ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky River at Richmond

Up until this week, I figured it would be Richmond about like it was the last 2 years, but this year's Rocky River squad is the most impressive looking team they've fielded to date. They are very big along both lines, and have the speed across the board to match up with Richmond very favorably.

This is gong to be a very, very good ball game. This will be the biggest, fastest Rocky River team that Richmond has seen yet. If the RR offense can find a way to score some points, they are going to be very tough for anyone to beat this year.

I heard RC tied Millbrook 0-0 in a scrimmage. I know many have Millbrook in their top 20 but I think I would take RR over Millbrook. RC better figure it out and score some points. I don't see RC shutting out RR.

I hope the Raiders haven't lost their high powered running game for a pass happy offense! You need a very good running game to win as passing alone can't get it done. Just look at what's happened to Oklahoma over the last few years!

Go Raiders!!

I hope the Raiders haven't lost their high powered running game for a pass happy offense! You need a very good running game to win as passing alone can't get it done. Just look at what's happened to Oklahoma over the last few years!

Go Raiders!!
From what I can tell some of the Raider fans got what they wanted. From all reports the main thing Richmond will be doing is a fast paced passing game. This is not the team of Old.

the millbrook scrimmage richmond scored 3 to millbrook 2
Millbrook played Scotland tough also at the HS OT jamboree in Raleigh.
Scotland with 1 score and Millbrook 0. Really 2 scores for Scotland but the
refs got involved a little too much.
Good luck to the Raiders week 1.....

There was a belief by coaches and fans a like that the 'type' of athlete that Richmond has could not be taught how to pass.

Old timers are still fighting it tooth and nail and will lash out at the first opportunity. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

This type of change is great for Richmond. Not saying this coach is great, idk that, but this is needed.

I still find it hard to believe that with all the football on tv showing everyone that the game has changed (10-15 years ago) and it is now a passing game that there are still so many people holding their beliefs that you can't win without running. The facts now show it is hard to win with running.

Football is now a passing game and Richmond has arrived just 15 years late to the show. It's about time.

Go raiders.

I will respectfully (& knowledgeably) disagree w/your 1st, 4th, & 5th points. I cannot agree/disagree w/your 2nd or 3rd points; don't possess enough insight on either. While the game itself has most definitely evolved, the teams who win it all ... they can (& do) RUN the ball w/greater efficiency & more success than everyone else.

Reactions: 1Twister

Go Raiders!!

Are you talking about the Oklahoma team that threw the ball over 300 times and ran it over 500 times last year? Oklahoma’s problem is they haven’t had a QB. Trevor Knight, Blake Bell, Landry Jones.... Or, are you talking about the Oklahoma team that had a 1500+ yard rushing freshman last year?

There was a belief by coaches and fans a like that the 'type' of athlete that Richmond has could not be taught how to pass.

Old timers are still fighting it tooth and nail and will lash out at the first opportunity. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

This type of change is great for Richmond. Not saying this coach is great, idk that, but this is needed.

I still find it hard to believe that with all the football on tv showing everyone that the game has changed (10-15 years ago) and it is now a passing game that there are still so many people holding their beliefs that you can't win without running. The facts now show it is hard to win with running.

Football is now a passing game and Richmond has arrived just 15 years late to the show. It's about time.

Go raiders.
Heel, I don't disagree with you at all. I did not think that Richmond passed enough the last few years. However, I think you still need balance between the run and the pass game. The stable of running backs Richmond had the last few years made it almost impossible to develop the passing game. Richmond was scoring so fast with the running game Usually within 5 or 6 plays. This would then catch up with them when play off time came and every team put 11 in the box. For some reason coaches would not change. This is where I saw the problem. Many times I would see the pass across the middle behind the LB would be wide open.
The main thing I have read about the new offense is that when they are going to pass everyone knows it. This is probably simply the fact that the coaches were working on certain plays. Once the full offense is in place this probably will not be the case. Its like the old running game everyone knew the play that was going to be ran in certain situations. You know up the middle, up the middle ect. By the way I am a real old old timer. Even when I was on the team in the 1960's we would use the running game to set up the passing game and vice versa. Passing dominates in the game today but you still have to have a running game to make it all work.

I will respectfully (& knowledgeably) disagree w/your 1st, 4th, & 5th points. I cannot agree/disagree w/your 2nd or 3rd points; don't possess enough insight on either. While the game itself has most definitely evolved, the teams who win it all ... they can (& do) RUN the ball w/greater efficiency & more success than everyone else.

So it is your assertion that there is a direct correlation between rush yards and championships?

I can just about, without even looking, bet the house that is not true.

There was a day when the run set up the pass but that day is long gone and if there are two evenly matched teams and one is predominately run and one is predominately pass the passing team will win the majority of those games.

North Carolina is way behind in modern football. They don't make elite qbs or Wes per capita that surrounding states do.

Coaches can continue to say u have to run to win but the facts are, without a doubt, that is false. If it was true everyone would watch Paul Johnson win the national championship every year. The fact is until this past year he couldn't win a game if the other team had more than a week to get ready.

Everyone still wants to fixate on the Richmond offense. I don't care if they run it, pass it, kick it or eat it. If you cant stop the other guy you will have trouble winning and that in large part has been their issue the past 5 years and until that gets fixed the offensive scheme will matter little. Scheme has been poor, tackling has been worse.

They have averaged more than 40 a game the past two years. More than enough to be successful. Cant give up 30+ to quality teams and expect to win.

Reactions: Scots_nation
I can almost bet there will be athletes at Richmond going out for football that would not have even considered it with the triple option still here.

The old staff would rather have athletes sitting on the bench as offensive backups instead of having them as defensive starters. Changing that in itself will make the defense better.

It will be interesting to se receivers receive, quarterbacks pass and running backs run and more diversity in the passing game besides a post pattern.

Get as many playmakers as you can on the field at the same time and spread it around. Get the speed back on defense and bring back the excitement. I don't know if this staff can do that but I am pulling for them.

Such crying and gnashing of teeth is unbelievable for such dedicated and in-the-know fans on this page. The Raiders will be just fine this season. The straw-man that has been set up, mainly that it will take several seasons for this coaching staff to implement their offensive and defensive schemes is absurd and is being used to justify the innate Raider-hater of most of these posters. The so called Raider fans that are crying about the team becoming one dimensional are still caught up in the hurtful realization that the former regime is gone and won't be coming back. The facts are that the Raiders will no longer be predictable and one dimensional. Our defense will be be better, because of better athletes and having to defend our offense every day. This will make them better at defending the wide open attacks so prevalent among the best teams in NC. This coaching staff is on the money and a definite upgrade from what we had. No matter what happens this season, I like where the Raiders are headed. I think some people will be astonished by this team. We may have some growing pains, but we are a lot better off than we've been in awhile. To the worry-warts and naysayers I will say this, "Don't get caught up worrying about scrimmages". This coaching staff actually uses them to help the team improve.

The Raiders Finally installed the Triple this week at practice.....nuff said...

Last edited:
Crysnake- Love it. In one sentence you say they will be fine this season and then further down you state " No matter what happens this season". Which is it?

You can be fine in more than one way. It will take a lot of deprograming in Richmond to get rid of the old ways.

There are still a lot of people that believe that u win by running the football and stoping the run. They will rather lose and be right than win and be wrong. Young athletes have not been developed in favor of this belief and other biases.

This is good but it will take time. They will look like world beaters one play and lost at others. If I had to guess I would say u better get your kicks in early because when they learn how to pass and as a result defend the pass there will be some pay back coming.

There are a lot of people that pull against the raiders that didn't want Richmond to change.

New football is passing and defending the pass.

They say the run game is the much easier way to punish the blitz and that's many teams preferred way to handle a complex pressure package that they struggle to block. Rushing plays are more consistent, and the larger variance that comes with a passing play makes passing plays less attractive. Handling the blitz is one of the biggest issues for passing oriented teams, as there are endless ways that an opposing defense can bring pressure and attempting to respond to all of them with hot reads or audibles quickly becomes complicated. It takes accumulation of hours and hours of film study, experience, and accumulation of muscle memory for the quarterback to master defenses, reads, throws, verbiage, and countless other skills that allows the QB to be so precise with his passing game. I truly believe that pass plays average over 60% more yards per play. I remember my father telling me back in the early '70s, teams passed about 80% as often as they ran the ball. Now, the average team passes about 40% more often than they run the ball. The running game was paramount then, because passing wasn't a very attractive option. If you could run and stop the run, you could win. And that's why we probably still hear that phrase today.

Truly, I believe both running and passing game are very effective and the way ahead.

Last edited:
The Middle Creek passing game isn't working good enough, so the new staff is being taught Triple Option. Might as well bring back Hoggard & get rid of these weird looking guys coaching our team.

What do you mean by the weird-looking guys coaching our team. Is this an example to go along with the belief that a certain type of Richmond athlete couldn't be taught to pass. I think we all know where this type of thinking belongs, "Back In The 1860's" . This is why the old regime had to go, along with all the fanboys and "Good Ole Boys". As far as what's going to happen with the Raiders I also said that they are going to astonish all of you naysayers. Since I'm not Nostrodamus, I can't guarantee total State Championship Domination like the folks from Scotland Co.

Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
What do you mean by the weird-looking guys coaching our team. Is this an example to go along with the belief that a certain type of Richmond athlete couldn't be taught to pass. I think we all know where this type of thinking belongs, "Back In The 1860's" . This is why the old regime had to go, along with all the fanboys and "Good Ole Boys". As far as what's going to happen with the Raiders I also said that they are going to astonish all of you naysayers. Since I'm not Nostrodamus, I can't guarantee total State Championship Domination like the folks from Scotland Co.
You better just hope for a win Friday night against a very good team.....nuff said...

You better just hope for a win Friday night against a very good team.....nuff said...
Why is it so hard for some people to give the coaches and kids this year a flippin chance? I'm already sick of seeing some people put both staff and team down already. If that's a true supporter and fan, please stay home and don't even turn radio on to listen to game. These kids deserve better.

Why is it so hard for some people to give the coaches and kids this year a flippin chance? I'm already sick of seeing some people put both staff and team down already. If that's a true supporter and fan, please stay home and don't even turn radio on to listen to game. These kids deserve better.
Hey, 23 ...If U dont think RR is a very good team then you better be at the game Friday...I dont know what they have back from last year but they gave us all we wanted.....My point is we better not be looking ahead to anything but RR......The Raiders have a chance but it will be a FIGHT, that is why we play the game....All we ask for is a chance and we have that on our field Friday night.........The challenge will be can the Raider defense stop the run and can the Raider team move the ball on the ground besides in the air....Lets wait and see what happens ...NOBODY will be pulling more for the Raiders than I will and that includes you.........nuff said...

Why is it 'challenge' to run?

You do know this guys focus is on the passing game, right? We will not run unless we can pass first.

Is this an example to go along with the belief that a certain type of Richmond athlete couldn't be taught to pass.

I've been covering the Raiders for 18 years, many of those speaking with the coaches on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Never once did any coach ever say that the players could not be taught to pass or catch. Seems like the old, "Tell a lie often enough and people will start believing it."

Why don't you just accept that the previous staffs preferred a "run first" philosophy. Some coaches believe in using the pass to open up the run while others believe in using the run to open up the pass. I actually agree with you that we didn't pass enough, but when we had a QB that could make the reads well enough and pass accurately, Hoggard turned them loose a la 2008.

Like many, I believe in a balanced attack. Some teams we'll have to beat with the pass and others with the run, but most will take a combination of the two. I hope we learn to do both well.

Good Luck to Castellano & Crew. Good Luck to Hoggard and his staff as well. As long as we don't play them, I hope they win. Go Raiders!!

Why is it 'challenge' to run?

You do know this guys focus is on the passing game, right? We will not run unless we can pass first.
Hey stud, where did I say that RR was not a good team? I was making reference to the people talking crap about the new staff and the kids without even giving them a chance. Everybody knows its going to be a long season with some bumps in the road but for some to come on here and act as though they should throw in the towel now is crazy. A lot of the kids see orare told what some of the so called fans say and that's what ticks me off. Its not fair to the kids. And as far as you pulling for them, hey I hope you do because I will be in it with them till the end whether they go 3-8, 8-3 or whatever.

First I wish the new coaches and team good luck.

I believe you have to be able to do both run and pass to be successful in 4a football. Successful meaning win a title. I also think you don't get a ring without a very good defense. There was simply nothing wrong with the offense I saw Richmond run against Butler last year. Run heavy to be sure but passed enough to be effective and it had Butler on its heels most of the night.

Cant be a run dominant team and win? Bull. 2013 Dudley was a heavy run team. 2013 Mallard Creek was a very run heavy team that worked some select passes of that run. WHat both of those schools also had in common was shut you down defenses and it is there where Richmond has come up short the past couple of years. You average 42 points a game your gonna win your fair share of games. Certainly cant turn it over 8 times like you did against Millbrook but I don't think you beat Wake the next week anyhow.

If the Raiders are gonna make a significant run anytime soon its the defense that needs to get much beter.

Go raiders.[/QUOTE]

You can be fine in more than one way. It will take a lot of deprograming in Richmond to get rid of the old ways.

There are still a lot of people that believe that u win by running the football and stoping the run.

New football is passing and defending the pass.

Really ???????

When it comes to winning in the NFL, passing is king. Rushing hardly matters.
playoff teams excel in passing, both throwing the ball on offense and preventing the pass on defense. Only 15 of 120 playoff teams in this era allowed more yards per pass attempt than they gained
https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/which-nfl-teams-make-and-win-in-the-playoffs/

This chart speaks for itself in support of claims that the NFL has transitioned to a passing league. Rushing offenses have proven more effective than passing offenses in just 2 of the past 22 NFL seasons (2005 and 1997). That is about 91% in favor of passing offenses. Prior to 1991, passing was the more effective offense in only 28 out of 59 years; about 53% in favor of rushing offenses. Overall, passing has proven to be more effective than rushing 59% of the time in NFL history.

http://www.besttickets.com/blog/evolution-of-nfl-offense/

I wonder if, at some point, when an offense is so much better at passing than running, should it abandon the run almost altogether. On top of the general imbalance in the league, some teams are just throwing away downs when calling conventional run plays. Of course, running and passing generally play off of each other in a game-theory sense. To be successful, passing needs the threat of running, and vice versa. But sometimes, the cost of running is so high for some offenses, that it would be worth the trade-off to forfeit the unpredictability and just pass nearly every down.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/search/label/run-pass balance

The NFL most certainly did not change into a “pass-first league” overnight.

The forward pass has had a slow evolution into becoming the preferred method of offense in the NFL. From teams running the ball more than 70 percent of the time in the early years of recorded stats (1930s), few teams really figured out how to dominate through the air back then.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...study-the-evolution-nfl-pass-run-ratio/15992/

(Yea really.)

There will always be exceptions to the rules but to deny that football is not only changing but has changed already is just being blind to the obvious.

Everything comes down from the NFL. Teams will show that from time to time you can win with a dominate run game but it is obviously an outlier and an exception to the new rules of football.

Are you talking about the Oklahoma team that threw the ball over 300 times and ran it over 500 times last year? Oklahoma’s problem is they haven’t had a QB. Trevor Knight, Blake Bell, Landry Jones.... Or, are you talking about the Oklahoma team that had a 1500+ yard rushing freshman last year?

I'm talking about the Oklahoma teams that used to run the wishbone under Switzer. They still hold most of the team and individual collegiate rushing records along with 3 National Championships. They were so good rushing they didn't need to throw. Also, they had some awesome defenses!! Sorry, probably before before your time!

I'm talking about the Oklahoma teams that used to run the wishbone under Switzer. They still hold most of the team and individual collegiate rushing records along with 3 National Championships. They were so good rushing they didn't need to throw. Also, they had some awesome defenses!! Sorry, probably before before your time!

Yeah, they were real good until they ran up against Jerome Brown and company. The option was dismantled.

And that was much longer than just a few years back. Maybe you are having reading and comprehension problems with your own post.

Last edited:
When the Sooners ran into jimmy Johnson and a real pro style passing game the option was dead. They could not handle it.

This is really not debatable at this point.

Just look at our raiders. The last staff opened it up and passed it all over the field and won it all. They went ground and pound and they are gone.

When the Sooners ran into jimmy Johnson and a real pro style passing game the option was dead. They could not handle it.

This is really not debatable at this point.

Just look at our raiders. The last staff opened it up and passed it all over the field and won it all. They went ground and pound and they are gone.
Yes, They were only 11-2.......Really.......This staff would take 11-2 right now and be REAL HAPPY........You been watching to much tv........To tell you the truth , I'd be happy to know we were going to be 11-2........But right now I just want to be 1-0....nuff said.....

Actually it's reading and watching tv. It's called keeping up with current events.

Try it sometime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT