ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond's Miles Grant

Yeah to be D1 level, you have to be elite in one area or big for your skill set.

Miles was probably better than a guy like Nichols overall, but Nichols had acceleration that matches up with NFL standards, not just d1 standards. His shuttle runs were top of the line, and on film he can go from 0 to top speed in a flash.

@raiderstud can the players get some credit from you…… S. Ellerbe can play on any level, this kid runs like a 10.5 100m

Hey 33, you will never see me put down a Richmond County player or any player as far as that goes......You will not find anyone that pulls for the RAIDERS MORE THAN I DO......The coaching staff and the players from top to bottom......I know this to play on the D1 level today, you better have extraordinary speed and or size or hopefully a combination of both...Put that with a Big Heart and a ton of Desire and work ethics and you have a good shot at making it at the next level......Kids have only gotten bigger, faster and stronger since you played in the 95-96 era, I think....You had a big heart , and great work habits but lacked size and break away speed....33 please tell me since you know so much about the Raider program , who is S.Ellerbe......Come on man.....I know who you're talking about but I'll let you get all your facts straight before you reply again .....nuff said..

I will say this, I did lack in size blame that on my jackass Genes; but I did not lack in break away speed! You can ask anyone that played from 95-97 and they will tell you I was one of the top 2 fastest person on that team. I am a legit 4.4 forty man. At 35 I probably can outrun most high school kids if you don't believe me go ask "TANK" Diquan Cox. Matter of fact this is my personal email dcovington33@aol.com I will provide you with Charles McNeil, Michael "Rabbit" Waddell, Temus Terry, Marcus Ellerbe, and Michael Green # and they will tell you personally tell you if I get one step on you, you can turn off the lights…….

Richmond's biggest problem is the education system in Richmond County itself.

It should not be that hard at all to reach NCAA minimum standards but Richmond County has a reputation that you shouldn't even recruit there because it is next to impossible to get a kid through the NCAA clearinghouse.

That is not the students fault that is the fault of the people collecting checks and the people that give them their positions.
This post was edited on 2/9 9:38 AM by Heel yes

Originally posted by Heel yes:

Richmond's biggest problem is the education system in Richmond County itself.

It should not be that hard at all to reach NCAA minimum standards but Richmond County has a reputation that you shouldn't even recruit there because it is next to impossible to get a kid through the NCAA clearinghouse.

That is not the students fault that is the fault of the people collecting checks and the people that give them their positions.
This post was edited on 2/9 9:38 AM by Heel yes
Actually, A LOT or MOST of it is the fault of the parent! A child is an arrow in the hand of its father. Unfortunately, with the situation in Richmond County, many of those kids don't get aimed or are pointed in the wrong direction.

Heel Yes I have to disagree with you on your put down of Richmond County's education system. Richmond County at the time we were repeating our State Championships in football, was also repeating Beta Club championships. They had at least 10 beta club quiz bowl championships in a row. The last time I knew about it they had a total of 15 Beta Club championships. In these quiz bowls they compete against the best academic schools in the state. Chapel Hill and the school of math and science among others. In the last couple of weeks in Wilmington they had some type of banquet to honor two men for their service. It so happens that both men were Richmond SR. High grads and both were Morehead scholars. So the educational opportunities are there. You sound like some of the naysayer Richmond football fan.The problem in Richmond County is the same as it is all over the state. It is poverty. While all areas of the state have been hit by loss of jobs in some industries. Richmond was hit by loss in several industries that was the economic back bone of the county. First we lost the textile mills. Richmond count had one of the first textile mills to move out of the country. This was back in the middle 50's. The mill employed between 3 and 4 thousand people. At the time this was one third of the work force. Another big loss for the county was around 4,000 railroad jobs. This was the result of the merger of SCL and part of the New York Central. This moved the center of the railroad so many jobs were moved to Kentucky. These were high paying skilled jobs. We also lost a lot of farming jobs with the loss of tobacco. We had at least 4 furniture plants that were lost due to the furniture industry moving out of the country. So it is not people drawing a paycheck,it is not the coaches, administrators, or the teachers. It is simply poverty. It will take a while but Richmond County is working its way out of the poverty situation. A lot of people are having a hard time around here. It is not their fault either.

Originally posted by dcov33:
LOL, I bet he did go to a lot of camps; he was coach Norton son……..
Everytime you saw Norton the defensive lineman was with him.

That would be Cyrus Stanback......Both good kids , both good students...Two of the best we had...Good home backgrounds....Good team leaders everyday...They will be good college players......I would love to have seen Stanback and Norton on the same side of that offensive line a bit more ...That was an awesome package on short yardage situations....The kids are telling the weight lifting class is off the charts on effort...Great news to hear...nuff said...
Originally posted by btango:

LOL, I bet he did go to a lot of camps; he was coach Norton son……..
Everytime you saw Norton the defensive lineman was with him.

Originally posted by AREGOOD:
Heel Yes I have to disagree with you on your put down of Richmond County's education system. Richmond County at the time we were repeating our State Championships in football, was also repeating Beta Club championships. They had at least 10 beta club quiz bowl championships in a row. The last time I knew about it they had a total of 15 Beta Club championships. In these quiz bowls they compete against the best academic schools in the state. Chapel Hill and the school of math and science among others. In the last couple of weeks in Wilmington they had some type of banquet to honor two men for their service. It so happens that both men were Richmond SR. High grads and both were Morehead scholars. So the educational opportunities are there. You sound like some of the naysayer Richmond football fan.The problem in Richmond County is the same as it is all over the state. It is poverty. While all areas of the state have been hit by loss of jobs in some industries. Richmond was hit by loss in several industries that was the economic back bone of the county. First we lost the textile mills. Richmond count had one of the first textile mills to move out of the country. This was back in the middle 50's. The mill employed between 3 and 4 thousand people. At the time this was one third of the work force. Another big loss for the county was around 4,000 railroad jobs. This was the result of the merger of SCL and part of the New York Central. This moved the center of the railroad so many jobs were moved to Kentucky. These were high paying skilled jobs. We also lost a lot of farming jobs with the loss of tobacco. We had at least 4 furniture plants that were lost due to the furniture industry moving out of the country. So it is not people drawing a paycheck,it is not the coaches, administrators, or the teachers. It is simply poverty. It will take a while but Richmond County is working its way out of the poverty situation. A lot of people are having a hard time around here. It is not their fault either.
The GRC score indicates the level of math or reading achievement by the average student in a public school district when compared to all students in that state. The score represents the percentage of U.S. students who would have a lower level of achievement. For example, a percentile of 60 means the average student in a school district would perform better than 60% of the students in that state.

Richmond country 37% math 38% reading.

Case closed.

These kids are pushed to be great athletes in RC why not push them to be Average students?

One of the main reasons for industry moving out of Richmond county is the 37 and 38 percent figures listed.

If you owned a major business you would not want to have your future depend on those types of people. But if you are plucking chickens that is just about right.

RC needs to quit pointing fingers and look in the mirror. The education system in RC is broken and the people that run it are failures.

And this is not blaming the students. They need to be pushed harder.

I was a very good student and never had to carry a book home. I was not pushed as a very good student and the poor students are ignored even more.

We were kids and they are still kids and they don't know what is best or how to achieve it. They need to be pushed in everything they do.

Growing up I was in the 5th grade before a teacher ever assigned home work. I have lived in a lot of places and the RC school district is the worst I have heard of.

The kids that excel do it in spite of the schools not because of them.

Heel , we have two kids that will be attending football camp at ECU......All expenses paid by a private individual who graduated from ECU........Except the transportation...That is where you come in...It will be in the month of June....Please get in touch with one of the coaches soon so we can get this finalized....I was a graduate of RSH, and I remember having homework every night.....You must have been in the EC program.....nuff said..

And this is not blaming the students. They need to be pushed harder.

I was a very good student and never had to carry a book home. I was not pushed as a very good student and the poor students are ignored even more.

We were kids and they are still kids and they don't know what is best or how to achieve it. They need to be pushed in everything they do.

Growing up I was in the 5th grade before a teacher ever assigned home work. I have lived in a lot of places and the RC school district is the worst I have heard of.

The kids that excel do it in spite of the schools not because of them.
That is one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever read on here. I know plenty of families who have kids in the elementary schools as well as the High School in Richmond County and they ALL have more than enough homework they have to do.

Football-Friday was right about where the problem lies.

Hold up, Hold your horses! EDUCATION starts at home, we should not depend on teachers or coaches. As parents we have to make sure our kids or pushed until they reach their maximum potential. My son has tutoring Tuesday-Thursday and it's not that he cannot do the work I just would like to keep him ahead of the game. My son is in Pre-Algebra in the 7th grade, he made an A the 1st and 2nd grading period, he said dad I made and A why do you keep wasting your money paying for tutoring; To make a long story short I laughed and said in about 15 years I will feel like that little investment was worth it and you will too. Let's be honest guys majority of the Football team is 85% to 90% Afro-Americans residing in single parent homes. Growing up in the Afro-American communities we had a Basketball goal in every neighborhood but in OTHER neighborhoods those kids had library cards, access to computers, and other helpful information to become successful in school; Until our Black parents and yes I said it black-parents stop putting a basketball or football in our kids hands before they can walk the cycle will continue. It's a lot of former football players that would love to comeback and give back to our community but we would need help from everyone. I ask myself how can the parents teach there kids about academics when majority of them only have a high school diploma because the one's that went off to college never came back to R.C. because of no decent JOBS. Just a fan point of view from the outside looking in.

Hold up, Hold your horses! EDUCATION starts at home, we should not depend on teachers or coaches.
That's exactly what I said in a very eloquent way! "Some" don't agree though. It's all about the blame game!

@Raiderstud I am dying to find out who you are, me, Temus, Rabbit, and Hamilton C. were talking today and I was telling them what you said and I'm old school you call me out and I'm ready to race…….

@Raiderstud I am dying to find out who you are, me, Temus, Rabbit, and Hamilton C. were talking today and I was telling them what you said and I'm old school you call me out and I'm ready to race…….
Now lets see , you said "Rabbit, Marcus , Temus, Charles and Micheal......Don't believe the Clark boys could run with that group....Especially Smoke...You might beat one of them....Maybe.........That's a big maybe...You keep that boy of yours on the right track with those grades.... I'll set you up with a couple offensive linemen , you and the Clark boys....Do what....
roll.r191677.gif
..nuff said...

And those numbers were 37%

That is damn near short bus for the average. Call it whatever you want but what is going on in RC isn't working.

Who do you want me to get up with?
Any football coach...Tell them you are Heel yes...They will be glad to tell you the information....Maybe just come by the office and introduce yourself..thanks ...nuiff said

@raiderstud, I tell you what this better not be Smoke messing with me on here……………………………

Now lets see , you said "Rabbit, Marcus , Temus, Charles and Micheal......Don't believe the Clark boys could run with that group....Especially Smoke...You might beat one of them....Maybe………That's a big maybe…

Out of this group Rabbit may be me 3 out of 5 times or vice versa……….

This post was edited on 2/9 9:02 PM by dcov33

@raiderstud, I tell you what this better not be Smoke messing with me on here……………………………

Now lets see , you said "Rabbit, Marcus , Temus, Charles and Micheal......Don't believe the Clark boys could run with that group....Especially Smoke...You might beat one of them....Maybe………That's a big maybe…

Come on man...U know Smoke aint this smart....Dem above boys ran scared , that was why they were so Fast in game action.....U livin in that Nam section or on the JB side of it...U must be got hold of some of that FAYETNAM JUICE.....U keep pushing that little d to do his best in academics , and all will work out....Daddy knows from experience....Good luck in the guessing game ....nuff said......
wink.r191677.gif

@Raiderstud I finally found out who you are; Smoke told me to tell you that you have not played football since your pee wee days at RFS&B/L…lol

What Richmond really needs is a NEW Varsity Girls Basketball coach. They 2-17. Use to regularly be at top of conference and make playoffs when Nellie coached. This lady now is too busy out partying in public with her boyfriend instead of coaching up the team. Smh

At least the Boys team has already clinched a share of the Conference Championship!

you forgot Vegas Jackson...btw Robinette payed for all the above names to attend camp etc.....and gave them the ride!!....what have you done to help out the cause cuz.....don't get me started.....do ya wanna go there??!!

Thought you might be serious, carry on.
..I'm serious....just call and tell them you want to help out with the program........make the call....and stop with the "lip service".....you know you want no part of helping out the Raider program.....

@Raiderlaw 1st Vegas Jackson cannot run, 2nd who in the He** is Robinette, and 3rd all that da** money the football team brings in I am pretty sure they have some petty cash to send those boys off to camp. I spoke with Smoke and he said he paid his own way to go to camp, let me call some more off that list to find out who in the HE** is Robinette……………

Robinette probably does as much, if not more, for the athletic programs at Richmond than anyone.

So very true Btango. He also does not seek or want publicly for the things he does. He does a lot more besides athletics for the county that no one will ever know about. Like most people who are in the position Robinette is in he wants to give back to the community. We have a group of people here in the county that over the years have supported the athletic program at Richmond and other things in the county. When the new Weight Room was built some years back my uncle the athletic Director was given a check for $20,000.00 for it on condition that the donor remained anonymous. This person also gives to various projects in the county beside just athletics. Darnell Ellerbe has been giving back to the kids of the county for the last several years. There are several more people that just prefer to remain anonymous while helping people in the county.

This post was edited on 2/11 9:41 PM by AREGOOD

This post was edited on 2/11 9:43 PM by AREGOOD

Also I talked to a board member the other night and he had hot heard that Miles had not signed. He told me that Miles was a good kid and had good academic skills. He said that he was surprised that Miles had not signed with someone. So I think it is best to leave it their and wait to see what develops from here.

#2 confirmed but had to work that weekend, he was given the opportunity to go to UNC, NC State, & Tennessee Camp. MAN it really shows what I was unaware of; I will take this one under the chin………………

Quote from someone that is fairly knowledgeable about Richmond County and Richmond football. "The kids love to play for the Raiders but after that is over they do not have the same desire."

He went onto say that this was mostly with players that would go to D2 schools and not the larger schools. At Richmond you play in front of big crowds, hostile environments, and the team/game is the talk of the town. A lot of D2 schools do not measure up to playing at Richmond.

May be totally off but just one man's opinion.

For anyone who has questions about the quality of education in Richmond County I am attaching the results of what the Richmond kids did at the State Beta club contest recently. Notice tat the Richmond's teams took took 2nd in special talent and third in Quiz Bowl.They compete against the very best in the state. This just shows that the education opportunities are available to anyone in Richmond County that wants to take advantage of them.

Embodying its mission statement of achievement, character, leadership and service, 36 Richmond Senior High School students recently attended the State Beta Convention, with several qualifying for nationals. Special congratulations go to Angela Chen for placing first in Biology, Jenna Graham for taking second in Colored Pencil Drawing, Josh Brewer for being named number two in the Science Division I and Hannah Craven for receiving third in Acrylic Painting. As for Special Talent, Brayden Thomas, Allison Roberts, Cassie McFayden and Justin Smith took third. And, Angela Chen, Molly Russell, Ibrahim Henson, Gabrielle Eaton, Miranda Haltom, and Mara Cobb place second in the State for Quiz Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT