ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond's Miles Grant

Heel yes

Feb 6, 2003
What happened with his recruitment? Everyone said his grades were in order. Why didn't he get an offer?

Not sure about his grades. Also has to do with core class GPA in addition to overall GPA and SAT score on a sliding scale plus having certain classes.

It takes a lot more than playing great on Friday night to get noticed.

Miles had a better overall career than Dakwa Nichols, but Nichols was recruited by several D1 schools, and has made a spot for himself at NC State.

I don't know much about Miles, but I do know Dakwa went to combines, camps, comes from a great family who helped him through the process basically his whole life, and Dakwa was and still is a great student.

I think that's something the community, especially the parents, need to understand. Putting up numbers on Friday night isn't gonna get you recognized unless you are an underclassman. You've got to get your name out there early, and at a school like Richmond, it's tough to get on the field as a Freshman or Sophomore. And it's not up to the coaches to get every kids name out there. It's up to the parents and the kid himself.

Believe it when I say that the HS coaches get kids names out. The problem has nothing to do with going to combines. In many cases iyt has a lot to do with the personality and attitude of the kid himself as well as how he presents himself. Plus the grades are the no. 1 factor. Coaches love kids who are outstanding students who also are involved with academic honorary clubs and clubs that are community oriented.

People were saying grades were in order and that he had offers.

I couldn't imagine a lot of backs in nc better than him.

Not even coastal or app or pembroke?

Wtf

The worst thing a parent could do, is leaving it up to his Coach. Attending Day Camps at perspective schools is probably the best route. Make sure you find out what Coach recruits your area, introduce yourself to your position Coach. Shake his hand and give him your transcript and highlights. Find out how many players they are bringing in at your position. If a college happens to offer you. Continue to communicate with them through out the process. If they stop answering your calls, most likely they have moved on, or they will tell you. (It's business) Do not take it personally. If you cannot control yourself with putting stupid stuff on social media, than you should shut it down. It takes a lot of work for Coaches to work the phones getting their kids exposure, so every little bit helps. If you are not taking care of business in the Class Room? Stop playing Football! College football is not for you. Unless you are going to make some drastic changes, you are most likely a drop out candidate.

Parents get involved!
This post was edited on 2/5 2:17 PM by nepsy7

It's one thing to get offers, it's another thing to actually get a scholarship.

As pointed out, offers have an expiration date. Schools aren't gonna wait on you. There's literally thousands of kids that want to play football.

I hear lots of 'duh' generalities but does anyone actually know what happened in this particular case?

After meeting some of his family members 'once' and seeing the raw talent I would have thought he was high div 1 talent.

High D1 talent I am not sure but D1 talent seems logical.

I think what was posted about Miles is a good kid and does ok in school. What keeps a lot players out of D1A schools are core classes and the sliding scale GPA. Some of the better student athletes at Richmond have had to take the SAT/ACT more than once to qualify.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:57 PM by btango

I'm sure there is someone who knows, but there is a chance the reason is something the player might not want to be public knowledge.

Thus, you will get generalizations rather than hardcore facts.

How about let's congratulate the 6 who did sign Letters of Intent.

Kevin Norton - OL - Catawba
Cyrus Stanback - DL - NC Central
Desmomd Marshall - WR - Guilford
Montek Johnson - WR - Guilford
Gus Chambers - LB - Guilford
Shawn Everrett - DB - UNCP

Others may sign later according to the local newspaper.

Originally posted by Heel yes:
Your an idiot
There are about a million different avenues for Mr. Grant and his family to express to the public why he hasn't signed a LOI. There are at least 4 or 5 reasons why that announcement still may be forthcoming. My guess is that if they wanted the public to know the reasons then the public would know.

So go back to bashing his coach or making snide accusations about the integrity of other programs with zero proof. Its what your good at.

The worst thing a parent could do, is leaving it up to his Coach.

Not true. When i was recruiting I found that his coach was the best source. I tried not to deal with parents until I was ready to amke an offer. The problem with parents is that they all think their son is the real deal. Camp attendance is a good thing. A transcript is only official if it comes from the school. I never wanted to see highlight videos. I wanted to see the entire game. You can make a mediocre player look like an all american if you only pick out his best plays. When I talked to his coach and saw some game film I would then attend a few of his toughest games because I wanted to see him against quality opponents. I have no idea why you are negative towards the coaches because my experience was that they were my best sources for not only his players but other kids their teams played against. Unless you have ever been in the recruiting business I doubt that you actually know what goes on.

Not negative towards Coaches at all. I only suggested parents should get involved. If you believe a Kid & parent should sit back and wait on the coach? You have been out of the recruiting game for a long time. A parent does not need to have conversations with coaches to be involved.

When watching film you're looking for football moves on highlight reels. You might need to sit down with someone and have them teach you how to watch film. Highlights or actual game film matters not. While you are watching game film. I have already evaluated 4 different players watching highlights. Film no lie at the end of the day. If you had a problem dealing with parents? It's good your not in the business any longer. Just tell them the truth and keep it moving. Coaches ask kids at camps all day, what type grades do you have? What wrong with having a copy of your transcript? It does not matter if it's official. It's just a resume to get you started.

Who said coaches were not a good source?

So you don't like dealing with parents?. You can only evaluate players through watching game film? You need to attend a few of his toughest games? You sound like someone who needs to come off the road and answer the phones and take messages,or shadow someone who knew what the hell he was doing...lol

This post was edited on 2/6 8:05 AM by nepsy7

To do my part I will drive any RC football player to any camp he wants to go to in the future if that is a problem.

Just get up with me here and it is done, no questions asked.

Make sure you find out what Coach recruits your area,
introduce yourself to your position Coach. Shake his hand and give him
your transcript and highlights. Find out how many players they are
bringing in at your position.

It is OK for the parents to communicate through his HS
coach. Can you imagine if every parent carried on a running conversation
with a college coach. Do you understand what a day in the life of a college recruiter is like? Say my recruiting area is from Raleigh to Winston Salem. I leave out at 6 AM every morning and travel to the farthest school in my area and arrive there at 8 AM. I have 10 schools on my list today. I spend time at each school and work my way back toward Raleigh because I have a coaches meeting at 2 PM and practice at 3 PM. We meet after practice for 2 hours. Between 7 PM and 9 PM I make phone calls. I then work on my practice schedule plan for the next day until midnight. I also have to spend time with my family in between doing all of this. I don't have time to communicate with 50 parents. I barely have enough time to communicate with the ones I want to offer a scholarship to.

If a college happens to offer you.
Continue to communicate with them through out the process.

A total different set of circumstances. This is OK.

Attending Day Camps at perspective schools is probably the
best route.

Like I said this is a good thing.

You might need to sit down with someone and have them teach you how to watch film. Highlights or actual game film matters not.
Now that is funny. My guess is I have watched more film in my lifetime than you will ever watch. I have evaluated more players than you will ever evaluate. Why don't you educate the rest of us on the finer points of what to look for when evaluating a player at a certain position. Include a copy of your evaluation sheet while you are at it. Tell us some of the factors involved in deciding between three players when you only have one scholarship to offer at that position. The fact is seeing a game in person gives you so much more than seeing a kid on film, video, DVD or HUDL.

It was not that long ago that I was in the recruiting game and my techniques worked well.

This post was edited on 2/6 11:09 AM by No.1RamsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 11:14 AM by No.1RamsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 11:15 AM by No.1RamsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 11:25 AM by No.1RamsFan

Heel yes. What you are doing is a good thing. Especially if you are the only transportation the kid has. I would recommend one thing. To cover yourself I would make sure that you also take along a family member as well for a variety of reasons.

I can't help you on your reading comprehension. Never said Coaches are the worst source, and never said parents should be doing all of the contacting? I prefer they not. Please stop with the Dick measuring contest. You were a horrible recruiter, and it shows in your comments. I doubt very seriously if you ever recruited anyone. Please stop telling people you were in the recruiting game. I'm embarrassed for you. Thank God you got out of the business.

I gave some very constructive information about different ways to get noticed. I will continue to load up my car and take kid's to camps and Jr days every week. We will have our highlights that you don't like, and they will also have copies of their transcripts because Coaches seem to ask about them on every trip. I will continue to explain to parents about registering for Clearing House, and that every kid is not FBS FCS or letting them know little Johnny's Football days might be over. I also have dialog with NCAA eligibility on a monthly bases. Traveling with one of the top recruiting groups on the Southeast for free. In the end i get to watch kids that I touch sign their letter of intent on National Signing Day.

You on the other hand are scared of parents, have no clue on how to watch film and your no longer in the business!

My son went through the process. I never reached out to one single Coach. They reached out to me. I thought him how to handle it himself. Where did i say parents should be contacting Coaches? I did not! My direction were for the recruit. Not the parent.

Man go sit your Monkey Ass Down. Nothing worst than being the biggest Idiot in the room and not knowing it.

This post was edited on 2/6 1:19 PM by nepsy7

To do my part I will drive any RC football player to any camp he wants to go to in the future if that is a problem.

The coaches at Richmond bring players to camps and combines. See them at many of these. They also take players to colleges for visits and to D2 schools for workouts. When you get to one of the D2 workouots you need to be all in and show your best stuff that day or they will not offer what one would hope for.

Heel Yes! If you have a relationship with the program. Make the Coach aware where you are taking the kid so you will be on the same page. Sit down with the parent and explain the details of the trip. If needed there are waiver and release forms you can have them sign off on to protect yourself. No need to load up the car with 6 players and a family member. It's a business trip.
You don't take your friend with you on a interview. Trust me! A family member will be in the way.

Richmond staff is real good with working and taking their kids to Camps.
This post was edited on 2/6 1:58 PM by nepsy7

The worse thing a parent could do would be leaving it up to a coach.
That is exactly what you said. Nothing wrong with my reading
comprehension.You don't know me so why
do you think you know how successful I was as a recruiter? I don't care
what you think about me. Keep on
posting all of these ridiculous comments. It makes you look bad. BTW where are the evaluation sheets I asked you to post? All of your negative comments mean nothing to me. I know who I am and what I have done. I don't care what your thoughts are about me because you are making all of these ridiculous comments about someone you know nothing about. I don't need to use any of the negative phrases toward you that you use toward me to make myself feel important. Unlike you I can post a statement and not make myself look bad. To me that is a sign of intelligence. But you keep on because it appears to me that you are incapable of carrying on an intelligent conversation. People tend to cover up this inability when they use demeaning comments. So carry on. BTW what is the name of the group you travel with free?

Where did i say parents should be contacting Coaches?
Continue to communicate with them through out the process. If they stop answering your calls, most likely they have moved on.

Nothing worst than being the biggest Idiot in the room and not knowing it.
You should know this first hand.

Heels yes. A Child Travel Consent Form is what it is called. My comment about taking a parent was made in case you are taking one kid by himself. You never want to be in the car alone with a kid. That would be a dangerous thing to do. You have to protect yourself. Some people do not understand the legal consequences of doing this.

Where did i say parents should be contacting Coaches?
Continue to communicate with them through out the process. If they stop answering your calls, most likely they have moved on.

Those instruction were for the recruit Moron! Not the parent. As I said before. I can't help you with the reading comprehensive part. You assumed I was talking about parents. If you actually received a check every month for the lack on knowledge that you have? Every kid on the planet has a shot.

Parents should not leave the recruiting process up to the Coach. Getting involved means make sure your kids are taking care of business in the class room, Get them into one day camps at Colleges, Learn the business side of the process, Monitor your kids social media accounts. If they need assistance with ACT or SAT prep? Make sure they have the proper scores to qualify.

Please name the Coach in College Football that would have a problem with parents helping out with those particulars?

Stop being so damn condescending and acting like you know it all. You can't even read and comprehend a simple sentence. How and the hell could you evaluate anyone?

You being a IDIOT is not my problem.
This post was edited on 2/6 3:21 PM by nepsy7

Originally posted by btango:

The coaches at Richmond bring players to camps and combines. See them at many of these. They also take players to colleges for visits and to D2 schools for workouts. When you get to one of the D2 workouots you need to be all in and show your best stuff that day or they will not offer what one would hope for.
Agreed! Richmond coaches take players to camps & combines all the time. The ones that work college camps, take some of their players with them also. Coach Hoggard is forever taking kids to colleges for visits too.

ALL of these are things "some" don't see, so I'd imagine this was an underhanded comment directed toward the coaches in some manner since "1" kid didn't sign. No praise for the "6" that did!

If you think the Richmond coaches take the players to the camps you better keep guessing I know first hand they don't unless some of the D1 schools invite certain players. @Nep, Btango, and Blue&Gold22 you cannot tell me that Butler and Mallard Creek has 3 to 4 D1 players on their team every year and Richmond has 1 or 2 every 3 or 4 years. I bet Mallard Creek sends their entire team to UNC, NC STATE, and APP. State camps; VTO and NIKE SPARQ camps.Sending the kids to Catawba and UNCP camps is not going to cut it. I would like to personally thanks coach Norton for his efforts in wanting to take the kids to the camps. The parents are going to have to get off there ASS and send the kids to the camps as well as get off there ASS again and have these kids hit the BOOKS…….D. Nichols was not a better running back then Diquan nor Miles but his grades were as well as his SAT you can't blame that on the coaches……

Dcov-

Nepsy has a much stronger understandings of the inner workings of the Mallard Creek program but the answer is YES. There is a premium put on not only winning state championships but also getting kids football scholarships. That premium begins day one of HS and involves both physical development as a player but also a understanding of academic requirements.

Both the Wake and UNC camps last year had anywhere between 10-15 Creek boys attending at various stages of development and this is a pretty normal occurrence. Watching closely last year you could tell that relationships with college coaches have developed over time because the top tier MC kids were all being called out by first names or nicknames and when kids were being selected to lead drills often times it was Creek kids. I believe this is a portion of the reason for their success both on the field as well as on NSD.

As to who takes the lead I would say it is a collaborative effort amongst coaches, parents, alumni of program and last but certainly not least a very close network of former parents ( Like Nepsy) who are still very involved with the program and seeing young people succeed in life.

Creek has some advantages- Charlotte is the location of many of the camps you mentioned and indeed Rivals, VTO, etc,etc practically live on the Creek field during camp season. This is by design as well.

There is a myth that has grown in the past 12-18 months that somehow coaching at Mallard Creek is simply a push button job where athletes show up in ready made fashion as 14 year olds and they just crank out successful teams. Like many myths it is born of jealousy and envy. Palmieri and his staff are committed to the development of student athletes and work extremely hard at the process. Results speak for themselves.

Richmond had 1 possible D1 player this year and he went to every camp possible. The school he wanted to attend didn't work out, so he settled elsewhere. Grant went to camps also, so grades or social media may have something to do with it.
Those coaches that "some" bash all the time must not be so bad at Richmond since they can beat teams that do have D1 talent.

The Charlotte area schools have benefited with the NFL being in Charlotte. When former NFL players retire, they "help" out in the community whether by holding camps/combines. Some go into personal training and coaching.

Originally posted by Deana_King:
The Charlotte area schools have benefited with the NFL being in Charlotte. When former NFL players retire, they "help" out in the community whether by holding camps/combines. Some go into personal training and coaching.
See a lot of them. Randy Moss was coaching at Victory Christian last season where his son played. Not the first NFLer to coach there. CMS has had several former NFLers on various staffs as do the privates. If you want individual training there are plenty of them out there with college and NFL resumes. Youth ball also has a lot of former college and NFLers working with them.

Originally posted by dcov33:
If you think the Richmond coaches take the players to the camps you better keep guessing I know first hand they don't unless some of the D1 schools invite certain players. @Nep, Btango, and Blue&Gold22 you cannot tell me that Butler and Mallard Creek has 3 to 4 D1 players on their team every year and Richmond has 1 or 2 every 3 or 4 years. I bet Mallard Creek sends their entire team to UNC, NC STATE, and APP. State camps; VTO and NIKE SPARQ camps.Sending the kids to Catawba and UNCP camps is not going to cut it. I would like to personally thanks coach Norton for his efforts in wanting to take the kids to the camps. The parents are going to have to get off there ASS and send the kids to the camps as well as get off there ASS again and have these kids hit the BOOKS…….D. Nichols was not a better running back then Diquan nor Miles but his grades were as well as his SAT you can't blame that on the coaches……
I have seen Richmond players at camps, combines, and 7 on 7's.

Coach Norton has brought players to Shrine Bowl combines for a few years. Had two make the team last year. One was being recruited by D1A schools but did not sign with one. He will go to college absolutely free though and be where he felt the most comfortable.

The issue that a lot of Richmond kids have when it comes to qualifying for a D1 school is the scores on the SAT/ACT.

When a kid gets a shot at a D2 school to look at him in "workout setting" he needs to show up 100% on his A game.

I noticed that Coach Fedora from UNC went to Paul Hoggard to speak to him at the coaches clinic today. Very familiar with one another.

Originally posted by Football-Friday:

Richmond had 1 possible D1 player this year and he went to every camp possible. The school he wanted to attend didn't work out, so he settled elsewhere. Grant went to camps also, so grades or social media may have something to do with it.
Those coaches that "some" bash all the time must not be so bad at Richmond since they can beat teams that do have D1 talent.
Want to be clear. I wasn't bashing Richmond coaches as I have little knowledge of that situation. Just answering the question about Mallard Creek.

When you say richmond had only one div 1 caliber player if you mean they only had one with the grades to go with the athletic ability you would be correct.

If you mean they only had one with the athletic ability you would be wrong.

Richmond county is letting a lot of these kids down. Academically speaking a lot of people have given up on these kids long before high school and that attitude carries through.

Please name the d1 players on the Richmond County 2014 roster .....I just didn't see any, with the exception of our left tackle......We had some good players , but none that jumped out with D1 talent.....Speed or size was the number one problem ....Very few 6' to 6'1" offensive linemen in D1, very few secondary players that don't run at least min. of 4.6 in the 40.....Those coaches know what they are looking for , they do that for a living...I would like to see a group of d1 players every year from RC.....JUST NOT THE CASE THIS PAST YEAR...CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 6 THAT DID GET OFFERS.......Hopefully one or two more in the near future , or at least a preferred walk on , with a chance to receive a scholarship...
Just proves what a great job the coaching staff did with the players they had ...They worked their rear ends off every day , the staff and players....It's always disappointing to end the season , but it happens to every team but one in each level...So many negative people ...Hopefully the RC boys and staff are preparing for 2015.....Looking forward to something special....I have confidence in our returning players and staff to improve on 2014...nuff said..
This post was edited on 2/8 2:24 PM by raiderstud

YES I AM...He is a hard runner, good vision, good hands, and a good practice player....What I think he lacks is that extra break away step speed that a D1 back should have..., If you don't have that combination of unusual speed and cutting ability, then you need the next thing which would be extra size...6'1' or above and carrying a solid 200 lbs plus......I think he would be an EXCELLENT D2 RUNNING BACK FOR WHOEVER DECIDES TO GIVE HIM THAT CHANCE , AND I THINK IT WILL COME IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS...If not some coaches are missing a golden nugget in the ruff...nuff said...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT