ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky River at Richmond

Not the head coach. It went like this.

Why isn't there more passing.

Assistant: we have tried, we really have but in practice they just don't get it. These kids can't learn the routes.

When it comes to winning in the NFL, passing is king.

The NFL?? Really?!!! You do realize the NFL is a collection of all star talent, right? HS is not. Coaches need to run schemes based upon the men they have to put on the field. The O-Line determines a whole lot what you can and can't do on offense.

You seem to have selective reasoning on this. I think you love the passing game and there's nothing wrong with that but many top schools in the country run as much or more than they throw. There are many reasons why you'd do one or the other. I hope we can do both well and use whichever at the right time and against the right defense. If the stack the box, throw it. If they put 5 DBs out there and set up a pass defense, then let's run it. You know, adjust to the defense or make the defense adjust to you.

I could tell you who and what I took from it but not here.

It was not a malicious statement filled with hate. I took it as mis guided, lazy and quite frankly just plane dumb on the coaches part. You could tell it was a collective thought process that had been discussed.

After hearing that and knowing what had been said then reading interviews things made a lot more sense on why things were being done a certain way.

If these guys step out and put in a competent passing game in a months time when they couldn't do it in years it should bring some things to light.

Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
The NFL?? Really?!!! You do realize the NFL is a collection of all star talent, right? HS is not. Coaches need to run schemes based upon the men they have to put on the field. The O-Line determines a whole lot what you can and can't do on offense.

You seem to have selective reasoning on this. I think you love the passing game and there's nothing wrong with that but many top schools in the country run as much or more than they throw. There are many reasons why you'd do one or the other. I hope we can do both well and use whichever at the right time and against the right defense. If the stack the box, throw it. If they put 5 DBs out there and set up a pass defense, then let's run it. You know, adjust to the defense or make the defense adjust to you.

You know that football trends come from the top down. College guys learn from NFL coaches and high school coaches learn from college.

I'm sorry I couldn't find you an article from advanced football metrics laying out the preferred offense of the North Carolina south Easter 4a conference. That is a little off their radar and I thought you were capable of making the connections .

Again if they again if they can come up with a passing attack in a month it trashes the argument that said " we ran this system because it was the best system for this talent".

You know that football trends come from the top down. College guys learn from NFL coaches and high school coaches learn from college.

I'm sorry I couldn't find you an article from advanced football metrics laying out the preferred offense of the North Carolina south Easter 4a conference. That is a little off their radar and I thought you were capable of making the connections .

Again if they again if they can come up with a passing attack in a month it trashes the argument that said " we ran this system because it was the best system for this talent".

Heel, I do agree with you that we didn't pass often enough. In fact, I believe when we were running the ball down the throats of several teams early in the season, we should have been working on passing since the outcome of the game was seldom in doubt. Too often, we waited until teams caught up with our offense and then tried to add in passing and we couldn't get comfortable with it so late in the season.

At the same time, I remember several Raleigh "pass happy" teams that we beat the britches off of. Just saying, passing a lot is not in and of itself always the best choice.

One thing is clear, we both want the Raiders to win!! Looking forward to a great Raider season. Maybe I'll get to meet you at one of the games. Feel free to drop by the visitor's press box and say hello. I've been broadcasting from there for the last 18 years.

Not teaching when the out come was not in question against weak eastern teams is what I always had a problem with and what I told u they said is why they were not doing it. They believed no matter what it could not be taught to our 'type' of athletes.

Tommy knots passed against everyone until the final buzzer until they got it and after they got it everyone was paying for it. He caught hell for doing that but it worked.

Our guys could and can run the option with their eyes closed. They needed to pass.

Not teaching when the out come was not in question against weak eastern teams is what I always had a problem with and what I told u they said is why they were not doing it. They believed no matter what it could not be taught to our 'type' of athletes.

Tommy knots passed against everyone until the final buzzer until they got it and after they got it everyone was paying for it. He caught hell for doing that but it worked.

Our guys could and can run the option with their eyes closed. They needed to pass.
Well, we' ll find out about the PASSING GAME Friday night , IF IT CAN BE TAUGHT IN A MONTH.....If you cant run the football successfully you cant win.....Tommy knobbs had the best talent in Meck County transferring in just like another team up there now...Heck give me the best talent in that county and I'll throw it every play, because of the studs you have to play defense for you...As far as that goes just run sneak and score.....Offense was not the problem... WE .AVG 42 POINTS A GAME ......Like I said , I'll be happy to avg 21 to 28 a game.......The passing game is not hard and the routes are not hard...post, hitch, curl, drag , jet etc..........You better have the studs up front to give time to get some routes ran.....With no injuries and no turnovers and our defense can hold them to 14, we might just win....Remember to win you must be able to run the football...The RAIDERS TRIPLE HAS LOOKED GOOD THIS WEEK.......GO RAIDERS.....nuff said

U do not have to run to win in today's game. If that was true we would have never lost.

I posted the facts and if u chose to ignore them that's on you.

U do not have to run to win in today's game. If that was true we would have never lost.

I posted the facts and if u chose to ignore them that's on you.
Look back...WE DIDNT LOOSE VERY OFTEN......ONE OF THE BEST WINNING PERCENTAGE'S IN NC....THAT IS A FACT.....NUFF SAID.....

Dude u just don't get it. In the long run this is good.

This type of offenses can win it all where the other one couldn't. The only time it did it was pass happy.

Those are facts.

Dude u just don't get it. In the long run this is good.

This type of offenses can win it all where the other one couldn't. The only time it did it was pass happy.

Those are facts.
Dude.....The Barnes teams would run 7-8 times and throw once........That is ANOTHER FACT.......Oh , and they did WIN 5 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS....You dont know much about the history of RC FOOTBALL.......nuff said..

How many titles Castellano win at Middlecreek throwing it around?? How about how many regional titles? Shouldn't take long for you to count them

Same amount haggard won before and after Richmond. Look that boys record up when he got the job and compare it to what we got this time.

I dare u

So your point is that whether you run or throw it doesn't really have anything to do with winning titles?? Thanks for proving my point

I think Hoggard was a pretty good coach. I don't have the slightest idea on Castellano . Time will tell. WHat I do know is the amount of passes versus runs will not be the determining factor. Take a hard look at the teams winning titles in 4a and then look hard at the Raiders. Its more than simple offensive scheme. Look at Mallard Creek, New Bern, Dudley, Scotland etc,etc.... You really think if you just threw it more that means more W's.... Need to start tackling and I don't think you have the athletes you used to have. Certainly not on the defensive side.

Coach Hoggard did make the statement that you couldn't win with just a strong defense that now you have to out score your opponents so he moved the talent to the offensive side of the ball.

More than once, late in the year, we would have very good athletes coming off the bench as the 5th and 6th RB that should have or at least could have helped on defense the whole season. At least that is the way it looked to my untrained eye.

Yeah, they were real good until they ran up against Jerome Brown and company. The option was dismantled.

And that was much longer than just a few years back. Maybe you are having reading and comprehension problems with your own post.

Not really, when you get my age time kinda gets away from you! Actually, I was referring to the early 70's Oklahoma teams. Jack Mildren, Leon Crosswhite, Joe Wyle and Greg Pruitt were unstoppable. They even handed your Hurricanes a 33-20 butt whipping in 1971! That team still holds most of the collegiate rushing records, with Pruitt averaging >9 yards a carry for the season. They were fun to watch. Their only loss was in the game of the century against that great Nebraska team and even scored 31 points against them. Defense gave up 28 but Johnny Rogers punt return for a TD is what won that game.

Go Raiders!!

I don't think any Raider fan can get on here and honestly say they didn't like what they saw tonight. Some takeaways:

1.) Defense played very well and looked better than they have in years. This was the main key for me. They have some work to do, but their speed really showed and tackling was very good. I was surprised at our D getting in the backfield past some large O linemen for RR. RR never really broke a big play off that I can remember.
2.) You have to love that vertical pass attack in the second half. Some drops and some nice catches. If they continue doing it, the receivers will bring them in and they will only get better.
3.) Ziegler-Nice arm and can throw with a little pepper. He does well throwing on the run.
4.) Receivers-We have plenty and always pulling for my buddy Calhoun...nice job.
5.) Overall O play calling was very well mixed up and keep the RR D on their heels at times. Great mix of play calling.
6.) Special teams played very well except for a couple of hiccups.

Nice first game for the new coaching staff.

Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
I couldn't believe it, the option wasn't run once tonight. Really impressed with the defense and once they get more experience with this offense, it's going to be lights out! A solid first outing for this coaching staff.

I am glad there was no option played tonight this is what i have been waiting for here in richmond co for a few years. We are going to get better

I only mentioned that because some of the former regime's fanboys were salivating over the thought, that the new coaching staff's offense wasn't working and they were having to resort to running the option this past week. I'm with you on not wanting to see it again.

Great first game for the kids and the new staff. Of course room for improvement but see the kids only getting better. Was real impressed with the intensity that the defense played with tonight and nice to see head coach getting excited with the kids when they made a big play. Not bad for a bunch of weird looking coaches as some people think. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT