ADVERTISEMENT

Schools that went to turf the last five years?

btango

Nov 5, 2003
What schools have went to artificial turf on their football stadiums the last five or so seasons. Any in your area or that you know of would be appreciated.

Allegheny is getting it I believe. They got some of that money good ole Cherokee county gave up because they can't get along.

Reactions: btango
I take it that any new high school will have turf. Would that be a correct statement

Turf looks great year round but natural grass is probably better to play on.

I’d prefer turf as I know what kind of surface condition I’m gonna be playing on regardless of weather week in and week out.

I feel like we didn’t have a choice though
Did you see the fight? Rolly was trash tonight, and the ref was even more trash. Wanted to give Rolly an honest look tonight, and he was terrible. He was definitely losing, before that ridiculous stoppage. Shouldn’t even be awarded the belt. Should make them run it back. Regardless, Rolly actually lost more than he gained tonight.

Did you see the fight? Rolly was trash tonight, and the ref was even more trash. Wanted to give Rolly an honest look tonight, and he was terrible. He was definitely losing, before that ridiculous stoppage. Shouldn’t even be awarded the belt. Should make them run it back. Regardless, Rolly actually lost more than he gained tonight.

Yeah that made boxing look bad tonight. The fight was actually getting interesting, as I felt rolly could have gotten a legit stoppage. Anyway big ppv next week.

I do agree, that did more bad than good for rolly

Reactions: Lion Attack
To me, it makes financial sense to have turf fields. While there tends to be a huge up-front cost, the fields eventually pay for themselves, in addition to being aesthetically pleasing.

Reactions: btango
To me, it makes financial sense to have turf fields. While there tends to be a huge up-front cost, the fields eventually pay for themselves, in addition to being aesthetically pleasing.
Turf fields cost about a million dollars and have a life expectancy of about ten years. There is still some maintenance required. Unless there are weather issues where you are, have ability to play many games, or have multiple fields to attract tournaments, the cost savings won’t be there. That really isn reason enough to do it.

True, but it’s beginning to seem as if the players are more prone to injuries on artificial turf.
Take those studies with a grain of salt. Most of those studies are done at much higher level than the average HS, and those programs whether college or professional have nearly infinite resources to invest in and the upkeep of natural grass fields and therefore in comparison, probably seem safer. The average HS is practicing on a glorified pasture, and the average HS game field after football, youth football, middle school football, soccer, etc, have had their seasons, is in less than ideal condition and volatile to the weather. Artificial turf at the HS level gives a better practice surface and a consistent game surface regardless of use or weather or time of year. I would be willing to bet that injuries are lower at the average HS after the transition to turf. I remember our practice field in HS by early September was worn down to the dirt and as hard as asphalt. We all ended up with shin splints and tendonitis by running on that surface in cleats. That is where turf shines, when resources to maintain a top tier grass surface is limited yet still subject to high usage, turf is much more practical.

Last edited:
Turf fields cost about a million dollars and have a life expectancy of about ten years. There is still some maintenance required. Unless there are weather issues where you are, have ability to play many games, or have multiple fields to attract tournaments, the cost savings won’t be there. That really isn reason enough to do it.
If you were to maintain your grass field to the standard of a turf field, apples to apples, it would cost much more money over time. Also consider that these HS's are practicing on their turf fields, so multiply your grass maintenance cost by 2 fields if you're trying paint an accurate picture of costs. There's also the irrigation that comes with a grass field. You get the picture.

Now if you're just talking about the lowest possible cost, then sure but understand if that's the case, you're not comparing the quality of the 2 fields because turf is much nicer than 90% of the average grass field at the HS level.

I just saw Lincolnton's field on their Twitter page, Lincolnton Wolves Football. Gorgeous field and looks like they're laying the track as well.

Reactions: Lincolnton
Turf fields cost about a million dollars and have a life expectancy of about ten years.
not exactly true. Richlands, VA put in turf 15 years ago. I talked to the AD at the 10 year mark, and he told me most of the field was still in good shape, but some parts had to be replaced after about 5 years. It's basically HUGE sewn-together carpet strips, and "patching" wasn't a problem.

Contrary to what one may think, turf fields do not totally eliminate the risk of fire ants. Even turf fields need a quality and consistent fire ant treatment program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT