ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond's Miles Grant

Anecdotal evidence of a few smart kids is not evidence of a great educational system.

You know that, right?

Or maybe evidence that kids who try with parents who care can and will be successful in Richmond County schools.

Most schools in the district actually score favorably compared to schools in other counties with the same income demographics.

The problem isn't the school system, it's the lack of employment opportunity. Many or even most of the "smart" kids I went to HS with no longer reside in Richmond County. There's just not much here to support a potentially high earning sector.

Well, guess what: Smart people produce smart children. If most of the smart people move away, and most of the "not smart" people stay in town, what are we supposed to expect?

If you keep doing what you have always done you will keep getting what you always got.

Originally posted by Heel yes:
If you keep doing what you have always done you will keep getting what you always got.
So you're saying the 2 parent family that pushes education will produce "smart" kids who perform well in school and not be a discipline problem. While, the single parent family who never considered education to be important will keep producing "dumb" trouble-making kids?

Originally posted by Football-Friday:

So you're saying the 2 parent family that pushes education will produce "smart" kids who perform well in school and not be a discipline problem. While, the single parent family who never considered education to be important will keep producing "dumb" trouble-making kids?
No, you are saying that bad kids come from bad families and good kid come from good families and there is nothing you can do.

I am saying that there are things that can be done to break that cycle but if you don't approach things in a different manner they will never get better and eventually reach a critical mass.

It is easy to understand why you can not understand that.

Richmond County is a community that is failing at everything and it will not be around forever if the residents there don't change. It was said a few post ago. "The smart people leave." Guess who that leaves to run the place?

The smart people see people that do not understand and don't really try to understand and they get frustrated with the status quo and they leave.

All available evidence points to a community that is failing but you and people like you want to argue the point instead of fixing a problem.

The smart people leave and this is my last post on the matter for the same reason. Nothing to see here, move along.

No, you are saying that bad kids come from bad families and good kid come from good families and there is nothing you can do.

I am saying that there are things that can be done to break that cycle but if you don't approach things in a different manner they will never get better and eventually reach a critical mass.

Richmond County is a community that is failing at everything and it will not be around forever if the residents there don't change. It was said a few post ago. "The smart people leave." Guess who that leaves to run the place?

The smart people see people that do not understand and don't really try to understand and they get frustrated with the status quo and they leave.

All available evidence points to a community that is failing but you and people like you want to argue the point instead of fixing a problem.

The smart people leave and this is my last post on the matter for the same reason. Nothing to see here, move along.
....not all the "Smart(ys)" leave.....there are a few that decided to stay....but sometimes when you try to make a difference it falls on deaf ears....

So true Raider Law Heel yes has for years claimed to be a Richmond fan and knows how run the football team,the school system and the county. But when given the chance to help get the kids to camps ect. He is unwilling to present himself to the people who know what kids need help. He is afraid to show his face and tell everyone who he is. If he has such great ideas why doesn't he run for office. If he thinks he has better ideas for educating the kids why doesn't he run for school board.
If he had read the articles about Coach Eutsler, he wood have learned that the Richmond County Schools have produced two university presidents that are currently in those positions. There is actually a third that has retired. He did not attend Rockingham but went to Rohanen all three of the presidents were from textile mill villages. The first head of the SC school for math and Science also came from Rockingham. I could go on and on. I think that Heel lives in Charlotte where he will find the Levine family(Family Dollar Stores), John Crosland was from a textile mill village, the past president the NC Bar Association(heel that is the lawyer group not the drinking group) is from Rockingham. I know at least two more top lawyers in charlotte that are from Rockingham.
Of course heel will say this is in the past and does not count in his thinking and that they had to leave to earn a living. Well we are doing the same thing today that we did in the past with of course the improvements that technology brings. I do agree with Heel on one thing enough has been said on this subject. There are just some people that are haters and you can't change that. If he dislikes this place so much and does not live here why does he bother..
I will say no more. I hope the season gets here fast so we can talk about football.

Complicated subject matter and its always easy to point fingers. Richmond County faces issues no different then many rural counties in NC and across the country. I don't disagree with the " get what you always got" statements but its an easy thing to type quite another to correct especially with zero skin in the game.

What I find laughable is the assumption that these are simply Richmond County issues and its because all the smart people have left that you have them. Trust me ... lot of those smart people living in thriving economic centers like Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta. You think they don't have issues with failing schools and a dysfunctional school system??

Its cultural, systematic and it extends far beyond the borders of Richmond County and its beloved Raiders.

Sure hope not he could be run out of the county on a rail. He could be sent in any direction N-S-E-W on one of the railroad lines that run out of here. I thought a while back he said he lived in the Charlotte area but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by AREGOOD:
Sure hope not he could be run out of the county on a rail. He could be sent in any direction N-S-E-W on one of the railroad lines that run out of here. I thought a while back he said he lived in the Charlotte area but I could be wrong.
...I grew up with this guy.....has been a smartass his whole life....you would think all that this guy has been through he would be a bit more humble.....I guess he went the other route.....bitter at the world!!

Law,please give us some clues....
wink.r191677.gif
..nuff said...

raiderlaw you grew up with HeelYes or are you referring the guy that now lives in Charlotte that went to Richmond with you? Sure they are not the same poster.

It's pretty obvious "you" don't understand my point.

It ALL starts with the parents, that's how you break your cycle as you call it. If "some" parents would start emphasizing education more then it would assist those in the educational field. If some would stop having kids to just get a check and actually raise their child up right, that would assist as well, and again break your cycle. When a kid is 5 years behind when they enter school, they tend to stay behind.

From my dealings, Richmond County has plenty of "smart" people and plenty trying to make a difference in the county, but they also have a fair share of "dumb" ones. I've even noticed some of the latter get on here from time to time. Those also tend to be the ones that play the blame game or throw out the race card when needed.
grin.r191677.gif

Easy solution for you know-it-alls, get your degree and get in the Educational field or get into another job to help the community. Don't play the blame game because that qualifies you for one of the above categories.

By the way, congratulations to the 6 young men who were good enough at football and educated enough to go on to the next level of athletic competition. Congratulations to the coaches & teachers for having them prepared. Also, Congratulations to the Beta Club winners and all the adults that assisted them. It appears from this that Richmond County is indeed performing well and has lots to be proud of.
happy0030.r191677.gif

By the way, congratulations to the 6 young men who were good enough at football and educated enough to go on to the next level of athletic competition. Congratulations to the coaches & teachers for having them prepared.

You meant thank you parents (CORRECT) for having them prepared because if not, then your post is contradicting itself…….

Absolutely, that was without saying. Thought that was a given from what I had been posting on this thread.

The others deserve Congratulations too since "some" don't ever seem to recognize them!
happy0005.r191677.gif

Absolutely, that was without saying. Thought that was a given from what I had been posting on this thread.

The others deserve Congratulations too since "some" don't ever seem to recognize them!
happy0005.r191677.gif
I knew what you meant Football-Friday and I totally agree with everything you said. Obviously, some weren't hip to the lingo and how it was expressed.

A lot of interesting thoughts. I love Richmond County, and I still try to make it back for 1-2 games each year. I had an awesome time in high school, and I still keep in touch with old teachers and coaches. However, I would not want to take my family there. There isn't a lot of opportunity for growth, currently. We stay just outside of Matthews. I can make it down to see family in an hour's drive, and I have Charlotte in my backyard. Union County schools are supposedly some of the best in the state, for when that time comes.

Also, to clarify, I don't lay any of the problems with Richmond County at the feet of coaches and teachers. They do a fantastic job with scant resources. It's just a tough area, similar to surrounding counties Anson and Scotland (Scotland was recently revealed to be the "poorest" county in the state).

btango's post about losing desire after Raider Football is spot on, at least for me. I was recruited by Davidson, but decided to go to Wingate because I wanted to go to pharmacy school where I completed undergraduate prerequisites. This narrowed my choices to Campbell, Wingate, and UNC (Jerry McGee had a hand in my choosing Wingate). I knew I wasn't a particularly good player, but thought that I might walk on at Wingate to long snap. A few weeks into winter workouts, I just wasn't having fun and decided to give it up. Not to mention that I needed to focus on coursework if I wanted to get into pharmacy school. When you go from playing in front of a crowd of 8-10,000 at Memorial Stadium in the fourth round against Independence, other opportunities can lose some of their luster. This isn't the best example to corroborate btango's thoughts, as I wasn't on scholarship, but I can definitely agree.

P.S. I have been lurking on this site for over 10 years, and have enjoyed reading posts from many of you who are in the know concerning high school football.

I have really enjoyed watching RC football and wouldn't trade growing up on the farm in RC for anything. I travel the Carolina's and sometimes different states. We moved out of RC a while back as we wanted to be in a more desirable re-sale area. RC along with many neighboring and Eastern NC counties now struggle with resources/financials as the manufacturing/textile based economy has all but dissappeared. Football is the biggest thing going and it helps bring the community together. Great fan support and atmosphere created for High School football.

The fact that some of these kids don't get the support they need at home makes it tough as it can be hard to find outside of home. There are some good folks that try to help fill the gap, but nothing better than a strong foundation at home. I am sure all areas struggle in this department somewhat and in spots, but resources are more abundant in some other areas. I continue to follow the team and go to most of the games. Great tradition, but high school football has stepped up a few notches, especially in the Charlotte area. Many programs have stepped it up a notch across the state. Scotland is a great example of an economically challenged area that is doing a great job with it's talent. If Bailey can keep the bar high, then it is proof positive the coaching staff can make a huge difference. I think the RC staff does a great job overall with what they have.

It's great to see the kids that go on to be succesful and get an education they wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do w/o football. It's always similiarily as bad when the grades stop them from these opportunities.

I have seen what Btango is talking about for years. Going all the way back to Rockingham High School. A friend who recently passed away had this attitude. He started at NC State for 3 years but even on the larger stage at NC State he did not want to play. His Soph. year he tried to quit but his dad told coach Edwards to keep him on the team and he would pay for his scholarship. He was on one of State's all time great teams. This team was known for the white shoes the defense wore. The offense was led by Jim Donnan former coach at GA. and Chuck Amato on defense whom I think most everyone will know. At a recent gathering of the old Rockingham football team we were talking about this. He told one of his his best friends how after high school he just lost his desire to play. I hate to think what he could have done if he wanted to play. He had just become burned out with football.

This post was edited on 2/23 9:50 AM by AREGOOD

Originally posted by btango:
raiderlaw you grew up with HeelYes or are you referring the guy that now lives in Charlotte that went to Richmond with you? Sure they are not the same poster.
btango....I know who both are.....but they are two different people.....

Originally posted by raiderLAW:

Originally posted by btango:
btango....I know who both are.....but they are two different people.....
Law , how about them clues...or heck just the name ...nuff said..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT