ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman in search of a Football Coach

Ya...I'll be there.... I'm gonna spend the weekend. Is there any must see attractions or places eat around the area? I figured we would have to get a room in Brevard.

Jordan street cafe is really good also the square root, also up on the blue ridge parkway the Pisgah inn has wonderful food with an awesome view

I read the post 96... Shoot my mouth off? haha. I am saying that midget football does not always correlate to high school success or lack thereof. When I was in 6th 7th 8th grade we killed everybody...Then unfortunately half the players got tired of the sport or the coaching and quit..We got to high school and got beat a lot. Murphy midgets ain't winning cracker bowls every year.. Actually it's rare, and you see how they turn out in varsity. Good luck to the tigers.. Sounds like they are going to be a major contender with 60 kids.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
All I was saying in a reply to mbdfan is we have a good youth program in a tough league. I wasn't saying a word about how we were gonna win state titles because of it

All I was saying in a reply to mbdfan is we have a good youth program in a tough league. I wasn't saying a word about how we were gonna win state titles because of it
The thing is your midgets play against schools that have middle school programs, the only kids still playing for those schools midgets are 6th graders or kids not good enough for the middle school team.

The same applies to the SMC schools when they play against Smoky Mountain and Franklin's midgets in youth league.

But when you play Asheville Reynolds and schools of that nature there is still talent no matter in my opinion

Well in my town people and kids think that when they win a youth championship that they have arrived, and the work falls short. I guess what I am saying is that I don't even pay attention to youth footballs record. Yes it is a place they gain a love for the game, but don't need to settle for success in rec league football. which happens more than you think (in kids and parents). Parents and spectators think that it is the coaches fault that little Johnny was great in rec league and mediocre at best on varsity. In truth I wish they could see the lack of effort little Johnny puts in the weightroom and on the practice field, then they would see why he isn't as good as he was. I would rather take a freshman that has never played than a kid who was a superstar in youth that thinks he's the best! There sorry if I shot my mouth off too (lol) but unless you are involved you have no idea (not saying you aren't involved).

Reactions: mbdfan
i agree with you smctrain myself I played youth into high school and you do have to put in the effort on and off the field ! It seems to me if you reply to something just stating the reason why you don't think you should be playing in the smc youth league then it all gets blew outta proportion!!!! Way it sounds it doesn't matter what rosman does we'll never do as good as the " big 3"

The thing is a lot of kids who are "awesome" in youth league are only that because they hit puberty sooner than their peers. Too many early and late bloomers at that level, as well as natural attrition (talented kids quit playing for a myriad of reasons) to get a good gauge of what things are going to be like at the high school level.

I agree with you mbdfan the last good talented youth team we had at rosman was the one 2 years ago now with Gaige and those kids

The bulldogs upcoming game against whiteville is it for the state championship
Yeah, Murphy really has their hands full with Whiteville. Whiteville's left hander Gore is a projected top 5 pick in this year's MLB draft, he tops out at 97 and sits in the low to mid 90's. The boys will give it their best but it's going to take Murphy's pitchers playing their absolute best to have even a remote chance.

The only way they're beating Whiteville is to match Whiteville's starting pitching enough to get Gore's pitch counts up, so that he's not available to pitch extended innings in more than one game.

Last edited:
Oh crap a lefty with that kinda velocity he will be tough for sure no wonder he'a a top 5 pick ! Good luck to the dog's

Like I said earlier youth football is still for the most part a good thing, it gives kids a chance to learn the game and builds a passion for it. You just can't really read too much into the results because there's so much that happens between then and high school. But a group coming up together and winning together, if most of them stick with it, that can be very valuable too. Often times they will carry a mentality with them that will rub off on others who weren't even a part of that group, an expectation of winning.

Regardless of all that good luck to Rosman football this season. It seems like you guys have a good young coach who has really cranked up the excitement and enthusiasm level among both the players and the fans. Even if there's only a select few of those new kids among the 60 that end up being good starters, a few quality additions can go a long way in the win loss column at the 1A level. If nothing else more bodies is a real help for a small 1A school that traditionally doesn't have a ton of numbers.

Last edited:
60 kids now may pay little dividends this season, but as you know especially in a small town that excitement is contagious. Those kids have little brothers or cousins that want to be like their older brother or cousin. It's the snowball effect that can sustain and or carry a program for years to come. From what I hear the boys are working extremely hard and the install is ahead of schedule. I've coached long enough to know spring doesn't equal fall but, all signs are pointing towards a great foundation. I think Matt's a hell of a coach but it's also a testament to that town and area as well as the old coaching staff. The fundamentals were in place and the work ethic was instilled in them before he got there. Kudos to the parents and past coaches....

i agree with you smctrain myself I played youth into high school and you do have to put in the effort on and off the field ! It seems to me if you reply to something just stating the reason why you don't think you should be playing in the smc youth league then it all gets blew outta proportion!!!! Way it sounds it doesn't matter what rosman does we'll never do as good as the " big 3"
Dude really!!!! Earlier in this forum you were telling people to read your post before shooting their mouth off, seems like you need to heed your own advice! Where did I ever say don't play youth football? I said you can't look at how good your youth league is and expect the same results in varsity. They have to keep working is what I was implying. I never said rosman can't measure up to the big 3. I simply started replying on this thread because I am tired of people talking about how good 11, 12, and 13 yr olds are when they haven't even fully matured and have years of work ahead of they want to be successful.

Ya.. it was a great time with a decent turnout. (Connestee Falls is a beautiful course) I think there were 15-16 teams. They raised a good bit of money for the program.

Another factor is some schools don't have feeder. Robbinsville will have about the same youth teams as varsity. Murphy Dwain etc. will have new faces after middle school. Not complaining just saying.

Muchado did you get the job? If so when do you start? If you haven't I hope you'll it soon.

I hear a lot of positive things but, have yet to see anything to sign. If, it's gonna happen it has got to be pretty quick. In talking with Stack and some of your players last weekend it looks as if their in good hands with or without me. Stack was bragging on his staff and the players. Your Mike LBer looks like the real deal....

Thanks...my family and myself felt very welcomed last weekend. My wife and son really love the mountains and I enjoy the small town life. I really enjoy hunting and fishing and all that goes along with it. It would be a great fit for my family. I hope it works out. Thanks, to all of you who are trying to make that happen.

Muchado, congrats.
BTW have you ever eaten over in Madison at Fuzzies BBQ. Great Eaton. I've been there a couple times.
Mother in law was born there.

What I understand the coach that was just hired is an o line coach . We still need that d coordinator to be hired

Muchado, congrats.
BTW have you ever eaten over in Madison at Fuzzies BBQ. Great Eaton. I've been there a couple times.
Mother in law was born there.
No, I haven't but, everyone says it's really good. Let me know the next time your in town I'll show you a favorite watering hole or two...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT