ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman 2021 Fall

Good luck to the Tigers in their new conference. I was hoping to see a few more of their old SMC foes stay on the schedule, but certainly get wanting to play non conference closer by.

Also, just realized that Draughn and Patton—less than 15 miles apart in the same county—are both 2A and both in conferences with teams 2 hours away in Transylvania County. But it’s two different conferences. Which is kind of absurd.

Good luck to the Tigers in their new conference. I was hoping to see a few more of their old SMC foes stay on the schedule, but certainly get wanting to play non conference closer by.

Also, just realized that Draughn and Patton—less than 15 miles apart in the same county—are both 2A and both in conferences with teams 2 hours away in Transylvania County. But it’s two different conferences. Which is kind of absurd.
Draughn and Mtn Heritage are dropping to 1A..Owen and Madison are the only 2A in the new conference

Reactions: ObserveAndReport

I was driving by Patton high Friday and looked up the distance from Patton to Brevard and it’s like 90 miles .... that’s absolutely crazy

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
And yet Shelby and Burns gets put in a 1-2 split because they don’t won’t long drives for conference games ......BS
I wish they would have left us in the whc , the conference they moved us into we already play most of them in out of conference games , just making it even easier for Shelby to continue to dominate 2a

Reactions: Mopar forever
I was driving by Patton high Friday and looked up the distance from Patton to Brevard and it’s like 90 miles .... that’s absolutely crazy
Where my son played in TN they have a conference game 180 miles away. Don’t mind it on bit because it’s way better than split conferences.

It's 58 miles between Mitchell high school and Draughn ( Polk was 64) and 94 between them and Rosman.
So conference teams in mileage for Mitchell going from a 6 to 7 team conference is 20 miles , 23, 45, 45, 58 , 94..which isn't to bad for a Mountain school I guess. I missed one of the four non conference games in the fall on the radio but I'm sure no matter who the fourth one was Andrews will be the furthest at 147 miles.

I wish they would have left us in the whc , the conference they moved us into we already play most of them in out of conference games , just making it even easier for Shelby to continue to dominate 2a
I agree..... but for the most part it’s actually a pretty good conference except for East and Patton

The mileage totals are pretty similar in the new conference and the SMC, but the "kind" of miles are very different in most cases. Easier travel. Less travel time.

To be honest, I feel like it was travel for middle school sports that pushed Rosman out. The additional trips to Hiwassee Dam, Copper Basin TN, and Martins Creek on top of the "normal" travel are brutal for middle schoolers. They do not handle the travel time and the missed class time as well as the older kids. Sometimes it felt like my kids were missing 3 quarters of the school day 2 days a week for baseball / softball, basketbal, etc.

Al that being said, I will miss the SMC. Good people, great competition.

I agree with you about middle school and always kind of wondered why Rosman didn't just play in a different middle school conference (except football). Although they're Little Smoky, Nantahala and Blue Ridge play in conferences besides the SMC for the teams they field at the middle school level. What is Rosman planning to do about JV/junior high football going forward?

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
I agree with you about middle school and always kind of wondered why Rosman didn't just play in a different middle school conference (except football). Although they're Little Smoky, Nantahala and Blue Ridge play in conferences besides the SMC for the teams they field at the middle school level. What is Rosman planning to do about JV/junior high football going forward?
I heard the WHC may go to 7-9 JV just like the SMC

Reactions: BK13T-$
I heard the WHC may go to 7-9 JV just like the SMC
Never happen. Yancey county would fight that tooth and nail. They wont even let Mitchell and avery compete in the tri county bowl anymore because a consolidated team presents an unfair advantage somehow. Even with the same amount of kids dressing out.

I've heard that most everyone in the conference would be in favor of it, I think it's in serious enough conversation that it's being voted on soon if it's not already been. As much as some might not like the idea of it, it is also terrible when only 2 or 3 teams in the conference can field enough players to play a jv game every week for a full season. It would have some downsides such as I'm sure some 7th graders are going to decide they're not quite ready to be playing with freshmen and may not come out to play. Also it could cause a lot of problems with scheduling varsity games, because usually when you schedule a varsity game you just assume your jvs will also play each other that week. So now when Mitchell plays for instance a Watauga or Erwin like is on their schedule for the fall those teams will have to go out and find another jv team for that week to play. If the whc does adopt this I would say the SMC would be the happiest to hear it because it would give them some teams to play in the non conference in jvs which would also probably lead to a lot more just straight varsity and jv games being scheduled between the 2 conferences.

Yancey also will not be able to field 2 middle school teams no more in a couple years at the most unless they have a bunch of kids come out of the woodwork. I think they have less than 20 kids playing in 5th and 6th and 3rd and 4th so I dont see any way they could keep fielding seperate middle schools in a couple years. I was told Avery would not have had enough to even play rec league this year if they hadn't got some kids from Roan Mountain to play.

The NCHSAA made some really strange decisions in how they made the new conferences would have made more sense to put Patton in WHC and make an 8 team league . As for the conference following the SMC and going to basically what was junior high football it seems would be most viable option. This spring is not a good measuring stick, but in 2019 yes nearly 2 years ago Avery no JV team Madison small team, Owen small team only teams with 20 or more players Mitchell and Heritage. Rosman already does it so it seems like perfect time to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT