ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman in search of a Football Coach

Mid-state 3A is one of, if not the toughest conferences in the state. 3 schools in the top 20 last year only because Northern Guilford had a down year. (and you add 4A Persons) Throw in the fact that the county makes you open up vs. Reidsville. You could have the best team ever in McMichael history and still only be .500..

I mean not downing rosman but it's not the 90s rosman and there isn't much in the town. Seems like a backwards step for sure

Welcome to the board, but you will not discuss a coach in the way you did. If you choose to come back be positive or don't come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
.[/QUOTE]
To which biggest and best athletes are you referring?(please list them) And, for being scared of expectations that is so far from the truth I won't even dignify it with a response.

Reactions: lpdsftbll
Wow that is a eye opener on McM, I have good things about Stack. Welp its always a shame when coaches do not pay attention to their JV

As for the JV comment... They lost 4 starters in the second game. 1 at Rockingham and 1 vs. East Guilford. Tailgate Tuesdays no one showed up after the first one. The booster club was losing $ providing hot dogs for 10 people.. say whatever you want they are in a much better place now then when he got there. I'll see...

.[/QUOTE]

You certainly speak as though you are on the outside looking in at McMichael. When a new coach comes to a place and tries to change the culture that has been there for years, and there is little support in the school and very little to NO support in the community, you can't blame the guy for choosing to walk away. When trying to implement community events like the Tuesday night tailgate, and no one shows up for support, you can't hold those events any longer.

I realize you are upset to be losing such a great coach, but you should realize that there are 2 sides to every story. For you to feel the coach "checked out" before the season was even over, was the same coach who happen to attend every single JV game (on the sidelines), but left the coaching up to the Head JV Coach. He's also the guy who helped re-vamp the youth program in town. The Phoenix have won games in the past 3 years under Stack that they never would have won otherwise, including being "in" every single game they played in. Most games he out-coached and out-schemed other teams.

Rosman is a great place! Instead of trying to make him out to be a bad guy, you should be happy for him and the opportunity he has for him and his family. It's a great community who are ready and willing to help him succeed further.

MuchadoaboutStack, why wouldn't you dignify with a response? My opinion wasn't about you (or was it?), and it was simply one man's opinion being offered to offset your opinion of Stack being the next Dabo Swinney of 1A. I guess I should have not said anything and just waited for your 30 on 30 video production. I really didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

There's always 2 sides of every story, and if everything was perfect in Western Rockingham County, why would he be leaving?[/
for the record I'm not Stack. I'm sure he has much more important things to do than post on a message board

To which biggest and best athletes are you referring?(please list them) And, for being scared of expectations that is so far from the truth I won't even dignify it with a response.[/QUOTE]

Much, I just edited out his post, nothing toward you!

You certainly speak as though you are on the outside looking in at McMichael. When a new coach comes to a place and tries to change the culture that has been there for years, and there is little support in the school and very little to NO support in the community, you can't blame the guy for choosing to walk away. When trying to implement community events like the Tuesday night tailgate, and no one shows up for support, you can't hold those events any longer.

I realize you are upset to be losing such a great coach, but you should realize that there are 2 sides to every story. For you to feel the coach "checked out" before the season was even over, was the same coach who happen to attend every single JV game (on the sidelines), but left the coaching up to the Head JV Coach. He's also the guy who helped re-vamp the youth program in town. The Phoenix have won games in the past 3 years under Stack that they never would have won otherwise, including being "in" every single game they played in. Most games he out-coached and out-schemed other teams.

Rosman is a great place! Instead of trying to make him out to be a bad guy, you should be happy for him and the opportunity he has for him and his family. It's a great community who are ready and willing to help him succeed further.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say in 1st paragraph 100%, but you can't have it both ways. He can't be touted as a community leader and changing the culture and then defended by saying he had no support in the school and community.

I don't think anyone is trying to make him out to be a bad guy, just bringing some reality to the situation Rosman is getting into. Did you read the Muchado's 12 point bulletin on how Stack was the greatest coach in the State under 35? Can you acknowledge how bad it is to set those expectations for him / their program?

He's a good coach with good ideas. I do wish him well. Sorry my direct language came across harsher than I meant.

Last edited:
It may have caused division between parents, but only because people don't like or even accept change. A high school football program can be even more successful if it starts from the bottom (the youngest players playing). There are plenty of other successful youth programs around that area, which all took time (more than 1 year) to develop. Change is never easy, but it's inevitable.

I imagine that Muchado is extremely excited for Stack's arrival (as well as, he too, is entitled to have an opinion). Stack's passion and love for the game, his new ideas to bring to a program, his knowledge of x's and o's make him an asset to any school that he coaches at. He's a GREAT coach with GREAT ideas.. Don't count him out just yet!

Reactions: Muchadoaboutnothin
All hyperbole aside... I really think Stack is a great coach. I understand some may be upset that he is leaving and some are up set because little Johnny didn't play or play his rec league all star position but, that's the nature of the beast. McMichael has come a long way in the three years he was there. I hope, as I know he does that they only continue to build upon that success. I do agree that he is leaving a year to early but, you can't begrudge any one for wanting to move to the mountains. It isn't like you can tell a school lets wait till next year as I think I can win this year. From my understanding the feeder school hasn't won a game in over ten years. So, I'm not sure what future there is for wins in that area. I'm not sure if it's a upgrade in terms of football but, I know it is from a community support aspect. I'm not knocking the McMichael fans but it is evident just from the number of posts in the last couple of years on this site as well as Carolina preps. I can't find one post about Mcmichael football that not about Reidsville(20 total posts excluding today) Now, they are mentioned every now and then but never a thread solely pertaining to them. Rosman has 105 excluding today. I think he'll love it there.... From my experience you seldom regret taking opportunities, but often regret not taking those opportunities.

First off, congratulations to Coach Stack, and look forward to meeting him this friday at the Greet and Meet at Silversteen Stadium at around 5:30pm, and I like the idea of a Tailgate Tuesday, and will be interested to see how that all works....

This situation reminds me somewhat of when Coach Manuel first came to town....He was an energetic young coach too, and kids just gravitated to the football program because of him, and I was one of those kids....We had a lot of first year players that first season who had never played varsity football until Coach Manuel came to Rosman, and he set in motion an energy among the student body that carried well beyond his years at Rosman...We won a conference title, and made the playoffs in his first year, and NOBODY expected that to happen, so anything is possible with the right mind set among the student atheletes and their fans.....Can Coach Stack promote that same kind of enthusiasm, and re-energize the student body to the point that Manuel did back then?.....I don't know, but I do know that what I've read so far is very encouraging, and he seems to be the right hire at the right time for the Tigers.....I don't expect any miracles in his first year on the job, and I don't think a lot of Tiger fans do either, but what most of us want to see is kids playing with purpose, desire and competitiveness for 4 quarters.....If that happens, the wins will eventually come....

The SMC is a tough row to hoe as they say because it is loaded with tradition and great coaching, and it's hard to compete some years with the likes of Murphy and Swain since they do have all that tradition along with more kids to choose from than my Tigers but if we can compete with the other 4 conference members who have similar enrollment numbers to ourselves on a yearly basis, and win more than our share of some of those games; Then, I think a lot of folks would be very happy....Robbinsville is able to do that nowadays on an annual basis since the return of Dee Walsh, and they do have that tradition that is unmatched by any other 1A school in the state, which is a draw for youngsters in an of itself....There was a time back in those early 80's when Rosman went toe to toe with the Black Knights,the Bulldogs and the Maroondevils coming up a little short of winning a few state titles themselves, and the games were always contested into the 4th quarter back then, and teams dreaded coming to Rosman to play because they knew that it was going to be a battle right down to the end of the game.....I don't know if that can, or will happen again in the future, but I like the fact that a young Coach is committed to give it a try to see if it's possible, and I hope the Tiger fans rally around this hire, and give him every opportunity to fulfill his dream of restoring the Tigers to respectability on and off the field, and make a Tiger program that we can all be proud of....

My advice to ANY students who are thinking about playing football for the first time is PLAY, and be a big part of helping to restore the Tiger Football Program to it's glory days.....My advice to those fans who have grumbled and complained for years that they want this or that in how they would like to see the Football Program advance into the future, is get involved, and help this Coach in any way you can whether it be as a booster or just a positive outside influence for the program, and encourage our youth to be successful on and off the field of play.....We've had too many naysayers for too long, and have been divided as a fan base:...You've got your new Coach, so now it's time to get behind him, and get behind the Football Program...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Tiger: I hope to meet you someday soon. I can't make it this Friday but maybe the next meeting. You seem like a class act and look forward to sitting around listening to some of your stories.

Look forward to it, and thanks for the kind words, and the profile of Coach Stack....It's much appreciated!

Roar Tigers Roar!

The smc is getting pretty brutal.. lots of loaded team glad tigers got a good one. Rosman is a great small town team which is what makes the smc so great

As you know BravesGWY, Rosman and Cherokee go a long ways back, and the Tigers have played the Braves more than any other team with the overall record between the two schools virtually dead even....I always enjoy going over to Cherokee, and have waited for the sleeping giant to awaken....He woke up a few times back when Scooter McCoy was coaching his alma-mater, and it seems as though Coach Briggs is getting the Braves back on track as well....Your team should be pretty tough this year with Mintz back under center....The SMC is better as a whole if both Rosman and Cherokee are competitive because we know that Swain, Murphy and Robbinsville are generally going to be tough to beat every season....No doubt defending state champion Murphy will be the deserved preseason favorite this coming season with all the weapons they have returning, and I also expect Swain to be much improved over last season with a lot of upperclassmen coming back....Dee Walsh has things cooking over in Robbinsville as well, so you know the Black Knights are going to be tough again....It also seems as though Hayesville is turning the corner with a talented signal-caller returning, and the Yellowjackets are definitely improving under Dockery's leadership....Andrews has been fairly competitive the last several years as well, so overall the SMC looks like it may be a lot of fun once again this season which is usually the case....Coach Stack has got his work cut out for himself, but sounds like he's taking the right approach to putting the Tigers back on the track to success....Look forward to next season already!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Thanks tiger I'm as excited as I've been for a season this year . We have everyone returning but a cb. From Facebook post they are killing the weight room. Big strong line man , 215 RB , 215 qb who can run and throw , his little brother 600 yards ref as a fresh ,Straughn at we and lb. all the pieces are there but this conf is very tough Murphy returns whole team and Swain and everyone else will be improved

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
He runs a version of the spread offense, however he is masterful at tailoring it to suit his talent. If, he has a stable of backs it will be a run heavy offense. If, he's got someone that can sling it and kids that can make plays in space that is what he'll do. He has little to no tendencies because the game plan will vary on a weekly basis. As far as the defense, he has ran an odd and and even front. This year I suspect he'll run a version of the 4-3. He's been fine tuning it for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
He runs a version of the spread offense, however he is masterful at tailoring it to suit his talent. If, he has a stable of backs it will be a run heavy offense. If, he's got someone that can sling it and kids that can make plays in space that is what he'll do. He has little to no tendencies because the game plan will vary on a weekly basis. As far as the defense, he has ran an odd and and even front. This year I suspect he'll run a version of the 4-3. We've been fine tuning it for a couple of years now.

So you coach with him?

Reactions: PhoenixPhan96
Why are you so mad Phan? You're not a fan of Stack, so you should be happy that he is gone. As far as step away, I believe you can block my posts if they bother you so much. I was asked a question so I answered it. I have an opinion, it carries no more weight than yours or any one else's for that matter. Sounds like you're the one with an axe to grind. I haven't ever posted anything negative about anyone and this upsets you? One last thing, YES I've coached with him. I believe Phan has also....

Last edited:
Reactions: lpdsftbll
I met and talked to Coach Stack earlier today before the meet and greet as I had an appointment to do my taxes, and wanted to meet the Tiger's new man....I also met his father, and both seem to be good men who put Faith, Family and Football in it's proper prospective and in that order....I guess that I probably talked more than Coach Stack, but I did ask him about the Zamir White kid at Scotland County that is being so heavily recruited by all the big dogs of College Football, and he told me that he didn't Coach White, but knew about him when he was in Middle School when he was an Assistant at Scotland, and said he knew then that he was going to be a special young man....Also asked him about the Tailgate Tuesday, and he said that at times there were as many as 500 Scot fans that showed up to tailgate, and talk some Scot football...Of course, Scotland as most know has become a powerhouse the past decade or so, and fan support probably has a lot to do with how the Scots have emerged as one of the Eastern 4A powers the last several years, but that is just speculation on my part....Nonetheless, Coach Stack said that the kids from Rosman seem to be very excited about the upcoming football season, and that, as most know, is very important at such a small school as Rosman because you need every boy possible if you want a chance to compete in the Smoky Mountain Conference....Did not really get into the X and O's of what Coach Stack plans to run as it's early in the process, and he's still getting to know the kids, but he said that his family is real excited about moving to the area as he and his wife have discussed moving to the mountains in the past, and he seemed to love the Rosman area which of course most of us natives will concur with him about that....

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I don't think the Tiger fans expect a miracle turnaround next year, but I do think a lot of them are delighted to see such a young Coach with a promising background and a vision for making the Tigers competitive in the rugged SMC, eager to get started in rebuilding the Football program...

I enjoyed my first meeting with Coach Stack, and look forward to more discussions about Tiger football with him this spring and summer as he gets better acclimated to becoming a new Transylvania County resident, and hope all the Tiger fans will embrace the new Coach and his family, and help him in any way that they can.....

As for the student body, I hope they too will rally around Coach Stack, and want to become part of a new revival for Tiger Football!....The early news on that front has been encouraging!

On a side note: I hope that Coach Stack's wife has a quick recovery from her Strep Throat as she was unable to attend today's meet and greet with the Tiger fans, due to the illness...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: Muchadoaboutnothin
So in 2015 Rosman went 7-5, beat everyone in a tough conference but the 3 big boys, went into the playoffs and lost to Murphy by 1 point.

They beat Brevard for the first time ever (3 times in a row)

Broke a Multi-season losing streak

All under the old coach, who bled black and orange (from what I can tell). Seems to me like Rosman had its big turn-around, Then threw that coach under the bus.

Then, you hire a guy who is being presented as a fantastic coach, but his team (after three years) could only beat 3 teams. Two of those teams: Morehead and Rockingham, are just not very good.

It is things like this, that will continue to mystify me about High School Football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT