ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Round 3 & 4 scores- 1A-4A

3rd Rd Matchups
1A West
8-East Wilkes at 1-East Surry
5-Polk Co. at 4-Lincoln Charter
11-Cherryville at 3-Uwharrie Charter
7-Pine Lake Prep at 2-Murphy
-Observations: Every team with a 1st Rd bye made it to 3rd Rd except Chatham Central

1A East
16-Manteo at 9-Falls Lake Academy
5-Rosewood at 4-Riverside
6-West Columbus at 3-Perquimans Co.
10-John A. Holmes at 2-Bear Grass Charter
-Observations: Manteo has been a charter school killer in the 1st two rounds, tough test ahead with Falls Lake to keep that streak alive...all of these games could get very interesting

2A West
24-Mount Pleasant at 1-North Lincoln
5-Forbush at 4-Smoky Mountain
22-Salisbury at 3-North Davidson
10-Ledford at 2-Rutherfordton-Spindale Central
-Observations: Mt Pleasant has won two on the road, toughest test yet Tuesday though, bottom half of the bracket is a do-over of the Central Carolina Conference Tournament with RS Ce. traded in for West Davidson

2A East
9-NC Sch. of Sci. & Math. at 1-Whiteville
12-Providence Grove at 4-South Granville
6-Midway at 3-Randleman
10-West Craven at 2-North Lenoir
-Observations: No one expects NCSSM to compete with Whiteville, but at the same time, no one expected them to get by SWE in the first round...PG & SG looks like a great pitching matchup and one would expect a low scoring game, so watch it turn into a slugfest...Midway and Randleman are two of those programs with a lot of success the past decade or so, like somebody alluded to earlier, those Tigers are tough to beat, especially at their place...WC & NL is the always interesting round three between conference opponents, NL won twice in the regular season to get to host this game, Can they do it again?

3A West
8-Alexander Central at 1-Crest
5-Jesse C. Carson at 4-Marvin Ridge
6-Southwest Guilford at 3-A.C. Reynolds
10-T.C. Roberson at 2-Southeast Guilford
-Observations: Almost all of these teams were "supposed" to be here based on seeds, only missing JMR, who lost to TCR 15-10...I guess both teams were out of pitching, slate full of intriguing matchups, as one would expect in 3rd Rd

3A East
8-West Carteret at 1-New Hanover Co.
5-Ralph L. Fike at 4-Chapel Hill
6-Terry Sanford at 3-Western Alamance
26-Union Pines at 15-Western Harnett
-Shocking to not see a team from Pitt Co. still alive, not only here in 3A, but other classes too, one of those double digit seeds who took out Rose/Conley will be in the 4th Rd

4A West
8-Ardrey Kell at 1-Providence
13-West Forsyth at 5-South Caldwell
14-South Mecklenburg at 11-Ronald Reagan
10-Hickory Ridge at 2-East Forsyth

4A East
17-Middle Creek at 9-Fuquay-Varina
12-Jesse O. Sanderson at 4-Charles E. Jordan
14-Garner at 6-New Bern
15-Apex at 7-Pine Forest
-Observations: I thought having a 1st Rd bye was supposed to be an advantage...look at the seeds in the 4A brackets though...of the 16 still alive, only 7 had a 1st Rd bye...#1,2,3,5,8 in the East are gone...#3,4,6,7 in the West are gone, many teams hosting a 3rd Rd game that many expected to not even be still playing in the 3rd Rd

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Rain could be very problematic tues-sat, esp in wnc. I hope it doesnt create a scheduling nightmare.

Reactions: mbdfan
Rain could be very problematic tues-sat, esp in wnc. I hope it doesnt create a scheduling nightmare.
Murphy will be lucky to get their game in tomorrow, a 4th round game would be super problematic.

Randleman 7 Midway 0
But now they have to leave the friendly confines of home field...

South Granville 12 Providence Grove 2

North Lenoir 3 West Craven 1
Third time N Lenoir has beaten W Craven in three games but Maxpreps has had them ranked lower all year?

Guess "formula" has some kinks.

I took in the Western Alamance / Terry sanford game. 5 4,Terry Sanford. Great game. WA couldn't field bunts.

Randleman 7 Midway 0
But now they have to leave the friendly confines of home field...

South Granville 12 Providence Grove 2

North Lenoir 3 West Craven 1
Third time N Lenoir has beaten W Craven in three games but Maxpreps has had them ranked lower all year?

Guess "formula" has some kinks.

West Craven had the better record overall so I'm not sure who North Lenoir's losses were to. That's probably the reason. It was a good game tonight. Good pitching by both teams. #24 for the Hawks hit a towering homerun that landed on top of the school. Congrats to North Lenoir. Hope they can win out!

Reactions: thekidd12
West Craven had the better record overall so I'm not sure who North Lenoir's losses were to. That's probably the reason. It was a good game tonight. Good pitching by both teams. #24 for the Hawks hit a towering homerun that landed on top of the school. Congrats to North Lenoir. Hope they can win out!
I am not trying to put West Craven down at all. I am sure they are a fine baseball team.

I believe both teams had the same amount of losses coming into tonight's game. West Craven had more wins because they played two more games I think. My problem is with Maxpreps rankings. West Craven may have had more wins but 2 of their 5 losses were to North Lenoir who finished ahead of them in conference. And yet rankings have West higher.

In the end rankings do not matter as it is settled on field of play. Just irritates me the power their computer has over North Carolina playoffs.

3rd Rd Scores
1A West
1-East Surry over 8-East Wilkes 6-2
4-Lincoln Charter over 5-Polk Co. 2-1 (8 innings)
3-Uwharrie Charter over 11-Cherryville 7-0
2-Murphy over 7-Pine Lake Prep 11-1

1A East
9-Falls Lake Academy over 16-Manteo 5-2
4-Riverside over 5-Rosewood 3-2 (9 innings)
6-West Columbus over 3-Perquimans Co. 10-0
2-Bear Grass Charter over 10-John A. Holmes 7-4

2A West
1-North Lincoln over 24-Mount Pleasant 9-5
4-Smoky Mountain over 5-Forbush 7-1
3-North Davidson over 22-Salisbury 5-1
10-Ledford over 2-Rutherfordton-Spindale Central 2-1

2A East
1-Whiteville over 9-NC Sch. of Sci. & Math. 16-0
4-South Granville over 12-Providence Grove 12-2
3-Randleman over 6-Midway 7-0
2-North Lenoir over 10-West Craven 3-1

3A West
1-Crest over 8-Alexander Central 2-1
5-Jesse C. Carson over 4-Marvin Ridge 4-0
3-A.C. Reynolds over 6-Southwest Guilford 6-2
10-T.C. Roberson over 2-Southeast Guilford 4-1

3A East
1-New Hanover Co. over 8-West Carteret 7-0
4-Chapel Hill over 5-Ralph L. Fike 3-2
6-Terry Sanford over 3-Western Alamance 5-4
26-Union Pines over 15-Western Harnett 2-1

4A West
8-Ardrey Kell over 1-Providence 4-0
13-West Forsyth over 5-South Caldwell 2-0
11-Ronald Reagan over 14-South Mecklenburg 3-0
2-East Forsyth over 10-Hickory Ridge 4-2

4A East
9-Fuquay-Varina over 17-Middle Creek 3-2
12-Jesse O. Sanderson over 4-Charles E. Jordan 16-7
14-Garner over 6-New Bern 8-6
15-Apex over 7-Pine Forest 8-1

4th Rd Matchups (Last Round of Single Elimination)
1A West
4-Lincoln Charter at 1-East Surry
3-Uwharrie Charter at 2-Murphy

1A East
9-Falls Lake Academy at 4-Riverside
6-West Columbus at 2-Bear Grass Charter

2A West
4-Smoky Mountain at 1-North Lincoln
10-Ledford at 3-North Davidson

2A East
4-South Granville at 1-Whiteville
3-Randleman at 2-North Lenoir

3A West
5-Jesse C. Carson at 1-Crest
10-T.C. Roberson at 3-A.C. Reynolds

3A East
4-Chapel Hill at 1-New Hanover Co.
26-Union Pines at 6-Terry Sanford

4A West
13-West Forsyth at 8-Ardrey Kell
11-Ronald Reagan at 2-East Forsyth

4A East
12-Sanderson at 9-Fuquay-Varina
15-Apex at 14-Garner

Last edited:
I am not trying to put West Craven down at all. I am sure they are a fine baseball team.

I believe both teams had the same amount of losses coming into tonight's game. West Craven had more wins because they played two more games I think. My problem is with Maxpreps rankings. West Craven may have had more wins but 2 of their 5 losses were to North Lenoir who finished ahead of them in conference. And yet rankings have West higher.

In the end rankings do not matter as it is settled on field of play. Just irritates me the power their computer has over North Carolina playoffs.

Oh I agree with you. I have not looked at NL's schedule and their losses but i would think it may be the reason.

Otis4411....was thinking we might get a chance to cross paths again after South Granville and West Craven played each other in the playoffs in football and basketball....heard the Eagles had quite a hitting team and the somehow North Lenoir figured out what few others could in how to get them out more consistently, or at least not give up big innings, good luck next year, email me at tarheel61581@yahoo.com if you get a chance

Oh I agree with you. I have not looked at NL's schedule and their losses but i would think it may be the reason.
OK raining here so on computer with a little time.

North Lenoir lost 5 games before playoffs started:
CB Aycock twice 3A ranked 26 by Maxpreps (Rankings are in state not by classification)
Southern Wayne 3A ranked 78
Washington 2A ranked 72
Greene Central 2A ranked 108

West Craven lost 5 games before playoffs:
North Lenoir 2A TWICE ranked 29
South Central 4A ranked 50
New Bern 4A ranked 54
South Lenoir 2A ranked 140

Since Maxpreps claims classifications have nothing to do with rankings I cannot understand how West Craven is higher when N Lenoir beat them twice in conference and finished in first place.

Again both teams are very good, 3rd round, with one into 4th. Problem is with the formula.

Reactions: Otis4411
4A West has 3 CPC teams in the final 4. I think that says a lot about the CPC and how tough that conference really is! Congrats to West Forsyth, Reagan, and East Forsyth for getting to the 4th round!
4A East also has three teams from same conference in the 4th Rd with Fuquay-Varina, Apex, and Garner...not to mention that FV just beat Middle Creek in 3rd Rd (from the same league) AND MC beat Holly Springs in 2nd Rd, who was the 1 seed in 4A East....I didn't do 4A bracketology but I can't figure out how one league got 5 teams in the playoffs in a bracket that only takes 48 teams total....in 1A with 48, there were MANY leagues that only got 3 teams in instead of the usual 4 that you see in 2A & 3A with 64 total playoff berths

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
4A East also has three teams from same conference in the 4th Rd with Fuquay-Varina, Apex, and Garner...not to mention that FV just beat Middle Creek in 3rd Rd (from the same league) AND MC beat Holly Springs in 2nd Rd, who was the 1 seed in 4A East....I didn't do 4A bracketology but I can't figure out how one league got 5 teams in the playoffs in a bracket that only takes 48 teams total....in 1A with 48, there were MANY leagues that only got 3 teams in instead of the usual 4 that you see in 2A & 3A with 64 total playoff berths
"Super secret sauce" effect?

Apex finished 5th in 6 team South Wake conference with 4-6 record. Two losses outside of conference were to 4A Pinecrest ranked 48 and 3A Chapel Hill ranked 17.

Finished 5th and in?

That ain't right even if they are in 4th round.

thekidd you are right..there were I think 2 or 3 5 seeds that made the 4A playoffs and Apex was the first 5 seed in because of their 15 ranking in maxpreps. Looks like the "super secret sauce" was right about them

In 4A, all 1-4 seeds were in the playoffs and then 2-3 5 seeds got in and those 5 seeds had very high maxpreps rankings.

Can anyone give a little insight on Uwharrie? Looking at their roster, looks to be a very young team. They took Murphy to extra innings last year and had them on the ropes several times.

thekidd you are right..there were I think 2 or 3 5 seeds that made the 4A playoffs and Apex was the first 5 seed in because of their 15 ranking in maxpreps. Looks like the "super secret sauce" was right about them

In 4A, all 1-4 seeds were in the playoffs and then 2-3 5 seeds got in and those 5 seeds had very high maxpreps rankings.
Rankings may have been right but to me that is similar to a couple of years ago in NCAA. Syracuse made a run to final four. Should have never been in the tournament in a lot of people's opinions. Got good draws and played over their heads. Not saying Apex is not a good team but finished fifth!

Can anyone give a little insight on Uwharrie? Looking at their roster, looks to be a very young team. They took Murphy to extra innings last year and had them on the ropes several times.
Have several good upper classmen. Wheatmore's number one pitcher going into this year. Three young men, one senior and two juniors, who are good gloves as well as hitters, who probably would be starters at ER. One who would start at PG. Not trying to be snarky just saying several would be 2A starters.

Have several good upper classmen. Wheatmore's number one pitcher going into this year. Three young men, one senior and two juniors, who are good gloves as well as hitters, who probably would be starters at ER. One who would start at PG. Not trying to be snarky just saying several would be 2A starters.
Yes, I believe their coach had a lot of success at Randleman, including winning a state championship not too long ago, if I'm thinking of the same person

Eagles/Trojans13 looking at playoffs something really jumps out. Why in the upper classifications are there more upsets?

In 1A and 2A except for 2 teams and the result of Ledford/RS Central and Ledford's seed is LOW, all the 1-4 seeds are still playing. Only half of top seeds left in 3A and ONE #2 East Forsyth in 4A?

Just looks weird. And fine job again by your team.

Thanks! Should be a good game.

Thanks! Should be a good game.
You are welcome. One thing and have not heard how he is doing today. The 3rd baseman for Uwharrie went down with what may have been a knee injury last night. He is one of their main hitters and hope it is not serious.

On a side note at beginning of season I made the following predictions:

Eastern Randolph 6-6 in conference, maybe state playoffs (Nailed it)

Providence Grove challenge Randleman 3rd round exit state (Yep)

Randleman ugh fourth round exit (Still do be determined)

Uwharrie fourth round exit (See above)

Hope it is a good game.

Reactions: tarheelg
I think a lot of the 3A/4A upsets involve match ups and how you scheduled during the year. Most 3A/4A teams have one dominant arm and on any given day, that dominant arm can beat anyone. Also, you have some teams that just match up well against others and get hot at the right time. Confidence plays a big factor this time of year.

Thank you for your kind words as well!

I think a lot of the 3A/4A upsets involve match ups and how you scheduled during the year. Most 3A/4A teams have one dominant arm and on any given day, that dominant arm can beat anyone. Also, you have some teams that just match up well against others and get hot at the right time. Confidence plays a big factor this time of year.

Thank you for your kind words as well!
I agree, but would also add this is also very often the case in 1A & 2A as well....in 2015 there were two huge first round upsets in 2A with a D1 pitcher on an otherwise underachieving; below average team going to work and helping his team shock the world, with #32 Huss (at the time 5-17 record) beating #1 West Stanly (23-3)...same year, #24 Jordan-Matthews (came in 6-17) beat #9 Bunn (came in 19-2)....then in 2016 #32 Dixon (9-15) beat #1 North Johnston (20-2)....of course like you were alluding to, very often these records and seeds can be deceiving based on strength of schedule, strength of conference, etc....in one of those year in 1A, West Columbus had an unimpressive record, but they were in the conference with Whiteville, Fairmont, South Columbus, etc. and was seeded toward the bottom of the 1A bracket and went all the way to the regional finals where they lost two more games to Whiteville

See I would have thought the reason for more upsets in higher classifications would have been due to depth of pitching staffs. The #2 or #3 being almost as good as #1. In 1A/2A many times, as tarheelg pointed out, once you get past #1 there is often a big dropoff.

And it's complicated even more now that pitch counts are used not only out of common sense on keeping a guy out, or not letting him go too long, but mandated by rule....A deep pitching staff, for any school in any class, is like gold this time of year, especially when you get really deep in the playoffs into the best of three series....coaches that have a huge dropoff between the ace and the next best option may have a tough time all season, but not as much if you play a round robin conference schedule, and the weather cooperates and you can set up your pitching the way you want to maximize your chances of finishing toward the top of the league, whether it's throwing your ace against the middle of the conference to take your best chance at a win, and throwing whole staff for a time through the order against the top of the league, or throwing your ace against the best team or two in the conference and trusting your other guys to throw strikes against the middle and bottom to secure the wins you should get...then playoff time rolls around, and you occasionally might see a lucky draw in the bracket that allows you to save somebody and get an opponent you think you can beat with your best available option not starting, in any of the single elimination rounds...it's a sort of paradox, you want to save this guy to pitch two days later, but first you have to win today....you have to win today, but you know you're toast in the next game against that team if this guy can't pitch...the teams with 2 or 3 or 4 guys they trust to throw strikes in big spots are the ones that have a tremendous advantage over the ones with a big, big dropoff....sometimes those teams with 1 dominant arm and nobody else can make it to the 3rd Rd, but chances are, by then, whoever you're playing against also has somebody just as good and you might get a pitchers duel....OR....you got away with saving your ace in the 1st Rd and used him (and maybe your #2) to win in the 2nd Rd, then you get into the 3rd Rd and see the other team's ace and everybody you have available hasn't pitched in a meaningful spot all year or struck out anybody on a team with a winning record....and of course with all that said, you can have your best pitcher throw the game of his life and still lose 1-0 or 2-1 or 3-2...you still have to hit and score some runs

And for what it's worth, two years ago (the last season before pitch count officially mattered), I saw much of the 3A state finals series between Marvin Ridge and Topsail....both of those teams had 4 or 5, maybe 6 guys that could bring it with nice velocity, good off-speed stuff, and the series went three games....it was the 6th or 7th inning of Game 3 before it felt like either team had that 'out of pitching' look....I was in the park with South Granville, facing East Rutherford in the 2A finals, and that series turned into an exception to the rule on pitching depth...ER had one guy that was dominant....he went the distance in game 1, throwing between 90-100 pitches and getting the win, then came back the next day to close out Game 3 and threw another 55-60 or so...I think most would agree that SG had a deeper pitching staff that year (2 D1 commits, 2 D2 commits, a JuCo commit) but East Rutherford's ability to hit those usually dominant pitchers proved superior that weekend to win 2 out of 3

The current weather situation of rain and flood conditions (especially in Western NC) is going to create a possible nightmare where 4th Rd games may not get finished until Monday/Tuesday of next week, then follow that up with best 2 of 3 having to be completed by Saturday. Looks like pitching depth will definitely have to show itself in the coming week for those looking to advance to the state finals.

Reactions: tarheelg
And for what it's worth, two years ago (the last season before pitch count officially mattered), I saw much of the 3A state finals series between Marvin Ridge and Topsail....both of those teams had 4 or 5, maybe 6 guys that could bring it with nice velocity, good off-speed stuff, and the series went three games....it was the 6th or 7th inning of Game 3 before it felt like either team had that 'out of pitching' look....I was in the park with South Granville, facing East Rutherford in the 2A finals, and that series turned into an exception to the rule on pitching depth...ER had one guy that was dominant....he went the distance in game 1, throwing between 90-100 pitches and getting the win, then came back the next day to close out Game 3 and threw another 55-60 or so...I think most would agree that SG had a deeper pitching staff that year (2 D1 commits, 2 D2 commits, a JuCo commit) but East Rutherford's ability to hit those usually dominant pitchers proved superior that weekend to win 2 out of 3
Even though we split with them in the regular season Ledford's pitching depth is real scary in 2 outta 3 scenario. 4 top notch pitchers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT