ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman in search of a Football Coach

Totally not true. Incorrect! Coach Stack's teams at McMichael beat Rockingham, Morehead, Williams, Martinsville, and East Davidson. Lost in overtime to powerhouses like Northern Guilford. had Hibriten beat in the 3rd quarter...had Eastern Alamance beat in the 4th quarter and Magna Vista who wins State in VA every year...had leads against nearly every top 16 team in the state out of his conference..beat Morehead and Rockingham in same season for first time in school history...beat Williams for first time in school history...got over 10 kids signed to play college ball in three years after over 20 years the school didn't have that many combined...broke over 40 school records, took them to the playoffs and changed the culture of Phoenix football forever (hopefully stays that way)...he has his work cut out in the tough SMC but he is a great coach and a better person...we will miss you coach stack..Good luck and God bless!

Last edited:
Totally not true incorrect....Coach Stack's teams at McMichael beat Rockingham, Morehead, Williams, Martinsville, and East Davidson...lost in overtime to powerhouses like Northern Guilford..had Hibriten beat in the 3rd quarter...had Eastern Alamance beat in the 4th quarter and Magna Vista who wins State in VA every year...had leads against nearly every top 16 team in the state out of his conference..beat Morehead and Rockingham in same season for first time in school history...beat Williams for first time in school history...got over 10 kids signed to play college ball in three years after over 20 years the school didn't have that many combined...broke over 40 school records, took them to the playoffs and changed the culture of Phoenix football forever (hopefully stays that way)...he has his work cut out in the tough SMC but he is a great coach and a better person...we will miss you coach stack..Good luck and God bless!

Funny how "Fake News" is spread around even at the High School Football level...lol!

Thanks for the breakdown lpdsftbll and presenting the FACTS correctly!

Sounds as though Coach Stack did more than an admirable job at McMichael High School, and hope he can do the same at Rosman High School for the Tigers....Good luck to the Phoenix moving forward!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: Muchadoaboutnothin
Totally not true. Incorrect! Coach Stack's teams at McMichael beat Rockingham, Morehead, Williams, Martinsville, and East Davidson. Lost in overtime to powerhouses like Northern Guilford. had Hibriten beat in the 3rd quarter...had Eastern Alamance beat in the 4th quarter and Magna Vista who wins State in VA every year...had leads against nearly every top 16 team in the state out of his conference..beat Morehead and Rockingham in same season for first time in school history...beat Williams for first time in school history...got over 10 kids signed to play college ball in three years after over 20 years the school didn't have that many combined...broke over 40 school records, took them to the playoffs and changed the culture of Phoenix football forever (hopefully stays that way)...he has his work cut out in the tough SMC but he is a great coach and a better person...we will miss you coach stack..Good luck and God bless!

No, my point was:

Third season, three years, and he only beat three teams last year. Morehead and Rockingham are terrible. Sam Story is no longer at Williams, so they aren't the world beaters they once were.

The bigger point was, Rosman had a turnaround (someone was hoping "this was it," with the new coach) already From my perspective, the old coach turned things around.

No, my point was:

Third season, three years, and he only beat three teams last year. Morehead and Rockingham are terrible. Sam Story is no longer at Williams, so they aren't the world beaters they once were.

The bigger point was, Rosman had a turnaround (someone was hoping "this was it," with the new coach) already From my perspective, the old coach turned things around.
Lighten up jcat. Give him a chance.

Lighten up jcat. Give him a chance.

Who isn't giving him a chance? I was replying more to the fact of "maybe he'll turn this around." From what I see, the turn around already happened, and they threw that coach under the bus.

Rosman isn't the only one to do this, this year even. I think Southeast Guilford is guilty as well. Look at their record before and after Hessenthaller. Same deal. Turn around, winning, playoffs, Thrown under the bus.

No, my point was:

If your BIGGER point was to talk about the issues you think are with Rosman, not really sure why you're taking digs at Stack. Obviously there is something that needed changing at Rosman.

Sure, Morehead and Rockingham aren't the teams they were in the past; both underwent new coaching this past season. The athletes are still there. What people fail to see is the conference that McMichael is in and the teams that they play. They are some of the BEST 3A teams in the entire state.

If your BIGGER point was to talk about the issues you think are with Rosman, not really sure why you're taking digs at Stack. Obviously there is something that needed changing at Rosman.

Sure, Morehead and Rockingham aren't the teams they were in the past; both underwent new coaching this past season. The athletes are still there. What people fail to see is the conference that McMichael is in and the teams that they play. They are some of the BEST 3A teams in the entire state.

If facts equals "digs." Maybe he isn't as great as the resume type posts I've seen in this thread, claim he is.

Just saying.

Who isn't giving him a chance? I was replying more to the fact of "maybe he'll turn this around." From what I see, the turn around already happened, and they threw that coach under the bus.

Rosman isn't the only one to do this, this year even. I think Southeast Guilford is guilty as well. Look at their record before and after Hessenthaller. Same deal. Turn around, winning, playoffs, Thrown under the bus.

No one on this board knows the situation at Rosman better than I do.....Freddie was a long time Assistant Coach for the Tigers before becoming the Head Coach in 2010....He first team ended a long losing streak of 17 games which was the longest in school history, and the team was NOT competitive when he took over....Rosman did beat Brevard 3 straight years under his leadership....Not to diminish those wins for the Tigers, but Brevard was going through a down time, and losing streak of their own when Rosman beat them the first time or two, so they also made a coaching change themselves, and Coach Pritchett has done a great job in resurrecting the Blue Devil Football program as they were Co-Champions of the WNCAC last year with Tuscola and Pisgah which was the Bluedevils first conference football title in several years, and they counted on a large Senior Class to help make that happen....In 2015, Rosman also had a great Senior class, and one of the largest Senior classes the Tigers have had in a very long time, and they did finish with a winning record, but were unable to beat Swain County, Robbinsville or Murphy in the regular season or playoffs, and narrowly lost to a very good 2A Mountain Heritage team...All 4 of those teams were pretty darn good with Robbinsville playing for a state title later that season after winning it the year before in 2014....Murphy was also tough that year, and won the state title last year.....As I've recounted several times, the Smoky Mountain Conference is the toughest 1A conference in the state, especially since Freddie took over because Swain(2011 & 2012), Robbinsville(14' & 15') and Murphy(2010,11',12',13' & 16) have all won and lost state titles in Whitman's 6 years as Head Coach, and no other 1A conference in the state can make that claim....

As I related earlier in this thread, Coach Whitman DID NOT have the complete backing from all the Tiger fans from the first time he was hired in 2010, so Rosman has had a divided fan base for quite some time now....When Rosman fans are pulling together for the Coach and the team, Rosman is generally pretty tough to beat as evidenced when Jim Fox returned in 1997....Most felt then that Rosman's best days were behind them...Instead, Rosman played for the state title that season, and went on possibilly the toughest playoff run that any 1A school has ever had too do, beating former 2A schools Albemarle, Thomasville, Burlington Cummings and Starmount before losing to a veteran North Edgecombe team that had finished as the runnerup to Murphy the year before.....Starmount won the title the following year in 98', beating that same North Edgecombe team coached by Raymond Cobb that appeared in 3 straight 1A finals in the late 90's... Thomasville(95') won recent 2A title before moving down to the 1A class in 97', and Cummings won a 2A title in 2002 after losing the 2A title in 2001, so both those school were very tough 1A opponents back then....Rosman followed up that great 97' season with a Co-SMC Championship with Hendersonville in 1998 which is the ONLY SMC Football title to date for the Tigers, and again beat higher seeded Cummings on the road in Burlington later that season....This was before the Classes were subdivided in 2001....

To be truthful, many Rosman fans wanted a change from the Wishbone and run oriented offense when Coach Fox retired in 2006, and the next coach who was hired from a big program from Tennessee had a different approach, but was NOT as dedicated to the weightroom as the team needed, and thus the Tigers struggled to the point that the program dropped to levels that had never been seen by Tiger fans before....When Freddie was hired in 2010 he resurrected the weight room workouts, made the team stronger and more competitive, but many were still unhappy because they did not want a return to the old system that Fox had used, so the fan base was still divided when Freddie took over, so it has been difficult for the team to reach it's full potential when you've got parents pulling their kids out of Rosman and moving them to Brevard, or Parents and Fans criticizing the Coaching Staff throughout the entire time Freddie was coaching which obviously affected the kids who WERE playing, or those that WANTED to play for the Tigers, but chose not too because all of the criticism of the coaching staff....

I don't think Freddie was "Thrown under the Bus" as you have characterized it, but the grumbling and complaining from Tiger fans that didn't support him from the outset became louder when the most talented team Rosman has had since the late 90's fell short of expectations by losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs that season to Murphy, albeit by 1 point as you related....That team was riddled with injuries to key players for most of that 2015 season, but fans didn't really take that into consideration, and just wanted a change of direction in the program after the season which led to more defections and apathy from kids who chose not to play last year....Starting Sophomore LBer Ethan Shook transferred to Brevard after the 2015 season, and was named the defensive Player of the Year in the WNCAC for Bluedevils, last year....It's hard to lose kids like that, and stay competitive in the SMC, but that was the hand Freddie was dealt with, and had to live with in his final season at the helm of the Tigers....

Coach Stack is a young Coach who has been an assistant at one of the most respected 4A schools in the state, and has obviously helped to resurrect a football program at McMichael that had struggled to be competitive before he got there if I've read everything correctly from those that should know...The Rosman fan base seems excited that Coach Stack is here, and so does the kids from what I'm hearing, so it just seems that you or maybe others are just trying to once again divide a Tiger fan base that has seemingly been divided since the late 1990's...

I like Freddie, and he will always be a friend of mind, but it had gotten tougher and tougher for him to do his job as Head Coach of the Tigers, so maybe in some ways, he is relieved to finally have that pressure taken off his shoulders...At least, he can say that he coached all 4 of his boys at the same High School that he played at, and that I'm sure is a blessing, and a memory that he will carry with him for the rest of his life, and he can also say that he done his best to help restore some Tiger pride after Bailey left and at the very least, made the team competitive again in the SMC in spite of a divided fan base....

Again, I welcome Coach Stack, and hope that he can motivate the Tiger Student body and fans to come out, and play and support the Rosman Tigers, and help restore a tradition that was once admired around the state of N.C.

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: mbdfan
Well rick I have disagree with some of that about Whitman ! The teams in the beginning were stronger in the weight room it was ver evident that last years kids were weak , lacked conditioning !

Well rick I have disagree with some of that about Whitman ! The teams in the beginning were stronger in the weight room it was ver evident that last years kids were weak , lacked conditioning !

Don't understand which Whitman years you are talking about?....Weightroom conditioning was NOT a priority under Bailey, but was under Whitman, so don't really know what you're talking about, so be a little more clear, and I might understand what you're trying to say?

Last year's team was also very young, so are you taking that into account or not because generally speaking most Freshman and Sophomores are NOT going to be stronger than Upperclassmen who have been working out for 3 or 4 years?

BTW, welcome to NCPreps as this seems to be your first ever post!

Yeah I'm very aware they were young but when you change you're workouts to light weight multiple reps you're not getting stronger !

Either way in several people's opinion over the last 5 years under Whitman there should have been more than 1 winning season and should have been a deep run in the playoffs even though a couple injuries . Way to much talent on the field too only go 7-5 in 15

Reactions: smash mouth
Either way in several people's opinion over the last 5 years under Whitman there should have been more than 1 winning season and should have been a deep run in the playoffs even though a couple injuries . Way to much talent on the field too only go 7-5 in 15

Thanks for the clarification....Was not aware that the workouts had been changed as I've not been as close to the program the last couple years...But as a Coach if you've got a problem with numbers, which seemed to be the case last year,How hard can that Coach realistically push kids without some of them also quitting the team?....I think it was a tough spot for Freddie and his coaching staff last year with the youth, inexperience and lack of enough bodies to really even conduct a practice late in the year, which is why the JV program had to close up earlier than expected, is what I was told by several people close to the program....

As for the 2015 team, it's hard to deny that there was enough talent on that team to make a strong push for a conference or state crown, but it didn't happen and unfortunately those expectations do fall at the feet of the Head Coach...Even though, there were some key injuries at QB, RB, and other key positions that greatly affected those expectations....Of course, a lot of those kids also played defense which also affected the team on that side of the ball as well...Such is life at the 1A level where bodies and numbers matter!

As a long time friend of Freddie's, I'm not going to kick him while he's down,or question what he should have, or should not have done while he was coaching, but will instead leave that up to others if they choose to do so because their is nothing to be gained from it but ill will toward a fellow Tiger, and that ain't what I'm about, but rather choose to look forward to a more positive future for Rosman Tiger Football under Coach Stack!

Again, welcome to NCPreps, and look forward to a more positive discussion about Tiger Football in the future!

Roar Tigers Roar!

96 I heard spring workout numbers have been around 60. Yeah his work ethic is great the field house has been cleaned from top to bottom the outside grounds are clean and he has sprayed the field to get the weeds out.

That's what I've been told . I have heard our kids are really picking up the new scheme , and you are exactly right the field and stadium looks good

Yes you did , our kids seem to really like him they are working hard . I personally don't think we coulda got a better guy for our team !

The kids are getting stronger. He has them believing and I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

I don't think your surprise anyone this year but give this coach 3 years and he could really help Rosman.

How long has it been since Rosman had 60 kids involved in the program? That is a great number for a school the size of Rosman. Impressive. Good luck to the Tigers.

Strength doesn't come in a month or two. So, with that being said it may take a year to catch up to the rest of the conference. X's and O's are great but Jimmy's and Joes are what wins games. I think a coach should win you one or two games, but the players are on the hook for the rest.

Strength doesn't come in a month or two. So, with that being said it may take a year to catch up to the rest of the conference. X's and O's are great but Jimmy's and Joes are what wins games. I think a coach should win you one or two games, but the players are on the hook for the rest.
Exactly and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade when I say this, but unless Rosman just happened to have a bunch of stud athletes roaming their hallways that weren't playing, then I saw nothing on their varsity or JV team to suggest they had the jimmy's and joe's to be competing for a conference title the next few years. That doesn't mean they can't be much improved and a lot more competitive but there's a ton of ground that will have to be made up to compete at the top of the conference.

Absolutely no disrespect intended with my post, I wish the Tigers all the best and it certainly sounds like the enthusiasm is there. The increased numbers will definitely be helpful and it sounds like with coach Stack at the helm that Rosman has bright future ahead, as long as he hangs around for a few years. But it's definitely going to be tough to break into the top 3 of the conference the next few years with the talent Murphy, Swain and Robbinsville have coming up.

Hopefully Rosman can get that same level of enthusiasm going at the youth level and start building something sustainable with more than just the next couple of years in mind. I know logistically it would be tough, but I really think it would great if Rosman could get into the same youth league as the rest of the conference.

Last edited:
We have a pretty good youth program that competes with much larger schools and wins championships. We do have some talent it just wasn't being used properly last few years! That being said we as tiger fans are not looking for conference or state titles tomorrow we just wanna compete and have winning records! However the titles when they come will be nice

Reactions: Muchadoaboutnothin
60 really? Murphy and Swain struggle to get those kind of numbers! I wonder how many will stick with it.

I know this is off the topic but good luck to murphy's baseball team against north Stanley tonight. Yes there is 60 players working out !

Our midgets always compete for a championship. We just haven't had a coach in place to keep developing them and keep them together all the way through high school. The talent is there.

midgets don't mean crap. Ask Murphy. Heck I saw a Murphy jv team in 2012 or 2013 go 0-6 in conference, and that same team won a state title, or was the runner up. Sometimes it's the midget mentality and coaching that burns these kids out.

Why don't you read the previous post before shooting your mouth and you will see why we are commenting on youth football

I will tell u from experience that youth football has nothing to do with varsity football. There have been numerous teams in the smoky mountain youth football league that have won championship and did nothing when their time on varsity comes around.

Youth results are largely meaningless, Murphy being a perfect example of that. But don't always discount the value of a group of boys coming up winning together. Murphy has had mutliple title teams forged on the backs of kids that grew up playing and winning together.

I think what youth football can be beneficial for is getting kids excited about the sport as well as potentially running the basics of the offense and defensive schemes that they will in high school, that type of continuity can be invaluable, regardless of wins and losses.

Coach Gentry told me once he didn't care how many games the JV team won or lost, all he was interested in was them learning the basic offensive and defensive concepts that they would be running on varsity.

Reactions: Smctrain
I would argue the exact opposite. Youth football is the largest determining factor to high school success. With out youth football most kids will not play high school football or if they do they'll wait till their senior year and unless they are an athletic freak will be totally lost in the sport. You can not learn football and play football at the same time. If, you don't hook kids into football at an early age your chances of kindling a passion for the sport is next to nothing. I don't believe there is a 1:1 ratio of youth success to high school success. There are many factors that enter into that correlation. I do believe there is nothing better than growing up playing with the same group of kids might and mites all the way to Friday night lights. Success at an early age is important as today's generation is all about instant gratification. If they don't win they are much more likely to move on to another sport (even soccer....shiver) but, I do not think its a precursor to W's in 5-8 years.

Reactions: 96 tiger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT