Under those circumstances in the 4th qtr it’s someone on the staff’s job to simply check off the whole roster. I quit watching in the 1st qtr as I knew the outcome had already been decided. I hope this is fake news

If this is true that’s irresponsible. Under those circumstances in the 4th qtr it’s someone on the staff’s job to simply check off the whole roster. I quit watching in the 1st qtr as I knew the outcome had already been decided. I hope this is fake news

This is what happens in the media these days. Someone throws something out there, whether it is true or not, it gets passed around social media, and the sheep begin to believe it whether they fact check it or not. Don't fall for it Wiz. I am gonna try to watch the second half of the game tonight and I'll count how many go in the game.

Watch the post game press conference. Wilbanks hits on how important everyone on the team is even the scout team. He is a class act. I didn't really know how the team would respond when he was named head coach. I have candidly spoken with several players over this season at Thursday supper club and they have all had nothing but positive things to say about Wilbanks and that they were so excited when he was named the coach.

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
There were players that got in in 4th 14. Freshman and others i saw that got in...im not saying every backup played but there were numerous ones that got in

This is what happens in the media these days. Someone throws something out there, whether it is true or not, it gets passed around social media, and the sheep begin to believe it whether they fact check it or not. Don't fall for it Wiz.

My Lord?!! I agree with him/them.

#71 Jaxson Bowman. 5'11" Sr.
I spoke to a family member and his Grandfather posted on Facebook how disappointed he was.

“This is for my grandson Jaxson Bowman! I have watched you grow from day one. I have watched you play football since middle school all the way through a senior in high school. You have always given your best on the field or sideline supporting your team. I wished you would have got to play yesterday in your final championship game, I was hoping all seniors would have got to play yesterday because that’s going to be the last time a lot of you will ever step on a field again. But for some reason it was not meant to be. You supported your brothers all the way. There’s no words for me to tell you how proud you have made this old man feel. You are my grandson and you have made your family very proud of you!”

Any other comments Dynasty or Shelby Lion?

Yep I sure do

There is no conspiracy to "keep grandson" on the sidelines his senior year.. .this game was 20-0 with about 25-30 seconds left before the 4th quarter began... This kid is not the only kid that didn't play.. there are numerous kids that dont play on EVERY single team.... and I am 100% positive there are numerous mammas, daddies, and paw paws online fussing cause their kid didn't play their final game... or in a title game, go call them out

Shelby went up 27-0 with about five minutes to go in the game until Mitchell threw the pass for the final score.... this kids parents are mad he didn't get to play.. I completely understand it, but don't agree with your notion that our Coach should basically "be ashamed" he didnt play every single one of the what 90 players he has to choose from

Talk that garbage somewhere else... There were THOUSANDS of kids that didnt play in games during the season and I am willing to bet PLENTY from all other title games didnt either...

Be sure you adhere to the "lets give everyone a trophy" mentality and go call out the rest of the coaches for not playing all their players... I wonder if Salisbury let all theirs play since they were getting beat so bad???? I mean they didnt have a shot to come back so lets get every kid in the game cause its their last one... I bet there were a bunch over there that didnt see the field too

Mean old Salisbury Coach...

Hey Wizard

Since you basically agree with this nonsense, when Northeastern was up so big in the fourth did the Darkhorse coaches take out all the starters and let all the seniors finish the game??? If not its irresponsible man, he should be ashamed....

Mean old Weddington coach, team up by about 20 points in the fourth, and most if not all his starters were still in the game... That is irresponsible...He should be ashamed.... Dang mean ol Capone

And Poor Tarboro, East Surry was up 28 points late in the fourth, with their QB still throwing the ball.,,... I watched it, and they didn't empty the bench and put all the seniors in there.... Irresponsible... mean old Trent Lowman

I could keep going for every game but Ill stop there....

and before any of you think otherwise, my response would be the same if he posted this about any other coach....absolute garbage...

Last edited:
I hear a ton about playing time at every level. We have to teach our kids(I have 3) that they cant have everything all the time. If they maybe weren't blessed with athletic talents I'm sure there are things they are good at. We have to get away from this notion that everybody gets a trophy. Valuable lessons cam be learned from this type situation though. If these kids dont get to play but bust their tail trying their best. I personally believe it builds character and will make them stronger in other things they try to accomplish

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I am only talking about seniors not getting into their last high school football game. I have no problem with underclassmen not playing.

it’s a matter of respect to those seniors that have dedicated themselves to the program but are forgotten when a few plays in this game would have capped off his career on a positive note.

Good job trying to deflect Shelby Lion. If you have ever coached a youth team you might have a better understanding of my point.

SL....good responses!

Yeah...I bet it was tough to get everyone in the game. 1/4th of the males at Shelby high play football. Kinda absurd to think everyone of them would get in the game....but it appeared the coaching staff tried to get several in.

Funny how this guy takes one example and makes it true for all....another example of something that happens in today's social media.

One thing is for sure...#71 will get another ring in a few months...his second if he played last year too. That's two more than 99% of high school football players in the country.

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
I am only talking about seniors not getting into their last high school football game. I have no problem with underclassmen not playing.

it’s a matter of respect to those seniors that have dedicated themselves to the program but are forgotten when a few plays in this game would have capped off his career on a positive note.

Good job trying to deflect Shelby Lion. If you have ever coached a youth team you might have a better understanding of my point.

I know where you are coming from I really do but I dont subscribe to the notion of calling out a coach on a message board or facebook because and grandfather is unhappy his grandson did not get to play, but I understand the point about senior players in a sense.... I am not trying to deflect at all

Whether or not I Coached a Youth Program is irrelevant but I've seen how parents, grandparents, over zealous daddy ball coaches, and people that take that age level WAY TO SERIOUS, act.. I just think this is apples to oranges for the most part...... But I guess I am missing how Coaching a Youth Sport team or not is missing your point?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
They didnt get to play but they sure going get a ring....lol
Im sure in end the they. Will be happy...

And btw i know kids family personally..granddaddy was my neighbor at Steele Creek...it will be ok. I understand wanting a kid in at end...
But coach Wilbanks is a great guy and very fair....
Sure he meant no harm.

This is what happens in the media these days. Someone throws something out there, whether it is true or not, it gets passed around social media, and the sheep begin to believe it whether they fact check it or not. Don't fall for it Wiz. I am gonna try to watch the second half of the game tonight and I'll count how many go in the game.

Watch the post game press conference. Wilbanks hits on how important everyone on the team is even the scout team. He is a class act. I didn't really know how the team would respond when he was named head coach. I have candidly spoken with several players over this season at Thursday supper club and they have all had nothing but positive things to say about Wilbanks and that they were so excited when he was named the coach.
I'm not saying its true, but someone to post this claim is pretty strong. I believe the poster was not a new poster, he has a history, but I'm not familiar with him.
I'm also not familiar with the new coach. Where did he come from? History?

I'm not saying its true, but someone to post this claim is pretty strong. I believe the poster was not a new poster, he has a history, but I'm not familiar with him.
I'm also not familiar with the new coach. Where did he come from? History?
tell me about the Thursday supper club, that sounds interesting.

Hey Wizard

Since you basically agree with this nonsense, when Northeastern was up so big in the fourth did the Darkhorse coaches take out all the starters and let all the seniors finish the game??? If not its irresponsible man, he should be ashamed....

Mean old Weddington coach, team up by about 20 points in the fourth, and most if not all his starters were still in the game... That is irresponsible...He should be ashamed.... Dang mean ol Capone

And Poor Tarboro, East Surry was up 28 points late in the fourth, with their QB still throwing the ball.,,... I watched it, and they didn't empty the bench and put all the seniors in there.... Irresponsible... mean old Randy Lowman

I could keep going for every game but Ill stop there....

and before any of you think otherwise, my response would be the same if he posted this about any other coach....absolute garbage...

Shelby Lion,get a grip; act like your team has won a championship before and enjoy it. I haven't agreed on anything. I'm just questioning what the poster was saying. As to who our coach plays, its never been an issue I've ever heard of any year. Our new coach last year and this year generally plays most players. There were people coming in and out of the game the whole game. Our game with Northeastern was actually 14-8 at one point in the 4th qtr. Our guys were trying to score until the last second.

Last edited:
SL....good responses!

Yeah...I bet it was tough to get everyone in the game. 1/4th of the males at Shelby high play football. Kinda absurd to think everyone of them would get in the game....but it appeared the coaching staff tried to get several in.

I heard that out of Shelby High’s ADM of 827, around 600 or so of those students are male. Any truth to that?

Reactions: Crestuff
Do you know that for a fact? I’m not accusing Shelby of anything or trying to start an argument. Just heard that this weekend and thought it was interesting.

So one kids grandparent complains he didnt get to play and now our coach is bad? I saw several kids get in the 4th quarter! Several who didn't play much the entire year. Even the announcers mentioned they saw some new kids in on the live broadcast. Wilbanks cant play everyone, that's impossible. As mentioned that state championship ring will be a lifetime of memories! Someone's over reacting here...

Last edited:
Yeah I’m sure he wouldn’t trade his two rings and the bond with his brothers for anything. Especially when he looks back on it years from now. A lot of times the kids are perfectly happy and the parents are still upset because their pride gets in the way.

Its a no win for a Coach. With 90 players and the the overwhelming feeling of winning a title he was probably over looked on accident. I have seen backups go to the Coach ...Hey put me in....some just stand back and observe. Professionally, I deal with adults on Meth and all sorts of other things but i have NEVER been cussed out and threatened like i was when i coached youth sports because little Johnny from Casar didnt get to play enough.. If the kid gets a play then its "just one play. He should have gotten two."

Somebody grandpa is a softie which has probably trickled down! In my thinking if you are a senior on the bench it’s your fault! It’s on player to earn playing time not for coach to hear sob stories and let you play! I’m willing to bet my bottom dollar Shelby hasn’t won 6-7 by just letting anyone on the field!

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
57 I believe and brought up JVs for the playoffs.
Thanks. That number makes sense and so does the playoff number.

I remember a few years ago playing against a team that carried 70 plus on both JV and varsity. In spite of that, they played several players in both games under the eight quarter rule. I talked with a parent who indicated that coaches met with players and parents at the first of each season. The gist of the meeting was that the school would provide a uniform for all players, but that they acknowledged that many players would never see the field.

While I understand that kids want to associate with a winning program, that approach makes little sense to me. By the way, the other team beat my school with running clocks in both games.....with the same kids scoring in both games under the eight quarter rule.

Reactions: SHS LION
It would have been a nice gesture on the coaches part to make sure all seniors got a few snaps especially with the score being what it was. He made sure seniors Fuller, Bess and Mitchell, stayed in game even though the game was decided. Was surprised Fuller got some late carries instead of Phillips.

[QUOTE="Justafan56, post: 621629, memberWas surprised Fuller got some late carries instead of Phillips.[/QUOTE]
You’re damn right about that! I was beyond aggravated to see Phillips, our leading rusher, get so few carries, then to see Fuller out there being Twinkle Toes on a few carries..... Man! It was obvious that the coach was looking out for the senior in that instance. No.13, our third runningback, seemed to have gotten more carries than Phillips, too. He’s a senior as well.

Last edited:
And speaking of one of those senior players mentioned, I hope this finally ends that one Team Mom/Grandma’s reign of terror over the program. It’s past due. Her drama, near fights, and bashing of other people’s kids/players goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Thanks. That number makes sense and so does the playoff number.

I remember a few years ago playing against a team that carried 70 plus on both JV and varsity. In spite of that, they played several players in both games under the eight quarter rule. I talked with a parent who indicated that coaches met with players and parents at the first of each season. The gist of the meeting was that the school would provide a uniform for all players, but that they acknowledged that many players would never see the field.

While I understand that kids want to associate with a winning program, that approach makes little sense to me. By the way, the other team beat my school with running clocks in both games.....with the same kids scoring in both games under the eight quarter rule.

Who did you play, I'm curious?

^ What he said

Original post absolute garbage ...

SL I could not agree more. That is one of those sour grape post. Shelby roster numbers are always quite high compared to ADM numbers. It just suggest the participation level per the amount of students is significantly high and can create issues relative to playing time. Sorting out playing time for less skilled players when you have 57 on the roster according to Maxpreps would be difficult for any staff sort out.
What the original poster doesn't mention is the 23 Shelby seniors. They more than anyone are playing their last high school game and most likely their last football game ever. They have been through the grind 3-4 years.
Not a lot of thought put in to the original comment. Congratulation Shelby on another great season.

Reactions: SHS LION
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT